As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Miniatures for Fun and Profit

WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
Miniature Painting

This thread is here to house your work on miniatures, seek painting tips and advice, hopefully include some tutorials and in general talk about figure painting.

This thread is mod approved, and is open to any miniatures. The Critical Failures board has a thread on Warhammer (and 40k) but they move very quickly and aren't very focused. While I paint gaming miniatures and mostly from Games Workshop, this thread isn't limited to those.

If you have suggestions or additions to the OP I'll be glad to add them.

Equipment

When I begun I happily bought GW paints, brushes and anything else they had available. Since then their selection has grown, but many of the products are available cheaper elsewhere. Their brushes aren't natural hair (not that cheap either) and their finger drills have nothing extra compared to a hardware store drill except the logo. They make okay paint which is widely available, but there are others too, like Vallejo, which at least here in Finland offers a superior quality for less in acrylic paints. I do like the GW washes and inks though.

Vallejo, but no online shop.
Games Workshop (with regional online shops available)

Miniatures

GW isn't the only miniature maker on the planet, but this took me a long while to figure out. Actually, some fantasy games contain a huge number of miniatures well suited for D&D (Descent, from Fantasy Flight Games comes to mind.) They aren't always as detailed, and the prices vary. Oh, GW miniatures are sold online for less than full retail price, which is nice.

Dark Sphere, which beats local game shop prices (at least for me)
Reaper Miniatures

General links:
CoolMiniOrNot Article section - a large collection of stuff
Space Marine paint tool (by Bolter and Chainsaw)

Photography links:
A homemade light box (with a little lighting advice)
Photos with posterboard, a tripod and photoshop
GIMP, free photo editing
Using GIMP

megamansig.jpg
Wheezer on

• WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At the moment I'm doing a gaming army of Tyranids for Warhammer 40k, a 500pts list which I'll later expand to 750. I started painting and playing a long time ago, but I've had long breaks and I've just recently realized I do want a fully painted set of gaming minis.

I would appreciate comments, critique and advice. I'll spoiler the pictures since they're pretty big. That, and obviously my camera settings and Photoshop work require some practice. These are my most recent work.

Tyranid Warrior
    Warrior2232010.jpg

A second Warrior with a bigger gun
    VenomCannonWarrior2232010.jpg

Genestealers, a pair of
    Genestealers2232010.jpg

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I support these types of threads; we should have more of them.

By 'these types' I mean those that encourage community involvement and discussion rather than just one guy endlessly ejaculating his work into a thread and everyone else handing out asspats.

Metalbourne on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll take some pics of my guardsmen, of which I have about 2000pts of. Maybe a dozen of them are painted -_-
    Maybe this thread will get me off my ass and start the paint-train again.

I'm diggin the 'nids, but photos are always such a shitty way to judge a paintjob. Some angles it looks like you could use some more contrast with shadows, but others it looks fine. Not sold on the colour scheme, but I find most 'nids to be too neon. I'm partial to darker, more subdued tones.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Metal's pissy because he's shooting blanks.

tynic on
    edited March 2010
    tynic wrote: »
    Metal's pissy because he's shooting blanks.

well since you're not worried about getting pregnant, how bout we uhhh :winky:
    get a hamburger

Metalbourne on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, my metaphors are confused. Does the hamburger represent fanart?

tynic on
    edited March 2010
    I will paint a miniature to look like you, how's that?

also did you ever do any more on that barn painting? Tell me about it in the chat thread so we don't get in trouble.

Metalbourne on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    awesome idea for a thread.

Are minatures only Warhammer/D&D type ones, or can we post model kit paints? e.g. Gundam Wing and Initial D model kits?

winter_combat_knight on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to paint WH40K stuff back in the day. I have a buddy who still does. Has had his work featured in White Dwarf and he does his own sculpts and is now starting his own company. Man, it's weird how most of my friends and I ended up pursuing creative careers.

I wonder if I can find some of my terrible terrible old miniatures to post on here.

rts on
    edited March 2010
    Not really. It only stands to reason that people would find friends with similar personalities and interests.

Metalbourne on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not really. It only stands to reason that people would find friends with similar personalities and interests.

In kindergarten?

rts on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    yes yes this thread is what I want

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've never liked tyranid warriors
    all i can think is "here is an alien holdin' out his big alien dick"

RubberAC on
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the comments so far. Hopefully tomorrow or latest the day after I'll have an improved Tyranid to post.

I've been trying to improve my metallic painting, and looking through the internet I found a nice technique. What I did was, after painting a base mix of metallic paint and black (about 3:1) I gave the mini a series of washes and glaces instead of drybrushing or just straight up highlighting the metal. It looks nice, the dark metal tone gets much more interesting after a blue and a green glace. You can then add another dark wash to the edges and recesses and finally do a little highlighting.

I'll try and post pictures of my marines I'm doing like that too.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Okay, here is what I was talking about in my post above. The metallic effect looks a little bit better in sunlight when you hold the mini in your hand, but not that much. The genestealers I tried to improve a little by giving the shell color a little warmth and leaving the shadows on the mini darker.

Photography should have improved a little too, with different camera settings.

Space Marine tacticals
    TacMarines2432010.jpg

More Genestealers
    Genestealers2432010.jpg

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I ought to get back into this

I must say, though, I'm not a fan of a minifig if it's basically just drybrushed. I am obsessed with painting the eyes as well as I can. Case in point:

guy003.jpg

while I haven't finished that one, this fig is probably my best ever:

cassius.jpg

a great, though embarrassingly easy technique for tyranids and other flesh/bone creatures is 'dipping.' Basically, you paint a figure in lighter-than-normal colors, dip it in wood stain finish, flick the figure so the extra finish comes off, then leave to dry. An example:

dior.jpg

MrDelish on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dig the way it looks on Bloodletters, because it makes them look like they're covered in blood. It's fitting.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2010
    Dag Dellish, that's some quality eyes. I'm glad my guardsmen are all wearing pigiron gasmasks, because I dont have that kind of patience.

I'm digging the metalic marines too. Aside from grey knights, I really don't see many.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Keeping up with painting, my 500pts Tyranid list is completed. It came down to 11 genestealers plus the big units.
    My two most recent pieces, a Hive Tyrant and a Zoanthrope:

Tyrant
    HiveTyrant642010-1.jpg

'Thrope
    Zoanthrope642010.jpg

I kept painting these in the same theme of course, but I gave the Tyrant all the extra attention the little units didn't get. It's more detailed and I've been more careful with painting it in general.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was expecting some very very small paintings in this thread.

Jake! on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not a crit on you, but the design for those tyranid's is very referential...I mean they look like the bastard child of an Alien and a Hydralisk. Maybe a hydralisk got face raped or something, i don't know!

DeeLock on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't see the pictures at work, but Blizzard basically ripped off 40k for their SC races.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, GW has been working on those designs. Actually, this was a huge improvement over the 3rd edition Tyranids, which just looked kinda goofy. The goofiness is still there in the 4th edition Tyrant Guard for example, but the Aliens-look in general was a huge improvement. It was also the first time the army looked mostly coherent.

They recently came out with the 5th edition. GW did away with the Aliens head plates and gave everything a hunched more massive look with smokestacks coming out the backs. The incrementally improved new models are okay I guess, but the completely new models look really nice. I wish I had some of those to paint, but it's a little hard to justify the cost when I have older stuff to paint too. They ask about 45e for the big models here.

Anyway, it's a fun hobby when I know I'm improving. For example, just working with the paints and understanding how different layer thickness affects the outlook is nice.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Not a crit on you, but the design for those tyranid's is very referential...I mean they look like the bastard child of an Alien and a Hydralisk. Maybe a hydralisk got face raped or something, i don't know!

*obligatory nerd facepalm*

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GEEZE!

I just calls it as i sees it :P

Sorry to offend you McGibs, perhaps you can be my mentor of all things nerdular.

DeeLock on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love this comic.

215543608_oPsC3-L-2.jpg

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Crap, I spent 10 min looking for that exact comic to post.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg