As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Popular characters that you just aren't fond of.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Mammomax is totally dead, man.
    And the Marvel U is a better place for it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anything and everything Hulk related, except she hulk sometimes.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm shocked that anyone would pull out the "Superman is indestructible therefore boring" bit here in GV of all places. I mean really. He's so very killable, and it doesn't require kryptonite or a red sun to do it boys and girls!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This thread reminds me of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance thread back in G&T a little while ago, what with all the "Superman's boring lol" bullshit. If any of you fuckers start talking about how Batman is awesome because he's "OMG, like, really real 'cause he's got no powerz!!!" you will wake up less one testicle than you went to bed with.

Honestly, Kingdom Come, Birthright, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For the Man who has Everything, the current Action Comics/Superman run, Secret Identity, Superman for All Seasons... have you read any of these, people?

Optimism isn't necessarily boring, nor is an especially powerful character.

Sorry to rant, but Christ almighty...

Kingdom Come, Birthright, and Action Comics #841-843 made me like Superman. I think that if the character isn't specifically meant to be unlikeable, whether you like them or not will fall directly to the writer. This is probably why it took me a while to come up with some heroes I don't like.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't like Captain Marvel.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like most of the characters alot of people are listing.
    Cable? Rad.
    Cyclops? Awesome.
    Jean Grey? More please.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited April 2007
    Although I admittedly don't know too much about him, I find the Silver Surfer to be pretty lame.

Menace on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    Although I admittedly don't know too much about him, I find the Silver Surfer to be pretty lame.

Have you read Annihilation:Silver Surfer? Or, more recently, Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus #2? If you don't like him after those books, I can only weep for you, for your ability to appreciate awesome is beyond repair.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If you think he's just a silver guy with a surf board, this would be why. He's so much more than that. . . without a penis.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Have you read Annihilation:Silver Surfer? Or, more recently, Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus #2? If you don't like him after those books, I can only weep for you, for your ability to appreciate awesome is beyond repair.

no, I haven't really read anything about him besides seeing him make cameos in some stuff.

I will have to read Annihilation sometime then and judge him more acutely.

Menace on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't believe are sitting here posting they dislike superman because he is invulnerable which automatically makes him boring. That is just fucking retarded. Go read -
    Superman Birthright
    Superman For All Seasons
    Superman Red Son
    Superman Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow
    JLA: The Nail / Another Nail
    Kingdom Come

And go watch All of Superman The Animated Series followed by Justice League, and then Justice League Unlimited.

After that you will love Superman, but you'll still love Batman more.

As for Characters I hate hmm... I don't know if I absolutely hate anyone per se as it's really dependent on the writer but I can say I just never got around to getting into Fantastic Four, no real reason.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You would think that people would stop complaining about the indestructibility of a character that has actually died.

I didn't really like him until I started reading Action Comics. Now he's rad.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate Hal Jordan a whole bunch

Garlic Bread on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with Superman is his monthly books are largely mediocre.

deadonthestreet on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Except for New Frontier Hal, right?

deadonthestreet on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Except for New Frontier Hal, right?

I can't hate anything New Frontier

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone really likes him but Robin destroys batman for me... He just doesnt fit the image... they spend so much effort going on about how he chose bats so that he can strike fear into the hearts of evildoers... then all of a sudden it's "and this is my sidekick... ROBIN" ?!?!? oooooh, scary. A kid in slippers, speedos and a vest.

please.

Fun fact: you don't know anything about Robin!

I don't dislike Robin, but I have wondered about this myself. I'd love to know Batman's reasoning for letting Robin wear that garish costume if anyone has any insight.

Batman knows he'll never "win" his war on crime. He has a Robin so he will have a replacement when he dies.

I get that, I'm just wondering about the red, yellow, and green costume. Especially in light of the fact Batman designed his entire persona around the idea of using fear as a weapon against criminals. Robin really seems out of place in Batman's company.

Would you like to know the reason why

would you

because he was made in fucking 1940 and they thought that was awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Cable? Rad.
    Cyclops? Awesome.
    Jean Grey? More please.

Space Shuttle Awesome? Best thing ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Robin costume makes about as much sense as any costume.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    onepunchsilverageuf6.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    F4, but that's mostly because I find Torch grating and Reed to be a colossal douchebag.

EDIT: also, how do people not like The Sentry trade and the fact that he fucking ripped Carnage in half

PiptheFair on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    F4, but that's mostly because I find Torch grating and Reed to be a colossal douchebag.

EDIT: also, how do people not like The Sentry trade and the fact that he fucking ripped Carnage in half

Because that scene made no sense since Carnage was listed with the powers and appearance of Ultimate Carnage and Kassidy was no where to be seen so he isn't dead?

Bloods End on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd like the Sentry more if he were an actual character, and not just a half-formed idea. I mean, they don't actually have him interact with anyone, ever. He doesn't have an actual origin unless you completely restructure the marvel universe for the sake of one character. He's an "event" that isn't leaving.

I don't know, I guess they've committed to the original Sentry story, but it just seems so out of place. I liked it, but it's like a What-If suddenly becoming canon for no particular reason.

Also, far too much FF hate. I will always love them for the crappy paperbacks of their early adventures that my dad owns. They got rid of the most powerful shapeshifter in the marvel universe by not adventuring. That's awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hal Jordan is the hotter one >=(

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

Yeah but you try to have sex with him and you end up with a green fist in your ass

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »

Yeah but you try to have sex with him and you end up with a green fist in your ass

and....?

PiptheFair on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I started thinking about how much I fucking hate John Stewart, and it dawned on me that I hate a fuckton of black superheroes.
    The dichotomy of black superheroes is very defined for me, with Mr. Terrific, Isaiah Bradley, and Steel being totally rad and others, just...wow, they caught the shaft. Other black characters that I hate?

Falcon
    Blade
    Black Panther
    Storm (mohawk catches the exception)

I dunno, maybe I just harbor some sort of latent predjudice.

Oh, and WarMachine gets lumped into this purely because of Chuck Austen.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited April 2007
    So I started thinking about how much I fucking hate John Stewart, and it dawned on me that I hate a fuckton of black superheroes.
    The dichotomy of black superheroes is very defined for me, with Mr. Terrific, Isaiah Bradley, and Steel being totally rad and others, just...wow, they caught the shaft. Other black characters that I hate?

Falcon
    Blade
    Black Panther
    Storm (mohawk catches the exception)

I dunno, maybe I just harbor some sort of latent predjudice.

Oh, and WarMachine gets lumped into this purely because of Chuck Austen.

uh what
    Stewart is almost completely non-cliched

PiptheFair on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anybody saying they don't like Superman clearly hasn't read the Ross/Dini book "Peace on Earth".

Hell, even Batman/Superman made me fall in love with the character, and previously I'd only ever read Marvel and 2001AD boks.

ben0207 on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where at all did I mention that he was cliched? Nowhere. I just mentioned that I fucking hated him.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Cable? Rad.
    Cyclops? Awesome.
    Jean Grey? More please.

Space Shuttle Awesome? Best thing ever.

Damn straight.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't like Superman mostly because I place him as a comic book Jesus. I don't like Fantastic 4 because something about them being a family superhero team annoys the fuck outta me. The Hulk because I don't know what the fuck he is. Friend? Enemy? Universal fuck toy for super powered people? Silver Surfer because he just seems stupid and amazingly to powerful.

So yeah I basically just hate these guys on an ignorant superficial mindset.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It has to be Superman. Like mentioned before. He can do EVERYTHING! Bleeeeh.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, no he can't.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Superman fights bad guys that are on a different level than Batman's bad guys. So what if the Joker can't kill Superman with a normal bullet? His own Rogues Gallery has the ability to kill him well in hand.

Batman gets on my nerves sometimes mostly because I get tired of hearing everyone I know (non-avid comic readers) go "omg batman omg" all the time. They act like Batman is the only cool Superhero DC has, and fail to see that DC has tons of heros which are just as cool (and in some cases, like Green Arrow, have multiple similarities)

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    IMG%5Doath5xe-1.jpg

The Muffin Man on
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Blade.
    But dude, he's got all of their strengths and none of their weaknesses.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Blade.

God I hate the half-vampire concept. Hate it so hard.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey now. Blade's comics have sucked, agreed. But the adaptations (The first two movies) rocked quite hard.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Blade.

God I hate the half-vampire concept. Hate it so hard.

You can always give them all their weaknesses and none of their strengths. >.>

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg