As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New around here - some art

archipelagoarchipelago Registered User new member
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone, I am a 20 year old artist from Stockholm.

I am a big fan of Penny Arcade, and there seems to be some nice art around here so I thought I would join in :)

I study at a traditional art school here in Stockholm, with a heavy focus on drawing from life, but I love videogame esthetics and I hope to get work in the industry somehow. Working at Valve would be my dream!

So here is some recent stuff, I hope you like it!

Beyond Good & Evil fanart, one of my favorite games! I tried to reinterpret the art style a little bit. lets hope the sequel gets done!
Archi-2002.jpg

an alien nightclub!
villealienclub.jpg

A bald spacemarine, the best kind of spacemarine.
villespacemarine.jpg

A homeworld/star wars inspired spacebattle.
Archi-2015.jpg

a jungle monster.
Archi-1937.jpg

an A2 sized graphite drawing done for fun with some small digital touchups.
villemuse.jpg

A study of a plaster cast done at school, it is done in charcoal and took about 4 weeks.
Archi-2012.jpg

and another cast study, this time with white chalk and charcoal on toned paper, this one took 5 weeks.
cast5.jpg

I am also having 2 exhibitions here in Stockholm if anyone interested is in the area, more info on my website: http://www.ville-ericsson.se/

cheers!

archipelago on

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh my goooooood
    your traditional work is stunning and i adore your color choices in your digital stuff
    very vibrant, interesting and solid
    welcome to the forums, i hope you stick around, there's a chat thread where you can kinda get to know people :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hope this isn't just a hit and run post, because ths is really good stuff.
    Your brain should definately consider joining the hive mind.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Holy hell, it's like your traditional stuff just inserted it's magical dick into my ear and fucked my mind.

Stick around. Or else.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That squid alien in the nightclub looks amazing!

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hey cool Ive seen you post on Gorillartfare. Good to have you here

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    holy fuckballs, i thought those last two images were photographs with texture overlays

and the alien nightclub is coloured so well that i think i had a little orgasm

you have SKILLS and i am in awe

Fletcher on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes what Fletch said.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    StrokerXStrokerX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    some really great lighting and I really dig that cyborg. Good stuff.

StrokerX on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Welcome!
    With the chick in the foreground in the second image posted, i'd fix up the direction of the texture on her glove. It makes her arm look odly twisted. I think some of the curves are going in the wrong direction.

crap you're only 20 and you are this awesome! Imagine how awesome you'll be at 30!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Your traditional studies are candy for my eyes <3 Welcome!

Lexxy on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cooool

PROX on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Dang, very nice stuff in here. Yet another talented young dude that makes me feel old. :P

Couple things I would say, though: It feels like you might be shying away from darker values in your imaginative stuff in an effort to retain local color/detail. Whereas in the cast drawings, you have a lot of impact going on because you're pushing the dark values a lot, and you get areas like the side of the face being blended into the head's cast shadow, losing the outline for sake of realism/dramatic effect. I think bringing that sort of effect from the cast drawings into the illustrations will help punch them up to the next level.

For example, on the alien bar illustration, it's nice that you've spent the time to work out the design of that stuff under the table, but given the lighting scenario, it would probably be pushed back into shadow a lot more by the table top, and you could probably get more impact with it by just hinting at it's form with some highlights poking out. Similarly, it's nice that you've worked out a floor pattern, but on the far left you could easily lose the floor and the base of the seat into a darker value. Beyond just being more realistic, losing areas through value also is a good way to drive the audience's eye towards the areas that tell the story, rather than distracting them from it by driving focus towards areas that may be neat by themselves, but mostly irrelevant in terms of story/composition.

The other thing is that your faces seem a bit more polished than the rest of the work in the illustrations, whether that's due to you just like spending more time working on them, or you've got better reference for them than the rest of the piece, or you're just more experienced drawing them, I dunno. In any case, it's not a deal breaker- the rest is still really good- but it's something to be aware of going forward. Bringing it up to the next level I think is just going to be a matter of making sure to get good reference materials and just time and experience. Beyond that you seem to know what you're doing, so I've no doubt you'll get there pretty quickly. :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The bar scene didn't strike me so much as the space scene, as the contrast in space is usually amped like WHOA.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    archipelagoarchipelago Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome and the kind replies!

Angel-of-Bacon - spot on! working with values like that is definitely something I would like to learn, especially how Sargent and Zorn and those cats handled darker areas in their paintings. it can be a bit harder if you are working straight from your head to come up with those kinds of lighting situations, but yeah, it is something I will try to work on!

I finished my first oil painting recently, I will have a photo up asap, might take a while though!

cheers.

archipelago on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fantastic.

rts on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Very solid observational skills.

The illustration stuff is nice. Nitpicky little issues in general. If you want really fine-toothed critique I would say to pick one or two for us to look at, otherwise keep posting more.

One little flavor thing I would say though, is the space marine concept's proportions bother me a little. His trunk is so broad that his arms start to seem almost dwarfish. I want so badly for his arms to be a bit elongated and heavier, slightly gorilla-like to balance him out.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great stuff!

In a little quick critique, you might want to start paying more attention to different materials. Pretty much all of your illustrations have the same matte clay like material. Throwing in more specular or reflection here and there would go a long way to sell these illustrations.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That has to be some of the nicest pencil rendering I've ever seen.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting broken images.... I wish I could see these things :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus shit, that plaster cast study is amazing

Uh, just a note, the construction in your digital work could use some tweaking. A lot of the gesture in the bar scene doesn't look quite natural.

Tam on
  • Options
    AlexandrosAlexandros Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Man, the jungle monster reminds me of Watchmen

Alexandros on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just had to say regarding the first plaster cast study, when I scrolled through and initially saw it I thought I was looking at the reference.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    3dguy33dguy3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, this stuff is amazing!
    Thanks for sharing!
    :)

3dguy3 on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I lurk here pretty often, because it helps me get through my work day and I must say this stuff is pretty amazing. I used to do art back when I was younger, but I stopped around 15 or 16. I want MOAR.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whats up with all the grain in the plaster study images? Pictures? Can't be scanned, even shitty scanners don't induce that much grain (if any).

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm guessing it's just the grain of the paper, coarser papers tend to show a lot when using charcoals.

Chilly on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Could be the case. Jpeg compression is messing with it too. Idk. Doesn't REALLY matter.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been lurking for quite a while, and I just registered to say that this is absolutely stunning work. Well done. This forum has tons of talent.

SkyTurnsRed on