As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bet you Beast watches teen wolf in his lab all the damn time.

desc on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who doesn't?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    also seriously dark x-men better lead to nate grey doing something other than being forgotten again

if nate grey ends up turning into teen wolf i'm blaming you

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    also seriously dark x-men better lead to nate grey doing something other than being forgotten again

if nate grey ends up turning into teen wolf i'm blaming you

Nate Grey to become Charles Bronson

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if either of these two happen

I will give marvel comics all of my money forever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm curious, for the people who've read it, what is your overall opinion of Necrosha? Personally I think it's been OK but the art really hurt the story. I also didn't read the New Mutants issues but the Legacy issues were excellent. With only one more issue to go I'm wondering just how X-Force will stop Selene but Bastion might have a hand in taking her down as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm curious, for the people who've read it, what is your overall opinion of Necrosha? Personally I think it's been OK but the art really hurt the story. I also didn't read the New Mutants issues but the Legacy issues were excellent. With only one more issue to go I'm wondering just how X-Force will stop Selene but Bastion might have a hand in taking her down as well.

Ehh, it's ok. One of the problems for me is I have no idea who these people are, and I really don't care about them. The Hellions? That one chick who died? Bump that noise. That, along with the muddy art, had me skipping a lot of the action scenes (which was like half the event).

I really enjoyed the latest issue of X-Force, though. Because people telling Eli to shut up, and Vanisher having syphilis is awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing how this wraps up. But if it ends up looking like dark sketchy fists hitting dark sketchy blobs, I'm going to be sad.

And I agree, the Legacy issues were pretty great. Though I'm confused about Destiny.
    So, she's dead because the virus stopped working? But what about Doug or whathisface in New Mutants? I don't really keep up with it, but I thought he was still alive.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Legacy is always good, and Carey purposely put them as far away from the actual event as possible so it wouldn't get corrupted by mediocrity.

Outside of the really murky art, there are some big plot holes in Necrosha from the summaries I have read online. For instance, Vanisher teleports the X-Force team to Genosha, but only to the beach or something where they have to fight all these mutants to get to the main fortress, instead of simply having Vanisher teleport them into Selene's fortress to begin with. There is a mention of Vanisher wanting to be the hero and do it himself, but this is after the fact in the game plan Cyclops or Wolverine went with.

And another one, dealing with M-Day, about how of the 16 million mutants on the island, only 1% or so still have their powers, yet every worthwhile mutant Selene resurrected for her inner circle or whatever all had their powers intact (which really highlights the picking and choosing of mutants post M-Day and how no one of importance lost their powers).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dark X-Men question: When did Mystique become undetectable by psychics?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe she just had a psychic inhibitor on her head (didn't read the issue)?

I never remember her being psi-proof, but when Mystique was changed in Claremont's run around the time of the movie (and in Nicieza's X-Men Forever) to be more like her movie counterpart (ie naked and scaly), maybe she gained that power set.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Necrosha is like Blackest Night if Blackest Night were even less interesting.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Necrosha was never going to be great though was it. You didn't hear about that and go "that will be awesome," you thought "that could be OK, I guess."

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Maybe she just had a psychic inhibitor on her head (didn't read the issue)?

I never remember her being psi-proof, but when Mystique was changed in Claremont's run around the time of the movie (and in Nicieza's X-Men Forever) to be more like her movie counterpart (ie naked and scaly), maybe she gained that power set.

I only have the first 2 issues of Dark X-Men (because following a pull-list is too complicated for my former LCS), but I was reading them last night, and Mystique shuts out Nate motherfucking Grey, and I was all like whaaaaaaa?

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone else roll their eyes at the X-Men: Second Coming ad that was in Marvel books this week? The tagline reads, "Many will fall. Several will die." Naturally, it's written by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost.

For some reason the, "Several will die," bit is really funny to me. It's like they realized that it's become trite to kill one character, so they couldn't do that. Saying, "A couple will die," doesn't have much gravitas. "A few will die," is getting there, but not quite. "Many will die," is overselling it. Then it snapped into place. "Several will die!"

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's been a diminishing return in how serious the adverts for these X-events have been since Messiah Complex compared to actual sales.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Anyone else roll their eyes at the X-Men: Second Coming ad that was in Marvel books this week? The tagline reads, "Many will fall. Several will die." Naturally, it's written by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost.

For some reason the, "Several will die," bit is really funny to me. It's like they realized that it's become trite to kill one character, so they couldn't do that. Saying, "A couple will die," doesn't have much gravitas. "A few will die," is getting there, but not quite. "Many will die," is overselling it. Then it snapped into place. "Several will die!"

Several to me sounds so casual. Like they couldn't be bothered to keep track, like they have to remind themselves of just who is going to bite the dust.

Solar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good thing my favorite X-Men character can't be killed!

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No see Furu, that's the twist.

I mean, they just recently killed Diamond Lil by having some mutant touch her and zap her with mutant energy, when her whole gimmick was that she was immune to physical and energy attacks.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Many will fall, but several will die. WTF? Are the X-Men weeble-wobbles now?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    No see Furu, that's the twist.

I mean, they just recently killed Diamond Lil by having some mutant touch her and zap her with mutant energy, when her whole gimmick was that she was immune to physical and energy attacks.

oh god you're right ffffucccckkkkk

Furu on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Many will fall, but several will die. WTF? Are the X-Men weeble-wobbles now?

If they were weebles then none of them would fall

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    X-Factor Forever #1 was good, a nice way to bring back some old X-Factor heavy stories, although a bit too much with Caliban (but he was a part of X-Factor for a good chunk of time, so it's not really out of place).

Good promising story, and Panosian has a great art style that looks similar to Sean Murphy's, I want to see more of his work.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well between this page
    X-ML_234_022.jpg
    and Munch now I'm paranoid that they're going to kill him off somehow. THANKS MUNCH YOU RUIN EVERYTHING

Furu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone actually care about Rogue? Also, that is some stilted dialogue right there.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's not stitled, Carey-bashing is 100x worse than a hate crime, and they're mutants too! Have you no shame, Fencingsax?

Rogue has been pretty good in her new teacher role, and what they're doing with Indra is actually interesting.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not quite stilted, but the voice is pretty wrong for Santo.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They do need to move him a bit beyond "big mutant who gets knocked around by everyone"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's not stitled, Carey-bashing is 100x worse than a hate crime, and they're mutants too! Have you no shame, Fencingsax?

I bashed Carey when they first put him on X-Men, but I'd like to state for the record that I was wrong. I'm a huge fan of his novels and supernatural work, but Legacy has gotten so good under him.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They do need to move him a bit beyond "big mutant who gets knocked around by everyone"

I'm talking more about the language than the characterization. The verbal tics like "kind of", "I mean", and "at that" feel out of place, especially for a character like Santo who'd probably express worry by becoming defensive, not by letting an uncertain tone creep into his word choices.

The whole thing reads like the writer wasn't given a description of Santos, but just an index card with "vulnerable teenager with invulnerability issues" written on it.

That said, I do buy that Santos would have an existential crisis over his powers.

But not that Rogue can quote Descartes off-hand.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm talking more about the language than the characterization. The verbal tics like "kind of", "I mean", and "at that" feel out of place, especially for a character like Santo who'd probably express worry by becoming defensive, not by letting an uncertain tone creep into his word choices.

The whole thing reads like the writer wasn't given a description of Santos, but just an index card with "vulnerable teenager with invulnerability issues" written on it.

That said, I do buy that Santos would have an existential crisis over his powers.

But not that Rogue can quote Descartes off-hand
    I was more referring to Rogue's dialogue. Of Course, I feel nothing but apathy about her, which is why I lost all interest in Legacy the moment Rogue began starring in it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After second coming it's going back to Apocalyse.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    THANKS MUNCH YOU RUIN EVERYTHING
    It's my one great joy in life.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whilce Portacio's pencils in the preview aren't that good.

I give the guy a lot of slack because the first comic I ever read was his art, but the #522 preview isn't wowing me.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It wasn't Magneto's doing. Didn't Scott read Venus' advice column?

She heard Silver Surfer wasn't available and turned it around and came home.

You know how she is with silver-colored dudes. :winky:

desc on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apocalypse has to be the most inept villain the X-Men ever faced

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whilce Portacio's pencils in the preview aren't that good.

I give the guy a lot of slack because the first comic I ever read was his art, but the #522 preview isn't wowing me.

Huh. I thought Fraction at least had a handle on how the X-men sounded. I guess not.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly that writing doesn't seems amazing anyway. Fraction has slipped a bit on this one, as far as the preview shows.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, X-Factor forever. What do you guys think?

I grabbed it for the art and I'm sort of on the fence about the writing and the tone of the dialog and the nonstop thought bubbles.

On the one hand, it sounds appropriate to the period circa X-factor #63. On the other hand, it feels sort of stilted to me, especially alongside the hip art.

Regardless, I do like these sorts of fanservice little series when they happen to target my personal interests, so I'll probably grab the series and the trade, if they do a hardcover.

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wrote earlier that I enjoyed it. Granted, it gets heavy with the exposition, but compared to X-Men Forever it was a lot better to jumpstart my memory from those issues, like Sabertooth at the time was an Archangel enemy, or the Opal and Bobby stuff.

And I like Simone's idea of Apocalypse origin, as well as tying into the Celestial stuff she did around #40-50 of the run.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So whatever happened to Nate Grey? I'm assuming he didn't turn into Teen Wolf.

Crimsondude on