As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Am Very New To Watercolors ...

Rolling SamusRolling Samus Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
But I'm having a lot of fun so far!

http://rollingdamage.deviantart.com/art/Robot-Painting-On-The-Beach-158269237

If anyone has any links to some solid tutorial content, I'd love to take a look! Anything that's been personally helpful to you in the past is welcome. I don't have any idea what "good form" is in relation to watercolor yet; I'm basically just messing about and exploring for now. It's a lot of fun to just play around in the beginning, and I'll probably be doing that for a while, but any tips on the basics would be super helpful.

Rolling Samus on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Its forum policy that new threads have to have some artwork in them, not just links to the artwork.

And welcome to the A/C :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, I was just trying to be polite. I figured that providing a link instead of some enormous image would actually be less irritating.

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    no, I checked your link. You've got some good looking stuff, but your thread is your thread, people expect it to be full of your art. Add a few images to your first post, errthang'll be cool.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I honestly hadn't intended to flood the forum with self-gratifying news about My Art and how super awesome I am ... I really only wanted a few genuine critiques concerning this one piece. Is that a party foul? :/

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    nope... actual critiques is what we're all about. Which is why we want the art in the threads- We don't want people trying to pump up their "views" or ad money (or w/e other reason people might have for getting us to their sites).

We want to stay focused on the artwork and helping you improve.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's put it this way. I have to click on your thread to see your piece. Except then I have to click on a link. And then I have to click again to see it full size ... only I don't because by now I'm bored and can't be bothered.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nappuccino! Your response was completely reasonable, and I'd be happy to post an image here if you would be kind enough to walk me through that process. I hadn't thought of "pumping" up "views" or whatever, but now that you mention it, I can see how the page view process would encourage that kind of behavior. That wasn't my intention, and I apologize.

But tynic? That's the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. I don't want anyone with that short of an attention span commenting on my art. I can't imagine how your critique could be in any way helpful if you seriously cannot attend to a task that involves THREE MOUSE CLICKS.

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of forumers do their foruming from work and just don't like clicking links, just as a safety precaution.

Host your picture on a site like photobucket or imageshack, grab the url of the picture, and put it between tags, and you're set.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it'll go img] (without the space) and voila, embedded picture.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps 'bored' was the wrong word. Maybe 'fed up' is more accurate.
    I don't want anyone with that short of an attention span commenting on my art.

What a marvelous coincidence.

tynic on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But tynic? That's the most preposterous thing I have ever heard.

You obviously haven't been on the internets for very long. I've heard 4 more preposterous things in the last hour alone.

His point is actually pretty valid. This is the reason most webcomics and artists make their newest work available on the front page of their websites. More clicks = less visits, which equates to fewer people viewing your work. It may suck, but this is the way of the Internet, unfortunately. Trust me, a lot of people think this as they look at websites, but Tynic is one that will let you know that up-front. That's why we have this forum.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Please post the image directly in this thread or it will be locked. It's forum policy both because it's more convenient and because it avoids people linking to their sites to drive up traffic.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thank you, Nappuccino! Thank you, Metalbourne! I always appreciate super helpful advice!

DMAC, I felt that your harsh reaction may have been uncalled for. It seems unnecessary to threaten someone who has already apologized for their ignorance and asked for assistance in correcting their mistake. Once everything was calmly explained to me, I responded that I'd be happy to comply, and requested further instructions.

I've already stated that I had no intention of "driving up traffic" to my deviant art account (ridiculous), and asked for instructions on how to embed the image within the thread. I just got home from work, so now I'll do just that!

robotonbeachlg2.jpg

I'm sorry that you've run into people with ulterior motives in the past, but you can relax; I'm just excited to begin my journey within a new medium. Again, I'm sorry for committing heinous Forum Treason, and beg your forgiveness. My intentions were not malicious, I merely suffer from Shouldhavereadtherulesfirst-itis.

Originally, I had asked if anyone knew of any beginner's tips for watercolor experimentation. Any links you could provide would be great, specifically if you found them to be personally useful.

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That picture reminds me of that episode of futurama where bender runs away and meets the obsolete robots.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen a lot of Futurama, but the few episodes that I HAVE seen, I've thoroughly enjoyed. My friend has the dvds, though! I'll ask him if he can show me that episode. What was the name of it?

Also, any comments on the painting itself? Instead of ... like, cartoons?

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would give you some advice if I knew anything about watercolor painting. However, I know a lot about Futurama. The episode is on the fourth season, titled "Obsoletely Fabulous"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha, excellent. I'll have to check it out. Are there robots on beaches? I am excited!

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I too, know much about Futurama and little about watercolors.

However, the advice I do have is to try not to blend too many colors at once- the ocean on the upper left and the bushes in the fore ground turn to a very muddy color- one I'm not sure you were aiming for. That said, don't be afraid to experiment a bit, just... you might want to test how colors blend on some scrap paper before committing them to a piece you're working on.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    The colors were blended on a ceramic plate before going into the painting, and the painting itself pretty much was the scrap paper, haha. If I'd actually painted something incredible my first time, I'd be in the newspapers. My form is obviously rough, and I'm glad you could point out something for me to work on.

That said, I was going for more of a contrasting kind of a deal, where everything was super depressing and gross except for the part where we see the light-hearted little robot. I was attempting to cultivate sort of a dark mood surrounding what should be sort of chipper, taking something cute and putting it into a more depressing, less detailed environment. Perhaps I didn't pull it off as well as I had originally intended, due to inexperience and lack of form concerning brushstrokes, but I'm quite pleased with the "muddy" colors themselves.

I began with a more vibrant set of colors, and wasn't satisfied with the way it looked, so I took a plate and blended more browns into everything. The execution obviously wasn't perfect, hahaha. I have so much to learn about this! About colors, about blending, about strokes .. I guess practice makes perfect, huh? In any case, it's not as though this piece is going into a portfolio or something. It was intended as an experiment, and I'm not ashamed to call it that.

I really appreciate your honest reaction! It was extremely helpful, and I'll definitely consider your advice before beginning my next painting. I'm excited to do more! Thanks again for your help.

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think what is breaking up the painting for me is the really hard lines bordering the water on the beach, the grassy "horizon" in the background, and the clouds. From your post above, I would try to use that technique more on the focal point, and leave the backgrounds to be a bit more raw and foreboding (not sure if that's the word, but it's the one that came to mind). I know you were probably using those borders as a guide, but maybe just use a thinner, lighter line than can be hidden when you put some color over it in the future.

I like the stuff in the foreground though, especially the crab.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Those are some EXCELLENT TIPS! I'm grateful for how concisely you were able to communicate the issues you had with this piece, those specifics are definitely crucial to the way in which I learn a new skill. I think you're absolutely correct in your assessment, and I feel armed with a new bit of knowledge going into my next attempt.

It's difficult switching to a new medium, and since I've only ever drawn things in pencil and ink, I never thought about how that would translate to the world of watercolor. I have a lot of work to do in that regard, and I can't wait to get started. I really appreciate your helpful input, JLM-AWP!

Rolling Samus on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Been a long time since I've done watercolors, but if I remember right, your pencil marks should not show up so much. When I did my landscapes I tended to do a basic outline of what I wanted, very lightly.

Though, that gave me an idea of using pencil watercolors to draw outlines and then blend them into the picture at the end, hmmm... Wish i had time to get back into watercolors.

Comahawk on