As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am unashamedly in love with every one of those suits of armor from "Justice," but Darth Batman most of all. Partially because while everyone else was getting suited up with the metal men, Bats was just like, "I had this totally badass shit hanging in my garage. What, you guys don't have one?"

KalTorak on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like Batman's because it is essentially the 60's TV Batmobile, but armor.

Fencingsax on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Don't stand behind him when he's in a hurry.

KalTorak on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I was totally about to go there. It's like...Darth Batmobile or some shit.

Linespider5 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I was totally about to go there. It's like...Darth Batmobile or some shit.

Remember, this is Alex Ross.

Fencingsax on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    109773-105562-u-s-agent_large.png

I really like this one, especially the red and black circles on the shield. It's dark, but not over the top grim-dark.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've always quite liked Adam Strange's costume:

adam-strange_a31.jpg

adamstrange.jpg

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree about Adam Strange's costume. 5 years ago it kind of circled back around from being outdated to being cool again, and Pascual Ferry's redesign:

adamstrange.jpg

Makes it that much better.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved Pascal Ferry's redesign of Adam Strange's costume. I thought the use of hard light equipment, and a more streamlined re-interpretation of classic elements (like the "X" on his chest) were really well done. It's a shame Jim Starlin did away with it.

[Edit: Damn you Tex.]

Also, since Black Canary's costume was brought up earlier, Project Rooftop's doing a big design contest for said character. It should be interesting to see what people come up with.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Adam Strange has a great pulp sci-fi asthetic to his look. Very fun.

FCD on
    edited March 2010
    Munch, you're a scientist from Rann, see. And I'm a cop from Thanagar. When Superboy Primed forces Rann into Thanagar's orbit, hilarity ensues!

And Black Canary needs to have a cape now in the redesign.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Also, since Black Canary's costume was brought up earlier, Project Rooftop's doing a big design contest for said character. It should be interesting to see what people come up with.

I've always thought a good way to redesign BC would be to take the colors and bird motif of the 80's monstrosity and just remove the 80's-ness from it. No crazy shoulder pads or bandana. Admittedly, it'd look like Nightwing's last costume, but that is a very nice costume to resemble.

FCD on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DMAC wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Go for it. It has to be said though other artists other than Bachalo *cough*over-rated*cough* have managed to make that suit look pretty OK.

Where else has he shown up? I haven't seen him in anything since that annual.

Also, I like Bachalo. :P

He showed up in a back story in the last Ms. Marvel issue a few weeks back.

Kyougu on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    No cape for Black Canary. She is a martial artist.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited March 2010
    She needs a cape to wrap around people's heads and then blast them with her nagging shriek that she perfected yelling at Ollie to take out the trash hyuck hyuck marriage. It can be a mini cape like Power Girl has or Batgirl had.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    Regarding capes, I have always loved Captain Marvel's little off the shoulder white one. It is so silly and out-of-date, yet I love it anyways.

FCD on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know who's awful?
    peacemaker-3.jpg

No wonder he switched to a T-Shirt and tatoos.

Lux on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've always liked the simplicity of the Rorschach costume. Its basically just a brown trench coat and mask. But its a totally fitting look for his personality. And also I would not want to meet him in a dark alley. Definitely one of the scarier hero costumes.

Dave%20Gibbons%20Art%20of%20Watchmen%20Rorschach%20newstand.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think his persona is more intimidating than his costume. I'd be more freaked out from meetin' Cass Cain's featureless face.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    You know who's awful?
    peacemaker-3.jpg

No wonder he switched to a T-Shirt and tatoos.

He's wearing a decapitated cyberman as a hat.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thank god he turned out so awesome in Blue Beetle.

Speaking of Blue Beetle, you know who has an awesome suit?

Blue Beetle.

BlueBeetle_II.jpg

He's wearing a giant beetle as a backpack and yet it doesn't look stupid. Also! Luchadore mask!

Jintor on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spider-man 2099 had that cool blend of American and Luchadore thing going on.

A lot of the 2099 costumes rocked. I think the general consensus is that 2099 rocked period.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't read the book yet, as I have been waiting for the omnibus, but Jason Aaron and his artists updated a ton of old Ghost Rider characters and made some awesome retcons, including something like a "ghost rider corps." Different Ghost Riders in different parts of the world, influenced by local customs and beliefs.

Check out Shaolin Ghost Rider:
    prv1184pg7.th.jpg

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2010
    Ghost Rider 2099 has this cool hybrization between Ghost Rider and the Terminator:
    Ghost_Rider_2099_2_cover.jpg

cshadow42 on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some people mock the surfboard, but I think it's a streamlined, efficient mode of travel that goes along with Surfer's own minimalist look.

Anyone who mocks the surfboard is dead to me. DEAD.

You know the Silver Surfer has nailed a perfect minimal look because there's nothing to add or remove to his appearance. How many superheroes have gone this long without being redesigned and it's not a case of "Well it's superman/spider-man so it looks dopey but iconic"?

Having said all this I now secretly want to draw the Silver Surfer with a vest, two guns, a bunch of pouches and bandoliers and a headband.

desc on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    About the Silver Surfer, does he shift his body to look like he's wearing pants, or is he adrogenous? If he wants too, can the SS actually have sex? Because he's been attracted to people before but I don't know if he's ever done the deed.

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    His silver exterior is a shell/costume. Inside, he's humanoid.

cshadow42 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Really? I thought he was silver all the way through. That's the way he's been shown in a lot of the art, msot recent Annihilation where his skin is cracking and shattering and udnerneath his muscles are all silvery too.

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys all have it wrong. He's milk chocolate coated in a silver candy shell.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    The Silver Surfer is secretly a silver dragée (look it up).

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Kirby's Silver Surfer is obviously wearing some kind of... silver speedo.

Really, you guys need to appreciate Frankencastle a little more. Look at this:

punisherbirthmonster102.jpg

I can't figure out what is going on with that gun, but the rest of it is amazing.

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2010
    I like that Tony Moore's trying really hard to bring back the Rob Liefeld Theory of Design™ with that picture.

Also, I did this last night. Going to adjust a couple of minor things then ink it later today.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Of course, Munch, but it is post-modern! Hhaha, yeah, it is completely gratuitous, no doubt about that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    You know who needs a new costume? Deathstroke

His shit is awful

Garlic Bread on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    W - why is Tigra carrying a hurley stick?

Wildcat on
    edited March 2010
    Well Wildcat, even heroes need hobbies. Honestly, I just thought she needed a weapon, and a crazy club/throwing stick combo was something I hadn't recalled seeing done much before.

I think the cartoon Deathstroke had a good take on his costume, despite a bit of over-accessorizing with all the body armor.

But on the topic of characters with Death in their name that need a redesign, I really don't care for Deathlok's appearance. On the one hand, it's just hokey and goofy enough to fit a cyborg zombie from the future. But I really dislike the design cliche of cyborg limbs basically being normal arms with lines on them. It just looks kind of ugly and lazy to me. I'd prefer to see him look more like Frankencastle; a mess of dead flesh and awkward industrial parts jutting out all over the place. Darick Robertson also did what I thought was a pretty good take on him, but it still has the aforementioned crummy robot limbs.
    n2l4ix.jpg

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I like that Tony Moore's trying really hard to bring back the Rob Liefeld Theory of Design™ with that picture.

Also, I did this last night. Going to adjust a couple of minor things then ink it later today.

Hmm..seems very Thundercat-ish. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

cshadow42 on
    edited March 2010
    I actually realized later that I'd kind of inadvertently ripped off Katt from Breath of Fire II. Damn cat-people all look alike.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Deathlok needs some work. His regular costume is prtty much a wrestler singlet. I haven't actually read anything featuring Deathlok, aside from an issue of MAXIMUM CARNAGE he was in for maybe three panels. Isn't he from some rotten, crummy ass future? I agree that he should be kind of ramshackle looking, like Frankencastle.

That Deathlok there is pretty neat looking, Munch. I guess Joe Casey had a Deathlok series that was never traded somewhere in the late 90s, with deathlok being more like a tricked out Life Model Decoy or something.

Frankencastle is my favorite redesign since Fraction and Aja gave Iron Fist new clothes.

DouglasDanger on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a fan of a number of the AoA costume designs. This one is probably the most striking however:
    AoA_Sunfire.jpg

Caveman Paws on