As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quality NDS Games?

124»

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And Golden Sun improved on it. In my opinion anyway.

Not being able to attack a different target is not really a valid complaint. It's just different than what you were used to.

I honestly can't think of another RPG that has similar mechanics as Golden Sun. I'd love to play another game that has the same class customization.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    You can turn off battle animations in Pokemon which speeds them up somewhat. But yeah, I do agree that Diamond and Pearl are excruciatingly slow (R/S/E before it and Platinum/HGSS much less so).
    Yes, but there's a reason for the slowdown. The graphics are far better, so keeping the high speed would mess things up. Or so I've heard.

My main problem was with the text speed. Even if you turn off the battle animations, you still had to wait for the text to slowly go through. If you could just press A a few times to skip through everything, that would have made the game 100% better to me.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chen wrote: »

Not being able to attack a different target is not really a valid complaint. It's just different than what you were used to.

What? That's like saying that games that rely heavily on brute force trial-and-error as a mechanic are still acceptable. Standards have changed.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chen wrote: »

Well considering literally every RPG ever abandoned that mechanic like a bad habit by the mid 90s, I would totally consider it a valid complaint

Rent on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the lot of you may have blown it out of proportion.

Mooks are easy to kill and bosses are often singular. I mean, if you're targeting the same mook as Isaac who has a good shot at unleashing Megiddo which will kill the target instantly, then you're likely doing something wrong. It's just a matter of targeting different mooks with different characters, but shit, moving your dpad around is an ancient practice, am I right?

At least enemies are in a straight line instead of front and back rows in Final Fantasy. Targeting a specific mook in any of those games can be a straight chore sometimes. Moreover, in Golden Sun, spells with AoE will always target all enemies. In Final Fantasy, if you want to target all enemies which you almost always want to do, then welp that's another button press.

If that's a valid complaint, then surely these are too.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age, is a pretty easy game. I played it for the first time on Hard a few weeks ago and I think I only died once to the first boss. The targeting thing is a slight annoyance made up entirely by the fact that 95% of the weapons you are going to use in that game have some absolutely insane proc rates on their special abilities, and that PP regenerates over time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bumping this, because Picross 3D has just blown me away, ign.com

It takes a while to get used to the new control method and iconography, but it's totally sweet. The new best thing is that all solved puzzles belong to a certain gallery, and there seems to be some sort of metagame associated with each one. For example, unlocking letters in the crossword category puts them into the actual puzzle, and unlocking the letters N, W, S and E puts them into a compass.

I cannot stress how satisfying this is

Though the game uses a really weird 90s pastel-coloured, geometric aesthetic that freaks me out at times. Like the opening of In Living Color.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.