As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was cleaning out my XBox HD this morning and can't believe that Burnout takes up 2.2GB in patches and stuff. It's by far the biggest download of any other game I own.

Is this because I essentially HAVE all the DLC now, and actually buying it would just unlock it?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I was cleaning out my XBox HD this morning and can't believe that Burnout takes up 2.2GB in patches and stuff. It's by far the biggest download of any other game I own.

Is this because I essentially HAVE all the DLC now, and actually buying it would just unlock it?
    That is how it works on PS3 so I assume the 360 version works the same way.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that's exactly it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

I believe that is true yes. For instance you can check out the DLC cars at the junkyard even if you haven't bought them yet, and if you don't have Big Surf Island your game is still plastered in BSI shit and it shows up on the map.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So does anyone play much these days? I dusted the ole' game off the other night and have been logging some hours smashing into stuff/people online, and it would be fun to play with some PA folkses

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I just picked it up again. I have 60+ races or so til I get my Elite, want to get that and do some Road Rules...

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do you play on PS3 or 360? I'm fairly easy to convince to hop on for the PS3 crashy racey time. Especially if you're looking to do Big Surf Island stuff.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still on my class B license haha. I have learned
    A: I enjoy smashing stuff more than racing
    B: I suck ass at stunt runs

Edit: I'm on 360

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, thinking of getting this, but it kind of hinges on one thing.
    How much traffic/pedestrians/clutter is/are there? Does the place actualy feel like a living city instead of a bunch of racetracks?
    I'm basically looking forn a next-gen version of Midtown Madness.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    How much traffic/pedestrians/clutter is/are there? Does the place actualy feel like a living city instead of a bunch of racetracks?

No pedestrians, no clutter that I can remember, but there are other cars on the roads. It feels like a playground for cars more than a real city. That said, it's the most fun I've had with a racing game probably ever.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jclast wrote: »

No pedestrians, no clutter that I can remember, but there are other cars on the roads. It feels like a playground for cars more than a real city. That said, it's the most fun I've had with a racing game probably ever.

Yeah, there's traffic and parked cars, but no pedestrians.

It's kinda like this:
    City_Carpet.jpg

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone thinking of buying Burnout Paradise?

Do it. Best multiplatform game this gen and the most pure fun I've had with a racing game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone thinking of buying Burnout Paradise?

Do it. Best multiplatform game this gen and the most pure fun I've had with a racing game.

Agreed. So much value for the 20 bucks I spent on it. I played it and enjoyed it more than many games I paid $60+ for.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think plus DLC I've spent around $80 on it and worth every penny. (bought it new for 360, on sale for a friend, then on PSN for myself when I lost my 360 save.)

Plus I STILL need PSN friends that play this so I can invite someone and get my platinum trophy.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I play it on PC, it's a brilliant port, works flawlessly (best played with an Xbox controller).

Well worth the buy. The multiplayer's incredibly fun, too.

Senshi on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To bad there's no island on the PC. Way to drop the ball Criterion.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Unsure.
    For me, arcade racers really have to let me knock over piles of cardboard boxes and watch pedestrians comically dive for cover in my open city.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well the boxes are there

And plenty of room for exploration (and incentive to do so)

Just no pedestrians (due to the mass murder this would involve)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well the boxes are there

No it wouldn't.
    Midtown Madness 1 and 2 (possibly the only racing games I have ever really loved) managed it just fine by giving them superhuman dodging abilities, which was also hilarious.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This may sound like a silly question, but have you played the demo?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I thought I'd try and gather a little information before waiting hours for it to download.

I mean, I was only unsure in the first place because the videos seemed to show a lot of empty streets instead of realistic amounts of traffic.
    I like traffic.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Then you'll like Paradise City.
    There's traffic based on location and time of day (which can cycle in 24 minutes, 48 minutes, an hour or 2, even set it to your system clock or just set it to a specific time).
    Downtown Paradise in midday? Oh yeah.
    Night time up in the mountains? Not so much.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the demo doesnt really capture how awesome the game is. you should just buy it, really. its an incredible game.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love the mountains so much

Gaming bliss is drifting for like a mile straight while "Girlfriend" blasts through the speakers

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gaming bliss is drifting for like a mile straight while "Girlfriend" blasts through the speakers

its like youre in my brain, having my thoughts

man im gonna have to play some burnout soon. i havent put it in in a while.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the mountains so much

HEY HEY YOU YOU I DON'T LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

*Engine at 8000 RPM*

NO WAY NO WAY I THINK YOU NEED A NEW ONE

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dammit... I knew I was forgetting a song to put onto my custom race list.
    Some Mathew Sweet.

Also, I love having Burnout right there on the X-bar on my PS3. Hell, it's the top of the list unless there's a game in the drive.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    By the way, this will probably apply to like 1% of you, but it's useful knowledge that I discovered a few weeks ago

I copied all the music files from my iPod to my PS3 en masse. Do not do this. Even though all my music is legitimately purchased, I somehow got some "corrupted data" onto my PS3 somehow during this process. This is data that CANNOT BE DELETED, no matter what.

If, like me, you have this problem already, and you like using custom soundtracks with Burnout Paradise, create a playlist specifically for Burnout (or make a playlist that includes everything but that corrupted data). If you just put it on shuffle for all your music, as soon as it hits corrupted data, the game will flip out and the frame-rate will go way down, the sound effects will be seriously fucked, DJ Atomica sounds like a broken record, etc.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well the boxes are there

No it wouldn't.
    Midtown Madness 1 and 2 (possibly the only racing games I have ever really loved) managed it just fine by giving them superhuman dodging abilities, which was also hilarious.

Crazy Taxi too.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    By the way, this will probably apply to like 1% of you, but it's useful knowledge that I discovered a few weeks ago

I copied all the music files from my iPod to my PS3 en masse. Do not do this. Even though all my music is legitimately purchased, I somehow got some "corrupted data" onto my PS3 somehow during this process. This is data that CANNOT BE DELETED, no matter what.

If, like me, you have this problem already, and you like using custom soundtracks with Burnout Paradise, create a playlist specifically for Burnout (or make a playlist that includes everything but that corrupted data). If you just put it on shuffle for all your music, as soon as it hits corrupted data, the game will flip out and the frame-rate will go way down, the sound effects will be seriously fucked, DJ Atomica sounds like a broken record, etc.

Also with the PS3s interface having your entire Library is not exactly "user friendly." I love the PS3, but the interface for selecting media is a bit chunky once you get a ton on there.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's better than the alternative, though (the NXE on 360 or...nothing, on the Wii)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If only you could pull music off a media server while in game =(

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -pokes months-old thread-

I'm playing Burnout Paradise for the PC (yeah, yeah I know) - I picked it up back during some Steam sale and am finally getting around to playing it.

Being that I am terrible at this game - it is hilarious and fun and all, but I suck at it, truly - I need some help. I'm trying to finish the stunt runs and could barely break 150k with a Carson GT. I keep crashing into traffic/innocent pillars/the ground sideways after a jump/whatever, after linking together a handful of combo points at the easiest Billboards to reach. Yeah, even when driving slowly. I'm not a very good Burnout driver, to put it lightly (I think I crashed at least once in every Race event since getting past the A class license... and I've still managed to win every race. Huh.).

Then I read that Speed cars can generate 1000x boost points by chaining burnouts (one of the first results on Google for "stunt run burnout paradise"), so I grabbed a slow Speed car, ran up an ~8 multiplier, snuck onto the I-88 on the oncoming side and racked up 2.2 million on my first try. Neat. But I'm pretty sure that's not how I'm supposed to do it...

So: (1) is the Carson GT just not all that great for Stunt runs? It handles pretty well for steering and such, and it seems to be the Stunt car with the highest Strength stat, which I thought might help with all the crashing. Or maybe I just suck that badly, crashing all over the place when trying to land a jump.

(2) how high do the Stunt Run goals go? It started pretty low but it seems to be increasing fast. Does it increase at a faster rate later? Can I beat all the Stunt runs with a Speed car? o_O

(3) An oddity with the Speed car attempt was that the I-88 seemed to be relatively empty, my pet theory is that moving along it too fast makes it spawn cars on the roads nearby and so it doesn't populate the I-88 heavily. Or maybe I'm just making shit up to explain an anecdotal observation to myself. y/n?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First thing you'll learn about stunt runs, and it appears that you are learning it: Speed kills.

No, really. If you are going too fast you won't be able to react. You need a car with good grip when you need it but the ability to chain drifts when you need to keep your combo going. Also, learning how to do barrel rolls on a flat road with the split jumps is imperative. There is a trick to it, that once you learn it will make your points skyrocket:
    flat spin into a barrel roll. Hit the E-brake, spin it, so your rear wheels go high and your front ones go low -- or vice versa -- and you'll rack up a 2-3x combo in one stunt, and even more if you do it off of a special jump or the mammoth jump near the quarry.

Also, don't be afraid to go for the cheap points. Know how to get to billboards easily and quickly.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stunt runs was easily the most tedious and un-fun part of Burnout Paradise for me. I never bothered to finish them.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stunt runs was easily the most tedious and un-fun part of Burnout Paradise for me. I never bothered to finish them.

I disagree. Get going on the loop around the giant lake, or the interstate, and just pulling off crazy drifts is incredibly satisfying. It's only when you get into the "stunt areas," where the maps are littered with jumps and instant-death pillars, that things get dicey. That's why you avoid them. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Stunt Run is basically Tony Hawk in a car. You can do any of them in any car once you know the knack.

Basically, don't boost constantly. Boosting will restart your timer pie (although I guess it's not a pie any more), but any amount of boost hits it back to full. So if your combo's about to run out, tap the boost to keep it alive. If you don't have any boost, you can't keep your combo going, and if you're going too fast, you're much more likely to wreck.

My favourite route started on the I-88, down through the train yard in the north, clockwise around the city hitting the beach jumps, dockyard and construction site in the east, then down across the pier and over the bridge leading to the mountains. Then drift up the road, into the quarry, double or triple barrel roll into it, find your way out either way and then head back down the drift road, taking the clifftop jump for another few barrel rolls, and then back across the bridge and back the way I came. Any stunt run challenge can link into this route somewhere.

I preferred Stunt cars for them, as Speed cars require a lot more attention to get high multipliers with the burnouts, and to keep it going you have to be in oncoming traffic. This way is much more reliable.

Willeth on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    My favourite route started on the I-88, down through the train yard in the north, clockwise around the city hitting the beach jumps, dockyard and construction site in the east, then down across the pier and over the bridge leading to the mountains. Then drift up the road, into the quarry, double or triple barrel roll into it, find your way out either way and then head back down the drift road, taking the clifftop jump for another few barrel rolls, and then back across the bridge and back the way I came. Any stunt run challenge can link into this route somewhere.

This sounds a bit like the route I used as well, except I did the quarry first and then went back towards the city.

It's been ages since I played this so I can't recall which car I used, I started with a relatively slow, grippy one and then moved on to one of the top-tier cars when I got to know the city better and could actually control it.

Fun fact: You can get almost every single billboard, crash gate and super jump with your starting car, it's actually quite decent for stunts.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aw, nobody answered any of my three questions :(
    Athenor wrote: »
    First thing you'll learn about stunt runs, and it appears that you are learning it: Speed kills.

Yeah, I know, I'm already driving pretty slow when attempting a stunt with a stunt car. As in, coasting along with nothing but the boost tap every time the timer threatens to end. And then I run into a truck.

I'm concerned about the split ramps thing, the only time I've managed to get a barrel roll going on one of those was through unintentionally swerving into it. Any of the times I try it deliberately I seem to end up upside down...
    Willeth wrote: »

I preferred Stunt cars for them, as Speed cars require a lot more attention to get high multipliers with the burnouts, and to keep it going you have to be in oncoming traffic. This way is much more reliable.

What sort of multipliers were you getting with that route? o_O

Speed cars, well, you don't get multipliers on the I-88 easily. But you can get a very high base score to multiply, it seems!

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't remember. Easily over 25x. You want multipliers and not a base score.

As regards split ramps, you want only your wheels to be touching the split so you have the maximum rotation. You can do barrel rolls off any ramp in the game if you hit it right.

Willeth on