As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Take shuttle from airport terminal to blue line. Take blue line to Government Station. Take green line E to Symphony.
    Thank you.

AlphaTwo on
  • cwood154cwood154 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So my group and I were getting all of our packing done tonight because we were supposed to be rolling out at 10am tomorrow (today at this point considering it's 2:30am) only to notice that I couldn't find my passport. I wasn't nervous because I checked it a short 3 months ago to make sure it wasn't expiring and just thought that I must have just filed it somewhere else.

It's now been 7 straight hours that I've been tearing my house apart looking for it. I checked everywhere, I even went to the office to make sure it wasn't in my desk there and still nothing. Now I can't sleep because I'm so stressed that I ruined the trip for my girlfriend and best friend... all I can do is wait till 7:30am to call and see if I would be eligible for a temporary passport. Anyone ever need to be assigned a temp canadian passport?

cwood154 on
  • d3c0yd3c0y Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sucks they now require a Passport to go to and from Canada for Americans. First time I went to canada, my friend got through with a social security card and a drivers license. But it seems a little different for canadians.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html

that might help. Says you only need 1 form of ID and it doesn't have to be a passport.

d3c0y on
  • anehta0890anehta0890 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    How do you enter the tournaments?!!!!???

anehta0890 on
  • maerdredmaerdred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The hall opens at 2PM Friday, when should a prudent person arrive to stand in queue?

::Edit:: Found my answer way back on page 34. Should have been smart and read the thread before posting. See Everyone Tomorrow!

For the record, my answer is "The queue room opens at 10:00 Friday."

maerdred on
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    thornburg wrote: »
    No ride-share thread?

I'm driving up from eastern PA tomorrow, returning on Monday. Got space in the car if someone in the area wants to pitch in for gas. (Yes, I realize I should have posted this here like two weeks ago. I'm a procrastinator).

someone just started a thread for this - throw it on up there :)

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking, will the Keynote be the best time to hit the expo floor for swag? I'd think it would be the emptiest time of the whole weekend.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited March 2010
    I didn't see this anywhere... Is there a pre-pax way to obtain the passes the day/night before similar to the system they had at PAX09?

AlphaTwo on
  • Jon007Jon007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there any chance there may be ping pong tables here? That would certainly be a lot of fun, but then again I can see it taking away from the other games too. Just a thought.

Jon007 on
  • CelestialAxisCelestialAxis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm having trouble finding an answer to this, I really did try to search for it, I swear! So I'm sorry if this is redundant.

I've never been to PAX, or any convention really, and I don't know what you do about food. Is there any sold there? Can you bring food? Or do you just go out to eat for every meal? Also, are there places to refill a water bottle, and is a water bottle allowed? I'm trying to lose weight and don't want these 3 days to completely derail me. We live just north of Boston so we can go home every night, and bring food from home if it's allowed.

Sorry that was so long. Can anyone help me out with this info? Thanks!

CelestialAxis on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I pack small snacks like carrot sticks & cookies/crackers and will sometimes pack a sandwich & bottled water. There are water fountains around the convention center so don't stress, and the food court prices at the mall are reasonable. There are also small convenience stores and a large Shaw's near the convention center where you can buy bottled water at a good price.

Plus, the Shaw's has a pretty good salad bar.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2010
    Is there any sold there?
    I'd assume so, it seems pretty standard for any convention center, prices, however, maybe questionable. D:
    Can you bring food? Or do you just go out to eat for every meal?
    I don't see why you can't bring your own food.
    Also, are there places to refill a water bottle
    I'd imagine yes, and I'd be surprised otherwise
    and is a water bottle allowed?
    NO. (And by no, I mean yes. OF COURSE, water bottle is allowed. We probably don't want anyone to dehydrate...)
    I'm trying to lose weight and don't want these 3 days to completely derail me. We live just north of Boston so we can go home every night, and bring food from home if it's allowed.

Sorry that was so long. Can anyone help me out with this info? Thanks!

AlphaTwo on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I pack small snacks like carrot sticks & cookies/crackers and will sometimes pack a sandwich & bottled water. There are water fountains around the convention center so don't stress, and the food court prices at the mall are reasonable. There are also small convenience stores and a large Shaw's near the convention center where you can buy bottled water at a good price.

Plus, the Shaw's has a pretty good salad bar.

I'd be wary of salad bars and the like

via @Official_PAX:

All jokes aside, we just heard norovirus is spreading in Bos. Area colleges. Purell ineffective but WASHING HANDS helps-Avoid the salad bar!

Usagi on
    edited March 2010
    This has been a seasonal thing in Boston for pretty much most of the winter. It's mostly concentrated on the campuses. I still get the salad bar at MIT though.

But this reminds me that I didn't get us any healthy munchies for the apartment :/ Or bottled water :/

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2010
    Well sometimes water bottles are banned at concerts and such to prevent people bringing booze in them. Legitimate concern. =)

CelestialAxis on
  • orbtronikorbtronik Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    does anyone know what the picture policy is on the show floor? I rather not lug around my dslr if all the game companies have a no photog rule.

orbtronik on
    Boosh!- and or kakow!
    edited March 2010
    Well sometimes water bottles are banned at concerts and such to prevent people bringing booze in them. Legitimate concern. =)

if you're worried about not having anywhere to fill up your water bottle (or waiting in lines and not having time to fill it up) you might think about getting a camelbak. mine holds 70 oz of water (enough for a whole day) and I can just throw it in my backpack and wear the straw out.

I'm also trying to eat healthy at pax so I'm bringing lots of prebagged stuff: ziplocks full of baby carrots and pretzel sticks, fresh fruit - apples, bananas, fiber one granola bars. then I'll just eat small amounts at mealtimes b/c I'll be doing the healthy snacking thing throughout the day.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    edited March 2010
    orbtronik wrote: »
    does anyone know what the picture policy is on the show floor? I rather not lug around my dslr if all the game companies have a no photog rule.
    Usually A-OK. There were some exceptions, depending on who it is. PAX09, it was pretty much free game for everyone, except for the BRINK demo, and the Red Dead Redemption demo.

AlphaTwo on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think this might have been asked before, but if we get to pax right when the doors on Friday, will we be swagless, or will there be plenty of swag bags to go around?

Geod on
  • jessejesse Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Please help! I'm at the airport past custo
    s and have officially lost my pass. What are my options? Can I pay to have it replaced? Surely someon has lost their pass before. I'm freaking out a bit.

Thanks so much.

jesse on
  • jessejesse Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Sorry for the typos I'm on my iPhone. Even a phone number I can call? I can't find any info.

jesse on
  • Ferris007Ferris007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you still have the confirmation email when you first registered? I think that would be your only salvation at this point.

Ferris007 on
  • LukelightningLukelightning Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm new to conventions... will lanyards be distributed or do I have to scrounge one up?

Lukelightning on
    edited March 2010
    VisionOfClarity on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    orbtronik wrote: »
    Usually A-OK. There were some exceptions, depending on who it is. PAX09, it was pretty much free game for everyone, except for the BRINK demo, and the Red Dead Redemption demo.

Thanks, I had the same question as orb. Any video cameras restrictions?

wonderpug on
    edited March 2010
    For Locals,

South Station to the Con, would be Red line to Park Street then Green Line to Hynes, Correct?
    Looking at taking the Boston Express from NH instead of driving. That would be a pretty short T trip I think.

maerdred on
  • mykeyIImykeyII Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    maerdred wrote: »
    For Locals,

South Station to the Con, would be Red line to Park Street then Green Line to Hynes, Correct?
    Looking at taking the Boston Express from NH instead of driving. That would be a pretty short T trip I think.
    You got it. You can also take Red Line to Park, Green Line to Prudential, and then cut through the mall. Either way should work.

mykeyII on
  • Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For Locals,

Correct, though I can't speak as to the Boston Express.

Andrew Tatro on
    edited March 2010
    For Locals,

Correct, though I can't speak as to the Boston Express.
    Looks like if I leave Nashua at 7:30 the bus gets in to South Station at 9:00, giving me time to get to the train and I should show up at the con well before 10:00. Plus, the bus has free wifi, which my car does not. :mrgreen:

maerdred on
    edited March 2010
    I'm also trying to eat healthy at pax so I'm bringing lots of prebagged stuff: ziplocks full of baby carrots and pretzel sticks, fresh fruit - apples, bananas, fiber one granola bars. then I'll just eat small amounts at mealtimes b/c I'll be doing the healthy snacking thing throughout the day.

Great ideas, thanks! Going food shopping tonight so I'll pick some of that stuff up. South Beach Diet high protein cereal bars are great too.

CelestialAxis on
    edited March 2010
    I'm new to conventions... will lanyards be distributed or do I have to scrounge one up?

there will be one in the swag bag
    Great ideas, thanks! Going food shopping tonight so I'll pick some of that stuff up. South Beach Diet high protein cereal bars are great too.

they are! i dig them too.

browncoatbeth on

edited March 2010
    For Locals,

And as a reminder, be sure to use the plastic Charlie Card that came with your PAX mailing. The subway fare is a bit cheaper if you use that instead of getting a paper card printed out at the kiosk.

If you don't have the Charlie Card that PA sent you, there's usually some laying around near the ticket machines free for you to grab (and I know for sure that they always have them laying out at South Station).

wonderpug on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Less than a day away.. and still the last announcement was 03-18-10.. they must not be excited about this :(...
    BUT I AM!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2010
    nah, they're excited. gabe just wrote about how excited he was on the pa blog on monday: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/3/22/

browncoatbeth on

edited March 2010
    Gab'es been tweeting today.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited March 2010
    Okay new question (sorry, PAX n00b here)...

Tournaments. You just sign up there, or do you have to pre-register?

CelestialAxis on
  • SrolSrol Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, really epic fail here.

I'm flying from New Mexico to Boston with a lyover in Chicago. As soon as I get off the plane at O'Hare, I got a voicemail from the hotel I stayed in last night in Albuquerque saying I had left an envelope in my room. My 3 day Pax badge was in there. I haqve a friend in Albuquerque who is going to try to overnight the badge to Boston, but its hard to get overnight mail out of New Mexico some times. I have all my confirmation info in my email, and I emaild tghe pax_questions email address, is there anything else I should be doing besides cursing me flagrant stupidity?

Srol on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

There is a Trader Joe's across from the convention center.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Srol wrote: »
    Okay, really epic fail here.

I'm flying from New Mexico to Boston with a lyover in Chicago. As soon as I get off the plane at O'Hare, I got a voicemail from the hotel I stayed in last night in Albuquerque saying I had left an envelope in my room. My 3 day Pax badge was in there. I haqve a friend in Albuquerque who is going to try to overnight the badge to Boston, but its hard to get overnight mail out of New Mexico some times. I have all my confirmation info in my email, and I emaild tghe pax_questions email address, is there anything else I should be doing besides cursing me flagrant stupidity?

I'm surprised the Albuquerque hotel won't simply FedEx OverNight it to the Boston hotel, considering that both cities do have major airports. Have you tried that route?

Andrew Tatro on
    edited March 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

There is a Trader Joe's across from the convention center.

There's also a Shaw's (regular grocery store) just a short walk away by the Prudential Center.

Lots of burrito/wrap places like Qdoba and Boloco in the area as well that have healthy options, if you're looking for take-out food. In the Prudential Center Mall there's also an Au Bon Pain (bakery-type-place) that has healthy sandwiches and really healthy soups, the aforementioned Qdoba, and a fast food Indian place that has some not-horrible-for-you food.

wonderpug on
This discussion has been closed.