As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Threadless submission - Jake's Thread

• Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really like it!

Voted!

no_toast on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think i would totally buy that

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While I personally wouldn't buy it, that's definitely something that looks like it would make it onto one of their shirts.

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The artwork you're posting is fun and inspiring. It's obvious that you care about what you're doing, and that's an excellent quality to have in your art.

Keep posting stuff, Jake. This is a cool thread.

Paradise on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted. That's great. I love the texture.

Also, I like that comic a lot more now that I get what's going on. Good work, I like your graphic style.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys. Fingers crossed I guess!

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was just going to bump this, but I'll post some arts. If you haven't already voted for me on Threadless though, please do!

vote

3wzsW.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    FoxFanfareFoxFanfare Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey Jake, did you ever get your robot-lifecycle thing printed?
    This isn't meant to imply that anything you've posted since then isn't awesome

FoxFanfare on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    rootroot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man, threadless. kudos for taking on the largest contest of the pile, every now and again I enter in the shirt.woot derby but the idea of tackling the threadless juggernaut still kind of intimidates me.

root on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cheers. Didn't win that pile. Managed to win some others though. I've just designed a poster for reddit.com (which I unfortunately can't reveal yet, but I'm really happy with it), and this one for breadpig.com.

seWjo.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great illo! I particularly like the pig tail. Nice touch.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    kinda big. Anyway;

aDrDd.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    aNBmN.jpg

Is the small text on this too dark?

(it reads 'bodies are strewn across the tracks, and the air is filled with the moans of the dying')

Jake! on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    no, I think it's just right.

tynic on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think its too thick if anything, personally. Maybe its just the size of my monitor but it seemed a but hard to read.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it would be easier to read (and maybe look better?) if it were horizontal.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't think it has to be horizontal, but you probably could tilt the whole thing in that direction a bit and still keep your vertical design. Pretty cool.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Right, it doesn't seem to be intended to be read horizontal, but to me, horizontal would read better. But a tilt would probably work.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm... I want to make the text a little 'stumbly' to read, whilst keeping it legible. I'll give tilting it more to the side a go. What I'm most concerned about is if you start to read at the right point. I definitely want to keep it vertical.

3r6SR.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Man jake, I really love that animal farm poster (I made it my desktop), and it makes me want to make propaganda posters for animal farm myself. Sometimes I wish you would shorten your wording on some of the posters because I feel like they make their point before I get to the end of the text, but I guess that could just be me.

Love the imagery though.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haha awesome, great pic to start with Jake. And now that I know the context it's even better. :^:

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cheers guys.

Iruka: I probably agree with you, although which specifically do you feel like that about? Glad you like the poster. The next one I'm doing for breadpig has a lot of words on it!

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    'obamacare' wip. Not sure about how much the comp is working;

4458723656_26cf56bf28_o.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The texture and backdrop is ace, but as a typography design that communicates a phrase, I don't think it works that well, for some reason. The one you did with the trains had the same sort of vertical design, but the text was far easier to read and more visually interesting. This feels like it might be slanted to the right, so much that you have to turn your head a whole lot to actually read it, instead of slanted slightly to the left to facilitate the reading.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    tIz6k.jpg

"I made a robot powered by hate, but I loved it so much it didn't work."

Jake! on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    sorry I didn't get back to you before, I couldn't think of specific examples. Something like this though, I would just think of shorter ways to say it.

So instead of:
    "I made a robot powered by hate, but I loved it so much it didn't work."

Maybe
    "I made a robot powered by hate, but I killed it with my love."

You may want to write out 5-10 different ways to say it, trying to really sharply say your point.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cheers, although I have to say I disagree with you in this particular instance. I think for the words to flow the length is right. I'm definitely guilty of being over-wordy in other pieces though.

roQPi.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "on how" or "by how"

By how seems like it reads better to me... is this a direct quote from someone?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I had difficulty deciding between 'by' and 'on' too. I went with 'on' as it's a contraction of a quote that uses 'on'.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Great work, J. I like this design alot. :^:

One thing I noticed though - I can see white shapes behind the hand-drawn bits at the bottom of the design. i.e. they are slightly lighter than the background.

I presume it's where you dropped in the scanned linework, and I'm also presuming the layers are meant to be set to Multiply!

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shaft, cheers man.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I made this into a threadless t-shirt; you can vote on it here.

Jake! on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dig it, but would prefer it with a slightly larger font and without the swirlies on the bottom of the base, jump the splatter silhouettes. also, I'm digging the red. maybe a pink?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like the initial design but personally don't feel it works as a Threadless tee. Despite the fact that they have a pretty wide range of imagery, I think there is a very specific vibe of 'playfulness' which makes a Threadless tee, and even though I love the narrative and idea of your design, the strong silhouette and type make it feel ever-so-slightly too serious. Just my personal feeling though, so make of that what you will.

I think you should definitely give this design a whirl on Designed by Humans as well.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys, it seems to be getting a good response on threadless, but if it doesn't win I'll make a couple of tweaks and try DBH.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My Animal Farm poster is now up on the XKCD store if anyone is interested.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Not sure how I feel about this piece; I think the idea is solid but I fucked up on the execution? Thoughts?

lWtUw.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The first problem with your picture is that it isn't this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think that poster would be better with just the second paragraph. its much too long otherwise.

Nappuccino on