As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bug Report : Ads By Google

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
Well since Ads by google screws up sometimes I thought we should have a thread on it.

This one is just a minor one, but the colors reverted to the black and white original colors, this could be intentional, but they were the forum colors for a while.

EDIT : OK now they are just fucking with me, they keep changing the colors. This could be intentional, but I doubt it.

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    Leetness IncarnateLeetness Incarnate Registered User regular
    edited October 2003
    When I first opened this thread, they were black and white, but then when I looked at another forum window, they were in the normal colors, so it's not just you.

Leetness Incarnate on
    1155848-1.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2003
    EDIT : OK now they are just fucking with me, they keep changing the colors. This could be intentional, but I doubt it.

Conspiracy by Google? :lol:

Henroid on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2003
    I keep getting different variations of this color scheme, different shades of blue, then white and blue.
    I'm scared.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2003
    AFAIK, it has been this way for ages. There are 4 color schemes, and it rotates through them. Perhaps they just enabled something to make it work for alternative browsers, and so this is why you are noticing it for the first time? If you all don't use IE 5+, that is...

Ramius on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    I've noticed an abnormally large amount of "Gay and lesbian chat" ads in the Ads by Google box. I'm not saying this is offensive or anything, but is there some way to manipulate those ads so that they'll show more useful links?

pasmall1.JPG

pasmall2.JPG

Sorry about the h-scroll.

:edit: and for bumping a month old topic.

:edit2: these are from the forum index page.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    The ads are topically based on the information on the page. The number of gay ads you get shouldn't be surprising at all, especially in SE.

Soundwave on
  • Options
    Grayman222Grayman222 Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    They advertise comics lots it seems. Heh right now I just see a plain white bar

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Options
    SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    I see ads for website colouring at the moment, kinda proves the point.

Soundwave on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    Soundwave wrote:
    I see ads for website colouring at the moment, kinda proves the point.
    I do too. Let's experiment.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I've noticed an abnormally large amount of "Gay and lesbian chat" ads in the Ads by Google box. I'm not saying this is offensive or anything, but is there some way to manipulate those ads so that they'll show more useful links?

snip

chop

Sorry about the h-scroll.

:edit: and for bumping a month old topic.

:edit2: these are from the forum index page.

You beat me to it, but those popped up when I went to Ramius' place. =(

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Hrm, I guess the question is..should I second-guess the all-powerful wisdom of google and explicitly block those ads ( I believe I have the power to block up to 50 ad URLs or so ). Or do I assume that google is wise beyond comprehension and is picking up on the latent homosexual urges which are so frequently "jokingly" expressed on these forums. Perhaps there is an untapped market of forumers interested in gay chat or gay singles....

I'm torn on what to do.

Ramius on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2003
    Ramius wrote:
    Hrm, I guess the question is..should I second-guess the all-powerful wisdom of google and explicitly block those ads ( I believe I have the power to block up to 50 ad URLs or so ). Or do I assume that google is wise beyond comprehension and is picking up on the latent homosexual urges which are so frequently "jokingly" expressed on these forums. Perhaps there is an untapped market of forumers interested in gay chat or gay singles....

I'm torn on what to do.

I don't find them offencive or anything, but I don't imagine they'd get high click through rates here.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2003
    gay guys are hot

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2003
    gay guys are hot

*jumps out of the closet*

I'm still not gay, I just surprised and mugged Susie

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I was merely amused where they popped up. Not that I would dare cast aspersions on anyones (especially a mods *grovel*) sexuality, to each their own.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Maybe google will upgrade their ad posting software so that the forums can let them know what does and doesn't get click throughs.

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    maybe they already track clickthroughs and those types of ads are getting the most clicks so they are showing them more.

Who dares to question the all-powerful google?

Not I.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Buy pink saphires.
    Nail polish displays.

I knew Orthanc had a feminine side.

I was thinking that they would have information not specificly on our demographic, but things to advertise to us. Comics, games, technology, finding same sex partners, that sorta thing.

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    Ramius wrote:
    maybe they already track clickthroughs and those types of ads are getting the most clicks so they are showing them more.

Who dares to question the all-powerful google?

Not I.

You fool, google is a false god. He is a gould.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2003
    that h scroll is avoidable. if you can trim vertical you can trim horizontal!

I /always/ get white background with a turquoise border (like in those huge pics above)

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2003
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that SE is so far in the closet that it's in fucking Narnia.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that SE is so far in the closet that it's in fucking Narnia.

Tubie darling, come back to bed

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2003
    ...yes dear.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    SE in the closet? When are you visiting SE? Is it on uptight thursdays? People in Social Entrophy are so open about their cocks and which forumer they want to put it in and which forumers they would take that SE++ can't be in the closet. SE makes San Fransisco look like one of those places were they burn homosexuals at the stake.

Grayman222 on
    "A TRUE POSTHUNK" -150cc
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    this topic is pure gold.

hmmm.jpg

ezboards is also trying to tell me something.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    DiamondbackDiamondback Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    1) Grayman222 is the Poster of the Month.

2) I get nothing but ads for comic strips like Peanuts and Doonesbury.

Diamondback on
    [url=irc://irc.slashnet.org/paforums]paforumsig.gif[/url]
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2003
    Bergy wrote:
    this topic is pure gold.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dberg06/hmmm.jpg

ezboards is also trying to tell me something.

Under the regular adwords T&Cs you cann't encourage people to click on the links in any way. That is one of the special non-branded ones though, so maybe EZBoards has a special agreement.

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way