As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW][Paladin] More seals than the Burlington Coat Factory.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Namon wrote: »
    Ok thanks although in that little discussion I guess i will need to dig up the good "threat" spells so I know what to use.

All of them?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok my bad I'm still used to EQ's Taunt being the main threat/agro builder and I thought the tanking mechanics in wow were similar just way more abilities IE skills specifically designed to keep agro.

Namon on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok my bad I'm still used to EQ's Taunt being the main threat/agro builder and I thought the tanking mechanics in wow were similar just way more abilities IE skills specifically designed to keep agro.

The thing to remember is that while you have the Righteous Fury buff, your threat is increased. Early on all you have is judgement of light/wisdom, consecration and auto-attack with a seal up (I highly suggest righteousness until you can get command) so there isn't much to discuss there. You'll also get Exorcism early on, but I suggest not using it while a mob is beating on you because of spell pushback.

Later on in ret you'll gain a few other abilities, like Art of War procs that make Exorcism instant cast, Crusader Strike, and Divine Storm. I'm not sure I'd suggest tanking as ret by the time you have those abilities.

Nobody on
    edited March 2010
    No I'm not looking to stay in ret and try to tank in the Lich King stuff. This is primarily until TBC or Prot can be a decent leveling spec while saving for dual specs.

Namon on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I need some opinions. Here's me:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sentinels&n=Kalorie

I have exactly enough Frost Emblems for either the Malevolent Girdle http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50987 or the Herkuml War Token http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50355

The belt looks like a better upgrade, but I'm hearing good things about the token. They would be replacing the Belt of the Singing Blade and the Darkmoon Card Greatness, respectively. My other trinket is the Whispering Fanged Skull.

I have two-piece tier 10 and the libram and cloak already.

edit: Nevermind. The belt will put me back over the hitcap if I switch out my Citidel Enforcer's Claymore to Ramaladni's Blade of Culling for the expertise.

Samphis on
    edited March 2010
    No I'm not looking to stay in ret and try to tank in the Lich King stuff. This is primarily until TBC or Prot can be a decent leveling spec while saving for dual specs.

No worries, I was simply saying that by the time you hit those benchmarks (IIRC the earliest is level 40?) tanking as ret may be a bit harder than tanking as prot.

Nobody on
  • laiceps1983laiceps1983 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Technically you could still use your ret spec and just put on some def gear and sword n board. I am pretty sure all ret abilities work with one handers. Granted this is not ideal but if you dont have the cash for a dual spec it would work.

laiceps1983 on
    edited March 2010
    Well what I am hoping (I had a hard time spitting that out in my previous post) is that by level 40ish or above I can just switch to prot for the time being if need be and level with that. The only thing that would hold me back is I don't want to switch until prot is actually viable. Then I'll stay that way until I have the bones to dual spec.

And honestly if Prot is viable as a "solo/level" spec I may just do holy and prot and have all bases covered for groups.

Namon on
  • cyfircyfir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Technically you could still use your ret spec and just put on some def gear and sword n board. I am pretty sure all ret abilities work with one handers. Granted this is not ideal but if you dont have the cash for a dual spec it would work.

You'll have zero problem tanking in whatever gear you have, as ret, until TBC. My experience of trying to tank ret TBC was that most people, regardless of your gear, will be *pissed the f off at you* if you even zone in as ret, much less tank. If you want to tank from TBC forward, invest in dual spec.

Pre-TBC, honestly, you *want* to tank ret. Way easier. Throw up Righteous Fury and go bash things. Pull with Hand of Reckoning; it will do damage to unpulled mobs, since they're not attacking you. Toss on sword and board; if nothing else the faster swing speeds on a one-hander will help you manage agro. As far as other abilities, it depends on what level you are.

1-19: Good luck kid, you're gonna need it. Auto-attack and judge.
    20-39: With Seal of Command, your autoattacks are actually *awesome* at holding agro. Just make sure you tab around so your fourth or fifth mob gets smacked too. For large AE packs, consecrate, but that thing eats retarded mana so don't use it unless you have 4+ (I would say 5+, personally,) mobs. At 30, you get Holy Wrath, which is a good opener against large groups of undead or demons.
    40-49: You're gonna start getting some nice toys in the ret tree that will help you tank. Judgements of the Wise will let you consecrate a lot more often, Art of War means you'll be able to incorporate Exorcism into your rotations.
    50-57: And Crusader Strike means the next 8 levels will be ezmode threat. Seriously, if you're having threat issues while using CS, you've got problems.
    58+: Save yourself the headache of goosey puggers; dual spec prot.

As far as solo-spec prot; I would encourage you to avoid this. It's nowhere near the AE grinding OP tool it was in TBC, and ret makes things go *splat.*

cyfir on
    edited March 2010
    Well what I am hoping (I had a hard time spitting that out in my previous post) is that by level 40ish or above I can just switch to prot for the time being if need be and level with that. The only thing that would hold me back is I don't want to switch until prot is actually viable. Then I'll stay that way until I have the bones to dual spec.

And honestly if Prot is viable as a "solo/level" spec I may just do holy and prot and have all bases covered for groups.

Personally I think prot and holy are horrible specs to level in compared to the speed and zero downtime you have with Ret. Prot is a great group mob grinding spec but to make it efficient to where you dont have downtime after fights you probably have to keep 5 mobs beating on you at a time. Meaning casters and mobs that run away suck. Ret, even with bad gear, can easily take on 3 mobs once you get Divine storm and still end the fights with enough health and mana to go right back into the fray.

But you you want to level exclusively or mostly through grinding instances I would just start as prot right now since at low levels the difference between the specs is almost not noticeable. Then you can see if you like the way prot is working out for you. But none of the specs becomes entirely useful until you get a fair ways into the talent tress anyway imo.

laiceps1983 on
    edited March 2010
    cyfir wrote: »

You'll have zero problem tanking in whatever gear you have, as ret, until TBC. My experience of trying to tank ret TBC was that most people, regardless of your gear, will be *pissed the f off at you* if you even zone in as ret, much less tank. If you want to tank from TBC forward, invest in dual spec.

Pre-TBC, honestly, you *want* to tank ret. Way easier. Throw up Righteous Fury and go bash things. Pull with Hand of Reckoning; it will do damage to unpulled mobs, since they're not attacking you. Toss on sword and board; if nothing else the faster swing speeds on a one-hander will help you manage agro. As far as other abilities, it depends on what level you are.

1-19: Good luck kid, you're gonna need it. Auto-attack and judge.
    20-39: With Seal of Command, your autoattacks are actually *awesome* at holding agro. Just make sure you tab around so your fourth or fifth mob gets smacked too. For large AE packs, consecrate, but that thing eats retarded mana so don't use it unless you have 4+ (I would say 5+, personally,) mobs. At 30, you get Holy Wrath, which is a good opener against large groups of undead or demons.
    40-49: You're gonna start getting some nice toys in the ret tree that will help you tank. Judgements of the Wise will let you consecrate a lot more often, Art of War means you'll be able to incorporate Exorcism into your rotations.
    50-57: And Crusader Strike means the next 8 levels will be ezmode threat. Seriously, if you're having threat issues while using CS, you've got problems.
    58+: Save yourself the headache of goosey puggers; dual spec prot.

As far as solo-spec prot; I would encourage you to avoid this. It's nowhere near the AE grinding OP tool it was in TBC, and ret makes things go *splat.*

This is excellent advice.

My experience: I leveled as prot in TBC from level 34ish to 70, and then in WoTLK from 70-80. If I was going to go back and level a new paladin now in WoTLK, I'd definately level ret the entire way. While you can level as prot in TBC, it's not nearly as quick as leveling ret.

Nobody on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I'm a bit curious. I'm getting close to 60 frost emblems now and I'm pondering getting the frost trinket for the added haste and the ap on hits. But I'm also pondering whether I should look into one of the t10 pieces (gauntlets or shoulders) instead. Or the cloak for that matter as it's only 50 emblems. I think the trinket would help the most dps wise if I replace it with the one I have that increases my hit as I'm already well over cap as it is. Can anyone throw out some suggestions?

Here's my armory link for those who are wondering what I'm using atm.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&cn=Camgrhaken

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited March 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    So, I'm a bit curious. I'm getting close to 60 frost emblems now and I'm pondering getting the frost trinket for the added haste and the ap on hits. But I'm also pondering whether I should look into one of the t10 pieces (gauntlets or shoulders) instead. Or the cloak for that matter as it's only 50 emblems. I think the trinket would help the most dps wise if I replace it with the one I have that increases my hit as I'm already well over cap as it is. Can anyone throw out some suggestions?

Here's my armory link for those who are wondering what I'm using atm.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&cn=Camgrhaken

I cant see your armory at work but the first thing that should be bought with frost emblems is your 2pt10. The divine storm resets make a huge difference in output.

laiceps1983 on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you're tanking as ret at 50+, just remember that RF has a much higher threat modifier for holy damage than physical damage, so you'll still want to prioritize judgement, consecrate, exorcism, etc. over CS/DS if threat is an issue. That and CS/DS won't be hitting that hard with a one-hander anyway.

forty on
  • cyfircyfir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    forty wrote: »
    If you're tanking as ret at 50+, just remember that RF has a much higher threat modifier for holy damage than physical damage, so you'll still want to prioritize judgement, consecrate, exorcism, etc. over CS/DS if threat is an issue. That and CS/DS won't be hitting that hard with a one-hander anyway.

CS and DS are holy damage, ya?

cyfir on
    edited March 2010
    cyfir wrote: »

CS and DS are holy damage, ya?

No, they used to be but they got scaled to physical damage a few patches ago because there is no Holy resistance. So in PvP people would get smoked by holy damage. I am sure they are other reasons too but they were changed to physical damage.

laiceps1983 on
    edited March 2010
    Basically because Blizzard figured out after the fact it was retarded to have a melee class with 80% of its damage being unresistable magic damage.

forty on
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SoComm is Holy Damage though as I recall so Ret's packing a decent amount of threat.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
    edited March 2010
    It's not that ret can't do decent threat, just that CS/DS being high priority, high damage DPS abilities doesn't translate to the same in one-handed tanking threat.

forty on
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Basically because Blizzard figured out after the fact it was retarded to have a melee class with 80% of its damage being unresistable magic damage.

In addition, it being physical means the overall damage is reduced by armor as well. So the correction was both to get it off unresistable holy as well as reduce effectiveness via armor.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    edited March 2010
    Divine Storm has been physical damage since Wrath went live. The only time it was was holy was during the 3.0 patch, when people were running around doing 3k AoE damage at level 70.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And that barely lasted at all. We got, what, a week (maybe two, tops) with it being holy?

Those were the times :D

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So my Priest is almost 80 and I'm thinking of picking my 20-something Paladin back up next. I have enough Champion's seals from my Rogue's tournament stuff to pick up a set of heirlooms for said Paladin, but I'm not sure what to choose. I'm hoping to keep on with tanking my way through the game (with a bit of soloing here and there, but I'm primarily grouping), but I realized that there aren't any plate spellpower pieces aside from the PvP shoulders. Should I just grab the Valor stuff and be done with it, grab 1 Valor and 1 Lightforge, or just get the Hunter mail?

I know it won't matter much, if any, at the level I'm at, but I'm trying to plan a bit ahead here.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tanking you don't want spellpower gear. Valor Shoulders/Chest is a good start.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited March 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    So my Priest is almost 80 and I'm thinking of picking my 20-something Paladin back up next. I have enough Champion's seals from my Rogue's tournament stuff to pick up a set of heirlooms for said Paladin, but I'm not sure what to choose. I'm hoping to keep on with tanking my way through the game (with a bit of soloing here and there, but I'm primarily grouping), but I realized that there aren't any plate spellpower pieces aside from the PvP shoulders. Should I just grab the Valor stuff and be done with it, grab 1 Valor and 1 Lightforge, or just get the Hunter mail?

I know it won't matter much, if any, at the level I'm at, but I'm trying to plan a bit ahead here.

Well tanking doesnt require spellpower anymore since WoTLK. Your strength will turn into spellpower with the Prot talent (cant recall the name of it right now). And you wont really need spellpower at the early levels of tanking. So if you choose to tank your way through to 80 *cough* razorblade my wrists *cough* just get the valor gear. Otherwise read the last two pages here, we have been posting on tanking instances as ret so you can still solo without wanting to give yourself a lobotomy. :P

laiceps1983 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tanking your way to 80 is like, the best way to get to 80 now.

WHY HALLO THAR 2 SECOND QUEUES.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2010
    I guess I am just more of a quest guy, I only did dungeons to finish the quests that I had for them. As Ret I was able to solo almost every group quest that I got so it was an easy grind. And now that you can get cold weather flying for your alts so early it makes it even faster. I am also an achievement whore so I wanted to get all the quest achievements done while leveling so I didn't have to go back and do it.

laiceps1983 on
    edited March 2010
    I'd say dungeon grinding as a tank is probably the fastest way to level at this point. Getting bad groups counts as "travel time."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2010
    I wondered if the amount of kills you get from the constant grind made up for the loss of the quest turn in experience. I can see it being easier since you can basically level up completely and never leave your home city 8-) But I always felt like the quest experience was the main experience gain.

laiceps1983 on
    edited March 2010
    Pick up all the dungeon quests for dungeons in your level range
    Queue
    Turn the quests in
    ?????
    Profit

Samphis on
    edited March 2010
    I'll probably do more heavy questing once I get into Outland and definitely into Northrend, but by then prot leveling is pretty much into its own anyway.

Also, professions. Right now I'm mining/engineering, but to be honest I dunno if my heart's into engineering. I briefly considered Blacksmithing, but my friends and guildmates talked me out of that one pretty quickly. What else is a decent complement to a Paladin anyway?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2010
    Blacksmithing + Jewelcrafting.

Engineering was fun as shit when I did it though.

bowen on
    edited March 2010
    I'm rolling with engineering and jewelcrafting. Engineering gives me 2-3 ranged attacks that compliment the rest of my arsenal in both Ret and Prot. Heck, I pull trash with bombs.

Samphis on
  • KremKrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a ret pally sitting at about level 40 when 3.3 and the dungeon finder came out - when it did I respec'd to prot, bought a shield and the heirloom 1h, and blazed my way to 70 without leaving Orgrimmar. It was incredibly awesome.
    After hitting 70, though, a couple Utgarde Keep runs served as a painful reminder of how steeply the experience curve sharpens for 70-80. I'm considering jumping back into questing, since it seems like it's gonna take me at least 10 or 12 dungeon runs to advance each level, and I don't want to burn myself out on tanking Northrend dungeons before I reach 80 and the inevitable heroic grind to get badge gear. Basically my question is, what's the usual formula for soloing as prot? I've heard it used to be "pull a billion mobs, consecrate, profit" but also that that doesn't work as well in Northrend because they don't have stupidly huge packs of mobs standing around like they did in Outland. Should I respec back to ret and pull my heirloom 2h out of the bank, or is spamming holy shield and hammer of the righteous through every quest gonna be enough?

Krem on
    edited March 2010
    Re: Professions

And if I don't have a miner already? The thought of leveling both JC and Blacksmithing off of AH-bought materials chills me to the bone and makes my Rogue's wallet weep.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That is gonna get so expensive. Keep mining for a while and then maybe swap to another.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd make a DK alt and spec into the increased mount speed for the mining part if I were you

That's what I did to level alchemy on 8 guys, since it's just not possible to buy all the herbs you need

Lilac Citizen on
    edited March 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd say dungeon grinding as a tank is probably the fastest way to level at this point. Getting bad groups counts as "travel time."

Yeah, but if you are the tank, its really hard to find a group incapable of running any of the old instances.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I got an Althor's Abacus yesterday on a whim and regemmed for flash of light spam, I picked up the ilvl 264 failbook for my ranged slot, a second SP trinket, SP food+flask, etc

Oddly enough my performance on the meters was indistinguishable from when I use my normal holy light build

I guess that with the +10% healing buff, FoL spam might be viable (keeping in mind that you'd still want to spam HL in short bursts)

It's hard to say for sure given that we didn't do any hard fights, though. It might just be really good at sniping hots and fail like before on lich king/heroic modes

Lilac Citizen on
  • AethosAethos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hit 20 on my BE Pally today (well, started him today as well). Going to be RaF levelling with a healer friend. Seems like it's gonna be pretty fun, was pretty disappointed when I realized the taunt didn't do damage if I was already the target.

Wish I had more experience with non-northrend dungeons though. I barely ran anything pre-BC and can't remember half the BC dungeons at all, so tanking is going to be rough for me. Heirloom chest, shoulders and weapon help though.

Aethos on
This discussion has been closed.