As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ted Kennedy Memorial [Healthcare] Thread - This is a Big Fucking Deal

1626364656668»

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't bullets lose significant momentum when they travel through stuff? I saw a Mythbusters where bullets lost all momentum like 5 feet after being shot into water.

Qingu on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they fired the bullet straight up, it will come down at its terminal velocity or near it, but won't be going any faster than if you simply dropped it from its peak height. Its the same idea as throwing a penny of the Empire State Building. Its highly unlikely for the speed to be fast enough to kill someone. The way someone can die from a bullet being shot at an upward angle such that it retains enough of its horizontal velocity when it comes down to earth.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    New thread title - "Where we are all ballistics experts"

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Former Col. Casey coulda done it.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am more outraged at what I see as a sheer disregard for Occam's razor by you people than I am at the prospect of someone shooting a bullet through an empty building's window as a form of domestic terrorism!

Qingu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Like, a sniper firing with the shitiest handgun known to man, or something.

He used a Klobb from GoldenEye?!
    Yes, yes. It's a submachine gun. I know. I just always hated that thing.

There's no way the Klobb could pierce a windowpane.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Don't bullets lose significant momentum when they travel through stuff? I saw a Mythbusters where bullets lost all momentum like 5 feet after being shot into water.

Firing into water is quite different from piercing two or maybe three layers of 1,5mm thick glass.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes but I seriously, seriously doubt that 1 pane of glass was enough to keep it from going through a paper thin set of window blinds, although obviously I'm no expert.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Seriously. A Klobb couldn't shoot its way out of a paper bag.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes, however the resistance given by a fraction of an inch of glass is vastly less than 60+ inches of water.

And I loved that episode.

Watching them fire a 50 caliber sniper rifle into a swimming pool never gets old.

Almost as much fun as watching them vaporize a cement truck with high explosives.

They really have the best job in the world.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I just watched an episode of Human Target where the guy shot a gun underwater and killed a guy on the edge of the pool.

I love the physics in this show.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gosling wrote: »

Seriously. A Klobb couldn't shoot its way out of a paper bag.

Damn you kevin Lobb!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yes but I seriously, seriously doubt that 1 pane of glass was enough to keep it from going through a paper thin set of window blinds, although obviously I'm no expert.

Couldn't the bullet have knocked the blinds out of the way rather than penetrate them? I mean, they're more flexible and less immobile than a pane of glass.

Though, I admit I'm not a ballistics expert. Or a physics expert for that matter.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »

I just watched an episode of Human Target where the guy shot a gun underwater and killed a guy on the edge of the pool.

Well, you could kill him through the shockwave the shot creates and sends through the water. But not from the bullet itself.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Is Mark Wahlberg a tea bagger?

I actually drove by his childhood home yesterday. And he's a Massachusetts Dem but this is OT.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Water creates tons of drag, and it's a continuous force. Windows are thin and brittle, and represent one point of impact to slow a bullet.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am more outraged at what I see as a sheer disregard for Occam's razor by you people than I am at the prospect of someone shooting a bullet through an empty building's window as a form of domestic terrorism!

I just think it's weird that you're only questioning that one specific peice of the report, and not curious about what info we don't have. Like the state of the round after passing through the window, the caliber, any kind of actual expert talking about the force it would be entering the window, what kind of glass (in a first floor window, I wouldn't think it would be reinforced, but who knows), etc.

I'm not an expert or anything, but having fired a few different types of guns in my life I personally think it sounds much weirder that a bullet would go through the window and land like it sounds like it landed on the floor if it was fired directly at the window on purpose. If it was fired from so great a distance, and was such a low powered weapon that it lost all effective momentum after the glass, I question how the person firing it was able to hit the window at all in one shot. If there were a bunch of rounds found outside that hit the wall next to the window, then of course that's what I would assume happned. But one shot perfectly lined up to hit the window, with the distance and/or type of round/weapon allowing it to lose enough momentum to fall harmlessly to the floor? Yes, that sounds more strange to me.

Once again, I might be wrong, and I'll wait for the ballistics report, but that's why it sounds like the random occurrence is more likely.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »

Well, you could kill him through the shockwave the shot creates and sends through the water. But not from the bullet itself.

No you are reading the situation backwards.

The gun was fired underwater and killed someone who was standing not in the water at the edge of the pool. So there was no shockwave reaching the dude because he was not in the water.

Anyways the point is it's an awesome show and I don't care if it was possible or not, that was really cool.

Khavall on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is America, so random bullets flying through windows isn't unheard of.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There is obviously much more information we don't have and the two sentences of that police report would inherently limit the certainty of any conclusion we might draw.

What I am responding to is this jumping to the conclusion that the bullet was randomly fired and arced downward through the window.

Qingu on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Couldn't the bullet have knocked the blinds out of the way rather than penetrate them? I mean, they're more flexible and less immobile than a pane of glass.

Though, I admit I'm not a ballistics expert. Or a physics expert for that matter.

Possible, but the bullet was on the floor like a foot away. So either the blinds are bullet proof or the glass absorbed most of the velocity.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wow this thread turned awful dumb

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Seriously. The hedge CSI stuff is pointless.

With or without it, Cantor is a tool that is blaming the victim.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Smartly dumb, more like. Or dumbly smart.

Anyway, so, like, yeah.

Healthcare! It's carey!

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is obviously much more information we don't have and the two sentences of that police report would inherently limit the certainty of any conclusion we might draw.

What I am responding to is this jumping to the conclusion that the bullet was randomly fired and arced downward through the window.

That is not a conclusion that the people in this thread came to, it was a conclusion that the police who actually saw the scene came to. That is the situation that is related to us in the report. Essentially you're saying the police are jumping to conclusions, when they have the full facts, and we don't. That's what seems weird about what you're arguing.

Edit: and yeah wow super off-topic, I'll stop!

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll make a new thread, we need one anyway. Give me a few minutes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll make a new thread, we need one anyway. Give me a few minutes.
    OBJECTION

I demand yeas and nays.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Next thing you know, a black democrat will attack a poor innocent white girl from Pennsylvania and carve a backwards B into her face, for Barack.. or oBama... or... healthcare.. Bill...

Locust76 on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Qingu's right. We should probably wait until a more complete report is released.

It would be an awful weird coincidence that a bullet could land in the very office used by a guy rallying against HCR during a string of violent threats, and while weirder coincidences have happened before, we shouldn't jump to any conclusions until more is known.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/White-Powder-Package-Sent-to-Congressman-Weiners-Office-89136827.html
    Updated 4:01 PM EDT, Thu, Mar 25, 2010

Law enforcement officials say a package with white powder was sent to Congressman Weiner's Queens office today.

A preliminary review shows the letter in part complained about the historic health care legislation passed by Congress this week, according to the source.

Weiner's office is on the fifth floor of a building on Kew Gardens Road in Queens. Law enforcement officials said a doctor's office and a law office on the floor were among those evacuated as a precaution. Nine people were inside Weiner's office at the time.

In a statement, Weiner acknowledged that his office received a suspicious envelope and said his prime concern is the safety of his staff and others in the area.

"Earlier today an envelope containing white powder and a threatening letter was delivered to my community office in Kew Gardens. The NYPD was immediately alerted and have responded appropriately by sending a Haz-Mat team," the statement read. "Any questions related to their response should be directed to the NYPD. My first priority is the safety of my staff and neighbors, and the authorities are currently taking steps to investigate and resolve the situation."

The NYPD, the FBI and other emergency management officials are at the scene as a precaution, spokesmen for the agencies say. Weiner's Kew Gardens office will be closed pending the completion of the investigation. As is routine, preliminary field testing is underway to determine whether the substance is in any way hazardous. Then it will be sent to a lab for further detailed testing as a precaution. Officials say most often, these letters are hoaxes.

These people are patriots.

Free Republic'd.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    That is not a conclusion that the people in this thread came to, it was a conclusion that the police who actually saw the scene came to.
    Unless it's not and the report is poorly worded, which is my conclusion.

Qingu on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can anyone explain what the AG's are actually suing over?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0324/Q-A-with-a-state-attorney-general-fatal-flaws-in-healthcare-bill/%28page%29/2
    Q: Do you hope to get this to the Supreme Court sooner rather than later. Some of the provisions are already going into effect.

A: One thing I want to make clear is our lawsuit targets very specific provisions. We don’t have constitutional concerns with many aspects of the bill. It’s clearly within the federal power to regulate healthcare insurance, for example…. This is about specific provisions … and as to how the federal government is expanding its power through those provisions. So these are questions that should be resolved, but those provisions which take effect this year are addressed in our lawsuit. Some of the provisions don’t take effect until 2014.

Q: But it has to do with how this is all tied together, does it not?

A: Yes. The individual insurance mandate doesn’t take effect until 2014 – so that if you are right, the Congress doesn’t implement them for four years. So there is time here ... to calm down and allow the process of checks and balances to do its work.

What is he referring to that takes place this year?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Unless the vandal was a computer, the odds of someone intentionally firing a round and hitting something on the downward arc is nil. Rounds can travel long distances, it was likely from an unrelated incident.
    What are the odds of anyone's window being shattered from a bullet arcing downwards from being fired into the air? Has that happened, ever?

I'm going to believe the police's report over some guy on the internet's wild conjecture.

I don't know Richmond very well; are there any taller buildings around Cantor's office? Or, was there a helicopter around there dispensing bullets and folksy winking gibberish about failure to stop socialism?

Those are the only two scenarios I can think of for a direct shot.
    cantor.jpg

Looks like a couple multi-story buildings around, but no sky scrapers, and it doesn't look like anything high enough to get an angle that let's you shoot the window without penetrating the blinds.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The staffers who wrote Obamacare slipped in a hidden gem: They exempted themselves, Obama, and his staff from the new regulations. Should this exemption be repealed?

Why do I not believe this?

urahonky on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The new regulations wouldnt apply to obama or his family anyway, they're quite wealthy and can affoard any insurance

override367 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Isn't all of his stuff in a blind trust anyway and therefore (in theory) wouldn't know where he actually lies in terms of income?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

To apply Occam's razor first we need to know the number of guns in America, then the number of those that are fired in the air every week and now often. Then we can work out building densities in the area's that guns are most likely fired into the air, then frontage of buildings with glass, then factor in the number of people who fail to report and BAM! before you know it it turns out that 17 windows are broken in America every second by falling bullets.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, guys, there's a new HCR thread, so let's not post in this one.

Captain Carrot on