As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Medical Symbols.

IncendaxIncendax Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Lately I have been really frustrated by the use of the Caduceus in modern medical symbolism, as opposed to the Rod of Asclepius. I was recently watching Fear Clinic and it appears in that series as well.

What do you think? Am I off my rocker or is it inappropriate for medical professionals to use the Caduceus as a symbol of their profession?

Incendax on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    No one not DEEP into the medical profession could possibly care about this. I looked up both symbols on wikipedia, and even that tells me that there is a much debate over the topic.

But again, your man-on-the-street, if this was explained to them, would reply "so what?"

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it seems the caduceus was adopted by a marines medical branch, which kinda fit for them, but it confused others and now it is more widespread

The Black Hunter on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a symbol. It's not like you get inferior care from people using the caduceus.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The burning issues of the day.

Zsetrek on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish the symbols were protected

I walked by a chelation clinic yesterday and almost walked in and chelated all over their floor

Robman on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Caduceus should only be used by Sex reassignment surgeons.

DanHibiki on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Incendax wrote: »
    Lately I have been really frustrated by the use of the Caduceus in modern medical symbolism, as opposed to the Rod of Asclepius. I was recently watching Fear Clinic and it appears in that series as well.

What do you think? Am I off my rocker or is it inappropriate for medical professionals to use the Caduceus as a symbol of their profession?

Highly.

It's silliness itself.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    like words and language meaning of symbols can and do change all the time

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Perhaps, but in this case the whole situation arises solely out of ignorance.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Which is par for the course with language changes.

Phoenix-D on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not the gradual changing of the meaning of symbols

it's people mistakenly using the symbol of the silver tongued trickster instead of the symbol of hippocrates

The Black Hunter on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I prefer medicine adopt the swastika, myself

but I hear it has negative connotations?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But again, your man-on-the-street, if this was explained to them, would reply "so what?"

Death to all non-pedants.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Only people who hate the life-granting sun say that. And Jews.

Cervetus on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know I can't believe that people are not taking to the streets right now. Society is doomed as long as this travesty persists.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

yup

the Caduceus looks much cooler, anyway

Evander on
    edited March 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

yup

the Caduceus looks much cooler, anyway

seriously
    whats cooler than one snake
    2 snakes

and wings

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One could also argue that the Rod of Asclepius is an inappropriate symbol itself, because it is actually a symbol of an ancient god, and medicine should be about science, not prayer.

Evander on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Caduceus is so much more badass than the lame old Rod of Asclepius. Maybe if we want the rod to get better adoption, we should jazz it up a little. Make it pop!

I'm thinking some badass flame decals and maybe a lens flare.

Donkey Kong on
    edited March 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    One could also argue that the Rod of Asclepius is an inappropriate symbol itself, because it is actually a symbol of an ancient god, and medicine should be about science, not prayer.

You've got to have faith that
    a) you're not carrying MRSA on your scrubs
    b) the bed linens were actually sterilized since the last person was on them
    c) there are no failures at any point in the chain of care to replace gloves/wash hands between patients
    d) none of the equipment is contaminated
    e) the patient isn't going to up and die for no good reason
    f) if they're going to die, the do so on someone else's shift

or else you'll go crazy.

Robman on
    edited March 2010
    The Caduceus is so much more badass than the lame old Rod of Asclepius. Maybe if we want the rod to get better adoption, we should jazz it up a little. Make it pop!

I'm thinking some badass flame decals and maybe a lens flare.

this is the logo of the organization that I volunteer for
    rockmed.jpg
    yes, its based on the caduceus, yes thats some sort of historical travesty

the question you have to ask yourself is

is it badass? hell yes it is

do people recognize us as medical personnel and trust that we have their best interests at heart? yes they do

then really? who the hell cares

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that is a bad-ass medical clinic right there

Pony on
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking more like this:

rod.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    edited March 2010
    dk did you just whip that up right now

Pony on
    edited March 2010
    Fuck yeah. 3am graphic design.

Donkey Kong on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

rod.jpg

That uh...

Um...

Kinda looks like it should be penetrating something.

Quid on
    edited March 2010
    Fuck yeah. 3am graphic design.

that is totally awesome

dk do all the graphic design for my company ever

Pony on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Knoll light factory shenanigans!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited March 2010

rod.jpg

There's a funny Star Trek joke there, but I'm too tired to think of it.

Robman on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I strongly prefer the Caduceus.

When I see the Caduceus, the wings make me think of swiftness as it relates to the timeliness of medicine - response times, triage, and the golden hour.

When I see the Asclepius, I can't help but imagine some old greek dude with a beard using it to tug a parasitic worm out of somebody's ass.

Okay, so it's not precisely historically accurate but who gives a shit?

Honestly, my preferred symbol is the Red Crystal. It's iconic, easily identified from a distance, and does not reference a particular religion.

My least favorite? The Red Cross. The cross as a symbol just sort of creeps me out in general - an instrument of execution should not be used as a symbol for people who intend to save lives.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, Red Crystal is a cool symbol. Red Cross and Red Crescent just annoy me due to the possible religious connotations that have jack shit to do with saving lives.

And the mythology nut in me just gets annoyed how people couldn't be bothered to do the slightest amount of research, picking the Caduceus instead of the rod of Asclepius. Both are symbols of gods without a following, so their connotations are the ones that should matter. One is a symbol of medicine, one is a symbol of a messenger. It's all a result of ignorance, nothing less.

Not a big deal, but if you're going to take symbol from Greco-Roman myths for medicine, pick the one that actually has any relation to the subject.

Rhan9 on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh my god

I had no idea

I am going to feel silly every time I put on my uniform now

There is going to be a burning desire to tell everyone at work that we're wearing a symbol of theft and deception that I shall have to withhold because nobody else will care

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I strongly prefer the Caduceus.

When I see the Caduceus, the wings make me think of swiftness as it relates to the timeliness of medicine - response times, triage, and the golden hour.

When I see the Asclepius, I can't help but imagine some old greek dude with a beard using it to tug a parasitic worm out of somebody's ass.

Okay, so it's not precisely historically accurate but who gives a shit?

Honestly, my preferred symbol is the Red Crystal. It's iconic, easily identified from a distance, and does not reference a particular religion.

My least favorite? The Red Cross. The cross as a symbol just sort of creeps me out in general - an instrument of execution should not be used as a symbol for people who intend to save lives.

The cross and crescent are practical despite that; easy to construct and highly visible from a distance. So's the crystal, but I've never seen it before today.

I'm learning a lot from this thread :o

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

rod.jpg

It looks like Lowly Worm licking a honey dipper.

Aroused Bull on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Red Cross doesn't even register in my mind as remotely tied to Christianity or the executioner's tool; it just seems like a little plus sign raising your health. I have no problem with the Red Crystal though, although they might want to work on visibility because the first two google hits for Red Crystal pertain to WoW quests.

Cervetus on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I'm not mistaken, the Red Cross was derived from the Swiss flag, not directly from the Christian symbol. I'm sure most of the Swiss no longer consider their flag to be an explicitly Christian symbol.

Aroused Bull on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For reference:

Rod of Asclepius
    Rod%20of%20Asclepius.gif

Caduceus
    219229-caduceus01_large.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't really make a difference to me. Personally I like the red cross. It's not really the same as the Christian cross anyway, so I don't see the religious connotation. I mean shit, you wanna talk about bizarre connotations, why the fuck are so many snakes in hospitals?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because snakes were seen since forever to be a symbol of renewal and healing, due to their habit of shedding their old skin every now and then, revealing new skin under the old, damaged one. The negative connotations came later, mostly through the bible.

Rhan9 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010

I really hate how nazism hijacked the sun cross and the swastika. I think it's a really pretty symbol.

If anyone goes "olol you nazi" at this you're just proving my point.

Echo on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm glad the OP brought this to our attention, but I think people should be more concerned about the Satanic connotations of the snakes in both symbols. The Caduceus in particular is truly disturbing, because not only does it have two snakes, these snakes are obviously homosexual (probably lesbians).

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg