As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - BYOC REG LIVE

• kstrike155kstrike155 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Knoland wrote: »
    Cause it doesn't have dedicated servers so it's a pain to play with people at a LAN. MW1 has dedicated servers, so it's easy.

That's true, I didn't even think about that. The same goes for BC2, but nVidia is providing on-site servers.

One way to solve the MW2 debacle would be to have a list of everyone's Steam handle, and then set up private matches. Otherwise MW2 uses automatic matchmaking, correct?

Brian

kstrike155 on
  • KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    kstrike155 wrote: »
    Cause it doesn't have dedicated servers so it's a pain to play with people at a LAN. MW1 has dedicated servers, so it's easy.

That's true, I didn't even think about that. The same goes for BC2, but nVidia is providing on-site servers.

One way to solve the MW2 debacle would be to have a list of everyone's Steam handle, and then set up private matches. Otherwise MW2 uses automatic matchmaking, correct?

Brian

From my understanding MW2 ONLY does match making. Besides, in my opinion, BC2 is a much better game, just because I like team play.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
    edited March 2010
    From my understanding MW2 ONLY does match making. Besides, in my opinion, BC2 is a much better game, just because I like team play.

Hmm, maybe it works differently on Xbox 360. I'm pretty sure you can do private matches there.

I agree with the teamwork sentiment for BC2 (I played the Beta) and would love to play it, but I can't find anyone to go in on the Squad Pack with me for $37.50 each. Hopefully I can find some people willing to do this. :mrgreen:

Brian

kstrike155 on
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When we get in line for the BYOC should we have are computers with us or get checked in and then go back to get the computers?

edit: found it
    When you first get to the convention center, your first step will be to grab your 3-day badge from registration. You'll find registration on the first floor of the convention center. Once you've got your 3 day expo pass, you're good to bring your computer in and if you make your way to the Elevator in hall A there will be an elevator. If you take that to the third floor you will see signs for the BYOC and PC Freeplay sections. We'll also have a hang out spot for those dedicated gamers who show up early, we'll point you in the right direction when you get there. Then you can have a seat, break out the ds, and admire the legion of enforcers slaving away...we expect to start bringing people in at noon and you'll get your BYOC badges at that point.

thorkon on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Hmm, maybe it works differently on Xbox 360. I'm pretty sure you can do private matches there.

I agree with the teamwork sentiment for BC2 (I played the Beta) and would love to play it, but I can't find anyone to go in on the Squad Pack with me for $37.50 each. Hopefully I can find some people willing to do this. :mrgreen:

Brian

If we can find 2 other people to do it I'm in. It would better if we could get this done today or tomorrow so we can all get it loaded on our systems before we head off to PAX.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I know the byoc people are being let in before the general pax line starts letting in. I also read that byoc groups will be the first ones let in fir the byoc. My friends and I have a group registered for the byoc and we are going to be in Boston by tomorrow night.

What time will the byoc groups be allowed to enter and what time should we arrive? Will there be a separate line just for byoc groups? We would like to get in as early ad possible and get set up... Just trying to find out when we should get there on Friday

thr4sher on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    thr4sher wrote: »
    Ok so I know the byoc people are being let in before the general pax line starts letting in. I also read that byoc groups will be the first ones let in fir the byoc. My friends and I have a group registered for the byoc and we are going to be in Boston by tomorrow night.

What time will the byoc groups be allowed to enter and what time should we arrive? Will there be a separate line just for byoc groups? We would like to get in as early ad possible and get set up... Just trying to find out when we should get there on Friday

To my understanding, everyone starts getting let it at the same time... but the groups will be asked to leave the BYOC line and get registered first, as priority over the non-groupers. It'll help Big Red prevent us savage beasts from stealing your seats ;)

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    thr4sher wrote: »

To my understanding, everyone starts getting let it at the same time... but the groups will be asked to leave the BYOC line and get registered first, as priority over the non-groupers. It'll help Big Red prevent us savage beasts from stealing your seats ;)

Just how many people are considered a group?

Knoland on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    See the second spoiler in BigRed's OP. There are a couple of groups that already have blocks of seats reserved, so they can sit together.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So im closing down group seat reg. I dont have any more free time to take care of this and setup is in full swing. No more group registrations will be accepted. See you guys friday!

One last thing, i dont have the list fully updated cause its hard to do on my phone. Whe. We get machines hooked uo tomorrow ill try and update the list.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • openflyopenfly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4461009537_d913388769.jpg

Coming down to the wire... tomorrow evening is going to be very painful for me if I want this thing working for PAX East...

openfly on
  • GannoGanno Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What are you all doing for transporting your computers. I wasn't able to get a lan bag for my desktop, and I'm scratching my head as to how I will be able to carry the tower with one hand and my monitor box with the other. I would like to put the tower in the box for the case, which has a handle, but am worried that there won't be room for the case box when I get there and that it will have to be tossed, which would suck.

Any suggestions?

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
    edited March 2010
    Gonna pack the monitor and other peripherals into a rolling suitcase I used to get my other shtuff there, carry the computer in, out in the open (is that safe?) and hopefully get into the elevator and go to BYOC.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    If you mean safe as in, would someone on the street try to take it from you or something, yes, definitely safe. If you mean safe from elements, should be yes. I don't think it's supposed to rain, and there is a very long covered drop-off area in front of Hynes...it's like an airport terminal. If you mean safe as in, safe from you losing your grip on your tower and watching it tumble down a long stairway as it shatters into a million pieces, I'm not sure. (I know there is an escalator, but that image has haunted me for several weeks now).

If you bring your suitcase, are you expecting to keep it in BYOC, or bring it back to your nearby hotel room? My problem is that I live here and don't have a nearby room, and am worried that if I brought a suitcase, I would have nowhere to put it after unloading.

Hopefully BigRed will chime in with some wisdom soon. If Hynes has those suitcase roller things that they have in hotels, that would really simplify matters.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
    edited March 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    If we can find 2 other people to do it I'm in. It would better if we could get this done today or tomorrow so we can all get it loaded on our systems before we head off to PAX.

As it turns out I found a group. :)

Sorry mate!

Brian

kstrike155 on
    edited March 2010
    Ganno wrote: »
    If you mean safe as in, would someone on the street try to take it from you or something, yes, definitely safe. If you mean safe from elements, should be yes. I don't think it's supposed to rain, and there is a very long covered drop-off area in front of Hynes...it's like an airport terminal. If you mean safe as in, safe from you losing your grip on your tower and watching it tumble down a long stairway as it shatters into a million pieces, I'm not sure. (I know there is an escalator, but that image has haunted me for several weeks now).

If you bring your suitcase, are you expecting to keep it in BYOC, or bring it back to your nearby hotel room? My problem is that I live here and don't have a nearby room, and am worried that if I brought a suitcase, I would have nowhere to put it after unloading.

Hopefully BigRed will chime in with some wisdom soon. If Hynes has those suitcase roller things that they have in hotels, that would really simplify matters.

Exactly: I have no idea how this is going to work. There's no parking right outside, and I'm certainly not taking the T with a computer and monitor in-hand.

I guess the only other option would be to park somewhere nearby and walk with the computer and monitor. It would be nice if there was somewhere where we could stop outside and unload.

Brian

kstrike155 on
    edited March 2010
    Cab?

Taxi?

Horse Drawn Carriage?

Just a few ideas. Also I've found Towels make a great screen protector with some tape / rope to fasten them... and as towels they are infinitely useful.

openfly on
    edited March 2010
    openfly wrote: »
    Cab?

Taxi?

Horse Drawn Carriage?

Just a few ideas. Also I've found Towels make a great screen protector with some tape / rope to fasten them... and as towels they are infinitely useful.

Have you been to Boston? It would be cheaper to park somewhere for a month than take a cab anywhere.

Brian

kstrike155 on
    edited March 2010
    openfly wrote: »
    Cab?

Taxi?

Horse Drawn Carriage?

Have you been to Boston? It would be cheaper to park somewhere for a month than take a cab anywhere.

Brian

The meter starts at $15. It's ridiculous. I only take cabs in the most dire of circumstances nowadays.

As I always do when I move, I will be packing my monitor in the original packaging, which has the eminently useful plastic handle. But even with that, it's not like I can hold that in one hand and have my tower under my other arm. (I keep thinking about it toppling over. Oh, the horror.)

Actually, since I have the "Being dropped off by girlfriend" ability, I'll just bring them in one at a time I guess.

Ganno on
    jaafe2a95twb.png
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The cabs aren't that bad. For $16 I can get from downtown to Allston and I doubt any of you are going that far.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2010
    The cabs aren't that bad. For $16 I can get from downtown to Allston and I doubt any of you are going that far.

Allston is 3 miles down the street...

Try coming from Revere.
    Ganno wrote: »
    The meter starts at $15. It's ridiculous. I only take cabs in the most dire of circumstances nowadays.

As I always do when I move, I will be packing my monitor in the original packaging, which has the eminently useful plastic handle. But even with that, it's not like I can hold that in one hand and have my tower under my other arm. (I keep thinking about it toppling over. Oh, the horror.)

Actually, since I have the "Being dropped off by girlfriend" ability, I'll just bring them in one at a time I guess.

I, too, will be using the original packaging for my monitor. I will probably use a rolling suitcase for the tower, and then a backpack for everything else (cables, mouse, etc.).

I could have my fiancée drive me, but she won't come at 2AM to pick me up. :P

Brian

kstrike155 on
  • FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just walked the halls of the Hynes center. They are going to have to work all night to get ready for tomorrow but the BYOC room is set and the freeplay area (200 PC's) are already running. Get your deodorant ready...

If you are staying in the Hilton Back Bay all you need to do is go across the street, walk into the Sheraton, turn left past the door and the center is a short walk ahead with entrance on the left. You should be able to wheel your PC (if you have a hand cart) all the way to registration without having to navigate any stairs (either go up the escalator or take the elevator to the 2d floor).

BTW...the registration room is as big as a football field...so we'll be with a few tens of thousands of our best friends...

FuzzDad on
    edited March 2010
    I don't mind paying 15 bucks to move my pc.

openfly on
    edited March 2010
    FuzzDad wrote: »
    Just walked the halls of the Hynes center. They are going to have to work all night to get ready for tomorrow but the BYOC room is set and the freeplay area (200 PC's) are already running. Get your deodorant ready...

If you are staying in the Hilton Back Bay all you need to do is go across the street, walk into the Sheraton, turn left past the door and the center is a short walk ahead with entrance on the left. You should be able to wheel your PC (if you have a hand cart) all the way to registration without having to navigate any stairs.

BTW...the registration room is as big as a football field...so we'll be with a few tens of thousands of our best friends...

If you are a regular attendee you wernt supposed to be up past first floor :P

BigRed on
    edited March 2010
    We were able to walk the entire building...the guards let us in to the information desk. I was worried about hauling all our gear (I have a huge case & 24" monitor) so as I did when I was a scout pilot in the army...scouted out the path I would have to take to get our gear up to the room.

FuzzDad on
    edited March 2010
    FuzzDad wrote: »
    We were able to walk the entire building...the guards let us in to the information desk. I was worried about hauling all our gear (I have a huge case & 24" monitor) so as I did when I was a scout pilot in the army...scouted out the path I would have to take to get our gear up to the room.

Yeah security wasnt aware right away that 3days couldnt go up to 2nd and 3rd floor.

All you gotta do with your gear is go into Hall A where reg is, take a left, go to the elevators in the corner, and go to 3rd floor. That will dump you off right in front of a table where you get your byoc badge then line up :)

BigRed on
    edited March 2010
    Remember to follow PAX_BYOC on twitter for updates and such.

BigRed on
    edited March 2010
    Hrmm...can we register at BYOC without our PC's...go get the regular registration...then go get our PC's at 12? Would be easier to stay in line to get the 1st 2K deal for the tickets.

Of course...if I read the FAQ's I'd probably find the answer...

FuzzDad on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not a BYOC expert and BigRed seems to be on the forums, but from what I understand you get the same benefits as the first 2000 in line. Same swag bag and concert wrist band.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited March 2010
    Yes all byoc get concert wristbands so dont worry about that. Come on up early :)

BigRed on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Yes all byoc get concert wristbands so dont worry about that. Come on up early :)

*whew*

The biggest reason for us to buy the BYOC tickets was for my wife and I to make sure we got concert tickets. Having a computer nearby to chill at once in a while was a bonus, but we were worried since we probably won't be there until around 1.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hoping to get there around 1:30. See you guys there!

Axon on
    edited March 2010
    How can I play in the PAX BC2 servers?

Knoland on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    just checked in at BYOC!!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
    edited March 2010
    IM HERE!... Just got called a n00b by Big Red, that's heart breaking. I thought we had something </3

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just got in the room - near the pimp black mage and mushroom cases :D Too bad they're not mine.

Axon on
  • TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's pretty funny since the BYOC swag bag has a free copy of the game.
    itzerokewl wrote: »

As it turns out I found a group. :)

Sorry mate!

Brian

TheTerribleMan on
    edited March 2010
    To connect the the LAN Battlefield BC2 servers:

Make a shortcut to your BFBC2Game executable and add -networkprotocolid paxeast to the end of it.

Open the server browser and search for PAX.

Enjoy! :)

Brian

kstrike155 on
    edited March 2010
    That's pretty funny since the BYOC swag bag has a free copy of the game.

Man that's awesome. Looks like I'll be selling my key.

kstrike155 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It really is awesome. Too bad the download speed is terrible. I was hoping to play this weekend. :)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.