As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I can now play video games in 3d.

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
I just got a 3d DLP TV and it turns out my video card supports 3d. Only thing I need are the glasses but is it worth it? Anyone have any experience playing games in 3d?

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are like two console games that support it right now, I believe:

Avatar: The Video Game and some shitty downloadable title

So for right now you're fucked, though something interesting may come of it some day

UnbreakableVow on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I tried it out for a bit at PAX (using Nvidia's tech) and honestly, I felt that it added more headaches than immersion.

Dehumanized on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    There are like two console games that support it right now, I believe:

Avatar: The Video Game and some shitty downloadable title

So for right now you're fucked, though something interesting may come of it some day

More video games than that.

Games
    NV_3DVision_Ready
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Biohazard 5
    Just Cause 2
    Metro 2033: The Last Refuge
    Resident Evil 5 bttn_buynow.png
    Supersonic Sled Demo
    Excellent

1701 A. D.
    1701 A. D.-The Sunken Dragon expansion pack
    3D Pong
    Age of Empires 3
    Age of Empires 3 - Asian Dynasties
    Age of Empires 3 - The War Chiefs
    Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships
    Alien vs Predator 2
    Alpine Ski Racing 2007
    Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Armed and Dangerous
    Assassin's Creed
    Attack on Pearl Harbor
    Backyad Baseball 2005
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Battlefield 2
    Battle Forge
    Bee Movie - The Game
    Beijing Olympics
    Beowulf
    Black and White 2
    Blazing Angels 2 - Secret missions of WWII
    Blood Bowl
    Boarder Zone
    Call of Duty 4 bttn_buynow.png
    Call of Duty World at War bttn_buynow.png
    Cars Mater National
    Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian
    Civilization 4
    Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword
    Club, The
    Command and Conquer 3 - Tiberiam Wars
    Company of Heroes bttn_buynow.png
    Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts bttn_buynow.png
    Crazy Machines 2 bttn_buynow.png
    Cricket 2005
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Dark One
    Dead Reefs
    Death Track Resurrection
    Demigod
    Devil May Cry 4
    Devil May Cry 4 (DX10)
    Dirt Track Racing 2
    Dream Pinball 3D
    DRIV3R
    Driver Parallel Lines
    Ducati World Championship
    Dungeon Runners
    Elven Legacy
    Empire Earth III
    Empire Total War
    Enter the Matrix
    Eragon
    Experiment, The
    F.E.A.R.
    F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
    Fable - The Lost Chapters
    Fallen Earth bttn_buynow.png
    Fallout 3 bttn_buynow.png
    Far Cry
    Far Cry 2 bttn_buynow.png
    FIFA 06
    FIFA 07
    FIFA 08
    FlatOut
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    Flight Sim X - Microsoft
    Frontlines Fuel of War bttn_buynow.png
    Gears of War
    GTR 2
    Guitar Hero 3
    Guitar Hero Aeromsith
    Gun
    Half-Life 2 - Episode 2
    Half-Life 2 - Portal
    Half-Life 2 - Team Fortress 2
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Heroes of Might and Magic 5
    High Heat Baseball 2004
    Hitman Contracts
    Hot Wheels Beat That
    I-Fluid
    Igor the Game
    Imperium Romanum
    Impossible Creatures
    Incredible Hulk
    Incredibles, The
    iRacing
    Jack Keane
    James Cameron’s Avatar: the Game
    Jericho - Clive Barker's
    LA Street Racing
    Left 4 Dead
    Lego Indiana Jones
    Lemony Snickets SUE
    Loki
    Lord of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth
    Lord of the Rings Battle For Middle Earth II
    Lord of the Rings Return of the King
    LOST Via Domus
    Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
    Madden NFL 2007
    Madden NFL 2008
    Mafia
    Mage Knight Apocalypse
    Manhunt
    Mass Effect
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Medieval 2 - Total War
    Meet the Robinsons
    Mirror's Edge
    Monster Jam
    Monster Madness - Battle for Suburbia
    Monsters vs. Aliens
    Motocross Madness 2
    MotoGP URT 3
    Mount and Blade
    NBA Live 08
    NBA Live 2005
    NBA Live 2006
    Need for Speed Carbon
    Need for Speed Pro Street
    NHL 08
    NHL 09
    NHL 2005
    NHL 2006
    Painkiller
    Painkiller Overdose
    Polar Express, The
    Prince of Persia (2008)
    Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time
    Princess and the Frog, The
    Psychonauts
    Pure
    Race 07
    Race Driver Grid
    Real Flight
    rFactor
    Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War
    Rogue Trooper
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Sega Rally Revo
    Serious Sam 2
    Space Seige
    Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
    QQ Speed
    Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars
    Spiderman 3
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Spore
    Spore Creature Creator
    STALKER - Clear Sky
    STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: Republic Commando
    Stranglehold(John Woo's)
    Supreme Commander bttn_buynow.png
    Surf's Up
    Switchball
    Sword of the New World
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Testdrive Unlimited
    Tian Xia 2
    Tiger Woods 2007
    Tiger Woods 2008
    Timeshift
    Titan Quest
    Tomb Raider - Anniversary
    Tomb Raider - Legend
    Tomb Raider - Underworld
    Tony Hawk Underground 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    Topspin
    Torino 2006
    Turok
    Two Worlds
    Universal Combat
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Unreal Tournament III
    Vampires The Masquerade -Bloodliness
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War® II
    Warhammer Online:Age of Reckoning
    Winning Eleven 7
    Wolverine's Revenge
    World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft Lich King
    X Men the Legends 2
    Good

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, THAT kind of 3D. I was about to say, congrats on your N64 purchase, but you're a bit behind the times.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard that the PS3 is getting a firmware update to support 3D games this summer.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Wow, really? Arkham Asylum in 3D?

Intriguing...

Why the fuck would the Guitar Heroes be 3D?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2010
    Anyone play 3d pc games?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I most certainly haven't. But I imagine it'd be a lot like movies. Some few just give you a headache. Most don't really add anything at all to the experience. Some feel like they only exist as to say "Hey! Woah! 3D! Isn't that neat!" And the rare few will be unbelievably awesome.

Xaviar on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Find some way to play Dactyl Nightmare.

Or maybe that Quake 3 level?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Anyone play 3d pc games?

Naw, you need a super powerful setup to do it properly. To play a PC game in 3D, your rig has to be capable of outputting double the target framerate. So, if you wanted to play Arkham Asylum at 60 FPS, your computer needs to be able to do 120 FPS under normal circumstances.

My rig needs to be upgraded to get that sort of performance.

However, I could care less because I'm not really interested in 3D gaming at the moment. Until games are being developed with Avatar level 3D in mind from conception, then I'm just not interested. All those games you listed were not designed from the ground up to be 3D, so the hardware is just forcing it. It's not "true" 3D.

I just don't see 3D catching on in gaming quite yet. I think that a lot of people are just getting into buying "regular" 1080p TV's now. More than 50% of the market is still gaming on SDTV's. The consumer market just isn't there and the development costs won't be worth it yet to most producers.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why in the hell are any of those games 3D?

Has anyone ever played any of them in 3D, ever?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    3D is the dumbest new fad. I hope it goes away.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've heard that Far Cry is a pretty good game to play in 3D because of its huge open-world nature, lots of visual depth, and broad vistas and what not. I imagine the sequel is probably pretty cool too.

Drez wrote: »

New fad? It was already a fad back in the 90's with all the "virtual reality" hype. It went away pretty quick, but some companies continued to produce stereoscopic 3D glasses for use with computer games. Only recently has this sort of thing sprung back up, most prominently of course with Nvidia's latest iteration of it.

Anyway, I think stereoscopic gaming is pretty cool and fun for a while but it's not something I'm willing to spend a lot of money on, or use a whole whole lot.

slash000 on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    However, I could care less because I'm not really interested in 3D gaming at the moment. Until games are being developed with Avatar level 3D in mind from conception, then I'm just not interested. All those games you listed were not designed from the ground up to be 3D, so the hardware is just forcing it. It's not "true" 3D.

Unclear how it isn't "true" 3D, considering stereoscopic 3D is pretty much just "render 2 images from slightly different perspectives, then feed each one to a different eye." The hardware "forcing" that would produce identical results to just having it done "properly", with the exception that the game's geometry wouldn't be designed with a knowing eye towards it being 3d (so, nobody jabbing pitchforks in your face).

Garthor on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

My brother used to say stuff like this, but he was talking about the other 3D, back in the 90s.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

My brother used to say stuff like this, but he was talking about the other 3D, back in the 90s.

3D is the dumbest old fad.

I hope it goes away.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited March 2010
    All I know is Avatar 3d is nothing like 90's 3d.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Avatar

UnbreakableVow on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the answer is dependent on your budget. If money is dear, there may be other ways to get more entertainment for your dollar.

I saw it at PAX as well and was impressed, but first impressions are a really unreliable indicator of how much fun or utility you'll get long-term. That's the very definition of a gimmick (which this may or may not be): is it something that's new and entertaining for a brief time, which you get bored of quickly? Or is it something that continues to add or enable valuable or fun things for a long time?

You will only get a reliable, trustworthy answer to this question from someone who has used this for a long time. That's not me.

Like everyone else in the thread I can only guess at the answer. I know from seeing Avatar in 3D that well-done 3D images seem to register as real. I feel like I have seen the real Jake Sully and the real Navi people, and when I see stills from the movie my visual brain parts seem to register "that is a picture, but I have seen the real thing." I anticipate you'd have some of the same effect adding 3D to your games.

I think it is NOT a meaningful addition to gameplay in terms of game mechanics themselves. Depth perception will become easier, but game designers and visual arts folks already design for one-eyed players with no depth perception. I don't think there will be a significant number of challenges that become easier or harder to succeed at.

I think it IS a meaningful addition to gameplay in terms of meaningful play. If things feel more real, maybe you'll care about them more. Also while the technology is new and unknown, using it may feel a little like gathering interesting, anecdotal evidence to share with others, and playing will bring warm fuzzy feelings where something cool happens and you feel you should tell others how cool it was, or invite friends over to experience it as well.

If money isn't too dear personally I'd go for it. I could see it going either way though.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited March 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    with the exception that the game's geometry wouldn't be designed with a knowing eye towards it being 3d (so, nobody jabbing pitchforks in your face).

I can see 3D being great, once this trend goes away. I mean really, (and this is more towards movie producers, then anything) god damnit you silly gooeses. I get that it's 3D. You don't need to shoehorn in ridiculous scenes just so something can fly at my face.

Amusingly enough, I've take classes in stereoscopic and holographic 3D design. You know what the biggest limitation is that I've come across? You lose more and more of your audience (ie, for more and more people, it loses cohesion and looks like two separate, or one blurry object again) the farther an object is in front of the projected plane. Which means, why you throw that axe over the audience, you are actually ruining the immersion for a lot of people.

The reverse is not necessarily true. You can create all the depth illusions you want, and for the most part, they'll look absolutely stunning.

So, I guess my point is that until directors get over their fetish for throwing things at their audience, games are probably better suited for 3D than most movies. Though I still stand by my previous post when I say that there will still be a lot of crap out there that's just "Oooh. 3D." and some crap out there so poorly done as to just give people headaches.

Xaviar on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed Avatar and Alice in 3D and I am eagerly anticipating Toy Story 3.

I am yet to play a game in 3D (I don't think the 3D sections in Sly Cooper 3 count) but if cinema is anything to go by I think it's a good thing, you really feel like you're there. I'd kill for a 3D version of Rez.

Moioink on
    edited March 2010
    Kinda getting off topic but does anyone know how I can watch the world cup in 3d?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kinda getting off topic but does anyone know how I can watch the world cup in 3d?

Get tickets?

DarkPrimus on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Buy good tickets?
    edit: beat'd

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Chances are some pubs will be, maybe even some cinemas. Sky have already started demoing premiership matches in 3D at some pubs.

Moioink on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if I can see this 3d technology. I can not see old school multi color 3d at all and polarized glasses 3d is hit or miss.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Most traditional 3D games bound one face of the viewing frustrum at the screen though. Nothing will be leaping out at the viewer in most games anyway. You'd just get depth, objects deeper into the screen.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Get tickets?

ESPN said it would be in 3d.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ESPN's 3D network is scheduled to launch in June. You'll have to talk to your television provider to find out when they'll have it. I'm not sure what sort of avenue ESPN plans to distribute 3D broadcasts in prior to that point, it requires specialized equipment on the cable box side of things.

article about it:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2010-01-05-espn-3d-network_N.htm

Dehumanized on
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

3D is the dumbest old fad.

I hope it goes away.

Yes.

The red and blue 3D of the 90s was a terrible fad and I believe it died for a reason. A good reason.

This new 3D fad is only different in technology. I hope it dies the same way.

I also don't believe watching Avatar in 3D enhanced my experience at all, and in fact may have detracted from it. It's a cool little gimmick when leaves and dust seem to fly out at you, but after two hours it gets a little goddamn old. Also, I don't want to wear goggles for 2-3 hours straight for a movie. No way in hell do I want to do that for 15-100 hours for a video game.

It's a gimmick. It's the kind of technologically impressive gimmick that loses its wow factor after only a handful of applications. Red and blue 3D tech was, I admit, a far inferior 3D tech to what we have now, but it is still a gimmick and I think (and hope) it dies at nearly the same speed.

It's only natural that a few video game publishers would choose to quickly cash in on the resurgence of the 3D fad. In fact, I'd go so far as to say this quick deluge of 3D-enabled games is proof that publishers know it is a flash-in-the-pan technology rather than one here to stay. Publishers may be money-hungry, but they also don't just jump into things so quickly unless they know it's a quick-buck making kind of thing with limited life.

I can't predict the future, but I really don't like this new craze on 3D and I really hope it goes away.

Drez on
  • kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been using nvidias latest iteration of thier 3d shutter glasses for about a year, on a dlp tv.
    You don't need a powerhouse pc to do it, nor do you need to run any given game at 120fps.
    The glasses have added a lot of immersion to my gaming experience, I really quite enjoy it. It's true that most games don't have anything coming out of the tv at you, so to speak, unless you really mess with the convergence. Batman looked amazing, especialy the wierd psychodelic sequences. I don't usualy use it to play shooters with though, as I don't like losing the resolution by going down to a 1080 tv from my normal monitor. Absolutely love it for single player games though.

kralizecc on
    In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't have the budget for fancy-shmancy stereoscopic 3D, so I tried Burnout Paradise, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Mirror's Edge with the regular old anaglyphic method. I gotta say, I'll be pretty excited when stereoscopic 3D (or better methods) becomes affordable. Having a sense of actual depth in some of those games is pretty cool.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited March 2010
    Also slightly off-topic. I had read developments on a "goggle-less" 3D TV that works I'm not quite sure how, but I know on one end it involved a camera affixed to the monitor doing head/eye tracking. I think the idea was that it could send a different picture to either side of an imaginary line, and it adjusted that line based on where your head was. Downside was it only worked for one user.

Last I heard, it was prototyped into a TV that allowed "Mom and Dad" to sit on one side of the room and watch TV while "Joey" sat on the other side of the room and played video-games.

I'll see if I can't find references.

Xaviar on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    3D in games would be fuckawesome if done well. Like the HUD on your "glasses" or "goggles" floating above your screen (think FEAR 2 or HL2 or GRAW 1/2), and also to give a better sense of depth like some have mentioned.

You couldn't do marathon gaming sessions though, your eyes keep trying to focus "into" the frame. That's one thing I found watching Avatar, my eyes got really tired trying to constantly focus on objects that should have had differing focal ranges, but didn't.

Robman on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my 2 cents:

I think with Nvidia's tech, every game which supports D3D is supported automagically. (if it works well, is another matter - pixel shader and post processing can still mess up the "focal range" of the objects). I checked out a nvidia test setup @ a trade show and with World of Warcraft - but honestly I wasn't that impressed. - maybe the reason was, that the screen was 21" and I have sometimes problems with regular stereoscopic seeing.

Secondly, faking deph where the is none can cause eye strain or induce headaces for certain people. Even more if you use this setup for an extented period.

Thirdly. This tech is not new, I remember test-playing Oni on a mac in 2002 - old Powermac with OS9 and a special graphic card which one customer ordered and which I put together - was working at a Apple Reseller at this time. (I think the computer and HW were actually from "around 2000"). Nvidias implementation is nice, though.

Dratatoo on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stilts wrote: »
    I don't have the budget for fancy-shmancy stereoscopic 3D, so I tried Burnout Paradise, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Mirror's Edge with the regular old anaglyphic method. I gotta say, I'll be pretty excited when stereoscopic 3D (or better methods) becomes affordable. Having a sense of actual depth in some of those games is pretty cool.
    Anaglyph is stereoscopic, and is affordable. But nonetheless, I get your point.

As for my opinion, I really want to see this go away. I must have seen a different version of Avatar than everyone else, because the 3D in that was really just an annoyance, and of course, taking off the glasses only made things worse since now it's a blurry movie!

But really, my friend's blog manages to make the point so much more... succinctly, than I can. Well, not really, but I'm lazy.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TV is the dumbest fad, I hope it goes away.
    Colour is the dumbest fad, I hope it goes away.
    Digital Cable is the dumbest fad, I hope it goes away.
    HD is the dumbest fad, I hope it goes away.

Clue in, folks, it's not going away. With every major manufacturer on board, plus all of Hollywood, you're in it now. Get used to it. I'm still amazed that people on a forum dubbed "Games and Technology" exhibit such reactionary tendencies. It's like the feeling is "I want progress... but not too much."

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Threepio wrote: »
    But did any of those require I purchase a device for every single person using the technology? Those all work without additional accessories for every single viewer.

Sure, 3D is the future sooner or later, but this iteration is not it.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Threepio wrote: »

Clue in, folks, it's not going away. With every major manufacturer on board, plus all of Hollywood, you're in it now. Get used to it. I'm still amazed that people on a forum dubbed "Games and Technology" exhibit such reactionary tendencies. It's like the feeling is "I want progress... but not too much."

I've checked my crystal ball and, nope, you're wrong. It's definitely going away, just like last time. Remember that? How it went away once? Which makes it totally unlike any of those other things you listed? That and the fact that you need a separate device? One that you have to wear on your face?

Drez on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Every time I've watched a 3D movie, 10 minutes in I've had a killer migraine and spent the rest of the movie trying to have a nap, because if I have my eyes open the blurry pictures hurt my eyes.

I may not be the most impartial observer, but 3D is shit and I hate it. Unless they improve the tech, and do something more interesting like that headtracking demo we've all seen for the wii, I don't really understand the point of it.

AnteCantelope on