As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weeaboo] Because foreign children's shows are way better than domestic

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    The nice thing about Negima is that, unlike most Harem, the male protagonist is actually useful...and unlike most shonen, the female protagonists are actually useful.
    He still looks like a huge niceguy dork.

It's also a really, really high concentration of harem. Makes those four to six-girl harems seem rational by comparison.

To be fair, only maybe about 1/3 of the class, if that, actually has any romantic feelings at all for Negi. And only a few of those are actually something serious.

Most of the girls either see him as simply a cute little kid, or as a friend/little brother.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I should probably watch GITS some day.

If if you don't like it, it's still worth watching if you have some interest in AI and the mind. Or it will just annoy you with how it deals with them.

But it is worth a watch.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the Three global superpowers being similar between Code Geass and Gundam 00.

Well, Gundam 00 is a lot like Gundam Seed's various earth based powers, which in turn sound a awful lot like the three spheres of influence from George Orwell's work 1984.

Geass's three nations are pretty obviously taken from 1984's.

Hand Australia to Brittania, the UK to Europe, and divvy up the Disputed States and it's basically the same map.

Wait, why does the Holy Empire of Brittannia not include Great Britain? That seems like a pretty big oversight.
    I haven't watched Code Geass

Edit:
    Not really relevant, but we were posting maps. GitS:SAC's world has about twice as many sovereign countries as ours presently does. Indonesia, the United States, and parts of China all feature new divisions, while countries like Russia and Japan feature numerous autonomous districts/regions/zones.

Really? Because our world has slightly less than 200.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    guys

mio is mai waifu

long, dark hair, plays bass. perfect woman amirite

this thread is now about why the bass guitar > every other instrument

Mio_Akiyama_by_Bellaid.jpg

:^:
    Zython wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the Three global superpowers being similar between Code Geass and Gundam 00.

Well, Gundam 00 is a lot like Gundam Seed's various earth based powers, which in turn sound a awful lot like the three spheres of influence from George Orwell's work 1984.

Hand Australia to Brittania, the UK to Europe, and divvy up the Disputed States and it's basically the same map.

Wait, why does the Holy Empire of Brittannia not include Great Britain? That seems like a pretty big oversight.
    The EU kicked them out. In Geass, history diverges roughly around the time of the Revolutionary War (technically a little earlier but not THAT much important happens beforehand). One of the Emperor's ancestors persuaded Ben Franklin with copious amounts of bribes to betray the Revolution, so America never successfully broke off. As such, after they lost the UK, they retreated to America.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Durururuua 7
    The Shizuo episode. I thought this might come later, but now I'm glad it's early.

Shizuo is a character with a lot of potential. His background is at least a little interesting, and I can understand him. It's just that in practice he's really, really annoying.

But I'm glad the episode was relatively early in the series because it means he has a chance to grow and become someone who isn't really, really annoying. And since he's the one most likely to put the beats on Izaya, who is a complete waste of space (though he's been a lot better now that he doesn't talk much), I'd be much happier if I could root for him.

This episode also had more Shinra and solidifies my initial impression of him: that he's the happy-go-lucky amoral doctor done right, because he actually has some charisma.

All in all, the show has been steadily improving after the first 4 or 5 episodes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited March 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    guys

this thread is now about why the bass guitar > every other instrument

My avatar and sig approve of this.

Page- on
    stream
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

The EU kicked them out. In Geass, history diverges roughly around the time of the Revolutionary War (technically a little earlier but not THAT much important happens beforehand). One of the Emperor's ancestors persuaded Ben Franklin with copious amounts of bribes to betray the Revolution, so America never successfully broke off. As such, after they lost the UK, they retreated to America.

1. So the British were kicked out of Britain? Harsh.

2. Not Ben Franklin! :o

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    The nice thing about Negima is that, unlike most Harem, the male protagonist is actually useful...and unlike most shonen, the female protagonists are actually useful.
    He still looks like a huge niceguy dork.

You've seen him aged up a bit, right?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tiphareth wrote: »
    I watched "Wings of Honneamise", think it was a recommendation from here. I was immensely impressed, this and Planetes are probably the best sci-fi shows I've ever watched.

:^: Yeah good stuff
    Page- wrote: »
    Horus wrote: »
    finally have closure with InuYasha....... now I feel emptiness.. anyone have any feel-good anime series recommendations?

Cross Game!

Seconding this.

Is Karas any good? $17 for the whole series good, I mean? There were some scenes of it in that youtube linked last thread that looked decent.

juice for jesus on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    As I've mentioned in the past, the consensus I've understood is that it really does get better, and completely changes its nature (which isn't really a good sign overall--I mean, going from "suck" to "good" is fine, but couldn't the "suck" have been avoided entirely?).

It's just definitely not for me in either form. Which is, of course, all right. We're not all going to like everything uniformly. Just look at Code Geass.

Though this is the first time I've heard the suck of the initial few chapters justified as self-parody, rather than "the guy just wrote another shitty harem manga, and realized the market was incredibly over-saturated, so did an about face". Was it originally planned from the start in the manga?

are you talking about negima or r+v

the author of negima wanted to do a BURNING SPIRIT battle manga but his editors pushed him into harem, so he drove the harem up to eleven for the first few arcs until it got popular, then went "gotcha fuckers" and did what he wanted to do with it

r+v has no such excuse

Rust is right for once. The author of R+V had open creative license (as much as JUMP would allow, anyways) just like One Piece.

He chose to start the manga as a subversion of harem, and then it took off in wild and amazing directions, just without the BURNING PASSION.

So it's similar to Negima in how it becomes something much more. R+V needs no excuses.

When the Male protagonist can actually do something in a harem it's automatically worth my time.

So essentially Tenchi, Negi, and Tsukune.

Oh and the guy from GXP. He does have a giant Tree Robot.

That's a really low bar to set, I'd argue, but hey, if it makes you happy, it's a success in its own right.

Perhaps I could rephrase. If the lead in some way develops as a character in a positive manner I'm more than willing to believe these women can fall for him as opposed to the generic harem lead who is literal comprised of tripping and opening doors at the wrong time.

Though Tenchi is God so I guess he's sort of hard to top.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched "Wings of Honneamise", think it was a recommendation from here. I was immensely impressed, this and Planetes are probably the best sci-fi shows I've ever watched.

finally have closure with InuYasha....... now I feel emptiness.. anyone have any feel-good anime series recommendations?

Cross Game!

Seconding this.

Is Karas any good? $17 for the whole series good, I mean? There were some scenes of it in that youtube linked last thread that looked decent.

The short answer is no. A little eye candy is the best it has to offer.

Aroduc on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    I used to be a big anime fan when I was in my early to mid teens, but fell out of it. I still watch stuff that trancends bad anima tropes. Saw the Samurai Champloo series on bluray for $25 and picked it up based on some good things I've heard.

I'm really impressed.

You should be, it's great

The next stop on the Trascending Bad Anime Tropes train is Baccano

Watch it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whatever happened to my youtube command?

Fencingsax on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Code_Geass_Map2.jpg

Ha! We are doing our own thing in Code Geass. BBQs, beer and the beach.

Or the purple stands for vicious poisonous wildlife that has destroyed the population.

One of the two.

Kelor on
    edited March 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

Cross Game!

Seconding this.

The short answer is no. A little eye candy is the best it has to offer.

Well... shit. :? I guess that frees up some money for something else then.

juice for jesus on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahahahahahahahahahaha...

Kekkaishi...

Hahahahahaha...

Whose boneheaded move was that?

Aroduc on
    edited March 2010
    Dulallal 8

This episode is a textbook example of my complaints about the ensemble cast and multiple stories.
    The A story: Selty trying to get some character development and the (not very surprising) reveal that her head has been grafted onto the body of the missing stalker, possibly with Shinra's help and definitely with his knowledge. Entertaining enough.

The B story: Some kids look for a missing pair of shoes. Whatever.

The C story: A couple of bit characters spend all of 3 scenes looking for each other. Only there to compliment the episode's theme. zzz

The Celtic theme reminds me so much of The Pogues Fairytale of New York that it's almost distracting.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2010
    Referring to the fact that it (Kekkaishi) is on Adult Swim?

juice for jesus on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahahahahahahahahahaha...

Kekkaishi...

Hahahahahaha...

Kekkaishi isn't awful. It takes a hell of a long time to get interesting though.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahahahahahahahahahaha...

Kekkaishi...

Hahahahahaha...

Kekkaishi isn't awful. It takes a hell of a long time to get interesting though.

And then about 8 episodes later, it drops off a cliff into being REALLY godawful.

I mean, I like the show overall, but putting it on Adult Swim is damned moronic and a completely doomed venture.

Aroduc on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

1. So the British were kicked out of Britain? Harsh.

2. Not Ben Franklin! :o

See, if my memory serves me, the Portuguese monarchy in Brazil (for a period of time). Same thing.

The sense behind isn't particularly fanciful--heart of the Empire aside, the British Isles have been historically threatened by forces in continental Europe, and vice versa. Defending a fortress city in...well, Baltimore apparently, is a lot easier than one in Southern England if your enemy is France and Germany either way. It makes sense compared to, well, the rest of the show.
    Not really relevant, but we were posting maps. GitS:SAC's world has about twice as many sovereign countries as ours presently does. Indonesia, the United States, and parts of China all feature new divisions, while countries like Russia and Japan feature numerous autonomous districts/regions/zones.

Really? Because our world has slightly less than 200.

Actually, there are two things to consider in this that I should have mentioned--besides new countries, like the Seouk Republic, the GitS world frequently follows the Soviet/Russian definition of national delimitation and sovereignty, so autonomous regions like Sakhalin are widely considered their own countries (wherein we wouldn't consider them their own countries). Especially when they have their own armies, which they always seem to.

A very small number of countries are actually lost in the Third and Forth World War, so the end result is that the world has a LOT of small countries, most of which belong to multinational alliances. There are still two Koreas, Ossetia and Abkhazia are still not part of Georgia, etc. It's described as "almost twice as many than in the 20th century". It's one of the reasons the political and military power of the UN has increased, despite the fact that most of the permanent SC countries are weaker.

Synthesis on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari. Seems like an interesting enough premise but what really got me was the visual style. Shit looks gorgeous.

Senshi on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just finished watching Kannazuki no Miko.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting much going in but by the end I was really enjoying it. Starts off pretty slow and seems to be pretty standard, if a bit boring. But then the whole thing just becomes amazing. Basic idea is that the ends of days is approaching (In the form of 8 "Orochis") and only two girls have the power to stop it.

Spoilered synopsis and thoughts (Also big ass story spoilers, you have been warned.)
    Episodes 1-5: Story about how much Chikane loves, adores, and will do anything to make Himeko happy. Oh yeah there is some giant robots trashing shit.
    Episode 6-7: Oh wait...they were serious about that Orochi stuff....things are picking up. Chikane even tries to make Himeko happy by helping her get ready for a date with Souma, one of the Orochi who is fighting to protect Himeko despite also being urged to kill her.
    Episode 8: :shock: WTF....no wait....SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK. You can't do that, it has to be an illusion or something. Chikane loses her mind and confesses her love to Himeko while forcing herself on her.
    Episode 9: Aftermath. Ok we need a breather...episode 8 was too much, there is no way that happened, no way could she have really done that. Chikane has joined the Orochi and singlehandedly takes them all out to be the only one left. (aside from Souma)
    Episode 10: Ah ok...Chikame came back, good see? It was all a bad dream. Wait....oh nevermind she is just toying with Himeko's emotions again and threatens to kill her.
    Episode 11: Things are heated up! Everything is coming together, a battle for fate of the earth!
    Episode 12:
    6e23358ec05985db3a83bab07338907e1230933907_full.jpg

Truly amazing series. That Chikane would go through those lengths, and destroy any and all hope for her own happiness in order to protect Himeko, was truly beautiful. Yes...she made some fucked up decisions along the way (deciding to rape the person she loved in order to get her to hate her was a horrible horrible plan.) , but she knew the only way to end it all was to have Himeko kill her. And the realization at the end...so unbelievably touching.

Also it was very touching that Chikane swapped out the priestess uniforms, I figured it was an attempt to subvert fate. She had envisioned the death of Himeko by Chikane's own hand and I figured she meant to reverse that when she swapped the uniforms, additionally the alude to the "scent" of the girls throughout the show and I would imagine that taking Himeko's uniform was also a way to keep some small part of Himeko with Chikane.

In short, slow start, but damned good story overall and I'm very glad I watched it. Real tearjerker at times so be prepared for that if you want to tackle this series. It's only 12 eps but honestly I couldn't imagine it being more (too emotionally draining to last more than 12 eps). If you plan on checking it out, stick with it all the way and you won't be sorry.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    fluter.jpg

Aroduc on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why do we get bad anime when shit like Gamble Fish flounders.

Ha. Ha.

Greeper on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    fluter.jpg

You know I probably should have admitted this earlier... but I only get maybe 4 out of every 10 random picture references you post.

This isn't one of those four.

Alternately:
    This one time, at band camp...

Falx on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    See? You do already know the answer.

Aroduc on
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Delph, I totally agree. Kannazuki no Miko was awesomely good, and normally I would have dropped it after the first few episodes, but had nothing else to watch at the moment (thankfully). Definitely a show worth sticking with.

Tiphareth on
    edited March 2010
    Cross Game's all over: bawwwww
    They definitely handled it differently than I expected. No confirmation of the 160 km/h fastball, game didn't end with a strikeout of Mishima, didn't spell out for us Kou's lie, no sudden 180 for Aoba's personality (her reaction to Kou's hug was actually kind of shocking). I like that they didn't take the easy way out, kept me guessing to the end.

The guys abandoning Akaishi at the hospital was cute.

juice for jesus on
    edited March 2010
    They definitely handled it differently than I expected. No confirmation of the 160 km/h fastball, game didn't end with a strikeout of Mishima, didn't spell out for us Kou's lie, no sudden 180 for Aoba's personality (her reaction to Kou's hug was actually kind of shocking). I like that they didn't take the easy way out, kept me guessing to the end.

Yeah, I like that Adachi covers the other characters as well. Like the overweight 3rd baseman would normally be the lonely single guy there for the jokes, which he does but he also has a girlfriend on the track team.

Though the episode is pretty much identical to the finish of the manga in regards to what you listed.

Kelor on
    edited March 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

Yeah, I like that Adachi covers the other characters as well. Like the overweight 3rd baseman would normally be the lonely single guy there for the jokes, which he does but he also has a girlfriend on the track team.

Though the episode is pretty much identical to the finish of the manga in regards to what you listed.
    Nakanishi getting a girlfriend was one of those moments where you knew Cross Game wasn't just your average slice of life. That, and killing off a main character right off the bat.

juice for jesus on
    edited March 2010
    H2 has a similar moment, it doesn't happen until the end but is one of my favourite parts of the entire series.

Kelor on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Despite recommendations, I tried to put off Hajime No Ippo because I knew I would get hooked as soon as I started watching. With over 70 episodes and who knows how many OVAs, it would be a serious time sink.

Well it's too late for me now. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited March 2010
    Despite recommendations, I tried to put off Hajime No Ippo because I knew I would get hooked as soon as I started watching. With over 70 episodes and who knows how many OVAs, it would be a serious time sink.

76 episodes, 3 OVAs and a 24 episode second season to be precise.

All fantastic.

It is a damn shame the manga is in a bit of a rut at the moment.

Kelor on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New Mirai Nikki!
    Yuno has/had two future diaries! This pretty much confirms she's from the future.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

76 episodes, 3 OVAs and a 24 episode second season to be precise.

All fantastic.

It is a damn shame the manga is in a bit of a rut at the moment.

The manga isn't in a rut? The sequence of events are a little annoying, but the current fight is pretty awesome.

khain on
    edited March 2010
    khain wrote: »
    The manga isn't in a rut? The sequence of events are a little annoying, but the current fight is pretty awesome.
    I've sort of felt like Ippo's fights specifically have been disappointing since the match the first few title defenses. Of all the matches he's had since then, the Sawamura fight was probably the best. Shimabukuro and Geddo were probably the worst of them though.

The support cast and their fights are still the best part of Ippo. Since you have Takamura, Miyata, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki to step in for fights it works really well in terms of changing things up without feeling like the story is dragging out.

Ippo's been defending the title for a long time now, almost half the matches he's ever been in. It's just beginning to feel a bit stale. Hopefully Woli is the last pacific champion he has to fight before moving up to the WBC or WBA. Vorg and Sendou are already competing at that level without having a title to begin with.

I'm expecting Sendou to face off against Martinez before Ippo gets there though, similar to earlier in the series but he's going to lose this time.

Kelor on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    khain wrote: »
    I've sort of felt like Ippo's fights specifically have been disappointing since the match the first few title defenses. Of all the matches he's had since then, the Sawamura fight was probably the best. Shimabukuro and Geddo were probably the worst of them though.

The support cast and their fights are still the best part of Ippo. Since you have Takamura, Miyata, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki to step in for fights it works really well in terms of changing things up without feeling like the story is dragging out.

Ippo's been defending the title for a long time now, almost half the matches he's ever been in. It's just beginning to feel a bit stale. Hopefully Woli is the last pacific champion he has to fight before moving up to the WBC or WBA. Vorg and Sendou are already competing at that level without having a title to begin with.

I'm expecting Sendou to face off against Martinez before Ippo gets there though, similar to earlier in the series but he's going to lose this time.

I think it just seems like it's in a rut because the fights seem to take so long. I mean, the Miyata vs Randy Boy fight was looooooong.

Also, it doesn't help when you just read through it and then are forced to go week to week. It makes it seem even worse.

blaze_zero on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh... I dunno why but I could've sworn BakaTest only had 13 episodes.

Oh well... have to admit I didn't see that ending coming.

Falx on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aw, I read that Durarara is taking this week off. Lame. :(

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
This discussion has been closed.