As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Druids: CLOSED SLIGHTLY EARLY

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
The first part of this OP will be class updates. The middle is for people new to the class. The last part is for people that have returned to the class or recently hit 85.
Patch 4.0.6

Barkskin is no longer dispellable. Entangling Roots now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. Healing Touch is now trained at level 78, up from level 3. Hibernate now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. Lacerate damage has been reduced by approximately 20%. Mangle (Bear Form) weapon damage (at level 80+) has been reduced to 235%, down from 300%. Mangle (Cat Form) weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 460%, up from 360%. Maul damage has been reduced by approximately 20%. Moonfire mana cost has been reduced from 18% to 9%. Mount Up: This guild perk now applies to Flight Form and Swift Flight Form as well. Nature's Grasp now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. Nourish is now trained at level 8, down from level 78. Omen of Clarity can no longer trigger from helpful spells (aka heals), unless the Restoration talent Malfurion's Gift is chosen. Prowl is no longer broken by enemies using Demoralizing Shout or Demoralizing Roar. Rake damage has been reduced by 10%. Rejuvenation is now trained at level 3, down from level 8. In addition, its mana cost is now 20% of base mana. Rip damage has been reduced by 10%. Shapeshifts: Entering or leaving a shapeshift no longer cancels root effects. It continues to cancel movement slowing effects. Shred weapon damage percent (at level 80+) has been increased to 450%, up from 350%. Skull Bash's lockout time has been reduced to 4 seconds, down from 5. Soothe is now instant cast, down from 1.5 seconds. Worgen and troll druids now have new art for Swift Flight Form. Talent Specializations Balance Fungal growth duration has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 10. In addition, it should now be much more responsive when detonating Wild Mushrooms. Moonkin Form now grants 15% damage reduction instead of increased armor. In addition, shapeshifting in or out of this form now breaks roots. Note this is not stated in the tooltip. The Shooting Stars buff duration has been increased to 12 seconds, up from 8 seconds. Starfall will no longer strike targets that are not in combat and will now drop stars at a slightly faster rate. Sunfire mana cost has been reduced from 18% to 9%. Total Eclipse (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 33%. Typhoon mana cost has been reduced by 50%. Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 30%. Feral Berserk (instant Mangle proc) now has a new Spell Alert identifier. In addition, Berserk no longer breaks Fear or makes the druid immune to Fear. Blood in the Water: Timing on this effect has been improved so that Ferocious Bite will immediately refresh Rip, rather than be slightly delayed (which gave a chance for the Rip to expire despite being refreshed). Infected Wounds now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds. Pulverize weapon damage percent has been reduced to 80%, down from 100%. Restoration Disentanglement (new specialization): Causes shapeshifting to remove roots in addition to snares. Empowered Touch now also affects Regrowth. In addition, after Tree of Life is no longer active, this talent will only refresh the most recently cast or refreshed Lifebloom, and will not refresh other copies of Lifebloom. Natural Shapeshifter has been reduced to a 3/6-second increase to Tree of Life's duration, down from 5/10. Nature's Bounty no longer affects Swiftmend, but now has a new effect. When the druid has Rejuvenation on 3 or more targets, the cast time of Nourish is reduced by 10/20/30%. Symbiosis (Mastery) benefit from mastery increased by approximately 16%. Tree of Life duration has been reduced to 25 seconds, down from 30. Wild Growth healing has been increased by 30%, and the cooldown has been reduced to 8 seconds, down from 10. Glyphs Glyph of Entangling Roots redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Entangling Roots by 0.2 seconds, rather than making it instant cast. Glyph of Regrowth now causes the heal-over-time effect to refresh itself on targets at or below 50% health, up from 25%. Glyph of Wrath now increases damage done by Wrath by 10% and no longer requires Insect Swarm on the target.

druids.png
Ui-charactercreate-classes_druid.png

This is the druid thread, where we discuss the aforementioned class.

What is a druid?
A druid is a hybrid class, meaning that they can spec for several roles. Druids are unique in that they can spec for every role in the game: tank, healer, melee and ranged dps.

The druid's major mechanic is shapeshifting, which allows them to turn into a variety of creatures. By doing so, the druid gains the power to perform a specific role, but at the loss of his or her original spells. The roles are:

Bear Form: Tank
Cat Form: Melee DPS
Moonkin Form (spec only): Ranged DPS
Tree of Life (spec only): Temporary Healing Buff

Druids also have a few forms available that allow to to easily traverse various terrains. They are:

Travel Form: Boosted Land Speed
Aquatic Form: Boosted Water Speed and Water Breathing
(Swift) Flight Form: Enables Flight

Races

Alliance

Night Elves
nightelves.png
They are the original druids, at least in modern times. Thus, they are the most common race of druid, and tend to hold the most stations of leadership within druidic organizations.
Ability_ambush.png The druid becomes stealthed until they move or are attacked. Eliminates all thread until canceled. Two-minute cooldown.
Ability_racial_ultravision.png Increases the level of your prowl's stealth effect.
Ability_racial_shadowmeld.png Reduces chance to be hit by physical attacks by 2%.
Spell_nature_wispsplode.png Increases run speed while dead by 75%
Spell_nature_spiritarmor.png Resistance to nature spells increased by 1 per level.
Bear Form
Cat Form
Moonkin Form
Swift Flight Form

The Worgen
theworgen.png
Originally humans of Gilneas suffering from a curse, the worgen had their own form of druidism prior to the worgen incursion. It was the night elves, however, that allowed the Gilneans to further their druidic education.
Ability_racial_darkflight.png Increases the druid's movement speed by 40% for 10 seconds.
Ability_racial_viciousness.png Increases critical strike chance by 1%.
Ability_racial_aberration.png Increases nature and shadow resistance.
Ability_racial_flayer.png Increases skinning by 15, decreases skinning time by one second and skinning does not require a knife.
Ability_racial_twoforms.png Allows you to swap between human and worgen form (cosmetic racial).
Ability_mount_blackdirewolf.png Increases movement speed based on riding skill level (cosmetic racial).
Cat Form
Bear Form
Moonkin Form
Worgen Swift Flight Form
Worgen Tree of Life
Worgen Color Chart Part 1
Worgen Color Chart Part 2

Horde

The Tauren
tauren.png
Tauren claim that they were the original druids many generations ago, but the art of druidism had been lost. While it is unknown if these claims are true, what is known is that the tauren of today learned the craft from the night elves as the result of a friendship between Hamuul Runetotem and Malfurion Stormrage.
Ability_warstomp.png Stuns all nearby enemies for two seconds.
Spell_nature_unyeildingstamina.png Increases base health by 5%.
Inv_misc_flower_01.png Increases herbalism by 15 and decreases herb gathering time by one second.
Spell_nature_spiritarmor.png Resistance to nature spells increased by 1 per level.
Bear Form
Cat Form
Moonkin Form
Swift Flight Form

Trolls
trolls.png
During the battle for Echo Isles, the Darkspear tribe encountered an unlikely ally in the druid Zen'tabra. A vision of the Emerald Dream had showed her how to connect to the spirits in a way not known to trolls. After her assistance in reclaiming the Isles, many former loa priests and witch doctors set upon the path of the druid.
Racial_troll_berserk.png Increases casting and attack speed by 20% for 10 seconds.
Spell_nature_regenerate.png Increases health regeneration by 10% outside of combat. Also allows the druid to maintain 10% of normal health regeneration in combat. And there's nothing you can do about it.
Inv_misc_pelt_bear_ruin_02.png Increases damage done to beasts by 5%.
Inv_throwingaxe_03.pngInv_weapon_bow_12.png Increases chance to crit with bows and throwing weapons by 1% (druid cannot use these weapons).
Inv_misc_idol_02.png Decreases the duration of movement impairing effects by 15%.
Bear Form
Cat Form
Moonkin Form
Swift Flight Form
Tree of Life
Female Troll Chart for Form Colors
Male Troll Chart for Form Colors

FAQ

How does Eclipse work?

Eclipse is actually pretty straightforward. You have three spells that generate either Lunar or Solar Power.

Wrath: Lunar
Starfire: Solar
Starsurge: Whichever will bring you closer to an eclipse.

Generally, once you have Solar or Lunar power, you can only gain power towards that Eclipse. So Wrathing while you have, say, 55 Solar Power should not reduce your solar power. Once you hit 100 of either power, your spells of the opposite element are boosted. Spamming Starfire will eventually lead to a nature damage boost whereas Wrath will lead to a arcane damage boost. This boost affects ALL spells of that element, not just Wrath, Starfire and Starsurge. Also, Starsurge is both Arcane and Nature damage, so it gets a buff from both eclipses!

Once in an eclipse, casting the buffed spells that generate Solar/Lunar Power will slowly bring you back to the opposite side of the bar. So, once I hit a lunar eclipse, casting Starfire will slowly move my bar towards a solar eclipse. Other spells like, Moonfire, Insect Swarm, Hurricane, etc. will benefit from the eclipse but WILL NOT move your eclipse bar in any way! When the bar hits or passes the middle, you will lose the eclipse and the process will start again when you get enough power for the next eclipse.

While you can stay in an eclipse and say, spam moonfire, you want to go back and forth between eclipses because our mana regeneration relies on hitting eclipses regularly. Balance has a fairly rotation-based style of play, and deviating from that rotation can be lead to a sad oomkin if you are too careless.

Why am using another race's Swift Flight Form?

This is (finally) fixed in 4.0.6. Don't ask me why it took so long.

What race should I be?

The differences are minor enough to pick what you want to look like. But if you insist...

PvE: If you want to tank, then Tauren or Night Elves are the top picks. For everything else, it's Troll or Worgen.
PVP: This is where things get a bit more interesting. Trolls are decent if you're going Moonkin for burst damage, but Tauren's warstomp is excellent and allows for easy Cyclones (the extra HP doesn't hurt either). Voodoo Shuffle is fairly useless, but there are times when you don't want to waste shifting out of a snare. For Horde, the likely choice is Tauren.

For Alliance, the Night Elf Shadowmeld is AMAZING to drop target. This will rid you of pets and drop you as any player's target, so even if they want to, they cannot send the pet out again. From there you can easily restealth for openers. The Worgen, however, are getting a major buff to Darkflight. It'll stack with ALL speed buffs except Dash. This means it will stack with Feline Swiftness or (for non-ferals) Stampeding Roar, effectively giving druids another Dash. I'd say this is a toss-up, but Worgen will most likely be useful in more situations whereas Night Elves are best when they are the primary target in arena or BGs.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are no words.

815165 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    *slow clap*

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last episode spoiler
    He's captured, turned into a Raven Lord called Anzu and forced to ferry druids and their friends around for the rest of time.

Opty on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anzu is the bestest mount.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't quote from old threads, so RE: Moonkin dps

Problem with Moonkin is the dependence on the Lunar/Solar eclipse cycle. If they have to move during a Starfire-spam period this severely cuts into their dps. Second problem is the poor variance of stats, because they get lots of talented hit (they always have a Moonkin present, after all), the haste cap for Wrath is very low and I think they reach the crit cap for certain spells.

But 3.3.3 has some Moonkin love, especially by buffing Starfall.

Grobian on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The previous thread being locked at 93 pages is quite clearly proof of Blizzard's bias against druids.

Speaking of which, I was threat capped in yet another VoA last night, begging for HoSs and getting nothing.

forty on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That happens to me too Forty. I don't get why people can't be bothered to use their threat drop abilities. My guild has such an issue when I ask for one just to be safe.

edit: It's even more difficult because by the time you realize you are catching up to the tank, rip has 10 seconds and rake still has 6. So even if you stop attacking you are still generating a shit load of aggro.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't understand why they are so insistent on Cower being a fucking waste of an ability.

forty on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How is boomkin for grinding / daily questing? Can you AoE grind close to as well as feral?

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man it's been forever since I was balance-spec seriously (back when Hurricane was a talent), but even in my half Resto/half PvP gear I can manage some decent DPS. Though I have a question about trash, is Hurricane the best way to go with 2-3 man pulls? If it's 4+ I go crazy with Starfall/Hurricane and single-target I got my Starfire/Moonfire/Wrath combo down. However for those certain pulls it just seems inefficient and quite a mana drain.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    Ia Ia Fhtagn!Ia Ia Fhtagn! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »
    How is boomkin for grinding / daily questing? Can you AoE grind close to as well as feral?

Popping Barkskin, Starfire and tossing up Hurricane can make things go dead very quickly.

but its probably slower than feral, unless you've got some raid gear.

Ia Ia Fhtagn! on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral is awesome for grinding, if you are into that, just bind swipe to every key on your keyboard.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    You don't even need barkskin. Spec into Frenzy and hurricane once it procs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is a topic, alright.

Good job Rorus.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So any advise on Balance spec's, glyphs, gear, rotation. My main spec is resto, and I've used cat/bear for grinding, but now that i'll be dropping skinning the only time i'll probably use it is dailys and maybe if I can sort it out enough could be a usefull offspec.

I'm used to ranged dps, and terribad at melee dps in a group so this seems like the logical choice.

From what i've read Hit Cap > Spell Power > Crit to 35% > Haste. How is the T9 I already have the chest as it's quite good for Resto as well.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Glyphs are Moonfire, Insect Swarm (unless for some reason your guild wants you to keep the unique -hit debuff), and then the third is kind of up to you.

forty on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So whats a good resto spec? I'm kinda lost on what to spend my points on.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Depends on what gear you have, and what style of play you'll be following.

For 5 mans in badge-level 4t9, putting enough in balance for nature's grace is enough. Empowered Touch, Regrowth and Living Seed in resto, as well as all the mandatory talents.

For 10 man raids, emphasize a little more on haste, but keep an eye on crit if you're holding onto 4t9.

For t10 and up, respec to 3/3 Celestial Focus and stack haste till 735. This, paired with Gift of the Earthmother and full raid buffs drops your GCD on your hots down to 1.0 seconds. Then spam Rejuv across the raid with a Wild Growth every 6 seconds to epeen the healing meter.

For dungeons in the 70-80 range, don't bother with the balance stuff. Spec straight up the tree to Wild Growth and fill in with the extra stuff off to the side as you go. Lean away from the lifebloom crutch, but when you do use it stack to 3 as fast as possible, and let it bloom off for mana return.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok thanks. My druid is in the 40's right now as a bear but I'm thinking about saving up for dual-spec and trying out resto at 50.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man, why wouldn't you take Glyph of Starfire for raiding?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To me, Balance AoEing is way better than feral AoEing mainly because you being ranged means you can gather up mobs to AoE quicker. Couple that with Starfall and you can gather 10 mobs right quick.

Opty on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    To me, Balance AoEing is way better than feral AoEing mainly because you being ranged means you can gather up mobs to AoE quicker. Couple that with Starfall and you can gather 10 mobs right quick.
    For general questing and such, I just combine body pulls with feral faerie fire and I can get 10 mobs fairly quickly too. I could probably stay caster and moonfire if I wanted to.

I piss off a lot of people farming eternal fires by dropping out of the sky in cat form and FFFing everything.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Without Berserk or Tiger's Fury, swipe is pretty pain to wait on. A moonkin should always have AoE available if enough mobs are hitting you. Even if Frenzy isn't, you only lose a second or two off hurricane thanks to celestial focus.

Feral is still awesome if only because you can go bear and slowly swipe-tank things down.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just have good gear and feral basically 2 shots things with mangle. My cat swipes (with savage roar up) are also breaking 10k on crits.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tyberius wrote: »
    Man it's been forever since I was balance-spec seriously (back when Hurricane was a talent), but even in my half Resto/half PvP gear I can manage some decent DPS. Though I have a question about trash, is Hurricane the best way to go with 2-3 man pulls? If it's 4+ I go crazy with Starfall/Hurricane and single-target I got my Starfire/Moonfire/Wrath combo down. However for those certain pulls it just seems inefficient and quite a mana drain.
    For the smaller 2-3 elite packs you describe, I like to DoT everything up (insect swarm at least) before changing the weather. I find my mana does alright with OoC procs for hurricane spam and the faster cooldown on innervate.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last night I discovered, out of pure boredom, while kiting on Rotface that if a little ooze is kept in root for an entire duration that it will die when the roots fade.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If it's kept in the roots for the entire duration of the roots? It just disappears? Hmm, easy way to get that achievement I guess although it's probably considered an exploit.

shadowane on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Amazing OP. Just amazing.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That root thing seems odd. Why would it matter if it went the full duration vs. breaking a few seconds early? Is there just some general expiration timer of 30 seconds or so that normally isn't encountered and it just worked out when the root ended? I mean I can't recall ever seeing a little ooze up for more than 30 seconds or so since by that point they've either merged with another little or big ooze or the raid has wiped as all hell breaks loose.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe that's how the achievement is supposed to work. Instead of combining them, you just keep them apart until they despawn and roots makes that easier.

shadowane on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not happy with my moonkins damage output currently, but I'm not sure what to expect with gear he's at. Can pull about 5k max right now on 25m fights (only pug them) with little movement, but most fights in icc are not like that and I don't want to be a burden on our 10m group. Working on getting a new weapon but no joy so far.

Any suggestions? Usually go wrath until lunar, starfire until solar, refresh dots when they expire and treants/starfall on every cooldown.

danx on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Your weapons are a bit dated. You are missing about 400 spellpower alone right there.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You have quite a few 219 pieces that could be replaced.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I would say your DPS is inline with your gear.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    Yeah, I would say your DPS is inline with your gear.

Thanks for confirming.

I'm running the icc 5 mans and toc10/25 for upgrades for the 219 stuff but haven't had any luck at all. Will keep at it. Got a 245 ring kicking about but it'd put me under hit cap, that's why the 219 ring is there but I might swap it out and go with hit food until I can pick up the hit else where.

danx on
  • Options
    BiffoniacusBiffoniacus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're at 286 hit rating, with Balance of Power and Improved Faerie Fire the hit cap is 263, with Heroic Presence its 237.

Biffoniacus on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How badly are you gimping yourself if you set up your t9 pieces to work for both tanking and kitty dps? Using shifting dreadstones instead of stam gems, etc etc.

I mean, obviously it's probably a bad idea for progression content, but should be ok for lower tier stuff and things like Ony/VoA?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For that stuff it's probably not a big deal. The big issue you run into is really enchants and meta. But for Ony and VoA you can probably just use a dps leg enchant and meta and you'd be fine.

For comparison, I don't have 100% pure tank stuff yet, but buffed my health went from 36k to 50k (I think) when I switched from dps to tank gear.

shadowane on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea it doesn't seem very feasible in the long term. A piece or three maybe, depending on socket bonuses and the choice of enchants, but pretty much gonna have two sets of gear, mostly.

Doesn't seem to be any agility rings with armor on them though, bleah.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nope any ring with armor has strength. It gives you AP and more stam at least. My jewelry and cloak is strength stuff.

shadowane on
This discussion has been closed.