As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic Rush Adventure

• BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    yeah, the design philosophy of "main challenge is learning where the bottomless pits are" needs to go away

Honestly, what's the deal? I never had a single problem due to bottomless pits? Seriously, I'm baffled as to why so many people whine about this.

Because a lot of us did. Especially in that damn Sky Fortress type level (World 6 was it?).
    You didn't have to memorize where the pits were, you just had to not fall down them.

Blind leaps of faith are fun and all, but you should really save them for the second playthrough.

Altitude limit was a great level, I remember when I realized that the spikes at the start of the second act could be boosted through. Shame about the stupid hanglider sections though. Too damn slow.

Now, the Eqyptian themed level was all kinds of annoying due to the stupid floating platorm faux-3d bit at the end that stoped me from getting an S rank with it's falling rocks.

Bantry on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Death by enemy, I can understand, its his job to kill me. its like an honorable death.

Death by falling? feels 10x worse, to know that in a game where the main characters best feature is his speed, is the same thing thats getting me killed. :(

Imagine the original super mario bros, but all the goombas and turtles have spikey heads/shells. Yet the instructions still tell you to jump on everything. :(

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmmmm.
    Seems to be developed by different people to Rush.
    On the other hand, is more 2D Sonic.

Xagarath on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Hmmmm.
    2D does not a good Sonic make.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmmmm.
    Developed by SEGA Studios

Yeah...so is that the same studios as Dimps or what?

Triko on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Triko wrote: »
    Hmmmm.
    Developed by SEGA Studios

Yeah...so is that the same studios as Dimps or what?

Dimps is not owned by Sega. They also do most of the Dragonball games and so on.

Furu on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Main boss looks like Pirateman (Megaman and Bass) and Big the Cat had a baby, and he's all grown up.

As for other playable characters? I call on the power of Espio, for his ability to continue the pirates vs. ninjas feud!

Not only that, but it can now escalate into furry ninjas vs. robot pirates.

...well, not "furry," techinically, but close enough.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bantry wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    yeah, the design philosophy of "main challenge is learning where the bottomless pits are" needs to go away

Honestly, what's the deal? I never had a single problem due to bottomless pits? Seriously, I'm baffled as to why so many people whine about this.

Because a lot of us did. Especially in that damn Sky Fortress type level (World 6 was it?).
    You didn't have to memorize where the pits were, you just had to not fall down them.

Blind leaps of faith are fun and all, but you should really save them for the second playthrough.
    To be fair, it can be hard going when you're moving very quickly.

Thankfully it's a Sonic game, so that wasn't an issue.

Elendil on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So no more Blaze? Oh well. Maybe I'll get to play as Amy instead.
    Needs more Big fishing.

Blaze is apparently dead or trapped in another dimension or something, according to some godawful Sonic PS360 cutscene I saw.

Because (1) Everyone else did and (2) It's been done in every goddamned Sonic game (or at least the 2D ones) since the Genesis died (the Genesis games did not have this issue, although some of the Game Gear ones did).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Death by enemy, I can understand, its his job to kill me. its like an honorable death.

Death by falling? feels 10x worse, to know that in a game where the main characters best feature is his speed, is the same thing thats getting me killed. :(

Imagine the original super mario bros, but all the goombas and turtles have spikey heads/shells. Yet the instructions still tell you to jump on everything. :(

It's like the game is insulting you.

"You just died in a bottomless pit, you so fast and stuuuuuupiiiiiiiid."
    "But I'm supposed to go fa-"
    "STUUUUUUUPIIIIIIIIID!"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but DIMPS, the creators of the original Sonic Rush, are not doing this title due to legal tension with SEGA. Sega Studios USA is creating it in their place; they also created Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 360 and the new NiGHTS game for the Wii. They may or may not have also created the GBA port of Sonic 1; I am not entirely sure just who made that monstrosity.

I loved Sonic Rush, but don't hope for a truly genre-defining platforming experience, here. :X

OmegaVelocity on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but DIMPS, the creators of the original Sonic Rush, are not doing this title due to legal tension with SEGA. Sega Studios USA is creating it in their place; they also created Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 360 and the new NiGHTS game for the Wii. They may or may not have also created the GBA port of Sonic 1; I am not entirely sure just who made that monstrosity.

I loved Sonic Rush, but don't hope for a truly genre-defining platforming experience, here. :X

I pointed this out a page ago, though rather more briefly.

Xagarath on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well so much for this title

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2007
    Hey now, if they just use the engine from Rush and not fuck it up too much, it could be fun.

Regardless we're getting Robot Pirate Eggman

Furu on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic is doomed
    Microsoft to buy Sonic within 5 years

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited April 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Hey now, if they just use the engine from Rush and not fuck it up too much, it could be fun.

Is this a good or bad thing?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

OmegaVelocity on
    edited April 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

He's a robot pirate who looks like Eggman

I believe that speaks for itself.

Furu on
    edited April 2007
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

Good thing. After experiencing myself what pirates did for DKCII, I should've known

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

Good thing. After experiencing myself what pirates did for DKCII, I should've known

Yes. Best version of K Rool by far.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

I guess you haven't seen Disney's Treasure Planet.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Craveon wrote: »
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

Hey I liked that movie.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Craveon wrote: »
    Oh, come on.

Robots and pirates.

Use your head.

Hey I liked that movie.

And I like Street Fighter The Movie but that doesn't mean anyone else will like it or accept me and invite me to parties.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2007

I liked the Mario Bros. movie.

It'll be a good month before I show my face around these boards again now.

Kor on
    edited April 2007
    Then we stand together brother. That movie was and is great. I watched it on DVD a couple of weeks ago and it seemed even better than I remembered.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter movies rocked. Those who say otherwise shall learn the truth when the rapture comes and we are all saved by Jean-Claude Van Damme in cammo and Bob Hoskins in oversized metal boots.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So no more Blaze? Oh well. Maybe I'll get to play as Amy instead.
    Needs more Big fishing.

Blaze is apparently dead or trapped in another dimension or something, according to some godawful Sonic PS360 cutscene I saw.

Actually, you seem to have missed the best part of Sonic 360:
    Thanks to time-travel stuff, the game practically retcons itself at the end so that nothing ever happened or is really remembered, thus sparing you from having to play it or wondering if it affects anything later.

I understand this is even reflected in Sonic Rivals on PSP, wherein Silver meets Sonic again "for the first time."

He's a robot pirate who looks like Eggman

I believe that speaks for itself.

For some reason, the purple around his eyes doesn't fail to immediately throw me from thinking of Eggman to imagining Captain "Whiskers" as a robot-pirate Big the Cat.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    sonicrushadventure21ko1.jpg

Yay! sonic has a new friend. Bought'd

LewieP on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Sonic brought a tanooki suit to life?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter movies rocked. Those who say otherwise shall learn the truth when the rapture comes and we are all saved by Jean-Claude Van Damme in cammo and Bob Hoskins in oversized metal boots.

So fucking sigged. I loved the streetfighter movie, so much to scream out loud 'Van Damn!' every time I jump-kicked a guy with a ludicrously over the top slow-motion flying kick in FEAR, plus, Giule is offically 'Van Damn' in my eyes when I'm playing Streetfighter, he's my main character.
    LewieP wrote: »
    sonicrushadventure21ko1.jpg

Yay! sonic has a new friend. Bought'd

Random the Racoond'!

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seems the only way to tell whether you're male or female in the Sonic universe is by the number of eyelashes.
    None? Male.
    One? Tomboy.
    Two? Femme fatal.

Glal on
    edited April 2007
    I bet that thing runs as fast as Sonic does. New characters being introduced all the time wouldn't really bother me if they couldn't all run as fast as him.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wouldn't that just lead to even more bitching about playing as them?

Glal on
    edited April 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Wouldn't that just lead to even more bitching about playing as them?

Amy ran half the speed Sonic did in Sonic Advance and Sonic Adventure and I thought she was the second most fun character to play as. As you may recall, the first sonic games wern't THAT fast so... whatever, I can't even be bothered discussing this.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So what makes this Sonic Rush Adventure, and not Sonic Rush 2? My guess is nothing, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I bet that thing runs as fast as Sonic does. New characters being introduced all the time wouldn't really bother me if they couldn't all run as fast as him.

Blaze couldn't in Sonic Rush, although her energy burst was faster then sonics as a balance.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So what makes this Sonic Rush Adventure, and not Sonic Rush 2? My guess is nothing, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Instead of having the actually fun chaos emerald bonus stages, you can ride a log.

You know, I get little butterflies in my stomach everytime I see a thread title announcing a new Sonic, but then I remember that when I click on the link, I'm going to see a bunch of stuff I wish wasn't in the game.

Sonic Rush, though, was actually very good....minus most of the music. Do we need techno anymore?

JLM-AWP on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

Instead of having the actually fun chaos emerald bonus stages, you can ride a log.

You know, I get little butterflies in my stomach everytime I see a thread title announcing a new Sonic, but then I remember that when I click on the link, I'm going to see a bunch of stuff I wish wasn't in the game.

Sonic Rush, though, was actually very good....minus most of the music. Do we need techno anymore?

I dunno, man. That music reminded me of Jet Grind Radio, which I think is a good thing.

(And Street Fighter: The Movie was so bad it killed Raul Julia.)

Daedalus on
  • BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    First one was awesome, albeit short, i'll wait till I can snag it at 19.99 like i did with Rush.

BladeofTheImmortal on
    edited April 2007

I figure this game will have hubs for each level, and Chaos emeralds, or their equivalents, will be obtained thru the story by default, with no actual bonus missions.

Or really, they'll just take a hose, and suck all the fun out of it.

Kor on
  • BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    They really need to go back to the days of Collecting all chaos emeralds, getting 50 coins, and being able to become an unstoppable force of nature by double jumping.

BladeofTheImmortal on