As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

¡El tema de Pokémon! ¡Ya salieron HeartGold y SoulSilver!

• FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isn't it pretty much the reason there's a bunch of crazy-ass trades on the GTS because they're trying to clone their Pokémon? They're not real trades.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I gave some kid in Tennessee a Dialga for a Purguly once. I hope it made him happy.

BugBoy on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Veitsev wrote: »
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Does anyone have a Haunter(/Gengar) I could request via trade, at all? I don't know why people want so much for them on the wifi exchange.

Because the wi-fi exchange is fucking nuts.

Also the key to winning voltorb flip is to use the online calculator someone made. It makes things much faster and if you are going to make me give you 10,000 coins for a TM then fuck you I am gonna do something shady.

And they key to winning at the Pokelathon seems to be to stress speed over everything else. In pretty much every game (cept Power) pokemons with speed dominate everything. Raticate just owned everything. Oh and when playing the snow game just fuck up the pokemons to your direct left. I had 55 hits and that side had 11 because they were under constant bombardment.

Online whosa whatsit?

GTS. The abomination where people want Mews and surfing Pikachus for their level 1 ratattas.

EDIT: Oh you want the calculator: Here it is: http://esper.vacau.com/voltorb/index.php?

Yeah, I saw the edit AS I was quoting your post. Holy moly, that's neat.

silence1186 on
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone have a Haunter(/Gengar) I could request via trade, at all? I don't know why people want so much for them on the wifi exchange.

Because the wi-fi exchange is fucking nuts.

Also the key to winning voltorb flip is to use the online calculator someone made. It makes things much faster and if you are going to make me give you 10,000 coins for a TM then fuck you I am gonna do something shady.

And they key to winning at the Pokelathon seems to be to stress speed over everything else. In pretty much every game (cept Power) pokemons with speed dominate everything. Raticate just owned everything. Oh and when playing the snow game just fuck up the pokemons to your direct left. I had 55 hits and that side had 11 because they were under constant bombardment.

Online whosa whatsit?

GTS. The abomination where people want Mews and surfing Pikachus for their level 1 ratattas.

EDIT: Oh you want the calculator: Here it is: http://esper.vacau.com/voltorb/index.php?

Yeah, I saw the edit AS I was quoting your post. Holy moly, that's neat.

It works extremely well until you get to Level 4 and then the odds start getting to close to 50-50 per for you to win very much. At that point it usually takes 3-4 turns to get past level 4. I have gotten to level 6 with it before. 5000+ coins so far with the little thing. Got me my Dratini and Abra early on.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I caught a Dratini in the pokewalker, so no need to even mess with the Game Corner

I just squeeeeeeeaked by the Elite 4. I went in only expecting to grind, but I did really well against the first 3

Finished it with everyone fainted save only for Feraligatr standing against Lance's Charizard. Used Surf with 19 HP left and about half of his HP left, but it was a solid KO.

Now I'm cracking open Leaf Green. I never played those remakes, and I'm feeling nostalgic.

But Leaf Green is pretty much only going to be my Pal Park bitch

Going to track down a used Emerald too, but they wanted $30 for it at GS. Fuck off.

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OK, so I just got SS today; heading toward the first gym - is Mud Sport (or any of the other 'sports) ever any good (trying to figure what to replace on mah Geodude)?

Also, loving the new interface and pokewalker. Possibly terribly ironically, one o them thar vidja games is probably going to make me far more exercise conscious than before...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No, Mud Sport is one of those rare moves that's almost entirely awful.

BugBoy on
  • ZachVeedleZachVeedle Common Writer HenshinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just beat level 4 with it.
    Very interesting how I need a program in order to do this, because it is PURE LUCK otherwise.

ZachVeedle on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ZachVeedle wrote: »
    I just beat level 4 with it.
    Very interesting how I need a program in order to do this, because it is PURE LUCK otherwise.

It's now complete luck.

Well most of it is, but I was able to basically do what the program does till about lvl 3.

Then I just lose all the time.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So wait.

I have all 16 badges. Yet Oak won't give me my Kanto starter

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    No, Mud Sport is one of those rare moves that's almost entirely awful.
    TY.

Also, levelling Weedle to 15 for Bug Bite; y/pointless?

Mr_Rose on
    edited March 2010
    hmmm

So my Leaf Green's save battery was dead, so I exchanged it at GS just now.

But now I think I'm going to wait to start it until I get the Pal Park. The person whose save this is has some pretty nice pokemon, including legendaries...

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    TY.

Also, levelling Weedle to 15 for Bug Bite; y/pointless?
    Bug Bite might be useful on Beedrill, since all of his other Bug moves are multi-hit affairs. I've noticed those tend to lose power as the game goes on.

BugBoy on
  • LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    anyone around to do a tradeback quick to evolve my kadabra

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
    edited March 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    So wait.

Beat Red. Go to him then.

ZachVeedle on
    edited March 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Bug Bite might be useful on Beedrill, since all of his other Bug moves are multi-hit affairs. I've noticed those tend to lose power as the game goes on.
    Yeah. Also, only spending one level as penis-mon is a bonus too, never mind getting Twineedle the next level...pity about Focus Energy, but then I never found it to be that critical (hur hur) most of the time.

Mr_Rose on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ZachVeedle wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    So wait.

Beat Red. Go to him then.

Seriously?

I mean, I knew the Hoenn starters had that requirment, but the Kanto ones too?

Darn.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2010
    Lubony wrote: »
    anyone around to do a tradeback quick to evolve my kadabra

I would but I don't think there's a way to do that on the SS Aqua, when I'm currently stuck on :(

I need some tradebacks too

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    let me know when you get off it ill be around for a bit

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
    edited March 2010
    probably not for a couple hours, but ok

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't know if they changed this for Platinum/HG/SS, but this worked for me in Diamond when I needed to evolve a Porygon: Put that Haunter up for trade for something ridiculous or impossible (ie, level 1 legendary). Exit the GTS. Go back in and withdraw the Haunter. If it still works, this will count as a trade for the purposes of evolution.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited March 2010
    The trouble with that is that people are perfectly willing to hack in something impossible. If you use that strategy, do it quickly.

BugBoy on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't know if they changed this for Platinum/HG/SS, but this worked for me in Diamond when I needed to evolve a Porygon: Put that Haunter up for trade for something ridiculous or impossible (ie, level 1 legendary). Exit the GTS. Go back in and withdraw the Haunter. If it still works, this will count as a trade for the purposes of evolution.

I did it by putting it up for trade for something impossible, then searching for a pokemon and trading for it, then taking my pokemon back out.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or put the Haunter up for trade and ask for a same level or higher level Haunter in return. That way you win whether or not somebody trades with you.

A friend of mine trades same for same on the GTS with every single Pokemon she uses, in order to get the xp bonus. I`d do it too if I weren`t too attached to the silly nicknames I give my Pokes.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just grabbed a Gengar directly. Someone wanted a level 40+ Meowth. Which is odd? I had one at level 28 already, so powered it through to 40.

I really wanted the Gengar because someone was offering a level 1 Piplup for a level 50+ Gengar. And the Gengar I was after was level ... 50. :mrgreen: That's all three Sinnoh starters for me, now.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I need to come up with a moveset for my Donphan (single player campaign exclusive), so I was thinking:

-Earthquake
    -Assurance
    -Thunder Fang
    -Fire Fang

I know it's a basic sweeper set, but again, I'm just using this for single-player mode. Any other ideas?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited March 2010
    That's cool, I'll have to try that GTS method

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been thinking about how everyone hates the GTS... So if anyone wants a certain non-legendary for their single player run (or just really wants one,) I can go breed/hunt it for them.

Adellios on
    edited March 2010
    I like the GTS

I hate the "seek" option, but any trade I put up gets take within a day or so. It's how I've gotten the Kanto starters and Feraligatr, in addition to a ton of SoulSilver-only pokemon

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Earlier today I bred a Marill (f.) and a Poilwhirl (m.). Why was a Marill born of their union? I thought it was the top of the female's evolutionary line.. :S

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or put the Haunter up for trade and ask for a same level or higher level Haunter in return. That way you win whether or not somebody trades with you.

A friend of mine trades same for same on the GTS with every single Pokemon she uses, in order to get the xp bonus. I`d do it too if I weren`t too attached to the silly nicknames I give my Pokes.

I'm the same way, I won't give up the awesome names I give my pokemon. Abe, Lennon, Barack and Tesla are too good to give up on.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheFid, if you're stuck on SS Aqua or whatsitsname, we'll trade tomorrow if you can ;) I'm afraid I don't have much to offer asides from weedles or pidgeys heh

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe you need two marills or a marill + ditto?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You always get the earliest evolution when you breed unless it's a specific baby pokemon. In that case, you'll need a certain incense on the female to breed it.

Adellios on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm really disliking how specific the timed daily/weekly events are in HGSS. I work night shift during the week, so I'm usually up at weird hours. In order to get all the phone numbers for the gym leader rematches, I pretty much have to tweak the DS clock constantly if I don't want to have to plan my daily schedule around it.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited March 2010
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    TheFid, if you're stuck on SS Aqua or whatsitsname, we'll trade tomorrow if you can ;) I'm afraid I don't have much to offer asides from weedles or pidgeys heh

just got off of it, you around?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just grabbed a Gengar directly. Someone wanted a level 40+ Meowth. Which is odd? I had one at level 28 already, so powered it through to 40.

I really wanted the Gengar because someone was offering a level 1 Piplup for a level 50+ Gengar. And the Gengar I was after was level ... 50. :mrgreen: That's all three Sinnoh starters for me, now.

Meowth can have the Pickup ability and the random items it finds depends on what level it is. A few of us sought and got level 90+ Phanphies in D/P since they're guaranteed to have Pickup.
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    I like the GTS

I hate the "seek" option, but any trade I put up gets take within a day or so. It's how I've gotten the Kanto starters and Feraligatr, in addition to a ton of SoulSilver-only pokemon

Yes, the seek is horrible. There seems to be some sort of limiter that filters what offers you get to see too. Frustrating to see only 2 offerings for a Pokemon when you know there must be more out there.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I search I end up going through a few regions. US, Canada, UK, Mexico, Australia. Everywhere else is either empty or filled with nothing but stupid trades.

Docshifty on
    edited March 2010
    Hold up... Are we going to be needing to make a new thread soon? :'(

ZachVeedle on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quick question bro's. How long/what do I have to do to get this damn game to change from night to day? I want a Gastly (just got the game) but hell if it will go to night time. I've gotten my geodude 12 levels and its still daytime and I am furious.

Topia on