As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[APB] All Points Bulletin, I'm gettin' too old for this sh*t...

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am genuinely surprised that RTW is showing off the current beta build at PAX.

It has to be modified in some way.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    Mifio wrote: »
    Updated OP with the new podcast. I feel the same apprehension, however, if the mute system is extremely easy to use, or, better yet, you can turn off the VOIP. Either are fine with me. Hell. I like vent much better anyway.

Yeah, I think most people will be sticking to vent.

I am however warming up to the idea of being able to yell "It's just been revoked" to anyone I kill.

Yes, unfortunately people will try to get around the deliberate disadvantage of the ingame VOIP system. Unfortunate because it adds more strategy to the voice communications, much like COD4 tried to do with Eavesdrop. Which actually worked - provided that players were not making an end run around the intended function using Vent.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

It sounds like it's not just going to be the build, but the actual beta, people there might see us driving around.

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    Scooter wrote: »

It sounds like it's not just going to be the build, but the actual beta, people there might see us driving around.

Right. As I've said, I'm a little surprised they're doing that. I really want to talk about why I'm surprised, but the stupid NDA.

Actually, I wonder if this means we can talk about the current build?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    I think the best Crim group idea would be the McD Mafia

edit: now with drive-by service

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good lord i swear to god if a certain user with a name starting 00 does not get the fuck off his douche pedestal I will invent a special third type of internet data packet called the strangle packet, and send him many of them.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that guy is a complete tool.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Winnie The PoohWinnie The Pooh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hooray extension! Does this mean we will be playing with PAX people? That would be very strange.

Winnie The Pooh on
    edited March 2010
    Yep, we'll be playing with PAX people.

I've stopped playing this game after the first weekend, but I really want to play again this weekend, just to make a point when a bunch of new people jump into the game at PAX.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that guy is a complete tool.

Hey, he just wants to spread the message that this is not a game for fanboys and people who like urban Gunz clones

whatever those are

Scooter on
    edited March 2010
    or casuals!

Curse those pesky casuals! Ruinin' mah games!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    This is actually pretty good, it will be interesting to see how casuals blend in with people who have been playing for a while.

Sygnon on
    edited March 2010
    Which is why I want to play during PAX. If only to prove my theories correct.

or disprove, as the case may be.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    My theory starts with the letter "meat" and ends with the letter "grinder"

Sygnon on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thursday will be the first time I actually get to play the game!

I couldn't make time on any of the sundays before :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Sygnon wrote: »
    My theory starts with the letter "meat" and ends with the letter "grinder"

I read the thread you put up. As you probably can guess, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

e: also, did you guys read this thread? Grammatical errors aside, there is some really good theory/discussion going on.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Klyka you can play with Zoidberg, Peewi and I. We need a +1

Senshi on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We'll probably be in the PA vent. We used that when we played on sunday.

Peewi on
    edited March 2010
    Well, it's cool that the community team likes to reply to shit posts, but totally ignores any threads with intelligent discussion.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, it's cool that the community team likes to reply to shit posts, but totally ignores any threads with intelligent discussion.

That's most community teams I've seen, though.

Who wants to read and counter-point a wall of text when you can just throw a one-liner into some troll thread as a reminder that the team visits the forums.

Decoy on
    edited March 2010
    Mythos/Torchlight had a really good community team.

I wish they weren't the exception.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited March 2010
    Game forums are often bad, and beta forums are worse.

Way too many people forget that the point of a beta is to find problems, and respond to every suggestion or complaint with either 'go play something else' or 'this is just a beta, therefore you aren't allowed to complain about anything'. I hate to use the word fanboy, but there's always people who will refuse to admit anything might be wrong with their game, or if there is, it will somehow be magically fixed by launch if only people stopped talking about it.

Scooter on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Way too many people forget that the point of a beta is to find problems, and respond to every suggestion or complaint with either 'go play something else' or 'this is just a beta, therefore you aren't allowed to complain about anything'. I hate to use the word fanboy, but there's always people who will refuse to admit anything might be wrong with their game, or if there is, it will somehow be magically fixed by launch if only people stopped talking about it.

I responded in District to a guy who was saddened that they hadn't set a release date yet with something along the lines of 'This code is nowhere near release quality. If they released as-is the game would fail within 3 months.'

His response? 'IF YOU HATE THE GAME SO MUCH THEN STOP PLAYING IT. PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN LIKE YOU DO NOTHING TO HELP'.

.... waitwhat? Dude, I'm jonesing for this game so damned hard it's ridiculous. I play the beta to find the things wrong so that when it comes out, It'll be the game I know it can be.

Fanboys. D:

RisenPhoenix on
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I responded in District to a guy who was saddened that they hadn't set a release date yet with something along the lines of 'This code is nowhere near release quality. If they released as-is the game would fail within 3 months.'

His response? 'IF YOU HATE THE GAME SO MUCH THEN STOP PLAYING IT. PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN LIKE YOU DO NOTHING TO HELP'.

.... waitwhat? Dude, I'm jonesing for this game so damned hard it's ridiculous. I play the beta to find the things wrong so that when it comes out, It'll be the game I know it can be.

Fanboys. D:

I respond to this with what I said before about the people complaining about only wanting to shoot shit, and not customize things.
    Never before have I wanted to strangle someone more in my entire life. Fucking. Fanboys.
    BTW IF YOU HATE THIS GAME, WHY NOT GIVE ME BETA. HUH? I BET I WOULDN'T HATE THIS GAME. U SO STOOPID! Hurf.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So is that a yes they fucked up in giving their fansite a zillion beta invites so only the people who play crimecraft got any keys

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • senekuseneku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Decoy wrote: »

That's most community teams I've seen, though.

Who wants to read and counter-point a wall of text when you can just throw a one-liner into some troll thread as a reminder that the team visits the forums.

A lot of that is pretty deliberate to be honest, tech issues etc are easy and in their best interest to be dealt with quickly, and "fun" posts are easy to respond to you dont need to worry about having been seen as favouring some idea's over others. Often if you post on a discussion thread as you've mentioned it pretty much kills the conversation where as if it goes on more posts are made, more points are made and all that can get fed back to the dev team or whoever.

Either way believe me when I say they take a helluva lot of your feedback into account!

P.S. Yes I am the same one...

seneku on
    -=Seneku=-
    edited March 2010
    So I played this today.

It's hella unpolished but also hella fun.

Also I saw a guy called "Knorre" in the game,just driving around.
    HE ADDED ME ON STEAM.
    I have no idea how he found my Steam name.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Just for that Klyka. I'm gonna find you on steam and add you. To prove a point. You are easy to find.
    E: I win.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    Just for that Klyka. I'm gonna find you on steam and add you. To prove a point. You are easy to find.
    E: I win.

You see,the problem is: My name wasn't "Klyka" in the game.

I AM SCARED.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Yay Klyka! :D Thanks.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New pax east trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzooQMONkI

Edit: Okay, also the apb website got switched around a bit. Lots of videos and stuff.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
    edited March 2010
    oh cool they made a video of the apb i want to play.

I swear to god its like they took all the good suggestions and just used them to make the promo video.

Sygnon on
    edited March 2010
    Hello, NDA

It's gonna be hella hard for people in the Beta to stay under NDA, especially on these boards. But apparently we have to do it, despite the demonstration at PAX East.

Also, what up, Seneku?

It would just be nice to have some kind of acknowledgment. Even if it's just a "we value your feedback". I've seen a few great threads with excellent points that are ostensibly ignored by the community/dev team there. If RTW is really serious about fostering well-thought out discussion, they should actively encourage it, rather than passively.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    THAT is how you make a gameplay trailer. MMMMMM.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Many of the newer trailers for APB are making me really want to get into it. My only main concern is theres no real overarching objective so people may lose interest pretty quickly like most other FPSMMO games.
    I've seen a few great threads with excellent points that are ostensibly ignored by the community/dev team there.

It's like that for every game. Since users on their forums aren't payed employees, it doesn't matter how much crap they agree to in a check-box ToS, people can easily end-around them with an IP lawsuits if they do steal in idea after directly acknowledging it's existence.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • popfishpopfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Many of the newer trailers for APB are making me really want to get into it. My only main concern is theres no real overarching objective so people may lose interest pretty quickly like most other FPSMMO games.
    I've seen a few great threads with excellent points that are ostensibly ignored by the community/dev team there.

It's like that for every game. Since users on their forums aren't payed employees, it doesn't matter how much crap they agree to in a check-box ToS, people can easily end-around them with an IP lawsuits if they do steal in idea after directly acknowledging it's existence.

But isn't that circumvented when accepting the agreement for beta testing - the possibility of your suggestions being used? Seems like it wouldn't be as effective otherwise.

popfish on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    popfish wrote: »
    CripTonic wrote: »

But isn't that circumvented when accepting the agreement for beta testing - the possibility of your suggestions being used? Seems like it wouldn't be as effective otherwise.

From my understanding, if someone presents an idea they actually want to use, you have to sign some physical documentation to effectively give your idea to them. It's all legal mumbo-jumbo to prevent getting sued, and since you can theoretically come up with an idea without signing their user agreement, they really can't "steal" ideas from those who do (seeing as it's required to play the game).

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was really nice, I am jealous of all the people that will be able to play it at PAX East. If it doesn't come out before Prime PAX, it's something to look forward to if I don't get into beta which I might not because of my crappy system.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am looking forward to giving up days of my life to playing with the character generator in this game alone. The alts, my god think of the alts! So many alts...

Caveman Paws on
This discussion has been closed.