As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acrimony 101

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And I don't know, interlock your fingers so you can't type anymore without making it look like the following.

adgbhjlfaskgnklfhojadwlbkvsdc b.sdasdvkfsdjajf

Blake T on
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i can still type this way it just takes longer!!

pillow on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    blake if viv sees you blatantly flirting with pillow, she will be mad

Raneados on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If viv gets to flirt with pillow, so do I.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We do things as a couple see?

Also pillow I don't believe you would have held down the shift key and hit one for the exclamation mark.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    CAPSLOOOOOOOOOOC

tonights not a good night

why am i still typing like this

pillow on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    can you two do me as a couple

Weaver on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    capslock doesn't affect the punctuation and number keys

pillow you liar

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good internet detective Rane.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh shIIIII

i did not type the first one correctly, fingers mingling. and still I am cheating by kinda poking out my index finger

pillow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    peter-venkman-ghostbusters.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    i would be very surprised if lady gaga did not get to approve each and every idea in her music videos

You're probably right, but the class is supposedly on music and gender, and the prompt grossly conflates music and video in trying to tie feminism to creative primacy and intentionality. I don't put any real stock in critical theory, but I think you'd be even harder pressed to make any meaningful point about feminist imagery by marginalizing the man who directed the Smack My Bitch Up video as well as a video featuring Rammstein engaging in explicit penetrative sex.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anny, do you still have a beard?

Weaver on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the second jesus fuck annie don't ask silly goose questions

Raneados on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    was there ever a façade in the first place

e: AW YEAH GOOGLE WANTS ME TO USE A CEDILLA. DOIN DIS

id rather use a quesadilla

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    R

U

D

E

B

O

X

Weaver on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh holy shit that second one is amazing, so mad we don't have TDS/TCR here for another few weeks.

L|ama on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was a good daily show

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

So, for one of the Gen Eds i'm taking is a class called Music and Gender, and the professor just handed out the essay topics which included this gem.
    Lady Gaga's music and image has been influenced by the likes of David Bowie, Fred Mercury from Queen, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Gwen Stefani. In her latest video set to the music "Telephone," Lady Gaga along with Beyonce presents an array of images of androgyny and hyper femininity in her narrative that begins with doing time in a women's prison. In this video that refers to the film Thelma and Louise, Lady Gaga weaves a tale of poisoning Beyonce's repulsive boyfriend as well as the other patrons of the restaurant, and then proceeds to drive off in the sunset with Beyonce.

For your paper, discuss some of the details of popular culture that the video is incorporating and argue what does Lady Gaga's pastiche of popular culture do for her audience. (Britney Spear's video of "One More Time" for example). How does her audience understand these controversial images that border on the obscene? What is the significance of including Beyonce in the music video? In your opinion, is Lady Gaga a feminist in her surreal play of images that involve lesbianism in her music video? Or is re-inscribing misogynistic views of women?

This is not dissimilar to the conversation Leanna and I had about it. It's a good topic.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

So, for one of the Gen Eds i'm taking is a class called Music and Gender, and the professor just handed out the essay topics which included this gem.
    Lady Gaga's music and image has been influenced by the likes of David Bowie, Fred Mercury from Queen, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Gwen Stefani. In her latest video set to the music "Telephone," Lady Gaga along with Beyonce presents an array of images of androgyny and hyper femininity in her narrative that begins with doing time in a women's prison. In this video that refers to the film Thelma and Louise, Lady Gaga weaves a tale of poisoning Beyonce's repulsive boyfriend as well as the other patrons of the restaurant, and then proceeds to drive off in the sunset with Beyonce.

For your paper, discuss some of the details of popular culture that the video is incorporating and argue what does Lady Gaga's pastiche of popular culture do for her audience. (Britney Spear's video of "One More Time" for example). How does her audience understand these controversial images that border on the obscene? What is the significance of including Beyonce in the music video? In your opinion, is Lady Gaga a feminist in her surreal play of images that involve lesbianism in her music video? Or is re-inscribing misogynistic views of women?

Does your teacher understand the difference between music and film?

Yes?

I'm feeling a bit dense as i'm not quite sure what you're getting at.
    In your opinion, is Lady Gaga a feminist in her surreal play of images that involve lesbianism in her music video? Or is re-inscribing misogynistic views of women?

All of the points mentioned in the prompt are facets of the video, directed by someone who is not Lady GaGa.

i would be very surprised if lady gaga did not get to approve each and every idea in her music videos

I would be not at all surprised if... she did get to... not...

fuck that sentence is dumb

I would be surprised if she did have complete creative control. there we go

she's another super-produced glam rocker and a pop star. her producers "co-author" all the music these days

I do not understand the widespread impression that she's some kind of totally independent artist

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    moocow wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Here I thought she killed her boyfriend because he was an abusive paparazzi baiter. It was mind control all along!

gagago.gif

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tbh lady gaga is fun as hell
    During her Monster Ball extravaganza, which is heading to Melbourne on Tuesday, there is a video of a model vomiting on Gaga. The singer also eats what appears to be a human heart and bathes in blood.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    you'll never hear me say it's bad theater

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I clicked on an ad on that vigilant citizen blog

I wish I hadn't

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    am I ready to jump into other dimensions?

oh yes please

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    aww man it's just a get rich quick scam

booo-rrrring

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and I was ready to go full-on sliders :(

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Arizona sheriff launches immigration sweep
    PHOENIX – The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Arizona has launched a two-day, countywide crime and immigration sweep that authorities say will focus on drop houses, drug violators and human smuggling vehicles.

Four hundred deputies and volunteer posse members are taking part in the patrols. The sweep, which began Thursday, is Sheriff Joe Arpaio's 14th since early 2008.

During the sweeps, deputies flood an area of a city — in some cases heavily Latino areas — to seek out traffic violators and arrest other alleged lawbreakers.

Critics say Arpaio's deputies have racially profiled Hispanics. The sheriff says deputies approach people only when they have probable cause to believe people have committed crimes.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    and I was ready to go full-on sliders :(

Mr Mallorie, please

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    .avi.avi regular
    edited March 2010
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Arizona sheriff launches immigration sweep
    PHOENIX – The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Arizona has launched a two-day, countywide crime and immigration sweep that authorities say will focus on drop houses, drug violators and human smuggling vehicles.

Four hundred deputies and volunteer posse members are taking part in the patrols. The sweep, which began Thursday, is Sheriff Joe Arpaio's 14th since early 2008.

During the sweeps, deputies flood an area of a city — in some cases heavily Latino areas — to seek out traffic violators and arrest other alleged lawbreakers.

Critics say Arpaio's deputies have racially profiled Hispanics. The sheriff says deputies approach people only when they have probable cause to believe people have committed crimes.
    lol

.avi on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joe, that appears to have little to do with Lady Gaga.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh good Arpaio's at it again

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    .avi.avi regular
    edited March 2010
    *pulls over brown person for broken windshield, deports*

.avi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh no, I read the comments!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    .avi.avi regular
    edited March 2010
    GO GET THEM JOE!!! WE LOVE YOU!!
    i am killing myself

.avi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I like how user "ANIMAL CRACKA" thinks only 50% of the people in LA country speak English

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You go JOE, and while you're at it go to our White House and nab the guy who won't show his birth certificate, while he destroys the USA. P.S. There is also a loser in the Senate that loves to support illegals. His name is Senile John......

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh wow they're all birthers

is it just the nature of the article or is this par for the course with Yahoo news?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I like how user "ANIMAL CRACKA" thinks only 50% of the people in LA country speak English

Snopes is on it

JoeUser on
This discussion has been closed.