As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dealng with punks.

dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm in an odd set of circumstances.

I walk to a bar a couple times a week to play pool and watch some sports. There's a group of kids who hang around lately being general douchebags. Everything from calling people faggots and yelling across the parking lot to getting in their faces.

Essentially they roam around in a group and act irritating. I don't think anyone is afraid of them, but goddamn if they don't need to have the shit kicked out of them. I ignore them most of the time, but recently they've decided to harass me specifically.

I'm not a small guy, and I'm 29. Today they decided to follow me around 40 yards saying all manner of shit, when I turned around and asked them if they had a problem, they of course "got hard". Told me not to get in their face and started talking even more shit.

So I shrugged, asked if any of them were going to bother taking a swing and when no one did, I started my walk back home. One of them decided to get a fluorescent bulb out of a trash can with the others chanting and egging him on to hit me with it.

So I guess my question is this:

They are underage, if they do decide to swing at me, or follow me for any substantial distance again, can I beat the shit out of them?

Who do I contact about their behaviour? It seems calling the cops because some kids are being annoying is pretty lame, but I somehow doubt their parents really care.

edit:

Each time they decide to do shit like this, it is harder for me to not go get a tire iron and beat them to within an inch of their lives.

dispatch.o on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they're verbally harassing and intimidating people, you call the cops.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Esh wrote: »

What would happen to them? What would you tell the cops?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dispatch.o wrote: »

I'm not necessarily good at this, but it would go something along the lines of

"This group of guys followed and threatened me, and my family, then attempted to hit me with ______ so I killed him, gonna need you guys to come down here and you know..... deal with his body"

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm really eager to see where this thread goes.

The cops probably wouldn't do much o anything and I'd be betting you wouldn't be the first guy to call the authorities on them if they act like you said they do. At best a cop would patrol the area more frequently and tell them to knock it off.

I know what I would do in the situation, but it'd be illegal and only get you into a situation where you would throw the first punch and get in trouble anyway.

As far as more legal advice, I'd suggest not walking home alone if you can't or take a cab so you're not a target if they do decide to jump you.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

"This group of guys followed and threatened me, and my family, then attempted to hit me with ______ so I killed him, gonna need you guys to come down here and you know..... deal with his body"

I wish to god they would hit me with something, that would be the most satisfying asskicking given in the history of asskickings. However, until I actually feel threatened or am injured there's no way in hell I'm going to jail for beating the crap out of a teenager.

They know they're underage and that no one can do anything about what they're doing shy of calling the cops. I just don't know what the cops would really do.

edit: I'm not taking a cab 40 yards. They wont jump me, I wish they would try though.

I thought about trying to locate their parents, or take their pictures and go down to the high school where I'm sure they attend to talk to someone about contacting their parents.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

harassment, verbal threats, threats of violence, delinquency, assault, battery

they're punks

you call the cops on them

also this seems like you're in england

you can't "beat the shit" out of them in almost ANY circumstance without some form of possible consequence, physical self-defense only allows you to respond with like force and force necessary to defend your own safety. If there's ANY point where you CAN get away or NOT to fight and you choose not to run/choose to instead to fight them, you're likely to be held liable under assault/battery charges

call

the

police

Raneados on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just be honest with the cops. Explain that they are regularly like this, have been threatening you (if that is true, I'm not quite sure from your description) and ask what they can do for you, and if they say nothing then ask what you can/should do in various situations (if they repeat the same actions, or if it gets worse, etc.)

If the cops refuse to do anything mention to the bar owner that these kids are harassing customers and that its making you not want to come to the bar as much. With any luck the bar owner has had other complaints about them, or will receive future complaints about them, and will tell them not to come around anymore.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That's your only option. It's not like you have a local chapter of Guardian Angels or something. You call the cops and tell them exactly what the kids are doing. I'm not sure exactly what you want to hear. You say that no one is really afraid of them and they haven't actually done anything persay. You're basically asking us if it's ok for you to beat the shit out of them if they swing on you. I'm guessing that, yes, it is. I seriously doubt they're going to do anything though. Just ignore them. They'll get bored and go somewhere else.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Just be honest with the cops. Explain that they are regularly like this, have been threatening you (if that is true, I'm not quite sure from your description) and ask what they can do for you, and if they say nothing then ask what you can/should do in various situations (if they repeat the same actions, or if it gets worse, etc.)

If the cops refuse to do anything mention to the bar owner that these kids are harassing customers and that its making you not want to come to the bar as much. With any luck the bar owner has had other complaints about them, or will receive future complaints about them, and will tell them not to come around anymore.

I don't think these kids are in the bar.

Esh on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Even though it works out this way in movies, I've never met a person who was converted to the side of good by being beaten to within an inch of his life. So if you do beat them, it'll probably do loads for your sense of justice up until you get caught up in whatever legal quagmire.

I'm just saying this cause if the cops don't work out for you, you've got to find other means of coping with this group of kids until they get bored and move on to the next pointless they'll be doing for the rest of their lives.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call the cops. There should be a non emergency number you can use to call and the situation. It'll resolve the situation a lot better than a fist fight with a gang of kids.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

No, they're not in the bar. I'm not in England.

They basically do this crap to everyone. They spent an entire afternoon harassing people while sitting in the kiddy playground of my apartment complex, and decided to say some amazingly ridiculous crap to me when I went to do laundry.

They spend their time being vandals and idiots, breaking lamp posts and stuff.

edit: Looking for the non emergency line now to ask them what should be done.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

No, they're not in the bar. I'm not in England.

They basically do this crap to everyone. They spent an entire afternoon harassing people while sitting in the kiddy playground of my apartment complex, and decided to say some amazingly ridiculous crap to me when I went to do laundry.

They spend their time being vandals and idiots, breaking lamp posts and stuff.

Call the cops. Do not get into a fight with them. That's your solution.

Esh on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure most lawyers would give their left nut to take the case of a guy who comes out of a bar and beats up minors. It might be cathartic as hell, but there's no way that would end well for you.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're 29, they're underage. You lay one hand on them and you're going to be in some sort of trouble, no matter the justification.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    You're 29, they're underage. You lay one hand on them and you're going to be in some sort of trouble, no matter the justification.

I do not intend to fight them. Im just wondering what the cops will actually do if anything to resolve the problem, or if it simply makes it worse. I somehow doubt I'd be the first person to call the cops about them.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »

I do not intend to fight them. Im just wondering what the cops will actually do if anything to resolve the problem, or if it simply makes it worse. I somehow doubt I'd be the first person to call the cops about them.

We have no idea what they're going to do. We're not there. Call them and find out.

Esh on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While I kinda want you to dispense your own sense of personal justice on a bunch of teenagers for talking shit to you, it really is one of the worst ideas of something you can do in this situation.

Just call the cops and ignore the kids

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you do not make things worse by calling the cops

they're not going to go

"oh shit the cops came and talked to use about being jackasses, let's be MORE like jackasses and possibly get arrested"

in which case you still win because they get arrested

they'll realize that their actions bring them police attention, and they will move on to their next activity

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you go to the gym, think about the kids as you approach the last few reps of your productive set

they'll probably go away when your bicep exceeds the circumfrence of each one of their heads

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    If you go to the gym, think about the kids as you approach the last few reps of your productive set

they'll probably go away when your bicep exceeds the circumfrence of each one of their heads

This is a sound plan.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You could also try talking to whoever manages your apartment complex and see if they will either A)Kick the punks off of the property or B)Set up a security camera to watch public areas.

I would also call the police and report the incident with the florescent tube. They have clearly crossed a line when they are threatening adults with violence and are probably going to continue to escalate their behavior until they really hurt somebody.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I laughed at this then laughed even more when i saw you are from Van. Call the cops intentionally in Vancouver rather than deal with it yourself? Ha ha ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha...in Van the cops make things 10 times worse and you'll end up in cuffs getting kicked in the chest by police boots.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you know that you can be annoying back at them, right? basically do things that make it not fun for them to be around you and they'll leave

for example, take a video camera and film them for an evening (if so inclined)... they're on public property so they have no expectation of privacy, and they won't want to do any vandalism or even bad name calling on camera for fear of getting in real trouble

any time they're just 'hanging' somewhere, call the cops to complain about youths loitering, etc.

illig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This is a sound plan.

sarcasm i hope

or they'll go more at you because you're a bigger target and they're very likely to completely beat the shit out of you when it's 5 or so vs 1, no matter how buff you are

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I laughed at this then laughed even more when i saw you are from Van. Call the cops intentionally in Vancouver rather than deal with it yourself? Ha ha ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha...in Van the cops make things 10 times worse and you'll end up in cuffs getting kicked in the chest by police boots.

please ignore this advice, police do not make it a habit to beat people who bring complaints to them

Raneados on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Are... are you sure?
    I have met some pretty stellar cops in this fair city of mine. They let me pet their doggies sometimes.

You're probably one of the ones on Commercial drive yelling fuck the po'leese at them while they're trying to take care of a drug overdose or a couple derelicts who got in a fight over a panhandling spot.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    +1 for "call the police"

In the vast majority of situations you obviously don't want them around, but 'group of kids loitering dickishly' is something that cops are pretty willing to take on.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is this the only bar in the neighborhood?

Can't you go to another bar?

That's what I'd do. Dealing with punks isn't worth my time, regardless of how satisfying it would be to kick their asses or call the cops on them.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call the Po-lice

Ioga on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call the cops. If they're hanging around outside the bar annoying customers as they come and go, tell the manager/owner of the bar. He can call the cops too. That way they might be told not to step foot on the property, and whenever they do, the cops can be called and they can be escorted away/taken home to mommy.

Lail on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

This is a sound plan.

sarcasm i hope

or they'll go more at you because you're a bigger target and they're very likely to completely beat the shit out of you when it's 5 or so vs 1, no matter how buff you are

since when was going to the gym code for starting fights

Paladin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This is a sound plan.

sarcasm i hope

you're making the argument that people will fuck with you less if you're muscly

which isn't true and moreover it wouldn't matter anyway because being muscly doesn't allow you to win fights of 5 to 1

Raneados on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    +1 for call the cops. Also, +1 for talking to someone at the bar about it. The last thing they want are some punks driving away business.

As for what to tell the cops, just tell them the truth - there is a group of teenagers that regularly harass people entering and leaving the bar.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Call the cops. Tell them there's some young punks hanging around harassing people and being generally destructive.

oldsak on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This is a sound plan.

sarcasm i hope

Since High School.
    Seriously, stop giving out advice that amounts to physical violence - "Get buffer and scare them . . . . <unspoken> with the threat of greater physical harm. </unspoken> "

YOU are allowed to be free from threat of physical violence and general public nusiance. You are NOT allowed to enforce this - the police ARE. Stop letting the only interaction you have with the cops be speeding tickets - use them to your benefit for once.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On the whole "beat the crap out of them" idea, if these kids are anything like the kids here in the UK then they're probably thick as pig-shit OTHER than when it comes to their legal rights. They're well aware if you touch them they'll be able to screw you to the wall for it.

However I don't like the suggestion above to go to another bar, I wouldn't want to be put off going where I want to go just by some loud mouthed brats. Over here I'd:

1) Call the cops and tell them about it
    2) Call the local council and mention the area and what's going on, it's the last thing they want.
    3) Mention it to the pub, they won't want customers being put off.

Other than that it's sadly a case of put up with it. They'll eventually get bored and move on somewhere else.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    It doesn't matter how big you are, if you're in the UK these brats are likely to just pull a knife and stab you in something vital. They don't exactly have a code of honour when it comes to fighting anymore. Don't get into a fight with them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have a camera that can do video for 5 minutes, just record it as they are outside of the pool hall or the apartment complex being jerks. If you can get them on camera getting in a normal passerby's space, and walking along and continuing to be hostile, that will be more than enough for the cops to do something about it (bonus points if you can catch them vandalizing something on tape).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're gonna have to go grandpa on them. Just call the cops on them constantly. You'll feel like an old dude yelling "get off my lawn, you damn kids" but it's your only recourse that won't get you in legal trouble.

The cops probably won't do anything the first time. However, if they're getting dispatched out to deal with these kids all the time, they'll probably put some more effort into it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.