As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Popular characters that you just aren't fond of.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ghostbusters quotes FTW!

It's really hard for me to think of someone I inherently dislike. I'm going to have to say most of the Runaways at this point - I read the book but I just don't find them terribly engaging, except maybe for Victor and Nico.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Storm.
    The whole "earth mother" thing she has doesn't do anything for me. It's more a "not fond of" than a dislike though.

She was cool when she lost her powers, had a mohawk and kicked serious ass. The whole regal gaoddess thing doesnt mesh well with me, but I dont hate her.
    Wolverine is another semi-interesting character that died of over-exposure. I mean he is a cowboy-samurai-berserker... how could you not love that? Unfortunately writers managed to mess him up.

Superman is kinda boring to me for same reasons others mentioned.
    I hate Cable. His powers are so vague, and the whole messiah complex is annoying. Its like he was written by a 5yr old kid, to be the strongest superhero ever cuz hes super cool and stuff. ugh.

Im sure I can come up with more.

muninn on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Ghostbusters quotes FTW!

It's really hard for me to think of someone I inherently dislike. I'm going to have to say most of the Runaways at this point - I read the book but I just don't find them terribly engaging, except maybe for Victor and Nico.

The only Runaways I dislike(d) are Victor and Gert.

Victor just bores the shit out of me, and I've yet to figure out why he was added to the cast beyond "lol robot!" And Gert was just a whiny bitch that thought she was a lot cooler than she actually was.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is this one of those places wherein you try to establish indy cred or something?

Yes

I'm surprise nobody has said "I hate (popular charecter), little off topic, anyone else LOOOVE Blankets?"

Algertman on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone really likes him but Robin destroys batman for me... He just doesnt fit the image... they spend so much effort going on about how he chose bats so that he can strike fear into the hearts of evildoers... then all of a sudden it's "and this is my sidekick... ROBIN" ?!?!? oooooh, scary. A kid in slippers, speedos and a vest.

please.

Fun fact: you don't know anything about Robin!

I don't dislike Robin, but I have wondered about this myself. I'd love to know Batman's reasoning for letting Robin wear that garish costume if anyone has any insight.

Batman knows he'll never "win" his war on crime. He has a Robin so he will have a replacement when he dies.

I get that, I'm just wondering about the red, yellow, and green costume. Especially in light of the fact Batman designed his entire persona around the idea of using fear as a weapon against criminals. Robin really seems out of place in Batman's company.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone really likes him but Robin destroys batman for me... He just doesnt fit the image... they spend so much effort going on about how he chose bats so that he can strike fear into the hearts of evildoers... then all of a sudden it's "and this is my sidekick... ROBIN" ?!?!? oooooh, scary. A kid in slippers, speedos and a vest.

please.

Fun fact: you don't know anything about Robin!

Quoted for Truth. Robin could be the best character in DC right now... at least, in my opinion. You can go ahead and dislike the IDEA of Robin, but in practical terms, he's freaking awesome.

Gotta say though... I think I dislike Gambit.

I used to like him... but somewhere along the way that changed. Now he's just a giant douche.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Think about it, Batman is so scary and feared now that the only way to appear more intimidating is to bring along a kid in bright yellow,red and green! If he's so fricken tough that he doesn't need decent backup you know you're ass is about to get handed to you.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of Superman. Writing teams do interesting things with the character occasionally, but I'm still not a massive fan of his, despite having read a fair amount of JLA, The Kingdom, For All Seasons, and All-Star Superman. Then again, I've never really got on very well with DC, save Batman.

I never liked Captain America. I read the first few issues of the fourth run and it was just in your face, depthless patriotism. An excuse to beat the shit out of terrorists. After reading Brubaker's run, however, I totally fell for the character. Shame that run fell apart at Civil War, or the death issue would have had a far greater impact on me. The Winter Soldier's a superb character though, certainly one of my favourites.

Other characters I dislike? The Fantastic Four do very little for me, the Pyms are dull... I'll have to have a think, as I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Think about it, Batman is so scary and feared now that the only way to appear more intimidating is to bring along a kid in bright yellow,red and green! If he's so fricken tough that he doesn't need decent backup you know you're ass is about to get handed to you.

I think Cassandra or someone brought that up recently... saying Batman only brought a Robin along as a distraction...

But think of it this way... Robin is supposed to be the light to Batman's darkness... the entire life of Batman has been about Robin's trying not to succumb to his darkness and pessimism. That's why Jason Todd is such a failure and Dick and Tim and simply awesome. The costume is just an extension of that idea.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Good point Sentry, though I'd opt for a costume color scheme that doesn't make people think "fast food employee who has wandered away from the drive thru window."

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Fantastic Four. IMO they should've been perma-killed off decades ago.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At this point ive had enough of Wolverine to last my sons lifetime.
    Deadpool just doesn't do it for me either.
    I like the concept of the Flash characters, but I hate the speed force.

I also hate Black Panther, but that is just because im a racist.

Marathon on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The original Robin costume is an homage to the Flying Graysons, Dick wore it to honor his parents. The other Robins kept the same scheme to honor the tradation he established.
    Keith wrote:
    Tim Drake is my favorite character

I hate Storm with a passion, she bores the fuck out of me. I hate her on the Fantastic Four and I hate her married to T'Challa (who I liked before Hudlin started writing him, oh Priest I miss you).

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The original Robin costume is an homage to the Flying Graysons, Dick wore it to honor his parents. The other Robins kept the same scheme to honor the tradation he established.

I fail to see how that makes the costume and character less lame.

For me, it would have to be Wolverine. They should have perma killed him at least 5 years ago. Also, I could do without Superman.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    badpoet wrote: »

You know he dosen't wear the short shorts and slippers anymore right? That was silver age.
    4982_400x600.jpg

The current Robin is a huge badass. The whole reason he became Robin is because he figured out Batman was Bruce Wayne. That pretty much puts him on a level with Ras al fucking Ghul and no one else I can think of.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Someone has a man crush on Robin! <3<3<3

Yes Robin is cool and his new outfit isn't as bad as the old one. Only truely macho men who can't even shake hands with other men because they are so painfully not into other dudes would dislike a character just because he's named after a cute little bird.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Superman used to bore me, but then I started reading the good stories like Kingdom Come, Red Son, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, and All Star Superman.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah someone does. Someone like Keith.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This thread is good for learning who you can hate forever. For example, now I know not to respect all the people who don't like the Fantastic Four. I'll try to avoid a rant explaining why they are so goddamn awesome.

Also, The Flash is pretty much the greatest thing ever. This is a fact.

I have to agree with all the people who aren't fans Wolverine. And while I'm not a fan of 616 Iron Man, the Ultimate universe Iron Man proves that's more of a matter of the way he's been portrayed recently and not a problem with the concept itself.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The journalist woman in Mervel. Alcoholic bitch woman. Don't know her real name. Well, her.

Also, the F4 are an irritating throwback to the sixties that should have been majorly revamped about 3 decades ago, like every one else has been.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Also, the F4 are an irritating throwback to the sixties that should have been majorly revamped about 3 decades ago, like every one else has been.

Someone needs to read Mark Waid's run!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah someone does. Someone like Keith.

And Sentry. I wouldn't say no to a Tim/Conner Manwich...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    badpoet wrote: »

You know he dosen't wear the short shorts and slippers anymore right? That was silver age.
    4982_400x600.jpg

The current Robin is a huge badass. The whole reason he became Robin is because he figured out Batman was Bruce Wayne. That pretty much puts him on a level with Ras al fucking Ghul and no one else I can think of.

Also, his monthly book is one of the best superhero rags out there right now. I eagerly anticipate every issue, which is more than I can say for nearly the entire Marvel Universe and 96% of the DC Universe.

EDIT: And his new look OYL is fucking awesome.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Someone needs to read Mark Waid's run!

Seriously, Wade's run on the series was so awesome.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The journalist woman in Mervel. Alcoholic bitch woman. Don't know her real name. Well, her.

You're thinking of Sally Floyd and, yeah, she sucks.

Right now, I hate the Thunderbolts, particularly Penance. Considering those guys are basically all criminals, it's to be expected.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Oh right, good call. Still though, you'd think Batman would try to dissuade them from continuing the tradition, if only because the bright colors just simply don't blend into the shadows as well. Ah well, comic book, I'm letting it pass.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Oh right, good call. Still though, you'd think Batman would try to dissuade them from continuing the tradition, if only because the bright colors just simply don't blend into the shadows as well. Ah well, comic book, I'm letting it pass.

Dark Victory.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Seriously all you guys who don't get the Fantastic Four, Waid's run will change your mind. Particularly the Unthinkable/Authoratative Action arcs.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously all you guys who don't get the Fantastic Four, Waid's run will change your mind. Particularly the Unthinkable/Authoratative Action arcs.

And then skip everything to Dwayne McDuffies run

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At one point I would have been all over this thread but honestly every character is at the mercy of the writer. For instance a year or two ago I would have put cyclops in this thread but thanks to Astonishing he's one of my favorite characters these days.

Basicly I'm in love with Weadon

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I tend to agree but there are some characters who could never be saved no matter who writes them.
    1satcard9831qd9.gif

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aunt May.

Just die already, you old biddy.

All she was ever good for was the occasional, "That horrible Spider-Man's on the news," followed by Peter going, "Aunt May can never learn that I'M Spider-Man."

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Penance.

Penance is a popular character?

The current X-Universe is pretty much right at the top of my "don't give a rat's ass about" list. There are occasional exceptions (Astonishing X-Men is pretty decent), and I loved the old 70s and 80s X-Men, but it just took a massive spin down the drain in the last 15 years or so.

I can't make myself care about Daredevil either.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like popular characters. They tend to be popular for a reason. Sure, I'd have liked the Hood to have had a run that reached double figures but that doesn't mean I'm gonna hold Wolverine accountable.

I used to find Hal Jordan fairly "meh". That his new book is one of the most consistently entertaining reads on my pull-list has led me to develop a fondness for the character, however.

This thread reminds me of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance thread back in G&T a little while ago, what with all the "Superman's boring lol" bullshit. If any of you fuckers start talking about how Batman is awesome because he's "OMG, like, really real 'cause he's got no powerz!!!" you will wake up less one testicle than you went to bed with.

Honestly, Kingdom Come, Birthright, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For the Man who has Everything, the current Action Comics/Superman run, Secret Identity, Superman for All Seasons... have you read any of these, people?

Optimism isn't necessarily boring, nor is an especially powerful character.

Sorry to rant, but Christ almighty...

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Penance.

Penance is a popular character?

The current X-Universe is pretty much right at the top of my "don't give a rat's ass about" list. There are occasional exceptions (Astonishing X-Men is pretty decent), and I loved the old 70s and 80s X-Men, but it just took a massive spin down the drain in the last 15 years or so.

I can't make myself care about Daredevil either.

The X-books were total shit for a while under the pen of Chuck Austen, but both Mike Carey's and Ed Brubaker's current runs are pretty rad.

Edit: tHooraydiation as long as you don't include Ultimate Aunt May in that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks to Sentry I am reminded of my long festering intolerance of The Sentry.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks to Sentry I am reminded of my long festering intolerance of The Sentry.

Glad I could help. Although, I should point out, I had my name before he came about...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not The Sentry's fault that he's used pretty stupidly, though.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah I liked the original Sentry story alot, they just havent used him very well since. Though I'm willing to give Bendis a chance.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I tend to agree but there are some characters who could never be saved no matter who writes them.
    [PICTURE]

Mammomax is totally dead, man.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970