As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ontario G2 license expired; Now what?

SamyazaSamyaza Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having a hard time finding the definitive answer for this question.

I got my G2, and didn't challenge the final road test to get my G before it expired. Am I still licensed to drive under my G1, which has not expired yet? Can I challenge my G2 road test again now, or do I need to get a new G1 first?

Thanks in advance.

Samyaza on

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You need to start over completely, but try calling the MTO and see if you can plead for your case. They may let you try for your G.

Right now, your license has expired, and you cannot drive at all. You don't still have a G1, it was replaced by your G2, which is now expired.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SamyazaSamyaza Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks very much.

Samyaza on
  • MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What Figgy said. From what I can find from the Ministry website though, because your G2 expired recently you may have a slightly faster time getting back to where you were.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You wont have to wait the 8 or 12 month or whatever period it is between getting a g1 and a g2.

So, go get your G1 again, and immediately book a road test.

Al_wat on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a related question.

The original G1 I got when I was 16 expired because I didn't care about driving when I was a teenager. I got another G1 in May 2006, got my G2 in September 2007 and I have been driving on my G2 ever since.

I think my G2 says on the back that it expires in 2011, but I heard somewhere that you only have 4 years total from the time you start the graduated licensing system to complete the process. Does this mean I only have a month or two to schedule my full G? Or do I have another year?

exmello on
  • DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Exmello, your license expires when it says it expires on the back. It wont expire before then. The best thing to do is book a road test ASAP because often times, especially in the spring there is a rush for tests. People dont like taking the test in the winter for some reason. Another reason to book one now is because depending on where you live, there may be a couple month wait for the test.

If you only have a few weeks left however, you can always go to a testing center when they open and hope someone cancels that day, or they have time for a walk in test. This is how I completed my Motorcycle license as fast as I could. (M1 -> M2 =90 days, M2 -> M = 1-2 years)

Dakal on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dakal wrote: »
    Exmello, your license expires when it says it expires on the back. It wont expire before then. The best thing to do is book a road test ASAP because often times, especially in the spring there is a rush for tests. People dont like taking the test in the winter for some reason. Another reason to book one now is because depending on where you live, there may be a couple month wait for the test.

If you only have a few weeks left however, you can always go to a testing center when they open and hope someone cancels that day, or they have time for a walk in test. This is how I completed my Motorcycle license as fast as I could. (M1 -> M2 =90 days, M2 -> M = 1-2 years)

Probably think it's scary, which is ironic because I've heard plenty of stories about people who've had their road tests after a snow storm and the snow has always helped them. Since there's so much of the white stuff, they have to drive extra slow and careful and the whole test becomes super easy. Not quite the case for the highway test though.

But yeah Exmello, whatever the expiration date on the back says will be what it is.

Underdog on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I took my G2 test when it was snowing years ago. I slid right over a stop sign line.

Still passed :P

Al_wat on
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You gain some bonus points for taking the test in bad weather conditions, I believe.

Space Pickle on
  • LolaLola Registered User new member
    edited March 2015
    There is nothing like a free lesson, Anyone immigrating to Toronto Canada, if you have the chance to bring a driving license from US, don't hesitate a minute - after spending a lot of money, I got my G2, guess what? time went so fast that it expired after five years. I have made so many attempts to get another G2 again that is "embarrasing" for me to admit that I have failed the test 4 times. Once you loose that G2! back to square ONE. I find this to be terrible, a waist of money and humilating. I understand that if you are not able to move into the G license, well you stay with your G2. No way, they want you to suffer and spend more money. This is a very descriminatory and downgrading system after failing the G test came home very sad and depress and you still might not get the picture that you can't drive anymore. I have driven in Toronto Canada for 5 years, however, the instructors decided to fail you because maybe those 5 years are just in your mind. So please, take this advice, if you get your G2 as son as you get it book your test for the G license. Because even if you pass first grade when you get to second grade and you fail, unfortunately, they sent you back to Kindergarten......you get demoted and sorry Can't drive anymore. Keep in mind that the company in charge of the road test is a private one, is just another business. The more people they fail the more money they make. Also this is mostly done to mature people. The younger you are the best chances you have!

Lola on
This discussion has been closed.