As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tax Returns 2010

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyGZYY9o6M

We just filed ours for "free" and are getting a few grand back. The plan is to pad our savings and pay for initial pet expenses brought on by our new dog. Also, a night out at Yard House as a nice treat and theoretically economy stimulus.

What are you doing with your tax cash monies? What do you think of that jerk spending his return on a dog and beer?

Quid on

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am buying a brand new laptop with the ~$1500 I am getting back.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I might buy a foosball table.

Or a PS3, not really sure.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I paid seven bucks so my parents could get an extra grand claiming me as a dependent. Sweet deal.

Tam on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I owe the IRS money. So no splurging for me. =/

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gonna completely pay off a credit card and be a hell of a lot closer to being non-student loan debt free.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my refund about a month ago, its in the bank with the rest of my money.

I haven't done anything with it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I owe the IRS money. So no splurging for me. =/

For some reason my job doesn't withhold any money.

So tax day is going to be bad for me.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Paying off my cell phone bill. Renewing my license plates for my car. Bought a stockpile of booze.

I'm tempted to buy an xbox 360 game, but I don't think I should.

edit: If i was employed and actually had income right now, I would have dumped the whole thing into my credit card without thinking twice.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We're getting the homeowner tax credit this year, so that's nice.... most of it will go into savings, and we're earmarking a couple thousand to buy ourselves our honeymoon trip this fall.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got back $27 this year. Got some take out with it.

Hell of a lot better then the $1250 I owed last year. Boy, did that ever suck.

Loathing on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I put it back in the bank. There will always be need for money later on.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll be putting mine towards getting a new car to replace my '97 Bonneville with 253,000 miles, a leaky transmission, and a broken power steering pump.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You have just reminded me that I need to go to the tax office and see if I am due any money back on my taxes..... thank you thread.

Johannen on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mine was sitting in my savings until I realized I was doing nothing with my money for myself. So now it'll be funding a trip during the summer, most likely to D.C.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm actually filing for an extension. My healthcare HSA allocations got borked and I need time to figure out how the hell I'm going to fix it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I find myself filing for an extension too, but that's because one of the places that paid me money doesn't exist anymore and didn't send me a W2 and blargh

taxman probably doesn't really care because I doubt I owe him much if any money, but still

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I definitely owe Uncle Sam some money

But getting this HSA business straightened out might mean the difference between owing several hundred dollars and owing a few grand.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think going out to eat at a non-chain restaurant is actually a pretty good economic stimulus. The profits are slim for the owner. The money you pay goes in a fair proportion into labor and food cost (which has a long supply chain with more $ going to labor).

Speaker on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gamestop was running a deal on XBOX 360 bundles ... what a coincidence the sale starts when people are receiving their refunds.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How does one get their former employers to send them W2s?

MrMister on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got about $300, which is going into savings for next year for when I will be an incomeless law student.

Minus the cost of Pokemon Soul Silver.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks to my wife being a full time student at a stupidly expensive college we got about 5k back from the IRS. We celebrated our last year of this kind of windfall by going to Denver for about 5 days to hang out with old friends. Then we're just gonna save up the rest for when we move in 3-6 months for whatever job not in this tiny town we find. Also maybe gonna buy a TV that isn't 10 years old and 90 pounds.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

They're required to do it by law, so generally speaking, one merely needs to ask.

Feral on

• Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »

They're required to do it by law, so generally speaking, one merely needs to ask.

W2 = T4 for us Canadian folks? If so, yes the employer has to mail it to you. If he didn't you can just stop by and ask for it.

Loathing on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tax return is going into savings. Probably going towards a ring.

James on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting a lot back, and I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with it. I remember reading about Obama's and McCain's tax plans back in '08 and it showed how most middle-income workers would fare quite a bit better under Obama's. I kinda stopped paying attention after he got elected, though. Was his tax plan ever implemented?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This year is my "take the standard deduction" year. Getting $1,300 back or so. Don't really have any plans to spend that particular money since "I could buy something expensive if I wanted to" has kind of been my state for a few years now. I don't know. Maybe I'll get Transporter 2 on bluray and say that's what I spent it on.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »

Please buy a synthetic diamond. They're bigger, cheaper and people don't have to die.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Please buy a synthetic diamond. They're bigger, cheaper and people don't have to die.

Canadian diamonds?

James on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Canadian diamonds?

They're ok. But not synthetic, and still connected to conflict diamonds since naturally people launder them. Synthetics are cheaper and close to indistinguishable (apart from being slightly magnetic).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

W2 = T4 for us Canadian folks? If so, yes the employer has to mail it to you. If he didn't you can just stop by and ask for it.

you can also contact the IRS and have them harp on the company until they give it to you or they might have a copy to provide you to do your taxes with since employers have to send the IRS tax information as well.

In canada I gues you'd contact the MRS (Mounted Revenue Service)

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

What about the millitary?

And whats the cut off for a parent to claim you on there taxes?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I only got back around $550 this year.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got around $1500 back. Went to catching up on a couple bills, knocking out some minor debt (paid off credit card and medical-test bill), and a nice dinner.

Stupid bills.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Got the homebuyer's credit in addition to writing off a ton of stuff: mortgage interest, student loan interest, property taxes, tuition from a final class, and some medical expenses. Overall we got about $10000 back. We paid off the car and are going to put a big dent in some student loans. I also bought a camera, but that was barely a drop in the bucket.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Got the homebuyer's credit in addition to writing off a ton of stuff: mortgage interest, student loan interest, property taxes, tuition from a final class, and some medical expenses. Overall we got about $10000 back. We paid off the car and are going to put a big dent in some student loans. I also bought a camera, but that was barely a drop in the bucket.

Wow! Grats!

Feral on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I was in greenland for half the year and my company did some sort of estimated tax withholding and some of my income was tax-free. We retained some firm to do my taxes and they are still working on it.

Basically, I am supposed to break even if they did their job right, but odds are pretty good that i am going to owe a lot.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used the ~750 that I will likely get back, as a reason to dump $500 into my Roth, to which I hadn't contributed much recently. However it's also being used as a justification for me extending my vacation this summer and doing a little sightseeing.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I paid off the like $600 in parking tickets my university fucked me with, and bought my new computer.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

High class prostitute who'll do anything?

Johannen on