As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

business cards for my job hunt.

th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I thought I would be different and order business cards to hand out when I meet someone and dont want to give out a resume. Like today I had to write out my email and phone number 4 or 5 times at the NPR station I was giving my time to. So I quick search says this is not an original idea. But still it seems like a good one. So my questions are what are the best free or cheap card printers I dont like junk mail. and anyone want to put one togeather for me? I can pay in wow gold on uldum :lol: thanks

th3thirdman on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Moo.com

Ignoring the wow gold for design sugestion.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    vistaprint isn't bad.
    I had my business cards printed there.
    There are a few other ones.

As far as what they should say, read this:
    http://tinysubversions.com/2010/02/business-cards-continued/

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That was a joke and thanks. But what I was wondering is are the free vista print card or 123cards the ones like that any good or should I break down I buy some?

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I figured ;)

but seriously, moo.com are pretty amazing, great price, great product. And I used to work for a print brokers, I'm not just another Internet hipster fawning over their web two point ohs.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would strongly advise buying good quality business cards rather than opting for free. I'm not 100% sure on the vista print details, but usually free business cards will have advertising for the company on the back. On top o that, vista print's (UK shop) free cards are on 80 lb (215gsm) stock. Frankly, that's paper, not card. Ultimately, they're going to be cheap, flimsy and tacky - and that's the impression they'll give of you if you o around handing them out with your name on them.

Good quality business cards aren't expensive, and they're well worth the small cost.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ya I think I might go that way. I am going to do a mock up of the card and post it here to get feed back.

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have Vista Print business cards with my school's logo and whatnot, they're pretty good quality and they were relatively cheap.

What kind of business are you trying to get into? Depending on what you do there's some interesting things you can do with the whitespace on the back of the card (e.g., if you're an illustrator, put a sketch on the back).

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    okay I know this is low rez I just did it in paint. but what do you all think?
    card.jpg

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To be clear, I did NOT opt for the free cards from vistaprint.
    I did pay, but it wasn't too bad. around $34 for 500 cards on decent stock.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's nothing cheap, flimsy or tacky about Neville.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could just buy some business card stock and print your own. They won't be all fancy gold embossed or anything, but we did this and they looked pretty good. Most word processors would be able to do this. I think we paid like $5 or $10 for enough stock to print a few hundred cards, iirc.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vistaprint puts "Get 250 Free Business cards at Vistaprint.com" on the back of their free business cards, and it's only like 3 or 4 bucks to remove that if you'd like. The quality and stock is the same as if you paid from premiums.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nothing wrong with free VistaPrint cards if you're looking for a job.

Just the basic stuff - don't put home mailing address, have a professional e-mail address, maybe get a Google Voice number so you can screen calls.

Can't even really see that image at all, some sort of head?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ya my email is myname@gmail.com and the image is a drawing I had done of me its simple.

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ya my email is myname@gmail.com and the image is a drawing I had done of me its simple.

Yeah, um, that's not ok.

Seriously though, what's the card say on it? Professional somethingorother? I can't really read it.

Having a drawing of yourself on your business card is a terrible idea. If there was a website for bad business cards that would probably be in the hall of fame. Unless you're in the cartooning business and your friend is a notable cartoonist or something like that, but I dunno man.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    its my name is bold
    then customer service under that. I thats what I do
    then phonenumber, address, email address.
    I dont know I thought it was a good Idea becuase I am a big guy and that the most memeralble thing.

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    its my name is bold
    then customer service under that. I thats what I do
    then phonenumber, address, email address.
    I dont know I thought it was a good Idea becuase I am a big guy and that the most memeralble thing.

I don't think it's a good idea. I reminds me of a real estate agent's card, only creepier.

I think you're good with what you have, without the picture. Maybe just use an unusual color to make it pop or something.

Since you're using these while networking to find a job, you might want to include a line from your resume that's relevant and concise--something that when they look at it again, they think, "Oh, this is the cool dude I want to hire."

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Having a drawing of yourself on your business card is a terrible idea. If there was a website for bad business cards that would probably be in the hall of fame.

limed, bolded, limed again.

It is appropriate to have a graphic on your business card in three and only three circumstances

1. The graphic is a representation of what you do (ie slice of cake for a bakery, Gavel for a Lawyer etc., self portrait for a cartoonist)
    2. The graphic is your corporate logo
    3. The graphic is your initials on a personal business card

(I know Im forgetting one... damn it)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    thanks for the help. I have a mock up I am going to use.

th3thirdman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's nothing cheap, flimsy or tacky about Neville.

<3<3<3

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png