As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a bit o' illustration.

Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Artist's Corner
working on developing this character a little bit. very wip, more to come.

Trying to develop a little bit of a unique illustrative style.

m76fwh.jpg
1hcvnb.jpg
rbct45.jpg

Crazy Old Morise on

• rootroot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yes, I am in favor of these drawings. I am prepared to vote for them in the upcoming primaries.

root on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, fuck. I really dig your style! I'd love to see these fully fleshed out, and colored.

The chick's pose (at least I think it's a chick) in the second one is really flat, and stiff though.

Buckwolfe on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You gotta like a guy with a Seth Bullock avatar.

Guy Bell on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Really cool concepts, but the girls lack of ears is somewhat distracting.

earthwormadam on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh my who are you and why are you not in my butt already

RubberAC on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RubberAC wrote: »
    oh my who are you and why are you not in my butt already

Because I was here first! Unggh ungfhh erf erf ahh ahhh oh god oh god AHHHhhhhhhhrrrrrffff........was it good for you?

Mustang on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wanna be just like you some day when I reincarnate.

Arden Canelo on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Be careful with the different posings of the last character, the length of her legs and torso are changing from pose to pose. If you drew some check lines you would see that while her head maintains approximately the same height, the waist does not. Specifically, in the third and fourth poses the legs appear to be shorter.

JohnTWM on
  • Tubesteak SamuraiTubesteak Samurai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You're art has an interesting quality. For the first second or two I'm pretty sure that it sucks but am immediately aware of how wrong I was. I'd like to see more backgrounds by you.

Tubesteak Samurai on
  • BroganBrogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Really nice stuff you have there. I wish I had a little bit bigger of a monitor so I didn't have to pan across it. I really like the second sketch you have there.

Brogan on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're developing a turnaround, you should probably keep the same pose for the character, all the way around (the first pose looks like it'd be best for this). Additional poses should be separate, but can certainly be helpful in understanding how your character moves, her clothing, her attitude, etc. For the back pose, you can just flip the front pose, and erase all the internal details, leaving the silhouette...and then fill in the details for her back. This would ensure that she's got the same dimensions and proportions for that.

(also, your images are huuuuuge, if you could scale them down a bit, they'd be easier to read as whole pieces).

NightDragon on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really love this. All of it! I don't care if it breaks my h-scroll!

I want it to break more!

Cristoval on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Uh, I guess as far as criticism goes, your female character doesn't look too appealing when viewed from profile.

Cristoval on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Watch your proportions.

I'm all for style, but you're breaking a few fundamental rules here. Look for that during your next batch of concepts.

Godfather on
  • RazzagRazzag Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think it's great!
    good job

Razzag on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Watch your proportions.

I'm all for style, but you're breaking a few fundamental rules here. Look for that during your next batch of concepts.

I couldn't disagree more actually. I think the proportions are pretty wonderful.

Wassermelone on
    edited February 2010
    Watch your proportions.

I couldn't disagree more actually. I think the proportions are pretty wonderful.

Arms too long, head to stretched far away from the body, torsos that are too elongated and not wide enough.

Then again, I am currently getting beat to death over the head with this stuff, so i'm going to be picky. I don't want him to fix it, just keep that in mind for the next batch.

Godfather on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Watch your proportions.

Arms too long, head to stretched far away from the body, torsos that are too elongated and not wide enough.

Then again, I am currently getting beat to death over the head with this stuff, so i'm going to be picky. I don't want him to fix it, just keep that in mind for the next batch.

And? I wasn't saying the proportions are correct as far as real human proportions, but that they are part and parcel of what makes these illustrations lovely. I think 'fixing' them in the next batch would do a lot to remove a lot of the charm I feel from these.

Wassermelone on
    edited February 2010
    Its just a slight adjustment duder. Come on now.

Godfather on
  • Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wow, thank you guys for the really positive feedback! When I posted here long ago it was not so rosy a picture. : p

Here is something fresh:

summer.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1265173675067

I intend to finish all of these, but I always get sidetracked with new ideas. Oh vell.

14u9izo.jpg
    33tte2w.jpg

Crazy Old Morise on
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love you and want to start a club with you of bad ass female characters with swords.

You can be president.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    really loving this last piece
    gorgeous use of really economical lines

welcome to the forums ps!

beavotron on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crazy good, dude. They're the kind of fluid pieces that are begging to be animated!

Zsetrek on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just saw you post over at polycount with this character! :) Do you do any 3D work?

NightDragon on
    edited February 2010
    I know my way around maya but honestly I really suck at it. My personal goal is to improve a lot at hand painted textures this spring and summer.

example of current lameness:

9acxsj.jpg
    ousjmv.jpg

note: this is from summer 09

Crazy Old Morise on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My good sir. This is some fab shit.

What do you use?

(update with page carry)

Your illustrations, I mean.

Linespider5 on
    edited February 2010
    I pretty much only use photoshop, but I want to get into Painter sometime soon, since I see a lot of people using that.

Anyways, this is coming along:
    2u7lk3q.jpg

Crazy Old Morise on
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man I should really check up on this thread more often. I love your textures and your recent poster pin up looks great.
    IDK what you mean for a more natural feel to your texture because they look delicious already.
    My only quips
    zoop1.jpg
    Would be her adorable feet's feeling like there weighted to the ground and connecting the rhythm from her torso through to her shoulder.
    Other then that I adore your style and what your doing here good sir.
    If your going to try and use painter here's some warnings.
    One-It does react like a canvas. Say if you do a picture in complete oils then dry the canvas, the colours you laid down are still going to react like oils when you use say an airbrush or a scratch board tool to try and smooth/refine your lines. Which is probably one of the more annoying/fun aspects of Painter. If you want the closest you can get to a natural digital canvas go with it, but it's a lot better if you already have used oils, watercolours and ect IRL. Since the program prides itself on doing the exact digitally. Also Painter has no texture brushes like Photo shop. It's more or less you just knowing what painting tools make what texture which is also problematic if your running on a deadline and don't have time to futz with brushes.

I don't know much on Photo shop but rather it seems good for hyper detail and sharp images. And Image editing. Painter is good for a more digital painterly feel. So Clean versus Organic. Though Painter is TERRIBLE for compression so its just best to say your painter files as .tiffs or .psds and do your compression saving in Photo shops.

Honestly there are a lot of artists who like to use both programs. They do their base paints and main work in Painter then take it into Photo shop and add layers and tweak it. But most industries push for Photoshop since it has clean results and good compression rates which is great for printing.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
    edited February 2010
    wow thanks for the feedback ikage. It's really great to see your thoughts applied directly to the drawing. : )

I've been absolutely dying to draw the past few days but I've had to focus on a level design project that I have no interest in. I'll be back on the old art wagon this weekend!

Crazy Old Morise on
    edited March 2010
    heres a new wip, trying to figure out how to make him read more as a rebel-type faction without relying on cliches (bandannas, the like)

33wy03p.jpg

Crazy Old Morise on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want your style, It's awesome and so unique
    The line economy and the atmosphere, it's all so cool. How did you develope your style like that?
    The guy pulling out an arrow reminds me a bit of b.p.r.d a bit like this http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/wendigocomic.jpg
    damnit so original

m3nace on
    edited March 2010
    m3nace wrote: »
    I want your style, It's awesome and so unique
    The line economy and the atmosphere, it's all so cool. How did you develope your style like that?
    The guy pulling out an arrow reminds me a bit of b.p.r.d a bit like this http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/wendigocomic.jpg
    damnit so original

wow thank you so much for the kind words. that means a lot to me especially since Guy Davis is absolutely my favorite sequential artist.

as for developing my drawings... I really don't know, I guess it mainly comes from the frustration of trying to draw what my brain is imagining and doing that over and over and over? Something like that.

I wouldn't call it a style yet as I'm still a far, far cry from anything of a professional level like Mr. Davis or anyone like that. But again, thank you, sent my motivation to draw sky high for today : D

Crazy Old Morise on