As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Warrior_42_Cover.jpg

Antimatter on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Truly the best costume is no costume.

Scooter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I think Beetle does one of the best jobs of integrating a logo into his costume. I hate when they're just sort of tacked onto the chest, just because that's how Superman does it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love how when Guy Gardner is turned into a woman his clothing seems to dissapear.

Solar on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guy got turned into a woman? I mean I see the picture up there but I didn't realize that was Guy.

Lucascraft on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Though I'm having a hard time finding good pictures of them online, I thought the vast majority of the DC One Million redesigns were successful. They were, by and large, just the basic costumes with a sleeker look. But I thought making Wonder Woman a marble statue, and having Aquaman wear netting and such, looked pretty cool.

And on the subject of future versions of heroes, I always thought the redesign for Dark Flash/Walter West looked pretty cool.

2qjxb2g.jpg
    The darker red and heavy shadows play well against the bright silver armbands and anklets, and the silver lighting's pretty groovy. Honestly, I'm not sure why DC didn't use this design for Wally after Barry returned. It retains the essential Flash iconography, while still clearly distinguishing him from Barry.

Munch on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know who has a damn good costume?

DR-Fate-CTM-tpb-cvr_medium.jpg

Dr. Fate.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2010
    Why are there so many more super-doctors than professors?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    I like that the new Fate costume dropped the golden girdle and boots in lieu of a simplified belt. Also, if we're talking about Doctor Fate, we have to talk about Fate, the only character so extreme he kept his knives sheathed in his skin.

Though he actually had an appearance in a Batman comic I had as a kid, which wasn't too bad. There he was basically just a guy in a trench coat with funky hair and a tattoo.

Munch on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why are there so many more super-doctors than professors?

Because all the professors are evil!

Silver_Mage on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    iron fist without the crazy collar is awesome

IRONFIST_006.jpg

or orson

141473-112959-orson-randall_large.jpg
    holy crap, look at the torso.

also, i like fentomax's all white costume

fantomex+mystery.jpg
    though the collar again, is a bit too much

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really liked Noh-varr's alien commando look, but I will be damned if I can find pictures of it. I think it looked a lot cooler with the pants. Without the pants, it sort of looks like a wetsuit.

And Marvel Boy, from Agents of Atlas, looks pretty neat.

DouglasDanger on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    iron fist without the crazy collar is awesome

IRONFIST_006.jpg

or orson

141473-112959-orson-randall_large.jpg
    holy crap, look at the torso.

also, i like fentomax's all white costume

fantomex+mystery.jpg
    though the collar again, is a bit too much

If that were a coat, rather than a vest, it would be just about perfect.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2010
    CaptainMarvel15.jpg

Antimatter on
    edited March 2010
    638515-twilight_super.jpg

They should be friends.

I do actually like Twilight's look, as it's just absurd enough for me. Why shouldn't the sky be wearing a hat?

Robos A Go Go on
  • John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, since my other favourite costume (Iron fist) has been posted, I'll mention this one, the Captain Britain redesign from MI13.
    captainbritainmi13_031.jpg
    708643-captain_britain_and_mi13_11.jpg
    Along with that, the redesign for the Black Knight was fun too.
    370842-115525-black-knight_super.jpg
    The jacket has his crest on the back.

John the Skrull on
    edited March 2010
    How do we feel about "Darkest Knight" Batman?
    602222-darkest_knight_super.jpg

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2010
    Looks a whole lot less like Batman and more like Owlman. And what's that symbol supposed to mean? It doesn't even remotely resemble a Bat. Looks like a bullseye for badguys to shoot.

Lucascraft on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty sure that's from the story where Batman becomes a GL, so the symbol is the lantern.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2010
    Is he holding a fish? Cause it looks like he's holding a fish.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2010
    that's his cape

Antimatter on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    spiderman_unlimited.png

I always thought this was kinda cool.

A web cape!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, since my other favourite costume (Iron fist) has been posted, I'll mention this one, the Captain Britain redesign from MI13.
    captainbritainmi13_031.jpg
    708643-captain_britain_and_mi13_11.jpg
    Along with that, the redesign for the Black Knight was fun too.
    370842-115525-black-knight_super.jpg
    The jacket has his crest on the back.

I was going to post Cap Britain myself, I really appreciate his newest look.

Wildcat on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of ones I enjoy (Phoenix!!!!) have already been posted, so I'll make do with this.

215250-67720-captain-marvel_super.jpg

I think Captain Marvel's costume is way iconic, and great.

I also think the new costume they've shown Siryn in on covers (but not within the comics yet because she's not really in the story) is pretty swank
    xfactor200.jpg

And speaking of screamin' mutants, I liked the Banshee design they showed on Project Rooftop a few days ago, even though they gave him a vulture face.
    BansheeCol.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited March 2010
    spiderman_unlimited.png

I always thought this was kinda cool.

A web cape!

I do really like that costume, and this one, too:

2099Spiderman.gif

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know, I thought I would have a lot more bad costumes in here, but not really, because some of them you can't fault due to the time period they were made in (like all the old JSA outfits excluding Flash and Wildcat). But these are probably the other bad costumes out there:

jsa0007.jpg

aranamarveluniversesq2.jpg

Geo-Force.jpg

And both of these two women:

256952-72871-power-girl.jpg

250601-87561-geo-force_super.jpg

And despite being 80's this one is bad 80's, like Barbara Streisand or Cher:

200px-Harbinger_01.png

And basically all of the Avengers Academy recruits, especially the Johnny Weir lightning guy.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, Geo-Force. I had an idea for a revision of his costume that would kind of represent different sediment striations; you know, red for molten earth, grey for layers of compressed stone, brown for dirt, and then green for plant life. But it never really came together.

Also, while Black Canary's pretty consistently gone from having pants to not, I'm bummed that this costume never caught on.

2d8p9ja.jpg
    It doesn't really have as much of a bird theme as I'd like, but then again neither does a leather one-piece and fishnets. And her eighties uniform with the headband and gigantic bird logo certainly wasn't the way to go. But I'm sure there's a healthy compromise to be found somewhere between the two extremes.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Her JSA costume was her best, I agree. Not only that it was more accurate for someone who gets into close combat, it looked more leader-like for when she was chairwoman of the JSA.

TexiKen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man what was with the 90s obsession with those thigh-bandoliers?

KalTorak on
    edited March 2010
    I have always been distracted by how Starfire looks. ( :winky: ? )

starfire.jpg

How is anyone supposed to take her seriously?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote:
    Man what was with the 90s obsession with those thigh-bandoliers?
    People got tired of Garth Ennis and James Robinson having their totally sweet and badass heroes with leather jackets make fun of superheroes for not having anyplace to put their car keys. So Rob Liefeld stepped down from on high and said, "Let there be pouches. Pouches upon pouches."

Munch on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've said it before, but I always liked Guardian's/Vindicator's original costume:

98662-43762-guardian_large.jpg

It just fits all my criteria:

1. Simple
    2. Heroic
    3. Gives you an idea of what they're about (Canadian hero)

Nightslyr on
    edited March 2010
    John Byrne may be a grumpy old man most of the week, but the guy knew how to design costumes.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    That's another well-integrated logo. Geo-Force is example of exactly what I hate, on the other hand. First off his costume frames his initials, as if initials are supposed to be especially important. Then they're just square in the middle of his chest in a circle, which is terribly unimaginative. It's as cliched as can be.

The only person who gets a pass is Superman, I suppose, simply because his symbol has been imbued with so much meaning over the years. For a character without that kind of recognition, though, the Letter logo is immediate fail.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has called Keith on saying he doesn't like Spider-Man's outfit. Was he being sarcastic?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, I'm surprised nobody has called Keith on saying he doesn't like Spider-Man's outfit. Was he being sarcastic?

His costume is bad, but it's iconic so it gets a pass.

Why do you think characters in comics always tell him it's so ugly? Everyone knows it, but it's Spider-Man so of course you can't change it (for long)

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2010
    When Spidey has other more cooler outfits (black, ben reilly, scarlet spider, armored spider-man, Iron Spider-man, 2099, House of M), the original is bleh. And I bet inkers hate it as well, I imagine a lot of blots had to be whited out when trying to do the webbing on his suit back in the day.

And Superman gets a pass because the costume is only cool for someone who is invulnerable and as powerful as Superman. This is why Justice from New Warriors is kind of a joke with his outfit, why do you need a cape when all you do is telekinesis?

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    I just assume Keith was implicitly recognizing that Ben Reilly's costume was much better.

k2k4fm.jpg
    Aw, yeah.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    House of M is better:

spidermanhouseofm.jpg

Who was the new crime lord of New York?

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    You just like seeing Peter's costume vacuum-sealed against his ass.

And I dunno about the crime lord of New York, I didn't own that issue. Let's say it was Rocket Racer.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Black is nice when the situation calls for it, but I prefer the original by far. It captures his theme without going the obvious route of dark and creepy, and it just kind of pops off the page. Whenever he's in a group shot, I feel draw to him most of all.

Reilly's outfit is nice as well, though I was never sold on the external web-shooters. They just seemed like a needless accessory after they've been invisible for so long.

I also like The Web's outfit, though I don't know how I feel about the W on his chest. It feels redundant with all the webbing already making it clear that he's the web.
    The%20WEB%20Cv1.jpg

Robos A Go Go on