As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keynote Speech

matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off'Points to 'on'Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Who else made it into the theater? Snagged an aisle seat over on the right about 3/4ths the way back.

nibXTE7.png
matt has a problem on

• SpYkMoSpYkMo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I did, I was on an aisle with 1 open seat between me and another dude, but ended up 3rd seat in.
    It was really cool some of the d&d references I didn't get , other than that I really enjoyed it.
    Then the P.A panel was just hilarious.

SpYkMo on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also managed to go to both Talks.

the keynote was amazing. the Q&A was hilarious.

DRIPPING CUNT

Sharp101 on
  • SkybaseSkybase Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dripping cunt FTW! It's a shame that we weren't able to get them to tell the joke, however.

Wil was terrific, and as stated previously the Q&A was great.

"I do not understand 'what the fuck?' "

Skybase on
  • cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hopefully it gets posted online like his last one was. I was at least there for the first one and was able to link it to friends so they could hear it and I would love to be able to hear the keynote from east.

cSpooge on
  • HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was there.. was a great speech

HunterAngel on
    Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
  • SkybaseSkybase Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I"m kinda sad that I didn't get on here more often and get to know people a bit better. Still had someone to walk around with, but missed out on so much not coming here as often as I should have. (I came on somewhat often, but just for info and didn't really socialize)

Will be there for all 3 days so I'm sure I'll see many of you there however! :)

Skybase on
  • kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Enjoyed it thoroughly. Thought Wil did a great job.

It was well worth waiting in that line for hours and hours. I earned that keynote darnit. :mrgreen:

kitties_on_acid on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Was totally worth the 5-hour wait.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • riguitargodriguitargod Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I thought wil was great, but the Q&A lost my interest real quick. It's the sort of thing where you have to have people asking good questions for it to be good, and it sounds like maybe towards the end it got better. But I was starving at that point, and left for food about 10 minutes in.

But yeah, Wil was worth getting there early.

riguitargod on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wil NAILED IT. I lost my shit when he poured out water for the Companion Cube. But yeah...My first PAX and I feel HOME.

The Q&A was a RIOT. "You see a Fishing Pole" "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?!" Mike's reaction was awesome because it would've been mine too...W-T-to da-F

Also, the boxes that whoever it was gave them that looked like Super Mario blocks were f'n amazing.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    gilby123 wrote: »
    Wil NAILED IT. I lost my shit when he poured out water for the Companion Cube. But yeah...My first PAX and I feel HOME.

The Q&A was a RIOT. "You see a Fishing Pole" "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?!" Mike's reaction was awesome because it would've been mine too...W-T-to da-F

Also, the boxes that whoever it was gave them that looked like Super Mario blocks were f'n amazing.

this this and this again.

managed to get in on the upper deck, and loved every second of it. so far the whole day has been just amazing, and am sure it'll just be bigger and better tomorrow.

can't wait!

Wraith260 on
  • WhereMyArmWhereMyArm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone happen to know what rap song it was that was remixed with the Mario Kart 64 race theme that played before the keynote? Or better yet, does anyone knows a link to that remix? Thanks.

WhereMyArm on
  • jabrazellejabrazelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was sorely disappointed that after waiting two hours I could not get into either the keynote or the first PA panel. The main hall is too small for this event methinks. I really wanted to see Wil speak and put my name in for a chance at the omegathon. Hopefully they look for a bigger place next year. There were hundreds of people that didn't get to go in.

But I went out and found fun at the rest of the show, still plenty of stuff to do and see. Good times.

jabrazelle on
  • agracruagracru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Will's speech was incredibly well-written and even better articulated; his line about games being the mortar that kept his friends together for more than two decades spoke volumes to me, and I imagine to a great number of others audience members. Case in point, I'm attending PAX with college friends that I haven't seen in years, and with whom I've had many of my favorite and most meaningful gaming moments and experiences. PAX, as well as gaming, brought us together this year. Wheaton's words are more true than he may realize.

The Q and A I adored as well if only because after more than a decade of reading Tycho's words and gazing at Gabe's art, I finally (finally) got to see the people behind the strip and hear them speak. Even if some of that speaking involved that Adventure Castle guy's sales pitch (which may have left Gabe psychologically scarred for life, Shawnee Smith style), and of course, drooling cunts.

agracru on
    You can't debate Ann Coulter because it would be like debating a Dadaist on why the sugarsnorklefickle 70,300.00 burglefish$ camera.

Something Useful To Everybody: My movie blog
  • 50 More Trash50 More Trash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KeyNot was awesome... worth the 5 hours might be debatable, but I forgot about the wait once Wil kicked it up a notch... so I guess it was worth the wait.

Q&A... hrmm... I really wish people would ask more thought out questions other than "You guys are awesome, so awesome, tell us about being awesome, here's a weird inside joke you might not get, isn't it awesome?"

I mean yeah, Gabe and Tycho are awesome, but we all know that, we are attending their convention! The best questions were about what games they play, life at the office, the creative process etc... I found those ones more interesting.

50 More Trash on
  • SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    agreed. on line atm to meet wil, looking forward to thanking him for another great speech.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I repeat my PAX09 suggestion - CCTV the main theater :(

enforcer powers were not enough to get me in at T-30min

karlthepagan on
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone posted an audio of Wil's keynote yet? I am stuck in Cali and would love to hear it!!!

Rayman on
    edited March 2010
    Rayman wrote: »
    Has anyone posted an audio of Wil's keynote yet? I am stuck in Cali and would love to hear it!!!

We were up close, and my buddy recorded the whole hour of it on his iPhone. I'll try to get him to cut it into parts and post it.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I just saw one posted up at Joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/27/wil-wheatons-state-of-the-geek-union-address-delivered-during-p/

Edit: Forgot to post the link

Tertiee on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I did not. :( I hope for next year the keynote is in a much larger place and there's an overflow room we can atleast watch it live on a screen or something.

DrunkMc on
  • nutternutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I barely made it in the theater, but was sitting in the back corner pretty much behind the stage. Wil made an hour of speaking in front of a huge crowd look easy and seem quick. Awesome.

nutter on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I repeat my PAX09 suggestion - CCTV the main theater :(

enforcer powers were not enough to get me in at T-30min

Seriously, that's my only complaint - Lines LOL WTF. Having to wait an hour plus for every panel is very sad. Awesome time though. Glad I got to thank Gabe due to a random bathroom encounter in the morning (not what it sounds like. Will be nice once they nail the crowd effect.

schuss on
  • MattBoySlimMattBoySlim Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

We were up close, and my buddy recorded the whole hour of it on his iPhone. I'll try to get him to cut it into parts and post it.

I am said buddy. I recorded all 55 minutes of video to my iPhone, which turned out better than I expected. We were only a few rows back, so you can hear him pretty well (though the sound goes bonkers when the intro music plays or when everyone is cheering...I wish I could manually set the gain or something, but if I wanted all that I should've brought a camcorder). Since Gabe & Tycho seemed to think there wouldn't be a DVD for PAX East 2010, I wonder if this'll be the only full length copy of the keynote? I saw at least one guy with a camcorder on a monopod, so maybe there's a higher quality copy out there.

Anyway! I had a hard time cutting it or re-encoding it in the hotel room on my crappy laptop, but I finally got it small enough to upload to Vimeo in one file (instead of cutting it into 6 for YouTube and their annoying 10 minute restriction). We'll see how it looks when Vimeo is done with it.

MattBoySlim on
  • MattBoySlimMattBoySlim Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Here's the link to the video on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/10515989

It says it'll start encoding in 23 minutes, so I say give it about an hour and we'll see how it turned out.

MattBoySlim on
  • LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's up on Youtube as well; here's the link to the first part:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLDfAgbOh4
    It's 6 parts total because of youtube's size restrictions, but it's got good sound quality.

Loweryi on
  • AlanielAlaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's the whole thing in video. Seemed like he was getting choked up for a minute. Very awesome, wish I was there.

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,74236357001_0,00.html

Alaniel on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love when Wil throws out gaming references.

parabola on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Even not live, this is really good. :)

Next year, for the love of GOD , have overflow rooms with live broadcasts!

DrunkMc on
  • jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Missed out on the Keynote cuz we only got inton Boston around the opening time but I'm looking forward to listening to it, I've listened to his original several times and it's still awesome. Caught the Q&A and I agree with previous posters, it had hilarious parts (the Mystery Castle bit was terrific cuz of Mike I'm glad they went along with it as long as they did) but some of the questions fell short of interesting or entertainig. It was still really cool to see the guys in person though. I didn't see them hardly at all through the weekend and it was great when I did.

jar37 on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does anyone have video of the Q&A panels and/or Scott Kurtz's panel?

John Matrix on
    edited March 2010
    Here's the link to the video on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/10515989

It says it'll start encoding in 23 minutes, so I say give it about an hour and we'll see how it turned out.

Awesome!

capnjack on
  • TriskTrisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I unforunately missed the keynote due to walking a mile in the wrong direction after getting off the bus, d'oh!

Glad to hear it went well, thanks to all who have posted it!

Trisk on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I assume it'll be on the community DVD, but this. Apparently it was freaking hilarious. We were at the concert Saturday night but the Blamination panel and the Pitch Your Game panel were hilarious and Scott Kurtz is freakishly funny in person.

Delmain on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Delmain wrote: »

I assume it'll be on the community DVD, but this. Apparently it was freaking hilarious. We were at the concert Saturday night but the Blamination panel and the Pitch Your Game panel were hilarious and Scott Kurtz is freakishly funny in person.

QFT.

I missed Kurtz's PVP panel watching the concert, but the two he was on Sunday morning were hilarious. The Blamation one was a riot "I have a boil!"

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • agracruagracru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Delmain wrote: »

Seconded. I saw Scott at the Pitch Your Game panel and he was just blisteringly hilarious.

agracru on
    You can't debate Ann Coulter because it would be like debating a Dadaist on why the sugarsnorklefickle 70,300.00 burglefish$ camera.

Something Useful To Everybody: My movie blog
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thank you so much everyone who posted this, I was not able to make the keynote, its amazing!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

This discussion has been closed.