As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

_J__J_ PedantRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World!

Official-ish stuff:

Scott Pilgrim is a Six Volume Comic Series by Bryan Lee O'Malley, published by Oni Press. Volume 6 is set to release July 20, 2010. The Movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is set to release August 13, 2010.

Scottpilgrim.ning.com: There be stuff here.

Characters:
lj_Scott.gif
Scott Pilgrim

This is Scott Pilgrim. He is the hero of the book. He use to date Knives but is now dating Ramona. He is the bassist for Sex Bob-omb. He is awesome.

lj_Ramona.gif
Ramona Flowers

This is Ramona Flowers. She is mysterious. She use to date various evil guys but is now dating Scott. She is mysterious.

lj_Knives.gif
Knives Chau
This is Knives Chau. She is crazy. She use to date Scott but is now dating Neil. She is totally in love with Scott.

lj_Wallace.gif
Wallace Wells
This is Wallace Wells. He is Scott's gay roommate. He dates guys. He is very gay.

lj_Kim.gif
Kim Pine
This is Kim Pine. She probably does not like you. She use to date Scott in High School. She is the drummer for Sex Bob-omb.

lj_Stills.gif
Steven Stills
This is Steven Stills. He is "the talented one". He sometimes dates Julie. He is the lead singer / songwriter for Sex Bob-omb.

lj_YoungNeil.gif
Young Neil
This is Young Neil. He is young. He is possibly dating Knives. He is young.

Series Summary:
Scott Pilgrim's life is so awesome. He's 23 years old, in a rock band, "between jobs," and dating a cute high school girl. Everything's fantastic until a seriously mind-blowing, dangerously fashionable, rollerblading delivery girl named Romona Flowers starts cruising through his dreams and sailing by him at parties. But the path to Ms. Flowers isn't covered in rose petals. Ramona's seven evil ex-boyfriends stand in the way between Scott and true happiness. can Scott beat the bad guys and get the girl without turning his precious little life upside-down?

Trailers:
Trailer 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57saocQSQDo

Trailer 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDq9LD7ww8&feature=player_embedded

TV Spot 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5W5o4AshrY&feature=player_embedded

MTV Movie Awards Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rae-ntplV54

International Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ZXnYvRaA4&feature=player_embedded

"A Look Inside" Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI35UDwvILU&feature=player_embedded

Remix Video "Prepare"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRtB1sxvNKs

Remix Video "Hey"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ii41eOM5Wk&feature=channel

Remix Video "Love"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGC7ufSVmnM&feature=related

Remix Video "Ramona"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20D7tWsus-M

Remix Video "Fight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4LM2v5gOm4&feature=player_embedded

Clip:

"FINISH HIM"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONai3lNQLZo&feature=player_embedded

A Little Bi-Furious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXckoloKEn0&feature=player_embedded

ZOMG Animated Shorts?!

The Music from the Trailers is awesome. I can has?!

You Can Has!

Holy Fuck! They are making a Video Game?!:
They sure are!

Xbox Live Release Date: August 25th

attractmo.de Screenshot Gallery

June 17th Screenshots - Character select screen

E3 2010 Exclusive Gameplay Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=074M_1dXSj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65GtrVg_4M&feature=player_embedded

Reviews:

Kevin Smith's Review:
“I saw Edgar’s movie, Scott Pilgrim. That movie is great. It’s spellbinding and nobody is going to understand what the fuck just hit them. I would be hard pressed to say,”he’s bringing a comic book to life!” but he is bringing a comic book to life. If you’ve ever seen Scott Pilgrim, he did a fucking damn fine job of taking essentially an anime looking book and putting it into the real world while keeping everything about that book that’s kind of cool and what pops. He describes it as Say Anything meets Kill Bill and he’s not that far from accuracy. The chick who plays Knives, the little Asian girl, she’s going to be a star. She is adorable in the movie and not that everyone [is]. You’ve seen the other cats in other flicks, but she’s new to me. She pulled off the anime wide-eyed expression without any CG effects so incredibly well. I remember watching the movie and going,”oh my god, she’s like a living cartoon right now.” When she shows excitement [Kevin does a squeal to replicate the excitement] like that kind of thing. Whenever they draw them in anime, the character’s eyes get incredibly circular and wide, she’s able to do that. That’s cool. Michael Cera is really great. He’s also doing something that’s different from what most people know him as in terms of the character. He’s a little more self assured and Bugs Bunny-like than George Michael. The fight scenes are fun. It’s just a fucking good time, man. That dude, I considered that dude [Edgar Wright] one of the most talented filmmakers working today. I love Quentin [Tarantino] and I’ve loved everything Quentin has done, but I think Edgar is just kind of leaps ahead of the rest of us. This dude fucking thinks in these cinematic terms and visuals that’s still closely related and tied into the story. He’s not one of those guys who say’s, “fuck story and fuck dialogue.” He’s the complete package. I’m always concentrated on what people are saying and trying to make it funny, shit like that. He does that while also trying to make it a cinematic, a visceral cinematic experience. I like his stuff so much. Shaun of the Dead is an immediately watchable movie. I can watch it and then start it over to watch it again. I feel the same way about Hot Fuzz, maybe not as intensely because Shaun of the Dead works aside from being a homage film. It works as a romantic comedy, a study on relationships, and it works on a bunch of different levels. He’s the goods and if someone said, “you gotta pick one guy and you’d have to watch only his movies for the rest of your life,” I’d pick Edgar. He’s done no wrong, as far as I’m concerned.”

Gawker Review: SPOILERS

Trailer Assessment:
GamerVision.com Scene-by-scene through the trailer

Movie Posters:
Movie Posters featuring the Evil Exes.

Better shots of the Evil Exes movie posters

Animated Gifs!:

VS

Evil Ex #1

Merchandise!:

Welovefine.com T-shirts

+DMG against Blondes T-Shirt

Keychains and Mugs and T-Shirts, Oh My!
Hot Topic has things

ZOMG Figurines!

Modly Edits!:
ElJeffe edit:
SPOILER RULES

No spoiler tags are necessary for anything from Books 1-5. Any spoilers for Book 6 or the movie MUST be in spoiler tags.

So, Discuss Scott Pilgrim.

_J_ on

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am glad this thread exists

I am sad you are the one to have started it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I am glad this thread exists

I am sad you are the one to have started it.

Maybe we can bond over our love for Scott Pilgrim?

For my money, I really hope they play down the CG until that first punch at the first fight. That would be teh fucking epic.

Edit: They have to use some CG for the whole "getting to Ramona's place" part. But, man...

_J_ on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They couldnt have found anyone better then Micheal Cera for Scott Pillgrim?

Seriously?

I mean I want to get excited about this, but jesus, he looks only passingly like scott pilgrim. And the actress they got to play Ramona is just as fucking bad, holy crap.

Jokerman on
    edited March 2010
    I want to give Cera the benefit of the doubt. But there is a wealth of benefit going on there having to account for a huge amount of doubt.

The girl they get to play Ramona is win. I think she does Ramona's eyes well.

Thinking about Cera...if we had never seen him in anything else, ever, would we still think him a poor casting decision? Is the "poor casting" based upon his being George Michael? Or is he just bad for the role?

_J_ on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glad they finally made this. I originally heard about this movie shortly after Shaun of the Dead came out.

Dalboz on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pfft, _J_ never updates his threads.

So while the movie is on its way and looks pretty rad, I strongly urge everyone to read the books. They're superb.

Henroid on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Michael Cera doesn't seem to have the primal fuck-yeah gutsiness to play Scott. Can you see that guy picking fights in primary school? Can you really see him in a band that doesn't involve a flute?

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Michael Cera's whole schtick is awkward '70s teen. Even when it's not appropriate, like in Youth in Revolt. I don't think he knows how to play self-possessed characters.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The trailer looks fantastic. The casting is superb.

The only thing at all to be skeptical about really is Cera, but it's not like he's incapable of doing Scott. It's not like he doesn't already posses some of Scott's qualities, albeit not all of them, and definitely not the louder, awesomer ones. Edgar Wright's a great director, I don't foresee him having any trouble bringing the Scott out of Cera.

From what I understand, Bryan Lee O'Malley likes how they've adapted his work, and that's good enough for me until I see it myself.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Michael Cera doesn't seem to have the primal fuck-yeah gutsiness to play Scott. Can you see that guy picking fights in primary school? Can you really see him in a band that doesn't involve a flute?

That's the part that worries me. I doubt that Cera could pull off the "Yeah, an awesome fight." line without it sounding terribly forced.

_J_ on
    edited March 2010
    The "I want to take them apart" line in the trailer makes me think that he may be able to pull it off.

Maybe.

_J_ on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I reserve judgement about Cera.

But everything else looks fucking sweet. Edgar Wright really gets it.

At least, that's what that totally awesome trailer is telling me.

Jintor on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jintor wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Now I'm going to go into media blackout, excluding volume 6.

Junior Yank on
    edited March 2010
    Jintor wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Now I'm going to go into media blackout, excluding volume 6.

Volume 6 scares me insofar as I want the ending to the series to not suck.

_J_ on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't know what to think about this movie but the trailer totally sold me on it.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One of my favorite pages from the books (in this case, volume 2):
    kissramonagoodbye.jpg

Henroid on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ruzkin wrote: »

This is my big problem with this casting. Scott is like a Western comic book version of Luffy from One Piece. He's got tons of energy and excitement and fucking pep. Whereas Michael Cera....does not. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll be like Michael Keaton as Batman, and the actual thing on screen will work. I really want it to.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've read part of Vol. 1 through various postings of page scans, and it's pretty fucking cool. I mean, I would die laughing if I was in someone's apartment and their drummer shouts out "WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB!!!" then starts playing epic rock.

That being said, the trailer gave me some sense of that fun and nod-to-gamers attitude that the comic does. Which in this case = win. Besides, trailers to Edgar Wright's movies are NEVER anywhere CLOSE to as good as the final product. It's all good.

Fawst on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Edgar Wright is the exact right choice for this, but that trailer sold me on everything except Cera.

I see the lass from Up In The Air is in this as well? Coolio.

Bogart on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This movie looks aimed at the teenager crowd, which bothers me because I was pretty sure it was gonna unveil in the last book that Ramona was
    A Prostitute.
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

Jokerman on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lhahahaaaaa no

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh I recognize the art in the OP, I should look into it.

That trailer looks fuckawesome.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    I've read part of Vol. 1 through various postings of page scans, and it's pretty fucking cool. I mean, I would die laughing if I was in someone's apartment and their drummer shouts out "WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB!!!" then starts playing epic rock.

Which is odd, since that was precisely the point that I actually closed the book and decided to not read any more of the series. I really wish I knew what irked me so badly about Scott Pilgrim - I actively disliked the central cast (but enjoy many other series with deliberately unlikeable protagonists), and I found it all a bit twee and forced-whimsy, but that still doesn't explain the gulf between my opinion and popular understanding. Normally if I dislike something I can at least see the attraction it might have for others, so I'd really be interested in seeing the appeal for other people.

Of course, I've loved every single thing Edgar Wright has done to date, and no matter how inappropriate the casting of Cera is I find him pretty difficult to dislike. So perhaps this is a rare situation where a film version genuinely improves on the source material for me.

Bioptic on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm giving Cera this as his chance to proove that he can act and has simply been shifted into the role people expect him to play up until now.

If he screws this up then I'll hate him.

Sipex on
    edited March 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Which is odd, since that was precisely the point that I actually closed the book and decided to not read any more of the series. I really wish I knew what irked me so badly about Scott Pilgrim - I actively disliked the central cast (but enjoy many other series with deliberately unlikeable protagonists), and I found it all a bit twee and forced-whimsy, but that still doesn't explain the gulf between my opinion and popular understanding. Normally if I dislike something I can at least see the attraction it might have for others, so I'd really be interested in seeing the appeal for other people.

I think part of the appeal is the pop-culture referencing / 4th wall breaking / self-referencing style the book maintains. The book knows what it is and does exactly that without stopping.

I am amazed that people can not like this book.

_J_ on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man someone who is 23 should not be dating a high school girl.

Captain Carrot on
    edited March 2010

She's 17! And it's not like they did anything.

_J_ on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was proceeding on the assumption that she was 18, so you have not improved the situation.

Captain Carrot on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it helps his friends pretty much tell him this too.

Sipex on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seriously just read the books they are the best things.

deadonthestreet on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited March 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I had been meaning to check these books out, but after seeing the trailer I'm not sure if it's for me.

But on the other hand: Edgar Wright of Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy fame . . . I am torn.

Edgar Wright can do no wrong.

The books are epic as well.

_J_ on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    This movie looks aimed at the teenager crowd, which bothers me because I was pretty sure it was gonna unveil in the last book that Ramona was
    A Prostitute.
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

To be fair I think they've already said the movie ending and book ending aren't necessarily going to be the same.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    A Prostitute.
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

To be fair I think they've already said the movie ending and book ending aren't necessarily going to be the same.

yea, this confuses me. I understand, not exactly the same, but I heard the movie contains nothing from the last book. Did o'malley just have no idea how the series would end? Did he just let edgar wright finish it?

NotYou on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure I should read the books, but I really, really, REALLY can't get past the art style. It just annoys the living fuck out of me. So, I guess the movie is the best way for me to get into this.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »

I think part of the appeal is the pop-culture referencing / 4th wall breaking / self-referencing style the book maintains. The book knows what it is and does exactly that without stopping.

I am amazed that people can not like this book.

See, the incredible thing is that one of my favourite series is 'Spaced' (British comedy also directed by Edgar Wright and with Simon Pegg) is exactly this - a bunch of disposessed 20-somethings having moderately crazy adventures littered with pop-culture references and fantasy sequences. It's what gives me strong hope for the film version too.

Maybe it just feels more honest to me - the references and lifestyle are more relatable, due to a cultural divide or otherwise. Well worth checking out though - the region 1 editions of the DVDs have a massive amount of commentaries and extras we never saw.

Bioptic on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I want to give Cera the benefit of the doubt. But there is a wealth of benefit going on there having to account for a huge amount of doubt.

Thinking about Cera...if we had never seen him in anything else, ever, would we still think him a poor casting decision? Is the "poor casting" based upon his being George Michael? Or is he just bad for the role?

I've read the first two volumes of Scott Pilgrim so far, and while Cera is great at playing George Michael v 9.3, Scott Pilgrim does not strike me as that kind of person at all.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2010

I've read the first two volumes of Scott Pilgrim so far, and while Cera is great at playing George Michael v 9.3, Scott Pilgrim does not strike me as that kind of person at all.

Kevin Smith gave a brief review of the movie wherein he said this was not George Michael, but rather Cera doing something new. I need to dig that up and put it into the OP.

I mean, you can say Kevin Smith is full of shit. But, them's fightin' words.

_J_ on
    edited March 2010

Honestly, that's not that bad a gap, especially considering that they don't do anything. And also
    when she finally gets around to kissing him, he's freaked out.

Henroid on