As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dang, that Deathlok there was canceled.

DouglasDanger on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deathlok is always awesome, but I agree about cyborg limbs needing to look weird in order to be fun. The best part of the Frankencastle design is that huge weird right shoulder.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the little American flag on Deathlok.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gladiator2.bmp

He's sure got... something there.

KalTorak on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When done right Gladiator can look remarkably cool. The mohawk especially gives him a real hardcore warrior edge.

Solar on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spider-Man has had some awesome costumes. And some horrible.

Awesome.

ASM539_cov_col.jpg

Horrible.

CostumeCosmicSpidey.gif

But I think my favorite, non regular Spidey costume is this one.

CostumeSpiderPhoenix.gif

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm a fan of a number of the AoA costume designs. This one is probably the most striking however:
    AoA_Sunfire.jpg

This was the event that first got my reading comics. Not only are most of those costumes incredibly nostalgic (and I had a bunch of the toys as a kid, including combover Cyclops), but I still think the AoA costumes were AWESOME.

stevemarks44 on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm at work so cant' find the picture but I'm sad they didn't keep the look Danny Ketch had in Addict. Long black coat and a smoldering skull instead of the full out flames. It was a more subdued Ghost Rider look but man I thought it looked great. To bad it was just a stepping stone to his current look.

Psychotic One on
  • MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We should totally do a series of redesign/reimaging/why I should write blah blah threads. Cause its fun.

MarkGoodhart on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Ghost Rider 2099 has this cool hybrization between Ghost Rider and the Terminator:
    Ghost_Rider_2099_2_cover.jpg

I've got much love for GR-2099. Hopefully Marvel will bring him around again. On another note, I have to admit this armor's grown on me.

usaironpatriot.jpg

Shame it'll probably be chucked in the nearest bottomless pit once Siege is over.

Owenashi on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey at least its lasted for a while. With as many different books as Osborn has been appearing in, we've had a good amount of coverage for the Iron Patriot.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2010
    Here's another IM-armor I liked. I wouldn't mind seeing it come into play somehow during the first story of the new Avengers series against Kang. Wouldn't mind seeing a colored scan of this either.

briandenhamironmanhyper.jpg

Owenashi on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to see a larger, more cumbersome Iron Man armor. It would make it seem closer to reality, and thus cooler. Right now it seems a bit too 'magical' to have him with form-fitting armor.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was the Hypervelocity armor I think. I liked it cause it didn't look like some of his more Skin Tight armors.

Psychotic One on
    edited March 2010
    That was the Hypervelocity armor I think. I liked it cause it didn't look like some of his more Skin Tight armors.

Yeah, it did have some nice heft to it.

newironmanarmordesign2b.jpg

Adam Warren drew it really well but it'd be nice to see it drawn under someone else's pencils.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to see Iron Man look large and imposing, on a size scale comparable to Thor. Sometimes I really have to suspend my disbelief when his skin-tight armor does all these magical things, which takes me out of the moment.

cshadow42 on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah...the skin tight armor would only be what...a milimeter tops thick. Hard to believe its bullet and rocket proof with out a little thickness. Either that or Extremis turned Stark into Maul from wildcats and becomes all emanciated when he goes into the suit so he can fit more gadgets on it and have the meat take up less space.

Psychotic One on
    edited March 2010
    I dunno if this armor counts as being skin-tight but I liked the look of the Modular Armor. Meant to be multi-purpose and it actually has him in 'pants'.

ironman3011.jpg

I also like this classic armor, especially when drawn with big boots and gauntlets. Made you wish he'd use them for kicking and punching the crap out of a villain if his repulsors broke.

ironmancard.jpg

Think I bought these cards by the way.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2010
    I love how the suit, supposedly firm metal, gives Tony Stark washboard abs.

cshadow42 on
    edited March 2010
    Here's a pair of costumes I'm sure a good lot of you haven't seen in a long time.

drstrangefatescan0008eh.jpg

Nothing sets you apart from the other multiverse-travelers like a fanny pack. I'm surprised they didn't have his boots red and blue like his gloves.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2010
    Strangefate look cool. Shame it's a really crappy amalgamation of names.

Solar on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought Dr. Strangefate was a fairly decent amalgamation, actually.

Better than DARK CLAWWWWWWW

Jintor on
    edited March 2010
    Jintor wrote: »

You shut your whore mouth. Darkclaw rules. Not like Spider-boy, who is lame. lame.

Solar on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »

You shut your whore mouth. Darkclaw rules. Not like Spider-boy, who is lame. lame.

You shut your whore mouth. He had a gun that shot webbing. That's awesome.

Kyougu on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »

I meant in terms of name. Forgot to mention that. Terrible costume though.

Jintor on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This only made one appearance for a Nightwing one-shot, but The Target was a good design because it was basically what Dick raided from a SWAT locker at the police station:

nwta.jpg

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I went ahead and inked my Tigra redesign last night. I'm going to do a few little action pose sketches to layer into the background, and then color it up later.
    5vpzjn.png

Edit: Updated with finished colors.

I wanted to:
    - stick to Tigra's basic color scheme (yellow/orange/black/white)
    - take her out of the bikini and put her in a more functional (by superhero standards anyhow) unitard
    - put her hair in a slightly punkier, modern, less Farrah Fawcett 'doo
    - add some stripes to her costume so that, even as Greer Grant, she's still clearly Tigra
    - place her pendant/symbol on her chest in plain view
    - give her fun accessories, as I kind of like costumes that are in layers
    - give her a kind of unique weapon, since while she's strong, she's not anywhere near a heavy hitter, and so should have a weapon to give her a bit of an edge
    - downplay the SeXy KaTgRrl thing by covering her chest with an armored breastplate

I'm still going to nudge some things around and throw in some sketches to display the costume from behind and how it appears while in motion.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    She looks a little more kickass than the current Tigra, which makes sense.

Solar on
    edited March 2010
    That's a good costume there, Munch. It is more respectable and more practical than her current combat bikini deal.

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2010
    Thanks fellas, I'm doing a Deathlok redesign now. And I'm going to try to do something for the Black Canary contest over at Project Rooftop.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Oh man Deathlok yessss

I hope PR runs a Captain America contest, like their other big contests. Cap has a great look, but it would be awesome to see different costumes for him. His ears sticking out really bothers me. I guess I can buy no one grabbing him by the ears and headbutting the shit out of him, since I can buy people not grabbing capes, but it looks goofy.

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the dome hood needs some sort of accessory to avoid looking stupid. Red Robin would be an example of exactly a version I don't like, whereas Flash's hood is pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2010
    The dome hood can look OK if it's more like armour than just spandex. And the best Captain America costume is the one Ultimate Cap wears in WW2.

Solar on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GreenLantern_I.jpg

I've always liked Alan Scott's costume.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It is one of those costumes that should be tacky and garish but works. That, and the discussion in the Batmn thread reminded me:

wildcat_dc-comics_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

Wildcat looks silly. The guy is a tough old boxer, and he's dressing up in a fursuit with little cat whiskers on his cheeks.

Lux on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    munch that tigra isn't sexy enough

I do not want to bang her

where are her d-cups of justice

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks to modern coloring it looks a lot better now though compared to how it was in the past, where it looked like he skinned a dog. I like to think the cat mouth hides his bruises.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2010
    munch that tigra isn't sexy enough

I do not want to bang her

where are her d-cups of justice
    Just for you TLB, here's the special Greg Land variant. Potentially NWS.
    fvlgnp.png
    Just going to throw this out there; I spent about five minutes on this, from tracing it off my monitor, to doing the quick inks, to coloring it. And you know, drawing scantily clad celebrities doesn't make me feel dirty, but by golly, tracing them sure does. I could actually feel artistic integrity seeping out of my pores.

But now I kind of want to do a whole mock-Land comic.

On Wildcat's costume, there was a semi-recent JSA Classified arc, where the artist made his costume look soo goofy. Like, he had a big pink nose. It was ridiculous and hilarious, especially since the story was supposed to have kind of a dark, noirish tone.

Munch on
    edited March 2010
    Ted Grant might be the most badass dude in comics, but I cannot take a man in a school mascot costume seriously.

DouglasDanger on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Just going to throw this out there; I spent about five minutes on this, from tracing it off my monitor, to doing the quick inks, to coloring it. And you know, drawing scantily clad celebrities doesn't make me feel dirty, but by golly, tracing them sure does. I could actually feel artistic integrity seeping out of my pores.

But now I kind of want to do a whole mock-Land comic.

Okay, here's your Greg Land challenge. Go buy either an issue of Playboy or some trashy gossip mag with lots of celebrity pictures, each comic panel must feature at least 1 trace from the magazine, bonus points if the story is coherant and the magazine photos are traced sequentially.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]