As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weeaboo] Because foreign children's shows are way better than domestic

• darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    You should watch Moribito, Kelor. Lots of epic music in there.

While I agree, I had to laugh a little bit when it started playing the battle music when Chagum was doing EPIC GAMBLING.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    thank god for new thread, i dont have to feel so dirty...

legend of kozumi would be my op if was allowed to make one...

Novid on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Nodame Finale 11 + Cross Game 50: Okay, stop the presses. Everyone else can just give up. No studio can top these two shows ever again. Game over, man.

Nodame Finale
    Curse you, Chiaki! For a minute there I thought you were going to propose! That'd have made it perfect.
    Cross Game
    Fuck yeah, Kou! I d'awwwwwwwed at the end. I dare say he's the best anime male lead ever without any super powers, well, if you don't count throwing balls really, really fast as a super power.

There is still two more bonus episodes of Nodame Finale to come over the next two weeks, Mine+Kiara and then one on the Rising Star Ochestra. So maybe could happen somewhere in there.

I enjoyed Cross Game a lot, I'm going to watch H2 and Touch I think now it's over. I've read both of them but I'm sure I read somewhere that Touch had more people watching it when it was showing than any other anime ever made. The support cast in H2 was even stronger than in Cross Game. It's basically Kou+Nakanishi on one team and Azuma on the other. The Senda look alike (or vice versa I suppose) is handled particularly well too.

Kelor on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I thought Cross Game was 52 episodes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    darksteel wrote: »

While I agree, I had to laugh a little bit when it started playing the battle music when Chagum was doing EPIC GAMBLING.

Don't ever watch any shounen series. Ever. You will laugh yourself into physical distress. Yakitate Japan will give you cardiac arrest (and it's not even that good....). EPIC BREAD MAKING.

New thread title. Finally. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised.....fanservice heavy romantic comedies will have their way. They always do.

Synthesis on
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    I thought Cross Game was 52 episodes.

Nope, 50 episodes even.

Kelor on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey! Don't diss the R+V manga! It's pretty damn awesome/enjoyable. And one can not deny that the manga hero is a true bro as well as a ghoul badass.
    3435.jpg

Now the anime? Go ahead. It's a load of crap. They make the main pathetic, strip out most of the story/tension, and turn it into a monster of the week series.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited March 2010
    For some reason, that page's art style looks very, very familiar.

Well, obviously, we're not under any obligation to appreciate it. So it's all good. Live and let live.

Synthesis on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Who cares what's in the op, does anyone go back to the first page once the thread has made it past 24 replies?

Again, the new people

The normals

This insular mentality is how megathreads die, you know

The general forum attitude toward the anime thread is not going to change based on the OP, though personally I don't like these themed threads. Too much like the chat thread.

I'm not talking about the "general forum attitude"

I'm concerned that people who might be interested in this whole anime thing or who haven't wandered into this thread before will start at the OP, scroll down, look at the pictures, and immediately leave

Because not only do you all have the most awful taste, you are making it the very first thing that people see

The thread got shut down before, and it wasn't because of the OP or anyone's "awful taste." It was due to constant bitching, of which you were a major instigator. Your "awesome" thread OP that is so superior due to your being the final arbiter of good taste will be just as hated as any other.

Honestly, "you all have the most awful taste." You have got to be fucking trolling with that shit.

juice for jesus on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can't we all just get along?

I have to agree with juice though that the OP shouldn't be some competition to highlight a specific genre you like.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's only bad when you get an entire page of a few posters circle-jerking each other about their superior taste.

Good thing that hasn't happened yet!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quentin wrote: »
    So I'm guessing we're devolving, right? The thread OPs will go from R+V to Negima to Dance in the Vampire Bund?

But Negima is actually good. Well...the manga is good.

LockedOnTarget on
  • IaculusIaculus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I'm guessing we're devolving, right? The thread OPs will go from R+V to Negima to Dance in the Vampire Bund?

It features a motherfucking HELLO KITTY SATELLITE CANNON.

I cannot stress this enough.

Iaculus on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Iaculus wrote: »

When I make the Negima OP, the only thing it will feature
    is Jack Rakan.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who cares what's in the op, does anyone go back to the first page once the thread has made it past 24 replies?

Again, the new people

The normals

Your beloved "normals" love Twilight.

Rosario+Vampire is anime Twilight, except actually good.

So it's quite appropriate for normal people.

_J_ wrote: »
    So...Rosario+Vampire is Love Hina...only they're vampires?

If you liked Love Hina, yes. If not, no.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited March 2010
    Watched FMA:B 50 an hour ago.
    Guess what? It was awesome.

Oh, and am I alone in considering Olivia Armstrong the hottest character in the show?

Iaculus on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can't we all just get along?

I have to agree with juice though that the OP shouldn't be some competition to highlight a specific genre you like.

I wouldn't mind seeing it like it used to be, basically "Here's a chart of what's airing this season! Here's the stuff from the current season and anything else currently running that we usually talk about but also feel free to talk about anything else!"

But to get away from the hurfadurfing over the current OP (as legitimate as the complaints are!), in my ever growing ADD with regards to watching shows I have started on the 80's Space Adventure Cobra series and it is pretty neat! It's a bit pulpy and the animation has been fairly nice so far (which is a nice surprise considering its age and how it doesn't seem like it was something super popular, bless the booming Japanese economy of the 80's for that I suppose!).

The only subs available are quite rough but they're not impossible to understand, and the plot isn't exactly the deepest thing out there anyhow. For those not in the know this is basically about the adventures of a space pirate with a gun on his left arm and a cigar in his mouth almost 24/7 and it is as cool as it sounds.

Slicer on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

is Jack Rakan.

I approve.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I leave for just three days and just look what you bastards have done to the place.

Man I've got so much catching up to do... managed to finish DtB season one so I can finally start season two.

Falx on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched the reboot of Cobra and haha I don't even

At one point he lands on an abandoned planet to unlock some mysterious artifact, falls down a hole, loses his memory and suddenly the entire setting turns into a mob flick where he must make money with boxing. WITH HIS METALLIC ARM/GUN.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    is Jack Rakan.

This I could get behind.

Kelor on
    edited March 2010
    I watched the reboot of Cobra and haha I don't even

At one point he lands on an abandoned planet to unlock some mysterious artifact, falls down a hole, loses his memory and suddenly the entire setting turns into a mob flick where he must make money with boxing. WITH HIS METALLIC ARM/GUN.

Ahahaha what. That sounds amazing.

Granted I'm not very far in the original series so it could change but the only really silly thing so far is that Cobra has been searching for the daughters of some guy that hid a treasure and he left the map in pieces....tattooed on his daughter's backs, three in total.

I don't even know how three pieces like that could even fit together

Slicer on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darn it B:L

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Darn it B:L

I fully support Spectrum's Negima OP. :^:

edited March 2010
    Falx wrote: »

I leave for just three days and just look what you bastards have done to the place.

Man I've got so much catching up to do... managed to finish DtB season one so I can finally start season two.

The middle of Ryuusei no Gemini's a little weak, but give it time - it improves. Pretty much all of my complaints with it had been addressed by the time the season was over.
    Still waiting to find out what the hell the fallout from that ending was, though - in particular, whether Yin's still alive or not.

Iaculus on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, we're going from R+V to Negima. So...this is the summer of the fanservice heavy harem comedy?

Because if so, I need to order new banners.

Synthesis on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Again, the new people

The normals

This insular mentality is how megathreads die, you know

The general forum attitude toward the anime thread is not going to change based on the OP, though personally I don't like these themed threads. Too much like the chat thread.

I'm not talking about the "general forum attitude"

I'm concerned that people who might be interested in this whole anime thing or who haven't wandered into this thread before will start at the OP, scroll down, look at the pictures, and immediately leave

Because not only do you all have the most awful taste, you are making it the very first thing that people see

The thread got shut down before, and it wasn't because of the OP or anyone's "awful taste." It was due to constant bitching, of which you were a major instigator. Your "awesome" thread OP that is so superior due to your being the final arbiter of good taste will be just as hated as any other.

Honestly, "you all have the most awful taste." You have got to be fucking trolling with that shit.

What? Since when? This is the most involved discussion I've gotten into in the anime thread and that's only over this terrible OP nonsense in the last two threads

And sure, I do think a lot of you have pretty awful taste, because I don't see the entertainment value in around 90% of all anime. But that's me! And quite frankly I didn't expect anyone to get mad about it, considering we are all weeaboos and we're all aware I am a pot calling all you kettles black

But my point remains that we are making the first thing that new people see some pictures of high school vampire lesbians or magical little girls in crazy dresses with big hammers, two things that will not attract or inform any new people about this Japanimation thing that we all like, beyond whatever stereotypes they have already constructed in their heads about it

And the only reason we are doing that is because we are apparently convinced that no one cares about the OP and no one outside of this little clique will ever enter this thread or even give it so much as a passing glance

That is the kind of behavior I am objecting against
    That and your awful, awful taste in Japanese cartoons

morth.png

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited March 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Okay, we're going from R+V to Negima. So...this is the summer of the awesome action manga disguised as a super-ridiculous fanservice heavy harem comedy?

Fixed for Negima.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited March 2010
    Okay, we're going from R+V to Negima. So...this is the summer of the awesome action manga disguised as a super-ridiculous fanservice heavy harem comedy?

Fixed for Negima.

I admire your unfailing optimism.

Synthesis on
    edited March 2010
    Optimism? It's the truth. Negima is really good once you get past the fanservice and the first couple of volumes. Really well-drawn and thought-out action scenes, good characters, good comedy, it's a good series.

The actual harem portion of the book is basically a parody and intentionally ridiculous, and is even fairly well-done outside of the first couple of volumes, which is easily the worst of the series.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited March 2010
    Optimism? It's the truth. Rosario+Vampire is really good once you get past the fanservice and the first couple of volumes. Really well-drawn and thought-out action scenes, good characters, good comedy, it's a good series.

The actual harem portion of the book is basically a parody and intentionally ridiculous, and is even fairly well-done outside of the first couple of volumes, which is easily the worst of the series.

Yes, this man tells the truth.

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What? Since when? This is the most involved discussion I've gotten into in the anime thread and that's only over this terrible OP nonsense in the last two threads

I was talking about the shrimp wars. But now I'm contributing to the very thing I hate. How ironic.

juice for jesus on
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Optimism? It's the truth. Rosario+Vampire is really good once you get past the fanservice and the first couple of volumes. Really well-drawn and thought-out action scenes, good characters, good comedy, it's a good series.

Yes, this man tells the truth.

Actually, this has all be discussed in the past (I've even said more or less the same thing). I give Negima more grief than it deserves, but that's out of a dislike of harem comedies and unending shounen fighting manga. Knee-jerk reaction, I'll admit.

Plus, the anime is just bad. Not just bad, awful really. So bad attention tends to go back to it even in light of the manga progressing towards something that isn't terribly awful.

Synthesis on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I was talking about the shrimp wars. But now I'm contributing to the very thing I hate. How ironic.

phpeoroyqpm.jpg

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited March 2010
    The anime is pretty bad, yes. It doesn't help that it covers the early manga only, which is the worst part of it.

I mean, parts of the early stuff is good(yay Evengeline!) but a lot of it is just really stupid. Like the fights are pretty damn good now but in the early Evangeline arc the first time two of the girls fight they basically just flick each other's foreheads. It's lame, and this is one of the few actiony parts that the anime actually adapts.

The Kyoto arc was solid in the manga, but I never bothered to watch the anime that far to see how it was adapted.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited March 2010
    As I've mentioned in the past, the consensus I've understood is that it really does get better, and completely changes its nature (which isn't really a good sign overall--I mean, going from "suck" to "good" is fine, but couldn't the "suck" have been avoided entirely?).

It's just definitely not for me in either form. Which is, of course, all right. We're not all going to like everything uniformly. Just look at Code Geass.

Though this is the first time I've heard the suck of the initial few chapters justified as self-parody, rather than "the guy just wrote another shitty harem manga, and realized the market was incredibly over-saturated, so did an about face". Was it originally planned from the start in the manga?

Synthesis on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    As I've mentioned in the past, the consensus I've understood is that it really does get better, and completely changes its nature (which isn't really a good sign overall--I mean, going from "suck" to "good" is fine, but couldn't the "suck" have been avoided entirely?).

It's just definitely not for me in either form. Which is, of course, all right. We're not all going to like everything uniformly. Just look at Code Geass.

Though this is the first time I've heard the suck of the initial few chapters justified as self-parody, rather than "the guy just wrote another shitty harem manga, and realized the market was incredibly over-saturated, so did an about face". Was it originally planned from the start in the manga?

are you talking about negima or r+v

the author of negima wanted to do a BURNING SPIRIT battle manga but his editors pushed him into harem, so he drove the harem up to eleven for the first few arcs until it got popular, then went "gotcha fuckers" and did what he wanted to do with it

r+v has no such excuse

i don't care for either of them

Rust on
    edited March 2010

From what I've heard, Akamatsu's publishers wanted a Love Hina clone, and he wanted to do an action series. So he toed the line for a while, and brought in what he wanted to as it took off and he got more creative license.

Iaculus on
    edited March 2010

From what I've heard, Akamatsu's publishers wanted a Love Hina clone, and he wanted to do an action series. So he toed the line for a while, and brought in what he wanted to as it took off and he got more creative license.

Ah, well, that's an important consideration. Some of my friends have probably told me this in the past, but I admit, the second they mentioned "Negima" I probably tuned them out and thought about Michiko to Hatchin or Moribito or something.

I've gotten to the point where I can't stand the BURNING PASSION and/or SPIRIT formula but that's probably due to overexposure in part (that, and I was VP of my University's anime club when we showed Gurren Lagaan which probably sucked out a lot of my lifeforce).

Synthesis on
    edited March 2010

Honestly I hear the "This awful thing is supposed to be awful! It's clearly a parody!" defense with anime/manga in general oh so very much that unless I hear concrete evidence like an interview from the creator I just don't buy it 99% of the time.

Slicer on
This discussion has been closed.