As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tootmania

TootmaniaTootmania Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Okay! FINALLY everything is back in order. Time to continue whoring out my works and stuff. Here's the first of new comics to come.

site: Tootmania.com

2010-02-15-Knocked%20Up.jpg

I know, I know. It's a TERRIBLE joke. But I like corny jokes! I think corny jokes are the best jokes! Corny corny corn corn korn...

Tootmania on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would consider the heavy use of copying and pasting more problematic than the joke. It's fine to C&P sometimes, but it'll look a lot better if you have some variety of expression.

MKR on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I would consider the heavy use of copying and pasting more problematic than the joke. It's fine to C&P sometimes, but it'll look a lot better if you have some variety of expression.
    Is this a joke? There's a few panels which are clearly copy-pasted in some of the elements, but it definitely doesn't stand out. I don't think there needs to be a new fully-drawn character for every one of these panels.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't you already have two threads?

Not a fan of panels floating in black space.

Weird center panel on last row is poor use of space.

You spend time drawing/shading your characters. Why not spend some time on the background?

Why not post in other people's threads? Lend a helping hand to others?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Is this a joke? There's a few panels which are clearly copy-pasted in some of the elements, but it definitely doesn't stand out. I don't think there needs to be a new fully-drawn character for every one of these panels.

Yeah have to agree with iz on this. I see those copy pastes as more "holding the expression" than copy pastes for the sake of "couldn't be arsed drawing it again."

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Woops! Yeah, I did copy and paste a little bit too much there. But oh well!

In the mean time, here's a game cover thingy I did for some contest at some place for some reason!
    It's video game related, thus making it relevant!

tootmania_nintendo-game-cover-thing.jpg

Also a Widdle Mario for good measure:

tootmania_widdle-mario.png

Tootmania on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BOOP

Oh noez! I has been forgotted due to my lack of updating and stuff... I think... or something...

Bleh...

2010-02-22-Patty%20Wack%20Smack.PNG

Mario_Comic_Close_Up_by_Tootmania.jpg

Tootmania on
  • Options
    EyeshockEyeshock Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Tootmania wrote: »
    Oh noez! I has been forgotted due to my lack of updating and stuff... I think... or something...

This is not your personal website.

Eyeshock on
    pa_paz.jpg
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    srsizzy wrote: »

Yeah have to agree with iz on this. I see those copy pastes as more "holding the expression" than copy pastes for the sake of "couldn't be arsed drawing it again."

I'm with MKR. There's never a good reason for half the ten or so panels these have.

Jake! on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    Eyeshock wrote: »
    Tootmania wrote: »

This is not your personal website.

I don't recall making you a member of the moderating staff. Keep it to yourself.

Tube on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not the best at critiquing visual art, so I'll be short and sweet in this area. In a lot of places, it's hard for me to make out the facial expressions of the characters. They seem sorta scrunched (I'm talking about some of the strips on the site, not the ones posted in this thread, specifically.) Your style also very much reminds me of The Oatmeal, which I guess isn't a terrible thing, but I would make sure you aren't getting too close to such a popular comic.

Now, down to brass tacks. The writing. I'm not really sure I "get" any of these comics. I'm really completely at a loss for a punchline in the Pattywack strip. I'm not sure if that's an inside joke or something, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Most of the strips on your site are this way, actually. Characters are making funny faces, yelling, or slapping the hell out of eachother, but I'm not really understanding why I should be reading this comic.

I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. First, what do you want to accomplish with this strip? In other words, what do you want to say to the reader, and what do you want them to take away from reading your comic? I know you probably enjoy doing them, and you just want to put something goofy out there for people to read, but at the end of the day, people can get the same antics from comics that have a message or solid joke with every strip. It seems a bit all over the place, and you may benefit from doing some more story-boarding before drawing the comic. It seems like you may just start the comic and end it willy-nilly. Pay close attention to pacing, and I would HIGHLY suggest shortening them in general. They really drag on.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    TheMadHuntsmanTheMadHuntsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really like the style here. I'm no art critic, nor am I in any way qualified to pass judgement on a professional or knowledgable level. But this stuff is pleasing to the eye, and the jokes are nice. Keep this up XD

TheMadHuntsman on