As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

• AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I'm having some serious issues as I get into the final levels. I keep running out of quests/quest hubs with no new ones on the way.

It started when I got into the Cobra steppe or whatever the hell the eastern Holy Lands are called. I got there from Eljune at about level 31, and every quest was 33+. I did them anyway, and wound up about two bubbles short of 32 by the time I ran out of things to do.

No problem I thought, and ground out the last two bubbles for 32. Picked up a new round of quests, did them all, and this time I'm 5 bubbles short of the next level with no more quests.

What the hell? I'm making full use of fatigue, I'm keeping my pvp flag up for extra XP (as much as I hate it). What am I missing, was there some other zone I was supposed to hit first? I'm not at all interested in grinding out half of every level from here to 40.

Alethiometer on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you buy the XP increasing items from the cash shop? Lulz.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited March 2010
    They also fucked up my account 2 days ago, and triple charged me for $10 worth of cash shop money. After that, they broke my fucking cash shop access and now I can't purchase anything in-game or even view my current balance. I put in a ticket and was told they're "Working on it."

Jesus fuck guys, I'm trying to give you money here. Give me a hand.

Between the account screwups, the level-grind burnout, and the ridiculously ganky PvP intruding everywhere, I am about ready to put this down and not look back. Suddenly captaining an Astral Ship is seeming less and less worth the hassle.

Alethiometer on
  • kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you do the rep grind at each zone? I think they expect you to do those to make up any extra exp you may need.

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hm. fatigue is getting to me. I think i'm going to stop playing this game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can deal with fatigue. It's the death penalties and the way they push perfume like it was crack that bother me.

Between bag space and respecs they should be able to make bank right there. Add in a bunch of vanity and convenience items and there shouldn't be a need for harsh death penalties. Besides which....if they continue equating player deaths with revenue generation the temptation to stack the deck against the players becomes too great to resist and would ruin an otherwise decent game.

Poketpixie on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    hm. fatigue is getting to me. I think i'm going to stop playing this game.

There's an easy way to deal with fatigue. Quest until you're out of fatigue, then pick up a ton of mob grinding quests, kill them, then wait to turn them in until the next day.

Or you could look for that silly goose alchemist...

Morvidus on
    edited March 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    I can deal with fatigue. It's the death penalties and the way they push perfume like it was crack that bother me.

Between bag space and respecs they should be able to make bank right there. Add in a bunch of vanity and convenience items and there shouldn't be a need for harsh death penalties. Besides which....if they continue equating player deaths with revenue generation the temptation to stack the deck against the players becomes too great to resist and would ruin an otherwise decent game.

Wait until you get into the final zones. Rusted wasteland is fucking awesome. How would you like some invisible fire traps that place a dot on you that ticks for thousands per second? How would you like it if you were sent back to that area repeatedly? Oh also there are lots of mobs in the area who do dots as well. And a general armor debuff just for being in the zone. I went through two full stacks of bandages and died four or five times before I got out of there. Tip: do not sprint, you will just hit more traps. There is no way to detect them or extinguish them.

They still haven't fixed my account and they haven't responded to any tickets I've put in since last week. Ganking in the final zones is getting worse. To answer someone's question- yes, I did every rep grind. Even the fucking fish-catching one at level 30. There just aren't enough quests to cover the XP needed in the final few levels, flag or no flag.

I gave it my best shot, but there's too much MMO chaff to sort through here. I really liked the teamwork angle of ship piloting, too. I'd love a game that took that, added collaborative construction/farming/crafting, and took out all the overdone grindy b.s. that seems to make up more than half of these games.

Still it was way more fun than STO, and at a much lower price.

Alethiometer on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I made several alts, all of which I went through the Tutorial with, until I settled with the one I created halfheartedly, a female Orc Scout. After getting an inch away from lvl 7 in one sitting, I have some impressions to share.

Allods-GuerrillaStartingOut.jpg

This game oozes style, and whoever translated or rewrote the quest text did a pretty damned good job. I'm still a lowbie, but I already see the signs of a grindfest. Not sure how long I'll stick with it, despite the gameplay being pretty damned good.

Strangely enough, what bothers me the most is the overall lack of sound.

The soundtrack is great, but you'll listen to a track once and then it'll fade to nothing for several minutes until you get a new one, or the same one finally loops.

The characters don't mutter any incantations, rarely grunt as they swing their weapons, or even react to being stabbed most of the time. Outside of the Tutorial, (Which had uninspired, phoned in acting at best.) none of the NPCs I've encountered are voiced either. It makes every character, including my own, feel lifeless; which is a sin, considering how much personality their visual representation has.

Several abilities which you'd expect to produce sound effects, such as say, enchanting an arrow or hurling a bolt of magic through the air, are oddly silent. And even audio cues related to UI functions, such as looting or selling vendor trash... are unnervingly absent.

It all adds up, and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Oh, and for fuck's sake, give me an easy way to block the spammers. It boggles my mind that there isn't an equivalent to WoW's right-click on name in chat box, Report Spam; not only silently notifying the GMs, but also instantly putting the character on Ignore.

aunsoph on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah. I hit enter to bring up chat, and click the name. The name appears in the chat, so i highlight it, cut it, and then press esc to cancelt he chat. Then I hit G to bring up friends, hit the ignore tab, hit add, then paste the name and accept.

That's pretty much the fastest way to do it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Voice issue is a wierd one, they seem to have cut alot of the Russian voice effects and yet left some in. Elves for instance run around yelling stuff in Combat constantly while a Kanian is Mute.

Who-Psyd on
    edited March 2010
    My druid is constantly yelling things out in Russian. My Arisen summoner on the other hand doesn't say much except when she gets hit. Then she'll mutter in that weird voice the Arisen have. I love that whole techno-undead thing and the robotic scorpion pet the Arisen get.

Poketpixie on
  • TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is anyone else still playing? I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Trooble on
    edited March 2010
    I still play with my brother on empire side, 34 pally, the only real fun in this game is the pvp.

kabuki64 on
    edited March 2010
    They never fixed my cash shop bug, the one that prevents me from purchasing anything ever. This despite multiple posts from people all experiencing the same issue. It became too much of a hassle to level in the late 30s without perfume, so I quit.

It's a good game, I still firmly believe that, they just have some really awful customer service on top of the usual Beta issues. I might check it again in six months and see how the ship combat is doing.

Alethiometer on
    edited March 2010
    You actually dont need perfume, if you die and dont want that pesky FoD just log out around 20 seconds left on your purgatory time and just log back on FoD free. That way you dont have to spend gold on or actual cash on perfume, at 35 I just have to wait around 3 mins, I think at 40 its 5 mins, but it beats the alternative.

kabuki64 on
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone understand a paladin's healing mechanics? I have no idea how much my stats affect intelligence and perception, and I'm not sure where all these resists on myself are coming from.

Perhaps it's because of my Divine Resistance on my armor, which would be an utterly stupid flaw. I mean, why would anyone willfully resist a heal?

Morvidus on
  • LostLost Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Does anyone understand a paladin's healing mechanics? I have no idea how much my stats affect intelligence and perception, and I'm not sure where all these resists on myself are coming from.

Perhaps it's because of my Divine Resistance on my armor, which would be an utterly stupid flaw. I mean, why would anyone willfully resist a heal?

The resist is caused by a) wound complexity or b)you are "missing" with your heal. For a Pali I think higher expertise fixes this.
    My pali seems to heal just fine, at level 35 with Nova rank 2 I can heal for on average 5-11k hp and with surge of light I can heal for ~6k on average.

Lost on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wound Complexity is the main thing a healer has to fight against in terms of resists, which is difficult to figure out because I think what WC is is never actually mentioned in game.

Even now I'm not entirely sure, but think of it as like a Mortal Strike in WoW. Most healers need Faith to fight WC.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited March 2010
    For pally healing just load up on expertise, which helps with resistance, and luck to prevent glancing heals.

kabuki64 on
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I don't know what the fuck to do against Twilight Shadow in Darkblood Citadel. He stacks me up with a debuff that reduces all my useful fucking stats 10% each stack. 30 seconds into the fight and he one shots me because I've gone from 12k health to 2k.

I have given up on Allods at this point.

Morvidus on
  • TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The new item shop prices are so insane, it's like they want you to quit once you hit 40 for some reason. Oh well, maybe they'll fix them..
    As for Dark Blood Citadel, I have no idea where or what that is but if it is a level 40 dungeon/raid then you are probably supposed to pay for that patronage stuff.

Trooble on
    edited March 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Ok, I don't know what the fuck to do against Twilight Shadow in Darkblood Citadel. He stacks me up with a debuff that reduces all my useful fucking stats 10% each stack. 30 seconds into the fight and he one shots me because I've gone from 12k health to 2k.

I have given up on Allods at this point.

Is it an instance?

If so is it possible to rotate tanks? Or that it may be a DPS race?

aunsoph on
    edited March 2010
    Shadow is a DPS race.
    Easiest way to do it is to get someone with a pet to tank first. Then just DPS race him down. It is very possible. Also, iirc, that debuff stacks every time you get hit with a targeted burst heal. So try to be healed via HoTs.

Lost on
    edited March 2010
    Lost wrote: »
    Shadow is a DPS race.
    Easiest way to do it is to get someone with a pet to tank first. Then just DPS race him down. It is very possible. Also, iirc, that debuff stacks every time you get hit with a targeted burst heal. So try to be healed via HoTs.

So Renew and Wave of Life won't trigger it?

Morvidus on
    edited March 2010
    I don't think so.
    But it has been a while since I have run the instance.

Lost on
    edited March 2010
    Oh well, I'm abandoning my League toon. There aren't enough 40s roaming the Holy Lands on League side, so the Empire has free reign over griefing lowbies.

I want a warrior anyway.

Morvidus on
    edited March 2010
    Well, not all hope is lost. Turns out I was just logging on at the wrong times. I was on late afternoon instead of past midnight, and there was a raid with 4 full groups clearing out the imperials, and another full rep raid. Good stuff.

Morvidus on
    edited April 2010
    Never trust fish people.....especially not in the kitchen.

Why is fishy guy squirming and holding his legs......
    Allods_100402_024809.jpg

Is he doing the pee pee dance?
    Allods_100402_024742.jpg

Why yes....yes he is....
    Allods_100402_024828.jpg

Poketpixie on
    edited April 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Never trust fish people.....especially not in the kitchen.

snip
    Why yes....yes he is....
    Allods_100402_024828.jpg

W...T...F...

Too much vodka?

Morvidus on
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Um yeah strangely enough alot of the Mobs have that animation, ALOT.

Who-Psyd on
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I made an account and downloaded the client but it says my username is invalid. How do I start playing, or is it still closed beta?

nerve on
  • Merton BlaskMerton Blask Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone still playing? I'm a lvl 11 Healer on Teness.

Merton Blask on
    It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too special.
    edited April 2010
    Stopped playing when I hit the Holy Lands. It was like Stranglethorn Vale all over again in WoW.

aunsoph on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    D:D:

Glal on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    D:D:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Merton BlaskMerton Blask Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aaaaaaaanyhoo. I'm rolling around at lvl 13. If you see Merton running around, usually into a Yak and dying, it is me.

Merton Blask on
    It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too special.
    edited April 2010
    I'm not looking forward to the Holy Lands. I've been putting it off actually but I'm running out of alts to level.

Poketpixie on
    edited April 2010
    I finished the Holy Lands, and now the game seems so empty. So empty that I just can't play anymore. I never thought I would have missed the Asee-Teph, but I do...

Morvidus on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I mostly play Allods as a fun thing to do with my GF since she has her WoW account unsubbed until she can get a new job. It's a interesting little game in pieces so me and her play through bits of the grind at a time and still enjoy it. It's remarkably well polished visually for a game with no sound beyond cop out spell sounds, Russian voice acting and a single area music score that loops.

I'll never sink into it full time with money on the table but it has it's charms.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png