As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SOLVED] Changing GUID of a motherboard?

Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi,

at work we just got our hands on a small machine based on the ASROCK A330ION Micro ITX Atom 330 board with the Nvidia ION chipset & AMI BIOS.

I attempted to install Windows 7 via remote installation, but the GUID exists already (several times, in fact) in our Active Directory. (I'm typically not responsible for installations. I have no idea how the guys went for so long without noticing that the GUIDs were being duplicated left and right)

The GUID is set to 00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009 upon boot from LAN, which is obviously a bullshit number.

How can I change this so that Windows 7 will install properly? The other machines are XP machines, and installing Win 7 with Win XP policies doesn't exactly work right...

Edit: I tried putting in a second network card just for the install... didn't work. This board only has 1x PCI-Express slot and the only PCI-Express network card we had laying around didn't want to be recognized by the board.

Edit:
Solved!

I found a tool online for AMI BIOS chips called AMIDMI.EXE which has the ability to reprogram the chips GUID.

http://www.wintotal.de/server/tipps/amidmi.zip

With that tool, which is apparently from ASROCK for AMI BIOSes (BIOII?), I was able to reassign a completely random GUID to the board. (amidmi /u)

Now Windows 7 is fully installed vis RIS and works as expected.

Locust76 on

• TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Note: I'm not an IT administrator, just throwing out some ideas:

1) Have you tried taking the computer off the domain and installing Windows in person?
    2) If the GUID exists multiple times in Active Directory already, is there a way to override it's functionality (or some permissions level) that allows for multiple GUIDs existing at the same time? One of your coworkers must have done something similar to get multiple exact GUIDs into the system.
    3) Is the Windows 7 Disc you have an official Windows 7 Installation disc, or is it a burned copy from somewhere? Could be a problem with the burn to disc, or the copy may not be legit.

Tejs on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are a ton of boards out there with malformed GUIDs out there and that number seems to be the default response when it cannot be read. Normally, you would put it in a banned list so that when booting from it, it would respond with only the mac address. You can get information on how to ban malformed GUIDs on server 2008 here.

stigweard on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wouldn't banning GUIDs also fuck with the many machines that have working installs and fucked up GUIDs? I'll have to talk with the guys who dick around with the AD, as I don't have much to do with it.

Locust76 on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solved!

I found a tool online for AMI BIOS chips called AMIDMI.EXE which has the ability to reprogram the chips GUID.

http://www.wintotal.de/server/tipps/amidmi.zip

With that tool, which is apparently from ASROCK for AMI BIOSes (BIOII?), I was able to reassign a completely random GUID to the board. (amidmi /u)

Now Windows 7 is fully installed vis RIS and works as expected.

Locust76 on
This discussion has been closed.