As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll. ONLY WIRED Internet @ Shearton & Marriott!

123457»

• KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh jeez... Sheraton regrets :/ speaking of Sheraton, will the bridge doors be open? Or do you have to walk out & around?

The Sheraton is connected to the convention center.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not too upset about the Sheraton not having wireless, but I'm annoyed at the reservation system.

I requested a double occupancy room with two double beds, and when I called today they said they had me down as single occupancy with a single bed. I know the information form says that there is no guarantee on which type of room you get even if you request it based on hotel availability, but the hotel was telling me that they never even received any of my specifications.

I sent an email to the reservation company and saw it get forwarded around for a while, but haven't heard back anything definitive.

I'm glad I called ahead rather than just wait until we got there.

Asiina on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So what should those of us who are staying in the Sheraton do about internet access?

Be prepared to connect with your own ethernet cable.
    If your device does not have an ethernet port but it does have wireless, then maybe you can connect your own wireless router and use that.

I am not a networking wizard though.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    So what should those of us who are staying in the Sheraton do about internet access?

Be prepared to connect with your own ethernet cable.
    If your device does not have an ethernet port but it does have wireless, then maybe you can connect your own wireless router and use that.

I am not a networking wizard though.

If they have something like portfast enabled on their network then you won't be able to plug your own switch/router into your room's network drop. Portfast will cause the port to disable if a switch is detected, prevents overutilization or rogue devices (like wifi access points).

I haven't stayed at a Sheraton in a while so I don't know if they implement this. Its rare to find in a hotel/public access scenario, but I have found it once or twice.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do they charge for wired access?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

$10 a day.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited March 2010
    mentok1982 wrote: »

$10 a day.

Oof.

I think I'll just use my cell phone's 2" screen for the weekend.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any one staying at the Residence Inn Caimbridge?

HunterAngel on
    Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone looked into late checkout on Sunday? Having to check out at noon when we will be there till 5 or so will be a pain, especially if we have no where to keep our stuff.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can request a late checkout for a fee that will vary by hotel.

That said, most hotels will hold your luggage after you've checked out.

Asiina on
    edited March 2010
    When I made my reservation with Sheraton I asked about late check out, and was told it all depends on if they have my room lined up for someone else. So I have to ask when I check in, but may not get it.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah... never thought of late checkout... Gotta find a place to park and everything. Not to mention getting up doubly early/staying up later to packup :/, bummer.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In March 2009 I booked a room at the Days Inn Downtown Seattle for the duration of my stay for PAX 09. Having done this, for months I planned and anticipated my PAX 09 experience beyond hotel considerations. Then, the weekend before PAX arrived. Deciding that I should call my hotel just to confirm my reservation, I dialed their number and got some dude on the other end that did not respond with the words "Days Inn Downtown Seattle." At first I thought I had misunderstood. The conversation went roughly as such:

Me: "Ah, I'm sorry, isn't this the Days Inn?"
    Some dude: "No, they closed in April. We're a new outfit."
    Me: :shock: "So, uhm, you guys have my reservation, right?"
    Some dude: "Let me check... Nope."
    Me: ". . . Are you going to accommodate me?"
    Some dude: "No."

So yeah. The Days Inn had closed, and corporate never bothered to call everyone with a reservation to tell them that their reservation was kaput.

Cue me responding with some nasty words about not calling everyone who had a reservation, followed thereafter by my frantically running to the room share thread and messaging about 20 people in search of a room with some other attendees, which I was fortunate enough to obtain. In addition, I had to call all the other guys who were going to room with me and tell them that they need to immediately seek accommodations elsewhere. I don't know whether they found accommodations or not. This sucked.

The moral of the story is: Call your hotel right now, this week, and confirm your reservation. For all of you who are room sharing with other forumers here, call the person who reserved the room and ask them to confirm the reservation. For that matter, call your transportation provider (Amtrak, your airline, your airports) and confirm that your travel arrangements are still in order. Otherwise you may find yourself stranded, your PAX investments rapidly circling the drain.
    Also: Book with Days Inn at your own peril. They'll leave your ass stranded without warning.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good advice man.

Axon on
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    The moral of the story is: Call your hotel right now, this week, and confirm your reservation. For all of you who are room sharing with other forumers here, call the person who reserved the room and ask them to confirm the reservation. For that matter, call your transportation provider (Amtrak, your airline, your airports) and confirm that your travel arrangements are still in order. Otherwise you may find yourself stranded, your PAX investments rapidly circling the drain.

CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

After Part 1 of my horrific situation with Holiday Inn Brookline, which I resolved not two weeks ago. I decided to call again just to "make sure."

Lo and behold, my reservation had mysteriously been cancelled! Serious facepalm.

Fortunately, they were able to reinstate it without any penalty, but you can bet your ass I will be the crazy person that calls the hotel every single day until I check in, and even then I will confirm with them exactly when I am checking out.

This is getting ridiculous.

Angrypasta on
    edited March 2010
    I have printed out a bunch of different parking garage locations for use at the Sheraton, rate calculators say it will be around 60 - 70 Fri - Sun, hopefully one of them will work.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just a FYI - The Lenox has rooms left, TZoo promo code has expired. Only rooms left have 1 king sized bed, and are $350 a night. 2 people can share the bed, and one can use a roll away if they have any left.

macrogeek on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have printed out a bunch of different parking garage locations for use at the Sheraton, rate calculators say it will be around 60 - 70 Fri - Sun, hopefully one of them will work.

Hey would you mind posting that info? Thanks.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • HoofrogHoofrog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just got a call from Priceline about my hotel reservation I made November 11, 2009 that Sheraton Boston overbooked and I lost my reservation. Priceline moved me to the Westin Copley but if you booked with Sheraton you may want to give them a call.

Hoofrog on
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

Basically went to Yelp and looked up parking in the area.

Anyone know if the pool at the Sheraton will be open?

Can we expect a cosplay swim event?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

Basically went to Yelp and looked up parking in the area.

Anyone know if the pool at the Sheraton will be open?

Can we expect a cosplay swim event?

Costume thread has had mention of mermaids in the pool, dunno if they are following through with it or not though.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • DireKittyDireKitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hoofrog wrote: »
    Just got a call from Priceline about my hotel reservation I made November 11, 2009 that Sheraton Boston overbooked and I lost my reservation. Priceline moved me to the Westin Copley but if you booked with Sheraton you may want to give them a call.

Yeah I got the same call. I had just talked to the Sheraton yesterday and they had my reservation too... so people may want to check today as well. I also booked last year. I heard the Westin had nicer beds though.

DireKitty on
This discussion has been closed.