As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I made a post about the Droid in the Android thread, about my experience with it in comparison to an iPhone. Comments?

Here's the post if you don't want to load the other thread:
    Hey, I don't want to come in and shit all over this thread, but I'm kind of in the market for a smart phone, and an iPhone is currently out of the question due to AT&T not offering service where I currently live. But I tried a Droid and was not at all impressed, so I was hoping someone could offer some counterpoints to my bad experience that might keep Android-based phones in the running.

Basically this phone had three main problems: it was slower than an iPhone, froze a lot (mainly the browser), and isn't nearly as easy to use as an iPhone.

With regard to the freezing: I got it hung on some web page, and then spent hours and hours trying to make it do a google search with absolutely nothing happening until I finally figured out that the browser had a "window" concept, and that I had never actually killed the frozen window (though I thought I had, many times! so the UI left something to be desired), and for some reason that was keeping all new windows from doing anything. This is not the kind of user experience I value in a phone.

As for speed, compared to an iPhone it just felt a little sluggish and unresponsive, slow to render graphics. Nothing else to say really.

The user interface thing is kind of the big one tbh. (I kind of expect a phone to be a little sluggish - I mean, it is tiny.) I wouldn't have considered handing this phone to my mom, for example, who is completely computer-illiterate, even though she easily figured out an iPhone and actually had fun with one. For me, this kind of ease translates into getting stuff done more quickly and with less stress.

(Minor point: the physical keyboard was a total waste since it was harder to use than the virtual one, but I imagine that only applies to that particular phone.)

Good things: complete integration with google apps, which I already rely on heavily because I use so many different computers it really became the only reasonable thing to do.

LoneIgadzra on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you thought the Droid was slow and had a shit keyboard, go Nexus One, it has a faster processor. Personally I have found none of the problems you mention with the droid, and slowness and hanging up are one of my big annoyances so trust me I would bitch if that was the case.

I have gotten used to the keyboard well enough. Definitely prefer it over the two virtual ones.

If you don't want Android and can't do iPhone, you really don't have many options. WinMo 6.5 is kind of a joke imo and I am not sure when 7 is coming out. Pre looked decent, but hasn't seemed to catch in and I'm not sure how much longer it is going to be around.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone know how to fix the map apparently or at least roll back the update? I really need that inexpensive GPS. :S

RoyceSraphim on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty much the rule with the Droid and its keyboard is that it sucks for the first week, and gets pretty okay so long as you don't have ham fists or sausage fingers. So long as you've got pretty standard sized hands, the learning curve to the keyboard is pretty much the same as a netbook.

Mustachio Jones on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Epyon9283 wrote: »
    DesertBox wrote: »
    So I haven't seen this anywhere, but is the Droid getting the 5 home screens that is standard on Android 2.1? As opposed to the Droid's 3?

No. Still stuck at 3.

uhhh... yes, once 2.1 is loaded onto the Droid, it will have the standard 5 home screens

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Epyon9283 wrote: »
    DesertBox wrote: »
    So I haven't seen this anywhere, but is the Droid getting the 5 home screens that is standard on Android 2.1? As opposed to the Droid's 3?

No. Still stuck at 3.

uhhh... yes, once 2.1 is loaded onto the Droid, it will have the standard 5 home screens

I'm reasonably certain someone from either Motorola or Verizon confirmed it was only 3 screens on like Wednesday, back when they were all supposed to roll out today.

Snork on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I read that too, though I don't remember the source.

I'm very frustrated by this 2.1 delay, mostly because I'm excited and don't want to be led on. I read that the OTA distribution company is rushing to work with a third party to get these updates out ASAP, but I hope that it isn't a week+ delay. I reallyyy hope to have live wallpapers by the end of this weekend/beginning of next week! ...but I won't bitch on blog comment sections if that doesn't happen. I'll just be disappointed until it hits.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty freaking pissed too, considering how relentlessly Motorola has been fucking up with regard to this. I can bet that Bitfone company or whatever probably won't be getting more OTA distribution contracst after this.

Snork on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty freaking pissed too, considering how relentlessly Motorola has been fucking up with regard to this. I can bet that Bitfone company or whatever probably won't be getting more OTA distribution contracst after this.

Obviously the ideal scenario is to have the product delivered working and on time.

It would appear, however, that someone somewhere doesn't quite have their shit together and is thus causing a delay. Since I rely on my phone for a whole heck of a lot of things I suppose I would rather wait for an update that works than get a half-baked one that will require a patch right away.

Michael H on
    edited March 2010
    I know they probably don't want to resort to this, but if their OTA option is f'd, they need to have a DIY online option for those of capable enough to upgrade it ourselves.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This would be an issue with the functionality of the update process once downloaded or the update itself, not the fact that it's downloaded wirelessly.

JAEF on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright so, after being completely satisfied with the Droid for a couple months now, I went ahead and bought the car dock.

Anyone else completely unable to get the Car Home application to voice dial? Every time, it just searches for "Call _____" on Google search. Looking around, I find that this is a problem most people seem to have, but there are just enough responses on forums and comments on blogs that lead me to believe it at least works for a few people-

so, anyone want to give it a try and confirm or deny?
    Simply load car home, touch "Voice Search," and try it out.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited March 2010
    It works for me about 70% of the time

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Is there anything you had to do: an option to enable, or some other random process other than what I listed?
    It hasn't worked once

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited March 2010

Is there anything you had to do: an option to enable, or some other random process other than what I listed?
    It hasn't worked once

Well the 2 time's I've used it since my last post it has failed. And now that I think about it, it has been sketchier more recently. Don't know if it's the location I moved the mount to being noisier or something. :?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Alright so, after being completely satisfied with the Droid for a couple months now, I went ahead and bought the car dock.

Anyone else completely unable to get the Car Home application to voice dial? Every time, it just searches for "Call _____" on Google search. Looking around, I find that this is a problem most people seem to have, but there are just enough responses on forums and comments on blogs that lead me to believe it at least works for a few people-

so, anyone want to give it a try and confirm or deny?
    Simply load car home, touch "Voice Search," and try it out.

i've never used it, but my mom got a droid the same time i did and she's never really been able to make much use of it.

Snork on
    edited March 2010
    Fuck it. I'm rooting.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sick of waiting for 2.1 or is there something else you have in mind? I have no problem with rooting, but I haven't seen anything out there yet to make me give it a try.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

It hasn't worked once

it has always worked for me except when i mangle words.

dasnoob on
    edited March 2010
    risumon wrote: »
    Sick of waiting for 2.1 or is there something else you have in mind? I have no problem with rooting, but I haven't seen anything out there yet to make me give it a try.

Sick of waiting on 2.1 and ran across this video tutorial at droid-life.

edit: well with doing other stuff at work, plus the DL times, I'm finally up to Cyanogen 5.0.5. Re-installing apps. Maps active wallpaper is pretty slick

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I pulled the trigger and ordered mine today with some accessories for a big ole 32 bucks. Now to see if I can get my employee discount even though when I called the verizon people they said it probably wasn't gonna happen since I didn't purchase from their stores.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    risumon wrote: »

Sick of waiting on 2.1 and ran across this video tutorial at droid-life.

edit: well with doing other stuff at work, plus the DL times, I'm finally up to Cyanogen 5.0.5. Re-installing apps. Maps active wallpaper is pretty slick

I rooted mine with DroidMod 1.0 so I could do WiFi tethering.

I didn't even know there was a version of Cyanogen for Droid. Where did you get it? I assume you can just load the ROM to your phone and just use DM1.0 to upgrade to Cyanogen?

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    I got Cyanogen thru Rom Manager. I think the second part of the tutorial shows it.

My 2 main complaints are that Pandora does work for me and neither does navigation. I can get directions, and it will track my location, but it won't do the navigation part.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Is there a way to install all available updates at one time? On the iphone/ipod you can do "Update all", but I can't seem to find anything like that for the Android store.

edit: To clarify, this is updates to individual applications, not the phone OS.

Michael H on
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got Cyanogen thru Rom Manager. I think the second part of the tutorial shows it.

My 2 main complaints are that Pandora does work for me and neither does navigation. I can get directions, and it will track my location, but it won't do the navigation part.

Yeah, I'm a silly goose for not doing my research. I have DM1.0 now, and it's OK, but I'm curious about Cyanogen. I just have concerns about switching from one to the other. I'm afraid that if I use the ROM Manager now, it will cause bad things to happen because I already have DM1.0 on it. I might have to experiment on it tonight.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    phekno wrote: »

Yeah, I'm a silly goose for not doing my research. I have DM1.0 now, and it's OK, but I'm curious about Cyanogen. I just have concerns about switching from one to the other. I'm afraid that if I use the ROM Manager now, it will cause bad things to happen because I already have DM1.0 on it. I might have to experiment on it tonight.
    The tutorial has you go from stock to DM to Cyanogen.
    The only problem I've had was that google maps nav was broken when I switched over. I uninstalled the update and reupdated and it seems to be working fine now.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Is there a way to install all available updates at one time? On the iphone/ipod you can do "Update all", but I can't seem to find anything like that for the Android store.

edit: To clarify, this is updates to individual applications, not the phone OS.

This would be a nice option. But I havent seen any more than 3 or 4 updates at one time and its just a couple clicks to start one update and a couple more to start the next one.

Jubal77 on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So hey, the 2.1 update is happening for real... the first thousand got it at noon with a few thousand more later tonight and then on and on and on.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    edited March 2010
    Sweet.... Im not one of the first group though :( heh

Jubal77 on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, only 25 minutes until the next rollout. Hope I'm one of those 9,000 who get selected. Let us know if you get the update at midnight!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone ripped dvds to their droid and what do they use? I tried hand brake and got a lot of freezing. Trying to convert using VLC (I know handbrake is derived from VLC) but I still would like to know what people use as far as settings. I also want the text to speech function as quickly as possible!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone at what hour intervals the rollouts happen?

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone ripped dvds to their droid and what do they use? I tried hand brake and got a lot of freezing. Trying to convert using VLC (I know handbrake is derived from VLC) but I still would like to know what people use as far as settings. I also want the text to speech function as quickly as possible!

This might be helpful, perhaps not. But for my Hero, I use the Handbrake iPhone preset to rip all videos. It works fine for the resolution, and I imagine it would be similar for the Droid. The only time I get a freeze from Handbrake is from a corrupted file/bad download.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    200,000 at 11:59PM starting tonight and every night (or every other night) is what the release said I believe

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    edited March 2010
    If any one is using a car mount and hating the Car Home, I just loaded up the "Car Dock" app. It's nothing pretty but it gives you 3 pages each with 6 large apps/short cuts of you choosing. With an live wallpaper (i use waveform) it actually looks pretty cool.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited March 2010
    If any one is using a car mount and hating the Car Home, I just loaded up the "Car Dock" app. It's nothing pretty but it gives you 3 pages each with 6 large apps/short cuts of you choosing. With an live wallpaper (i use waveform) it actually looks pretty cool.

I use the car dock every day, this sounds good. I'll check it out.

Michael H on
  • SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but now that the official update is going out, if you're impatient you can update it manually, without having to root it. Did it just now, it's pretty simple to do, albeit odd.

This is the guide I used, worked fine for me, and the live backgrounds are oh so sweet:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-droid-android-21

Srol on
    edited March 2010
    Crap... Should I try to apply the patch manually? There are a few people that are reboot cycling on the comments. Would be just my luck that it would happen to me.

Jubal77 on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just did the Manual update it is seemed to go pretty effortlessly. I have no idea how something could go wrong short of the download of the update being corrupt or something. It's literally like 4 steps.

The live wallpapers and new Gallery are pretty neat. I'm definitely pretty miffed at there still only being 3 home screens. I may end up rooting now that I have 2.1 to just get more homescreens. That's really all I want more out of this phone.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter