As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Urban Dead] If TITZ hits Mycock enough times, WANG will explode all over them.

Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
First thread.
Second thread.

Op lovingly stolen from Colt

23ucz9c.gif

In death, the city stirs. Its borders still locked down after a sudden government quarantine three years ago, Malton's trapped civilians make their way through the derelict buildings, surviving the changing seasons to rebuild their fragmented society from the rubble upwards. Military cleanup squads patrol the empty streets, stationed in the city for the long haul, while embedded scientific groups continue the experiments that brought them here.

And the dead rise up and thrive, trailing through the ruined streets of the city, milling between buildings and clawing through makeshift barricades and diversions, reclaiming the city as their own.

Urban Dead is a "low tech" MMORPG that you play in your browser. It's the best brower game ever as it only takes 10-15 minutes a day to play. It is a post-apocalyptic zombie RPG with two sides to it: Survivors and Zombies. Survivors do just that: survive. They have no other fixed objective other then to try to live to see the next day. Zombies try to what every zombie loves best: eat Survivor brains. This is the best zombie game I've ever played. It is the closest thing that get's to all those people's "dream game" of simply surviving the zombie apocalypse. It's yourself, an open town, and a whole fuckload of zombies that want to eat YOU.

Urban Dead takes place in the fictional city of Malton. Malton is located in no where specific. While it has a very American city feel, there are also places that show it could be located somewhere in Europe. The bars, for example, are all named in a European style. It has no relation to the two towns named Malton that exist in real life. Malton has been sealed off to the rest of the world due to a virus of unknown origin that has caused the dead to rise. The number of dead grew rapidly and now the remaining people in Malton are trying to survive until...well, some form of hope arrives. Until then, they need to deal with the dead that now populate the city. You are one surivor among many. When you start playing Urban Dead you can pick one of several classes of Survivor, and they all come in three catagories: Military, Scientist, and Civilian.

sging7.jpg
Military classes represent the military forces left behind during the quarentine. They also have two of the better starting classes in the game and one of the worst. Survivors with the Military character class pay 75 XP for all Military skills, 150 XP for Science skills, and 100 XP for all other skills.

Private
Private's are the basic soldier. They start with Basic Firearms Training which allows them to hit more often with all firearms, and a pistol with some ammo to start killing right away. It's a good starting class. However, one problem you'll be facing early on is that guns take ammo, and you will be spending a lot of time searching for more after you run out of your initial two clips. Like all Military classes, they also pay a hefty price for Science skills.

Medic
Medic's are healers, and the worst class to begin as in the Military tree. They only start with a pistol and a first aid kit, and there starting skill is First Aid which is a loss of EXP early on. While you heal 5hp more then everyone else, you don't get any more EXP if you do. As a Medic you will spend a lot of time searching for first aid kits and wasting actions in combat because of your poor combat skills. I started as a Medic and I'm telling you NOT to start as one.

Scout
Scout's are a very fast moving class. They start out with the amazing Free Running skill. This allows you to enter a building from other buildings, avoiding the streets all together. However, you have no combat skills. Because of your manuverability you have a better chance of surviving for a longer time then other characters tho. My reccomendation is to find a building you will have easy access to get into always and use it to get back into hiding when your done fighting zombies outside.

2qwo3ud.jpg
Scientists are characters who worked for the mysterious NecroTech company that worked out of Malton. The two Scientist classes are so-so starting classes. EXP can come easy for them, but combat will still be hard. Survivors with the Scientist character class pay 75 XP for all Science skills, 150 XP for Military skills, and 100 XP for all other skills.

NecroTech Lab Assistant
Lab Assistants are decent to start with. They get good EXP by "tagging" zombies with there DNA Extractor, which they can only use at the begining because of the skill NecroTech Employment. They have no combat skills however, and like all Scientists, Military skills are the most expensive. They will also have a hard time getting inside buildings since Free Running is also a Military skill.

Doctor
So what is the difference between a Doctor and a Medic? A Doctor starts with the Diagnosis skills, which lets him see the HP of all injured Survivors. It makes healing a lot easier since you don't have to waste actions checking everyone to see if they are injured like a Medic has to. They start with two first aid kits. They have the same weaknesses as the Lab Assistant.

25q90f4.jpg
Civilians represent the every day citizens of Malton. Some are civil servants while others are just people. Civilians have two GREAT starting classes and one TERRIBLE one. Worse then the Medic. Civilians pay 100 XP for all skills, a huge advantage in the long run.

Cop
Cop's are up there with the three best starting classes. They start with the skill Basic Firearms Training and start with a pistol, flak jacket, and a radio. They come combat ready, but suffer the same problem as the Private: they need ammo. They are more flexable then the Private, however, because all skills for them cost 100 XP.

Firefighter
The Firefighter is the best starting class in the game. Your starting skill gives you the most combat ready and easiest to use character. Firefighter's start with Axe Proficiency which makes it easter to his with his starting weapon, the fire axe, which is the best melee weapon in the game. They don't need to find ammo like a Private or a Cop, and they can level up within two days to get Hand To Hand Combat which makes them a zombie chopping machine. If you are just starting in Urban Dead, pick a Firefighter.

Consumer
Consumers are so bad I forgot to talk about them when I posted this. They have the starting skill Shopping, which lets you find things in malls easier but that is about it. They have no combat ability, a random melee weapon to start with, and a cell phone which you can't even use right away because if your new, you don't know anyone to call. Don't be a Consumer.

oje534.jpg
Zombies are the enemy. Most of the time. You can also start out as a zombie! Zombies have a completly seperate set of skills open to them. You should get to know them since, at some point, you may find yourself as one of them. Zombies have access to the zombie skills tree, and pay 100 XP for all zombie skills. Click the image above for a full read on what the starting zombie can do.

Now, you may have seen me toss around a few terms like skills and EXP. Well, now I'll explain all that to you with a screenshot of the game.

1zd0xuv.jpg

Starting with the right side of the screen on the top, you have your area description. Pretty self-explanatory. Down from there are your actions for the immediate area. Down from there is your characters inventory. Unless your a pack rat, you probably won't be carrying around that much stuff. On the left side starting on top is a grid of the city. You play on that. The top bar is the name of the suburb you are in. The building in the middle is always the building you are at. You can move to any of the buildings in that 6x6 grid and when you do the view will move and you will find more buildings. Under that if your characters status. Every character in the game starts with 50 HP and you can gain 10 more from a skill (Body Building). Your EXP is counted in this box too. The most important thing here, more then your HP, is your Action Points (AP). You have a max of 50 AP and it regenerates at one every half hour. Every time you move, shoot, heal, talk, reload, enter, exit, do something, you use at least one AP. Under that are some menu options, but the most important in the Buy Skills menu. Here you can buy more skills for EXP. Any character can use any skill, you just need the EXP for it. If you start as a Scientist, you can still buy Military skills, etc. The second most important link is the Wiki button. The Wiki has EVERYTHING. If you want information on the suburb you are in, go to the wiki. If you want info on a certain group of people, check the wiki. It's all there.

So, now that I've presented you with everyone you need to know before playing Urban Dead, what about when you first start? Well, there are some things already written about that. First Day in Malton is a good guide to check out. The Urban Dead Wiki has a guide section right on the front page. As said before, it's the best place for Urban Dead information.

I'm done talking. Click the logo at the top to get to Urban Dead. Go kill some zombies.

--
I'm no longer keeping a list of names here because, at 75 members, it's just too big.

Looking for some P-A'ers? To add contacts use http://profiles.urbandead.info/ to look up their UD ID#. Enter the person's name, and click on it once the search comes up positive to get to their profile.

Where are we?
We've set up a group called We Are Nice Guys. To join, just go to Settings and type our name into the Group box. Click on that link to find our revive point policy and radio frequency. We are establishing a new base in Mockridge Heights at the Mycock Building.

As a reminder to everyone, the group name is We Are Nice Guys, NOT WANG.

Suburb Notes
The Mycock Building is EHB, so we have two entry points. One is the Perriott Museum, directly east, and the other is Club Androwes, southwest.

The closest mall is in Stanbury Village. Stanbury Village is one suburb northeast of us.

While zombie activity is somewhat low in Mockridge Heights, if you go east or northeast you can find plenty of activity, more then Scarletwood.

Our revive point is the graveyard 2 steps east of Mycock and 1 step north of a hospital.

--

How to make your game awesome if you are using Firefox:

1. Go to http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/
2. Install udtoolbar
3. Shoot Zombies.
Screenshot1.jpg
That is an older screenshot however, and the inventory won't look like that. Credit to Nocren for the find.

Fixing UDToolbar:
Here is what you need to do to make the toolbar work on the latest version of Firefox. What you need to do is download udtoolbar59 and then unzip it with your Zip tool of choice, I prefer 7zip. Now you need to find the file in the first folder called install.rdf and open that up in Notepad. Then you just have to change the first value to the second:
em:maxVersion="3.0.*"
to
em:maxVersion="3.8.*"
You can also use a value like 4.0.* to future proof it a bit. Now you just save install.rdf back into the xpi, and open the xpi file with Firefox to install it.

But while you are in there you might as well fix some of the other shit that's broke. For instance, off the top of my head the link the Map button takes you to is dead. To fix that open up browser.xul which is located at \udtoolbar59.xpi\chrome\udinvgraphenhance.jar\content\. In it you will find the following value:
<toolbarbutton id="udmap" tooltiptext="City Map of Malton"  oncommand="urbandead_LoadURL('http://redrum.soul-fantasy.net/map.php')"/>
</toolbarpalette>
You can change that URL to whatever still working map you like, for instance the wiki map

If anybody else finds any more broken shit in the Toolbar I can post fixes, but as I don't use the toolbar myself someone will need to point out the broken shit so I can find it and fix it.

There is also UDBrain, a MySQL database to keep track of the barricade status of all the buildings in Malton.
screen.jpg

A handy little map I found one late night. It has a location finder, route planner, and notations of locations in suburbs. Not a Firefox addon.

City of Malton (Link is dead as of 3/17/2010)

steam_sig.png
Shorn Scrotum Man on

• MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mycock reigns supreme indeed, all those zombies looking up towards it, lusting after the humans nestled deep inside. Frothing madly at the mouths, all that shit.
    New thread, first new cock joke.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BTW I'm Avenfyre in-game. I will FAK you or REZ you just post in here.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Somebody has spraypainted We Are Nice Guys onto a wall.

I am hanging out around Nichols Mall hoping that it gets taken back by the pinks soon.

Shens on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While having fun with my newly acquired freerunning, I foolishly used my last AP to move to an adjacent building.

That was apparently ruined.

And occupied by 3 zombies.

I'll be needing a revive before long =\

I'm at Strutt Tower in southern Mockrdige, once I get AP i'll stand up and shamble northwards towards the general Mycock area.

tehmarken on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hate when that happens tehmarken :P

urahonky on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey SSM can you add instructions on how to make Firefox compatible with UDToolbar up in the OP? I forgot how.

theSquid on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno either, but I'm pretty sure it involves upacking the xpi file, changing the browser version compatibility numbers, and then loading the xpi file into firefox.

I will take a look at it in the morning, and if I am correct I will add it in. Otherwise, someone will need to come up with the instructions.

*EDIT* And I was right. If you unpack the xpi file with 7zip, open up install.rdf, and change:

to

save the file, and then load it into firefox, it'll work. Or at least I imagine it will, I've done that in the past with other extensions.

*EDIT THE SECOND* The above was wrong. It is now right. 3.* was too general a value for it I guess, so it would still list as incompatible. However, setting it to 3.8.* works, at least until 3.9 or 4.

It will be added to the OP in the morning when I am actually thinking coherently.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is anyone here EpicRanga? If so you're in a spot of bother, I can see from the map they're in Wheaton surrounded by ten dead bodies and three zombies. I've killed off one of the zombies (my first kill!) but don't have enough AP to do much damage to the rest.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno either, but I'm pretty sure it involves upacking the xpi file, changing the browser version compatibility numbers, and then loading the xpi file into firefox.

I will take a look at it in the morning, and if I am correct I will add it in. Otherwise, someone will need to come up with the instructions.

*EDIT* And I was right. If you unpack the xpi file with 7zip, open up install.rdf, and change:

to

save the file, and then load it into firefox, it'll work. Or at least I imagine it will, I've done that in the past with other extensions.

*EDIT THE SECOND* The above was wrong. It is now right. 3.* was too general a value for it I guess, so it would still list as incompatible. However, setting it to 3.8.* works, at least until 3.9 or 4.

It will be added to the OP in the morning when I am actually thinking coherently.

I just changed mine to 4.0, but same principle. As long as it's equal to or higher than the current version.

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2010
    Yes, that will work too. It was 5:30am, I was not thinking very clearly.

*EDIT* Another thing you can do while editting the version is make that map button work again. While that xpi file is unpacked go to \udtoolbar59.xpi\chrome\udinvgraphenhance.jar\content\ and pop open browser.xul then find the following:
    <toolbarbutton id="udmap" tooltiptext="City Map of Malton"  oncommand="urbandead_LoadURL('http://redrum.soul-fantasy.net/map.php')"/>
    </toolbarpalette>

You can change that url (http://redrum.soul-fantasy.net/map.php, which seemed to be dead when I clicked on it last night) to whatever map you like best, like the wiki map.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    OP has been updated with both fixes. If anybody else spots any broken shit with the toolbar, let me know and I will post fixes. I'm more than happy to fix shit, but I don't use the toolbar myself so I'll need people to let me know if there are issues with it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • NoCatsNoCats Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is it just me, or has Mockridge really quietened down? We haven't had a zombie break-in in quite a while.

Heh, i've probably jinxed it now.

NoCats on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last 2 days I've walked out of the museum entrance to check out if any zombies needed chopping, and nothing.
    -have 23 FAK's cause that's what I've been doing now, searching the hospital-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Is anyone here EpicRanga? If so you're in a spot of bother, I can see from the map they're in Wheaton surrounded by ten dead bodies and three zombies. I've killed off one of the zombies (my first kill!) but don't have enough AP to do much damage to the rest.

Was going to use my AP to out of dodge and look for some action, but I'll head over there and see what I can do.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2010
    9 Zeds outside of Wheaton. Took one down to half strength, FAKd someone, and barricaded the building more. Hopefully it'll hold off until somebody can do some more damage.

stevemarks44 on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I killed two of the zeds outside wheaton there is a load of dead bodies there too so watch out.

Grath on
    edited March 2010
    I was a little north west of Mycock at a police station and it had a couple of break-ins. So you might find some more zeds if you head north.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Since I went and got this radio transmitter and one was installed by the time I got back, I'm going to install it in another building nearby as a backup. Any Ideas?

altmann on

signature.png
    edited March 2010
    If anyone is interested, I updated the plugin to have a working map link (mostly) and upped the version number a bit: http://www.moabirds.net/wang/udtoolbar59.xpi

It wont steal ALL of your credit card info.

Shens on
    edited March 2010
    I say take advantage of the peace and range out and claim some territory in south Mockridge and Galbraith Hills. Also ensure the paths to the nearest NT's are clear.

theSquid on
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I keep whacking some of the Zeds by the Wheaton PD whenever I have the AP but more keep showing up.

Question: I've got all the axe skills and axing zed is pretty fun, is it worth getting pistol or shotgun skills up or should I max out consumer first so I get some more survivability and better access to ammo?
    Link to my UD profile.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hold onto the experience, if you decide to head to a mall then you are going to want the consumer skills to help you search the right places there. But you don't really want to spend the exp on the weapon skills unless you know you are going to use those skills. And having 200 experience to spend when you get Zombied next will be helpful when it comes to getting around and cutting back on how much it costs to stand.

Seg on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, once I got my melee training, diagnosis, and free running, I went ahead and banked 200 xp to be able to get ankle grab. Hopefully, though I won't get the chance anytime soon.

Just made my way over to the Culling Building for some syringes; no sign of zeds along the way. Now to camp out long enough to snag a DNA extractor.

Darian on
    edited March 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Yeah, once I got my melee training, diagnosis, and free running, I went ahead and banked 200 xp to be able to get ankle grab. Hopefully, though I won't get the chance anytime soon.

Just made my way over to the Culling Building for some syringes; no sign of zeds along the way. Now to camp out long enough to snag a DNA extractor.

Once you get your first remember to set it as one of the items you drop automatically. I was looking for syringes today and in about 15 AP I got 3 extractors and no syringes. I wasn't pleased.

Seg on
    edited March 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I updated the plugin to have a working map link (mostly) and upped the version number a bit: http://www.moabirds.net/wang/udtoolbar59.xpi

It wont steal ALL of your credit card info.

When I get home I will give this a once over, and if it checks out I'll put it in the OP. No offense meant or anything, I just have a very low amount of trust on the internet.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    No worries. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to install it. I mostly made it for myself and am sharing it if anyone is REALLY lazy. :P

EDIT: Speaking of lazy. the jump to coordinates on the map via the toolbar wasn't working when I updated the links. I haven't bothered to see why yet.. so it isn't perfect, but at least nothing goes to a broken link anymore.

Shens on
  • HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seg wrote: »
    Hold onto the experience, if you decide to head to a mall then you are going to want the consumer skills to help you search the right places there. But you don't really want to spend the exp on the weapon skills unless you know you are going to use those skills. And having 200 experience to spend when you get Zombied next will be helpful when it comes to getting around and cutting back on how much it costs to stand.

Excellent, thank you!

There's a dude in Anne General what needs heals right now if anyone is looking for easy FAK XP.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
    edited March 2010
    Wheaton is ready to fall. I'm almost out of AP and unable to barricade any longer without falling asleep and losing an escape. Much help would be appreciated.

stevemarks44 on
    edited March 2010
    I'm on the search for museum pieces. It's already got a bunch of paintings, I put up a tapestry but I want this place posh. BTW, I set up another radio transmitter in latchem hotel.

altmann on

signature.png
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm inside Anne General just hording up FAKs, in a day or two I'd like to do some street cleaning.

tehmarken on
    edited March 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    No worries. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to install it. I mostly made it for myself and am sharing it if anyone is REALLY lazy. :P

EDIT: Speaking of lazy. the jump to coordinates on the map via the toolbar wasn't working when I updated the links. I haven't bothered to see why yet.. so it isn't perfect, but at least nothing goes to a broken link anymore.

Haha, you use OSX

I can tell because your operating system dumped a bunch of unnecessary Mac shit into the XPI file. Nothing malicious, just bloating it a bit. I'm going to strip it all out and see if I can't figure out this jump coordinates issue.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Ah yeah. I did that at work. I totally forgot how OSX likes to shit a bunch of hidden files in a folder. Haha.

That would be fantastic if you can take a look at the coordinate issue.

Shens on
    edited March 2010
    I'm in the south of Mockridge Heights and there's plenty of work to do here for anyone who's bored. I found myself infected in Purlewent Library with one other dude and a zombie, so I healed myself and the other dude but lacking any combat skills I instead barricaded the zombie in to VSB++ like any good douche and left.

Then I went into a ruined building, revived two zombie occupants and barricaded as best I could. Fun times.

theSquid on
    edited March 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    I'm in the south of Mockridge Heights and there's plenty of work to do here for anyone who's bored. I found myself infected in Purlewent Library with one other dude and a zombie, so I healed myself and the other dude but lacking any combat skills I instead barricaded the zombie in to VSB++ like any good douche and left.

Then I went into a ruined building, revived two zombie occupants and barricaded as best I could. Fun times.

Zombies who get caded in can get out the same way you do UD doesn't trap them like Q2019.

edit: That said I have a bad habit of making a plan and then wandering randomly through the city. I am currently somewhere in Shore Hills wondering how far I am from homebase.

Seg on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wheaton has 2 zombies in it, in case you're sitting in there.

Sir Carcass on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, that was lucky. I have a Doctor character off somewhere who got rez'd yesterday. Stood him up today, infected, and went to the nearest hospital to find a FAK. It was ruined when I got there, but I went in anyway and spent 20 AP searching for a kit. With 2 HP and 10 actions left, I searched one last time and found a FAK. With 1 hp left, I used the kit on myself, bringing me up to 6 HP and curing my infection. With my remaining AP I was able to freerun into a very heavily barricaded police station a few blocks away. Let's hope I survive there until tomorrow when I can get the fuck out of there, hehe.

Rius on
    edited March 2010
    I'll head over to Wheaton later today and see what I can do to help out a bit.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Robbob14Robbob14 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wheaton update as of 10:53 CST: 7 zombies inside.

Robbob14 on
    edited March 2010
    Robbob14 wrote: »
    Wheaton update as of 10:53 CST: 7 zombies inside.

Wheaton update as of a couple of minutes ago, 6 zombies inside :)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited March 2010
    Knocked one down to about half health then headed out.

stevemarks44 on