As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Costumes thread

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    You just like seeing Peter's costume vacuum-sealed against his ass.

Hey now, House of M was giving the heroes the dream they wanted a reality, so Peter wanted even tighter than normal spandex with that troll Gwen Stacy. Which explains OMD a lot more, because then MJ was just his beard.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked the armored versions of the Flamebird and Nightwing when they were first introduced. The fact that these are Kryptonians, yet they don't bear any iconic resemblance to the Super-family was a very nice change of pace. No capes, no giant S, just some armor.

nightwing_and_flamebird.jpg

Thara_Ak-Var_as_Flamebird.jpg

Then they had to go and ruin it by giving them new cloth costumes that weren't nearly as cool.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Don't forget making Flamebird a statutory rapist.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why would Kryptonians need armor? Was it made from super-dense Kryptonian metal or something?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They were fighting against Science Police with red-sun guns. I assumed the armor was protective against that stuff.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, it was armored so they wouldn't be recognized as Kryptonians, that the suits gave them all their strength and stuff.

That idea lasted for about 5 issues.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I also like The Web's outfit, though I don't know how I feel about the W on his chest. It feels redundant with all the webbing already making it clear that he's the web.
    I actually quite like all the Red Circle redesigns. Well, except maybe the Jaguar one, but that's primarily because it's pretty much just pants.

But the Comet looks appropriately slick while retaining the goofy stars and moons, and integrating elements from the original Comet's costume, as well as the !mpact Comet's suit. Michael Oeming's Fox is really slick and simple, though I'm not sure the logo needs to be on the costume in three different places. Mister Justice's color scheme is nice, and the scale buckles are clever, though again, I'm not sure he needs his logo in so many places. And the Black Hood looks appropriately creepy and weird, though I miss the funny eyes that were on the !mpact Hood.

Munch on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Black is nice when the situation calls for it, but I prefer the original by far. It captures his theme without going the obvious route of dark and creepy, and it just kind of pops off the page. Whenever he's in a group shot, I feel draw to him most of all.

Reilly's outfit is nice as well, though I was never sold on the external web-shooters. They just seemed like a needless accessory after they've been invisible for so long.

Ben had the Stingers and Impact Webbing, which made the wrist shooters necessary. Regular webs came out the bottom like his normal shooters.

And I also like Spidey's digs. Though I've always felt that the red spider on the back was a bit awkward, and that House of M costume just makes it worse.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It doesn't even look like a spider in the HoM outfit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm still waiting for someone to post a picture of their own home-made costume on here.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know she's kind of a laughing stock right now, but she still has a wonderful look.

phylacaptainmarvel4.jpg

Phyla_quasar.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for someone to post a picture of their own home-made costume on here.
    I did this shitty Martian Manhunter redesign a long time ago. The concept was that J'onn would have kind of a Eastern thing going on, with big billowy pants, a loincloth in the back and front that had his symbol, and his belt buckle would look sort of like the center of a flower, or a mushroom cap, since that thing was established as being a Martian plant (The Zook) in the John Ostrander run of Martian Manhunter. But it never really came together, and my attempt at doing sort of a Doug Manhke-ian physique never quite worked as well as I'd have hoped. But I may revisit the idea sometime. One part of the design I do like is that J'onn's barefoot. Because really, if you were invulnerable, why would you ever wear shoes?

And I did this Scarecrow redesign more recently, but it's really not a radical departure from the usual Scarecrow look, aside from the exaggerated nose and eyes, and the mild redesign of the scythe. And I goofed up on not having more straw sticking out of his clothes, as I meant to have some protruding from his collar and under his hat.

Munch on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yessss weaver

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I always liked the Cassandra Cain Batgirl (though IIRC, Huntress was the first one to use the mouth-cover thing in the costume).

53347-batgirl_ii_cassandra_cain.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weaver wrote: »
    I know she's kind of a laughing stock right now, but she still has a wonderful look.

phylacaptainmarvel4.jpg

Phyla_quasar.jpg

The costume is the best thing about that character.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Who is that? I don't even recognize her. But yes, that is a pretty awesome costume.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phylla Vell

Weaver on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Black Lightning's modern costume is a favorite. I liked having him on the JLA because it was just a cool look.
    460061-black_lightning_matthew_clark01_large.jpg

Mothafuckin' August General in Iron
    14328_400x600.jpg

I am undecided on Most Excellent Superbat and the rest of the Super Young Team
    885301-birdy_large.jpg

Lux on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    August General in Iron looks awesome. But is that a costume? it is his skin... I'd say it was more of a look. And speaking of guys who have a great look...

2u6cm5y.jpg

Oh yes bitches. The big double-S

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Some people mock the surfboard, but I think it's a streamlined, efficient mode of travel that goes along with Surfer's own minimalist look.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    CaptainMarvel15.jpg

This kind of looks something an alien would wear for alien Mardi Gras. He looks like he is naked with green paint over his crotch.

I really like the Frankencastle redesign.

frankencastle420x637.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Some people mock the surfboard, but I think it's a streamlined, efficient mode of travel that goes along with Surfer's own minimalist look.

In the Silver Surfer requiem book (I think) Peter Parker asks him about the surfboard, and he says that it's a case of form follows function, he glides on the cosmic waves of space so that's why he appears to have a surfboard. I agree that it goes well with the look in general and when drawn by a good artist the Silver Surfer can look truly great.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not quite a costume redesign, but ...

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought The Blue Marvel's costume was cool:

adamblmrvl001.jpg

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    GriffuGriffu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wizard gave this costume an off-the-charts lameness rating with a meter that went right off the page.

348876-107313-scarlet-spider_super.jpg

Screw you, Wizard.
    Really a lot of cosmic costumes that are nice.

God, Wraith was such a letdown...

Griffu on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of Peter's alternate costumes..

Ricochet_001.jpg

Always dug this costume, even if the huge R makes it look a bit stupid.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I did this shitty Martian Manhunter redesign a long time ago. The concept was that J'onn would have kind of a Eastern thing going on, with big billowy pants, a loincloth in the back and front that had his symbol, and his belt buckle would look sort of like the center of a flower, or a mushroom cap, since that thing was established as being a Martian plant (The Zook) in the John Ostrander run of Martian Manhunter. But it never really came together, and my attempt at doing sort of a Doug Manhke-ian physique never quite worked as well as I'd have hoped. But I may revisit the idea sometime. One part of the design I do like is that J'onn's barefoot. Because really, if you were invulnerable, why would you ever wear shoes.

That redesign will look really great as he's hunting for the Dragonballs.

PiccoloDragsVegeta.jpg

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Speaking of Peter's alternate costumes..

Ricochet_001.jpg

Always dug this costume, even if the huge R makes it look a bit stupid.

Pete's original Ricochet costume just had a big rhinestone R on the back of the leather jacket. MJ bought it for him at a thrift shop at the start of Identity Crisis and told him to come up with a name that begins with R. The fun part was when Pete started playing Ricochet as a badguy.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That redesign will look really great as he's hunting for the Dragonballs.
    He came really close to having a giant Akuma-style bead necklace before I realized I was cramming way too many anime design cliches into him.

Also, even though it totally made him look like a big disco ball, I really loved the Spider-Armor, and want it to come back, if only for a little while. I think what I enjoyed about it was that it was just dense webbing. That was also shiny for some reason. But then, I've stated before that I'm a big fan of Spider-Man doing neat shit with his webbing.
    rw8mtl.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I liked when he invented web-cannons so he could handle the Sinister Six.

20-1.jpgg

As I recall, Dr. Octopus breaches the container, causing webbing to explode out and create a giant web which then traps Peter. It was like that riddle about God and the boulder.

"Can Spider-Man make a web so big that even he can't escape from it?"

Then Spider-Man gets his ass kicked and has to get patched up by a mad scientist, which is why he looks like this.

21-1.jpg

Spider-Man with a metal arm and pouches.

Also, I'm not sure what medical purpose that bandana is supposed to serve. I guess they had some leftover bandages and decided to make him look like Ryu.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's like a Cable annual convention!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can it be time for Batman Beyond? Way schway. Rocket boots, cloaking device, wrist launched Batarangs. The list goes on. Also, Batman Beyond will also have a new comic book miniseries in June. So excited.

4a29a048cd9c6bf7bef4c4f.jpg

kfrooster on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Batman Beyond costume is great. I wish there were more Batman costumes; it would've been neat if Quitely redesigned the character at the start of Batman and Robin.

Edit: On that note, I really like the "Justice" armored Batman, in large part because of how ridiculously over the top he is:

2vsgglt.jpg

And click for huge

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I thought all those armored costumes looked like they were designed for an action figure series. But I suppose that's appropriate, since the series sort of felt like a mature take on The Super Friends cartoon, mostly because the villains' alliance felt like the Legion of Doom.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exactly!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's no reason why Batman shouldn't be wearing different Bat-armors, especially when he hangs out with the JLA. And the one issue where he wears the Saint Dumas armor, the suit of sorrwos:

3116808025_52350e095e_o.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Protector's costume is awful. Could be improved by getting rid of the mask though.

250px-Dark_Avengers_Annual_Vol_1_1_page_31_Noh-Varr_%28Earth-200080%29.jpg

I've been thinking about doing a redesign incorporating more of Captain Marvel's look.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Go for it. It has to be said though other artists other than Bachalo *cough*over-rated*cough* have managed to make that suit look pretty OK.

Solar on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved Earth X's redesign of Captain America and Spider-Girl. I also like the amalgamization of Deadpool and Daredevil.

Then again, I loved most of the redesigns in the Earth X series.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Go for it. It has to be said though other artists other than Bachalo *cough*over-rated*cough* have managed to make that suit look pretty OK.

Where else has he shown up? I haven't seen him in anything since that annual.

Also, I like Bachalo. :P

DMAC on