As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naki Draws

2»

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's some really great stuff in here! Here's some critiques...

The last panel in that comic is very static, and makes the whole thing feel kind of anticlimactic. He suddenly appears above water; no splash? No dripping water? No ripples?

I really like that painting of the boxer, but the shadow on the floorboards seems a little rushed. There should be some darker pools around his feet: in fact the whole thing feels like it could use a bit more contrast between light and dark.

Keep it up! :^:

Flay on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Something more like this?

compositecomicedit.jpg

On a side note, after I drew this, the guy who wrote the short paragraph this is based on told me "The character's a chick." Oh well, I still had fun.

nakirush on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good to see the diagram continuing to spread education throughout the internet. :P

I really like the newest panels you did, color scheme wise they're really nice to look at. I would just try to go for more intensity when trying to convey a situation like that for net time. Though the panels hit all the right moments, there isn't much tension or struggle going on. That's a really small splash for such a big fall. And underwater for example, bubbles would be everywhere when someone is flailing around trying to get to the surface.

EDIT - oh and having two up close eye panels is a bit redundant.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ZaengoZaengo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    nakirush wrote: »

On a side note, after I drew this, the guy who wrote the short paragraph this is based on told me "The character's a chick." Oh well, I still had fun.

put some tits on him and call it a day.

Zaengo on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nice work but I think you should avoid putting everything in the center of your panels (the hand, the speech balloons, the eyes). That, added to the digital line-work and computer font make it kind of lifeless. Also, edges of speech balloons should never arc against the panel borders. Still, these are things easy to fix.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the comments. Here's something I did this evening. Looking at it now I realize how bored she looks. Why do they look so much more expressive when I'm drawing them? Oh well - this was more for working on poses than anything, I guess.

finished-17.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually much prefer the keyed, lower saturation colors from the first attempt at those panels. I've never fallen into the whole "if it's not dynamic in grayscale, it's not interesting in color" school. (However, I actually like the first colors when converted to grayscale, it's subtle, but all the information is still clear.)

The thing is when dealing with color, you've got three things you're working with: value, chroma, and hue. You don't want strong contrast in all of those because then they'll be competing with each other.

The more muted color scheme is easy on the eyes, and by minimizing the contrast in value and saturation, you're allowing the hues to read well. In the revision, the value is so distracting that the colors just die out. You see light/dark in the underwater scenes, not blue/green for example.

Also, you're still drawing really bored facial expressions, however I'd like to see you applying similar color schemes to the first one you presented to other works. I suggest if you have any of the Marvel Essentials or DC Showcases that you scan some of those pages to get some practice coloring.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What are these Marvel Essentials and DC Showcases you speak of? They intrigue me...

nakirush on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're cheap reprintings of classic-era comics in large volumes (500+ pages usually) on newsprint. Only the black plates are printed in them so they're perfect for cutting pages out of, scanning, and coloring.

Like so and so.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Those are awesome! I need to get my hands on one of those.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I felt like being silly and wrote a guide for my guilds raid -

[Spoilered to save your scroll wheel]
    rotface1d.jpg
    rotface2.jpg
    rotface3k.jpg
    rotface4.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    ThinkjunkThinkjunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is some pretty fantastic color work on the Tiefling, but the arms and the staff just strike me as drawn in place rather than him actually gripping the staff, and his left arm seems weirdly thin at the elbow. But your chests and lower bodies are amazing and very sculpted. That is probably my favorite thing about all of your stuff posted yet.

I like the coloring on the fabric and the circle behind him as well. That works very well in contrast with the sharp angles on his figure.

Thinkjunk on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like this - there something very Bubble Bobble about the big blob nomming the baby.

:^:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Trying to get back into some serious studies and the like.

This is a WIP. I'm about an hour in. It's referenced from a photograph.

[Edit - I've spoilered all the WIP stuff to save your scroll wheel]
    maleanatomystudy.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Some minor adjustments and base colors -
    maleanatomystudy.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    maleanatomystudy.jpg

Calling it a night at this point. His eyes are creeping me out.

nakirush on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    his right pec is waaaaaaay bigger than his left

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've been trying to sort that out. His left pec is supposed to be compressed and his right extended, but I can't get it to look right. If I can't figure it out tomorrow, I'll just shift the collar bone and even them out, but I like the challenge.

Thanks for the feedback.

nakirush on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you attempting to draw this realistically? I don't think the art is bad, but it is very stylized. I'm just wondering if you're trying to draw something that is photo-realistic or if you just want to be able to draw things more realistically in your style. If that makes any sense. This is something I struggle with a lot.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like drawing things that are believable, but still mine. Uh... like, semi-real, but you can still look at it and say "That's Naki's art." Does that make any sense?

nakirush on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Somewhere between the sketch and the final version, his face has gotten all squished. Well, it was already a bit pushed down when you started, but the colouring's made it worse. It looks like his eyebrows are located where his eyes should be.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm still plugging away at this. I'm working on repainting the face and chest, at the moment.
    maleanatomystudy.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, that looks much better, proportion-wise.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A little further along -

maleanatomystudy.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with it. My biggest complaint is I seem to be stuck in this weird semi-lineart/not-quite-a-painting style and it makes the shading around the edges of the body really bad. That, and I need to work on forearms...

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to put this piece to rest and move on to another with what I've learned.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wolverinei.jpg

wolverine2w.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Added the second piece to the above post. Wanted to keep them together, as that is how they'll be displayed when I get them framed. I'm toying with the idea of putting a third piece between them. Like the tentacle monster. Or should I leave it as is and make the tentacle portal monster a mystery?

nakirush on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    leave it i love it so much

RubberAC on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the last 2 pieces.... I adore them, they are AWESOME. I dont have words to explain how much I like that aesthetic.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Boston House PartyBoston House Party Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nakirush I love that inkwork, it's much cooler to me than the digital stuff, much more defined and moody.

Boston House Party on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys! The encouragement is very appreciated. I think I may have found my little niche. :D

nakirush on
  • Options
    Sir_WangSir_Wang Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it might be a style thing, but the taste for it myself is not present. You have a very specific set of mouths, and a specific shape for about 3 to 4 dofferent styles of heads. your drawings are great, but try to vary your style more. keep it interesting.

Sir_Wang on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's been awhile. Here's a WIP of a Gnome Priest.

stavler.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I did some more. I guess it didn't take as long as I thought it would.

stavler.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For spears of light no doubt from some kind of awesome power they look a little too solid in nature. Like, maybe dim the edges or make them a bit more transparent? He's a nice looking little gnome I'll say that much.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Good catch, thanks :)

stavler.jpg

nakirush on
  • Options
    Been awhile since I posted. Did this over the weekend -

anthonyironmansmall.jpg

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    the graphic elements there are so totally awesome they're stealing the spotlight. I think one way to tweak that is by saturating the colors on the armor more; iron man's suit has always been a very rich high-gloss paint finish. Your approach here definitely gives it the feel of a metal, but seems a little muted.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Updated -
    anthonyironman3.jpg

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Is Iron man supposed to look like a 9 year old boy? My only beef is the value range you have on the body is different from the face which makes them feel very disconnected.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, to looking like a kid. It's a portrait piece for a child.

Now that you point out the disconnect, I totally see it. :( I'll work on fixing that.

Edit -

anthonyironman3.jpg

nakirush on