As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Downtown Boston food solutions?

124»

• Options
    Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My favorite Steak House in Boston is Grill 23 on Berkley Street. Really nice place. Radius has really good burgers, their location is 8 high street. Those are two of my favorites not mentioned so far. There is also a really nice bar across the street from the Hynes that has great specials. Pour House is their name I think. REally good CHEAP food.

Then there is always the Cheesecake factory in the Prudential Center. California Pizza is close as well.
    hope this helps

Tom Shea

Tom Shea on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Don't waste your time, it's an abomination to food.

Silence you. White Castle is amazing. It brought me TV stardom, love, happiness, marriage, and one day babies of my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lhl9uKP5AM

This is an incredibly important question.

Is there a White Castle anywhere around the convention center? I've always wanted to try that place.

Why not solicit some of us coming from the White Castle magical lands to bring you some? They might be cold but they are still good.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    o55goteno55goten Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haven’t seen this covered yet but do any of you Bostonians have some recommendations for late night eats after the concerts get out?

o55goten on
    When life gives you lemons
    Chuck'em at dam Cars
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Umm... BHOP(Boston House of Pizza) is about a block down from the Pru and its open pretty late... but usually its described as more of a "drunk food", not the best tasting, but when youre hungry, youre hungry...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of the pizza places and things like that are open until 2am, there are not a lot open later than that. The only place I can think of it Bova's in the North End. I'm sure there's more though.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good falafel can be found in central square at moody's falafel palace til 3am I believe. Its open pretty late. Also Hi-fi in central is another spot. I highly recommend moody's, but it is a trek out of Boston, though in the Boston-ish area. If you have a car its worth it.

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good falafel can be found in central square at moody's falafel palace til 3am I believe. Its open pretty late. Also Hi-fi in central is another spot. I highly recommend moody's, but it is a trek out of Boston, though in the Boston-ish area. If you have a car its worth it.

boooo central. I only go there to hit up Pandemonium.

Good Falafel can also be found at Falafel King, downtown crossing (which is only a 10min or so trip from Hynes)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    o55goten wrote: »
    Haven’t seen this covered yet but do any of you Bostonians have some recommendations for late night eats after the concerts get out?

Not a ton of options past 2am. Some bad pizza joints ... Little Steves (aka home of food poisoning), etc.

Chinatown
    Ginza (japanese) open til 3:30

Various chinese restaurants in Chinatown (Chau Chow City is open til 4, quite a few others are open til 3 or so)

South Street Diner is open til 5am, good place to meet a pimp and his hoes, crackheads, or just drunk young folks.

There's a IHOP in Brighton that's open all night too, but you'd need to drive.

Also worth checking with your hotel to see how late they provide room service.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've never had falafel, I want tot ry it though.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What about Redneck's? I remember stumbling there really late when I would visit a friend who went to school at BU. I think they are open till 3.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    What about Redneck's? I remember stumbling there really late when I would visit a friend who went to school at BU. I think they are open till 3.

It's a hike from Hynes and the food is downright horrible ...

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I love Central. Mainly because I'm around that area a lot and there is that one art store and.. uh.. other store that I frequent. *cough* :winky:

And yeah, Rednecks isn't the best of foods. Its a "I went to a bar around here and now I need to stuff my face and am too drunk to care what it is" kind of place.

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love Central. Mainly because I'm around that area a lot and there is that one art store and.. uh.. other store that I frequent. *cough* :winky:

And yeah, Rednecks isn't the best of foods. Its a "I went to a bar around here and now I need to stuff my face and am too drunk to care what it is" kind of place.

1) What other store?

2) Well yeah, of course! I think the only time we ever went there was after BU parties. The place was always packed with drunkards after the bars had closed.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hubba Hubba.

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    IIIVAliveIIIVAlive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Food at PAX Prime tended to be both expensive and greasy. Are there any decent, inexpensive restaurants/eateries/bars near the Hynes convention center?

IIIVAlive on
  • Options
    ninja_bladeninja_blade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ererywhere... the mall's food court is next door to the hynes and across the street from the hynes are bars and places to eat up and down the street- trust me you'll find whatever you need

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, maybe a Boston native can help me. My friend told me about a hot dog stand in Harvard Square that's hidden away but a must try place. He couldn't remember the name, or where it was exactly. Just that it was in Harvard square and tiny.

Anyone know what he was talking about?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I skimmed these forums and found a place called Pour House for breakfast (sounds like a pub, but noted)... I mentioned this in the main FAQ but failed to get a response so I'll try here:

Are there any places with especially good eggs benedict in Boston (preferably near the site)? Benedicts are my favorite breakfast and I've eaten them in almost every city I've been in (which is saying a lot) and would love to find a place renowned for them.

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My old roomier worked at Devlin's and swore by their Eggs Benedict. Devlin's sadly, is out in Brighton Center.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How far is that?

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Roughly 30-45 on the T plus a 1/2 mile walk. Or 15-20 mins on the T and 15 mins on the 57 bus.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a car so maybe doable... I'm not sure precisely where I'm staying yet, but thanks for the tip!

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you have a car it'll be really easy, there's on street parking and a 2 hour parking lot (free) out there. If you won't mind driving I'll ask around to see if anyone knows a really good place.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My travelling companions are also well versed in my infatuation with benedicts, so even though I haven't told them yet... they're probably already aware that we'll be driving around for sweet breakfast at least once or twice this weekend. Thanks for checking this out!

50 More Trash on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elephant Walk on Beacon St outside of Kenmore Sq has a great brunch. 3 courses and 2 drinks (Coffee and Mimosa) for $22. My gf and I go there all the time.

Charlie's Saloon on Newbury right by the convention center has a nice brunch and I got the Eggs Benedict there a couple weeks ago. But Charlie's is a little more expensive $10-$15 for a plate at brunch. Very cool atmosphere though.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IIIVAlive wrote: »
    Food at PAX Prime tended to be both expensive and greasy. Are there any decent, inexpensive restaurants/eateries/bars near the Hynes convention center?

I hate you. Did you read any part of this thread?

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I skimmed these forums and found a place called Pour House for breakfast (sounds like a pub, but noted)... I mentioned this in the main FAQ but failed to get a response so I'll try here:

Are there any places with especially good eggs benedict in Boston (preferably near the site)? Benedicts are my favorite breakfast and I've eaten them in almost every city I've been in (which is saying a lot) and would love to find a place renowned for them.

Abe & Louies/Joes (owned by the same rest. group) has solid eggs benedict, filet mignon benedict, or at times surf + turf benedict (steak and either a crab cake or lobster)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, maybe a Boston native can help me. My friend told me about a hot dog stand in Harvard Square that's hidden away but a must try place. He couldn't remember the name, or where it was exactly. Just that it was in Harvard square and tiny.

Anyone know what he was talking about?

There's a guy who runs a hot dog cart at the Harvard Square T stop ... he's pretty well known :)

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/news/lifestyle/x1789526597/Harvard-Square-hot-dog-man-s-living-his-dream

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cambridge-MA/Harvard-T-Stop-Hot-Dogs/71626066993

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    jtark31jtark31 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Pizzeria Regina in south station is always awesome! if you want some good food definitely check South Station out. Its just a short walk from the convention center.

jtark31 on
  • Options
    ExpoHUDExpoHUD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    elektra168 wrote: »
    An earlier poster was right when they said all you have to do is go outside and walk to find a variety of restaurants - pubs, chains, fast food. Boylston St. and Newbury St. are lined with food options.
    <awesome list>
    Elektra, do you mind if we host this list on PAX.ExpoHUD.com? We will gladly give you credit, and we think it will help a lot of people.

ExpoHUD on
  • Options
    ROFLROFL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not gonna wade through all this text, so forgive me if they mentioned this:

Right across from the Hynes (where the convention is) there's a Ramen Shop. The prices are really good for the amount of food (and quality). It's called Mentei. and it's really delicious. I'd suggest the Tayaki (like a pastry) and their miso. They're cheap, filling, and the best I've had at any Japanese food place. But it is very small so if you want to go at night, you might wait (or if you go with a big group!)

ROFL on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh damn, I'll have to check that Ramen place out.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ROFLROFL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They only take cash, if I remember, but there are tons of ATMs in the Pru :3

ROFL on
  • Options
    makattackmakattack Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    If you're into craft beers, you have to visit:

The Other Side Cafe (also great option for vegans, veggies, et al): http://www.theothersidecafe.com/
    Bukowskis: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/963/?view=beerfly
    A bit further away: The Boston Beer Works (Fenway & North Station areas): http://www.beerworks.net/
    Even further: Deep Ellum, Publick House, Vee Vees.

makattack on
  • Options
    NickieroonieNickieroonie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My friend and I were looking for some basic pizza-hotel-delivery action at 1AM, but we were unable to find a single place with Yelp or on the walk back towards the hotel. They were all closed, didn't deliver, or we would call and they'd hang up for whatever reason.

Are we missing something? :/

Nickieroonie on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My friend and I were looking for some basic pizza-hotel-delivery action at 1AM, but we were unable to find a single place with Yelp or on the walk back towards the hotel. They were all closed, didn't deliver, or we would call and they'd hang up for whatever reason.

Are we missing something? :/

most are closed or horrible.

talk to the hotel concierge to see what he suggests ;)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    edited March 2010
    ROFL wrote: »
    I'm not gonna wade through all this text, so forgive me if they mentioned this:

Right across from the Hynes (where the convention is) there's a Ramen Shop. The prices are really good for the amount of food (and quality). It's called Mentei. and it's really delicious. I'd suggest the Tayaki (like a pastry) and their miso. They're cheap, filling, and the best I've had at any Japanese food place. But it is very small so if you want to go at night, you might wait (or if you go with a big group!)

It's been mentioned :)

This thread is a bit of a mess - lots of places keep getting brought up and some of the better posts are lost in a sea of text :|

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

This discussion has been closed.