As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jump the Shark for Child's Play! Flickr Photos Now Live!!

JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
So this year, unfortunately, I will not be attending PAX-E. I'm moving to Seattle in July, so any money that would have gone to that, has gone into the moving fund. But I had an idea a couple of months ago that I wanted to implement this year, that I would like to have at both PAXes.

For those of you that know me, it's a safe bet that when I say "I have an idea" and "at PAX" in the same sentence, it's something silly. For those of you that don't, youtube "bad horse PAX" and you'll get this picture.

So anyway, I have this inflatable shark...
IMG_0062.jpg

...and the circumstances as to how I procured said shark will remain a mystery, but it was such a weird item that I actually vocalized "What the hell am I going to do with this?" To which some random person's response was, "Jump It!"

This got the wheels turning. This idea grew into this.

Jump The Shark For Child's Play!

So here's how this works. So far, kaoticrequiem, itzerokewl, and EruditeAphrodite are going to be handling the shark in some way shape and form. It will be traveling to various different places around PAX, including some of the Pre-PAX events (maybe).

Here's the donation table/rules
  • $1 per jump per person
  • $5 minimum donation (will get you five jumps)
  • Donate as much as you want
  • Donations are not refundable (you donate $10 dollars, but only need $3 to get the picture you want, you will not get back the extra $7)
  • As many people can jump at the same time, so long as the group donation is straight

Not trying to be corporate about it, just trying to be as specific as possible so that there is no confusion.

The best pictures will be posted to our Flickr Group for all to see. And the best of the best throughout the year will be turned into a collage to be placed up for auction (hopefully) at the Child's Play dinner. (We might also place the shark in the lot as well, as we are planning on getting some of the celebs to sign it.) If not, it will be presented as a gift to Gabe and Tycho.

We will be updating our twitter account, @SharkJump4CP, with the locations the shark will be at throughout the event...so make sure to go follow it. (It used to be @TheBigBadBoo, so if you followed last year's Prime Prank, you're following the jump the shark feed)
Lets have some fun folks

JonnyNero on

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My shark senses were tingling.

I can't volunteer for this, but I will be first in line to jump the shark.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Great idea. I would love to be captured jumping the shark. If only I could lug it around with all my camera equipment.
    Of course, it is completely obligatory that I have someone's hand to hold while jumping over the shark in tandem.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah, dunno if I can help, I'm sure I'll be busy, but for that? HELL yes I'll donate. :)

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We should give the shark to someone who has more access than the usual PAX attendee.
    Like an enforcer or someone with an All Access Badge. Are you getting the All Access this time Moe?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    We should give the shark to someone who has more access than the usual PAX attendee.
    Like an enforcer or someone with an All Access Badge. Are you getting the All Access this time Moe?

I'm not exactly sure I see the need for this, as I think attendees would be the highest source of donations. I would like to get some PAX celebs, but since they usually mingle as well, that shouldn't be too hard.

However, if getting a super special pass to guard the shark means Khoo would have a higher chance of jumping it...that would be AWESOME!!

Kaoticrequiem and eruditeaphrodite have violunteered to team up to help, but more people willing to take the shark should they want a break (or to get to more restricted areas) might be a good thing.

We're deciding on if we might have a Twitter post or something so that people who haven't found the shark can come and participate in one area of the convention at a given time. Would that be something you guys might like?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitely want to jump the shark for charity, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a hard sell to passers-by. We would need to work out a time and place for the shark to remain static for a period. Seeing as how we don't yet have a schedule or the layout of the part of the convention center that will be open for the convention, this would need to be discussed later.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm alll down with this. I've already got a lot of people I'm questing with, but I'd totally jump a shark for Child's Play. You should totally bring an optional Fonzie wig for people to wear.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    I'm alll down with this. I've already got a lot of people I'm questing with, but I'd totally jump a shark for Child's Play. You should totally bring an optional Fonzie wig for people to wear.

I have this vision in my head that someone will bring a bicycle (or even funnier, a segway) to the shark wearing a leather coat and a wig.

I'm not sure what I do in that situation. Laugh, faint, or beat them over the head with the shark :p

BTW, if I were to set up just a little blog to post the pictures we take through out the weekend/year, would that be something people would be interested in looking at?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A blog would be a good idea, Jonny. Especially if you plan on taking it to Prime and such.

I'd volunteer to be the person to walk up and get people to jump over it but I'm not really to keen on interrupting people and such.

However, I think rather then just someone walking around with it that if you got a person going to a party of function to volunteer to be that person then you'd make more money for charity.

For example the PAX Dinner or the Pokecrawl or the whatnot.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    BTW, if I were to set up just a little blog to post the pictures we take through out the weekend/year, would that be something people would be interested in looking at?

I can tell you right now that the PAX East 2010 Community DVD would want those pictures and any video we could get of this.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    A blog would be a good idea, Jonny. Especially if you plan on taking it to Prime and such.

I'd volunteer to be the person to walk up and get people to jump over it but I'm not really to keen on interrupting people and such.

However, I think rather then just someone walking around with it that if you got a person going to a party of function to volunteer to be that person then you'd make more money for charity.

I think RDR is trying to kill himself hes the busiest dude and PAX hasn't even started.

A central spot is good, though needs to be a spot that will not cause issues.

Singollo on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Singollo wrote: »

I think RDR is trying to kill himself hes the busiest dude and PAX hasn't even started.

haha, ya I am crazy. But I'm not volunteering to handle the shark. I can try and help organize events for the shark to attend. I wouldn't mind maintaining the shark during the Pre-PAX Dinner and the Pokecrawl, for example. But actually walking around PAX asking people to jump the shark isn't for me. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No shark at the dinner. Last thing I need is an uncoordinated nerd jumping the shark, failing to land on both feet and wiping out a table and a waitress. Outside the restaurant before/after would be fine though.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Singollo wrote: »

We got that covered should the need for a centralized location arises ;)

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JonnyNero wrote: »

I have this vision in my head that someone will bring a bicycle (or even funnier, a segway) to the shark wearing a leather coat and a wig.

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1953/

I'm not nearly responsible enough to take the shark for the entire trip, but I'd be willing to volunteer a couple hours a day to either babysit at a set location or walk around panhandling.

A blog or at least some place to dump the massive amount of photos would probably be welcome and get more people interested. Maybe even pick the 12 best and make a Calendar with profits to go to Child's Play as well.

Loser4Now on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bump for OP edit

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sweet, looks like the shark will be visiting my room! Hand Delivered shark, I can dig it.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh oh oh! Confusion! Confusion! You won't have change available?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also think BYOC should be off limits for the shark
    what with all the sexy computers.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh oh oh! Confusion! Confusion! You won't have change available?

No...we won't. you have to bring exact change...in pennies...rolled up with one penny missing from each roll, but the total must still equal a whole dollar.

Barring a ton of people paying with $20's in the first few goes, we'll have change.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bump for great justice! (and to bring attention the addition of a Twitter account in the OP)

Also, the Flickr group has been open for public join if you would like to.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    SteveBSteveB Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm one of the average attendees who'd be willing to carry the shark around for a while. I'm still working out my own schedule for PAX, but we'll see as we get closer to the event.

I AM going to the Mega64 Panel, and would be willing to bring it and ask them to jump/sign it, depending on what is wanted.

Also, I'm bringing a fairly high end (consumer) camcorder, so I can record some footage of the jumps.

SteveB on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SteveB wrote: »
    I'm one of the average attendees who'd be willing to carry the shark around for a while. I'm still working out my own schedule for PAX, but we'll see as we get closer to the event.

I AM going to the Mega64 Panel, and would be willing to bring it and ask them to jump/sign it, depending on what is wanted.

Also, I'm bringing a fairly high end (consumer) camcorder, so I can record some footage of the jumps.

PM kaoticrequiem to see if you guys can meet up. He's kind of been the guy who is leading the East charge.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SteveB wrote: »

Again, we would love to have that footage. Upload it to Youtube and we'll be able to d/l and include it on the PAX East Community DVD.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Last Bump I promise!

The shark is in place, the handlers are ready, all we need is you guys to start jumping!

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Donating to an awesome charity for the opportunity to be photographed being silly?

Fuck yes.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thank you for doing this. Now when I look ridiculous, people will think I'm being charitable. :mrgreen:

I'll be looking for the shark.

Trion on
  • Options
    kaoticrequiemkaoticrequiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The shark is in town! But he's feeling a little underinflated tonight. Rest assured that he will be fit to jump tomorrow.

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright folks, the shark is live! Please use twitter to follow him (@SharkJump4CP) and keep abreast of his movement. Expect him first at the keynote and the first PA panel.

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    G4tv has officially donated to the cause and jumped the shark!!

Details are sketchy (since kaoticrequiem doesn't watch g4) but I think it was sessler and the shark got TV time!

I just realized...we need a name for the shark

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PArXie?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ladies and Gentlemen!

It was a pleasure to see you all today. I expect more of you tomorrow! Please follow SharkJump4CP to find out where I'm going. I could use some help getting the shark out there at around 5 or so, since I'm going to be selling stuff for Paul and Storm, so if you're interested in getting the shark out there, lemme know!

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    First batch of photos uploaded to the Flickr Group.

Highlights of this batch, a wild Willeth and LewieP, and a headless Enforcer appeared :p

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I jumped the shark yesterday but didn't make it to the Flickr site. Still worth it to act like a goof for charity!

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Some of the pics hae not actually been posted, so you may well make it yet!

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for doing this. Silly as this may seem, it was one of the most memorable things I did this weekend.

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ahkhira wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this. Silly as this may seem, it was one of the most memorable things I did this weekend.

We're glad you liked it!

As a total jumping donation, we raised $115 for Child's Play. A modest donation perhaps, especially compared to the Cookie Brigade's, but I'm proud of everyone who jumped and gave (or gave and didn't jump!) and would like to thank you all. It was a lot of fun, and should be even better once refined come Prime.

Thanks again!

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    woohoo for sharkjumping :)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, and a special thanks to ArsonIsFun, for rolling an 18 Charisma, and taking Salesmanship as a trained skill. Good Lord.

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahkhira wrote: »

We're glad you liked it!

As a total jumping donation, we raised $115 for Child's Play. A modest donation perhaps, especially compared to the Cookie Brigade's, but I'm proud of everyone who jumped and gave (or gave and didn't jump!) and would like to thank you all. It was a lot of fun, and should be even better once refined come Prime.

Thanks again!

I saw you a couple times in the lobby of the Sheraton, but it's hard for me to jump the shark in my chair (without a ramp) and I was on my way to the convention hall to get on Cookie Brigade duty! (In retrospect, I should have been working the Sheraton lobby, as well! Ah well, just one more thing I'll do better next year.)

Facelesscog on
This discussion has been closed.