As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]ical illusion

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i dont believe in punishment either, from an official standpoint. it does nothing to reduce crime because it does not tackle the causes of crime

but i do hope the universe sorts him out

James on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    There may be things in my past that make me a bit biased with that as well.

Trust me. I know where you're coming from.

Seeing his smug bro face awakens some primal fucking urge in me that makes me want to stomp his balls in.

But that's hardly a perfect solution.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    man, dudes, i don't

but then i don't really believe in vengeance and have no taste for it beyond the like "i keyed his car" petty level

Yeah, I'm normally not a vengeful person, and like to focus on rehabilitating the person if possible, or removing them from society if not.

Usually.

With serial rapists who justify their actions, though? I want them raped and killed.

It's something that gets me on a gut level and I don't care if it's vengeance.

hrm

can't say i like that viewpoint, duder

i mean, i understand it

but there ain't nobody i would ever wish rape upon

even paul bernardo

Pony on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Right, like I said, I know it's purely me wanting vengeance, and I am aware this is one case where my beliefs on punishment are not consistent.

I am aware of this. I still want it to happen to him, though.

Edit: Understandably, Pony. I'm not expecting people to agree with me here. I'm admitting that I'm being biased and inconsistent.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Right, like I said, I know it's purely me wanting vengeance, and I am aware this is one case where my beliefs on punishment are not consistent.

i get it dude

just so long as you realize that ain't a good quality and not a viewpoint society as a lot should hold

it's okay to be angry

it's quite another to be like "that makes it okay" based on the anger

Pony on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I paid for the hour.

It possibly shows my naivety, but I've often wondered about this with prostitutes. I pay for an hour. So really I should be plugging away there trying to get in as many orgasms as a young, virile gentleman as myself can. Is that how it works? Or is it, you buy an hour which includes up to one orgasm. What about if I am just on the cusp when the time runs out? Do we have to stop while I pay for another three minutes? How strictly do said whores adhere to times? Or is a session much less strictly regimented?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Basically I get what you're saying Nocturne and while I mostly agree I just can't say in good confidence that I'd ever want another individual to be raped.

Violently beaten or murdered wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't be the one to do it. I doubt jail is fun.

Not that that's any better, mind you.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The LHC has seen collisions at 7 TeV!!

And now I go to work!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woo! LHC is now colliding things.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i get it dude

just so long as you realize that ain't a good quality and not a viewpoint society as a lot should hold

it's okay to be angry

it's quite another to be like "that makes it okay" based on the anger

Right. And I recognize it's not a viewpoint that society should hold, and not the way punishment should be assigned.

I'm admitting clouded judgment due to anger and personal bias. I still want it to happen, though.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I paid for the hour.

It possibly shows my naivety, but I've often wondered about this with prostitutes. I pay for an hour. So really I should be plugging away there trying to get in as many orgasms as a young, virile gentleman as myself can. Is that how it works? Or is it, you buy an hour which includes up to one orgasm. What about if I am just on the cusp when the time runs out? Do we have to stop while I pay for another three minutes? How strictly do said whores adhere to times? Or is a session much less strictly regimented?

I read a blog by a prostitute and she charged per act.

So she was amazing at giving blowjobs, had it down to the science, because guys who had only had meh blowjobs up until then would pay for it figuring it would last a long time and give the most bang for the buck as it were. Then she would rock their worlds and collect her cash.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i basically don't believe in vengeance, eye-for-an-eye, or even really the penal system as punishment

the penal system should exist to segregate dangerous people from the rest of society and rehabilitate them

if rehabilitation to an acceptable level is essentially impossible (paul bernardo, for example), then segregating them from anyone they can harm will have to be good enough

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    a large part of tackling rape, at least as far as young people go

is that, well

most of them don't even realize that they are committing rape

this is something that really needs to be drilled into people's heads.

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »

is that, well

This too. Although the story that was linked was most definitely not one of these cases.

These guys were going from dorm room to dorm room looking for unlocked doors so they could break in and rape women.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I paid for the hour.

I read a blog by a prostitute and she charged per act.

So she was amazing at giving blowjobs, had it down to the science, because guys who had only had meh blowjobs up until then would pay for it figuring it would last a long time and give the most bang for the buck as it were. Then she would rock their worlds and collect her cash.

Interesting. I got about two thirds into Belle De Jour's Diary of a something something unremarkable title "that girl who worked as a prossie while she was writing up her PhD", and she seemed to have upfront payment on a "per session" basis, which I presumed was about time. And then it had had a narrative added, which diluted the voyeuristic fun.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i basically don't believe in vengeance, eye-for-an-eye, or even really the penal system as punishment

the penal system should exist to segregate dangerous people from the rest of society and rehabilitate them

if rehabilitation to an acceptable level is essentially impossible (paul bernardo, for example), then segregating them from anyone they can harm will have to be good enough

especially for young offenders.

we were almost there, once

James on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The earth is rumbling! It's coming from the south! :shock:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Craiglist types seem to charge for time Then again they are trying to lie and say they only give massages and since I never actually tried one I don't know if that is actually what they are charging for or if the difference between a half hour and an hour is really just a half BJ/half sex and bareback anal.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The earth is rumbling! It's coming from the south! :shock:

:O

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That All Points Bulletin trailer that was linked looks rad as hell.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    actually this is kind of funny because i am writing a paper which argues against mandatory minimums and incarceration as a way of reducing crime right nooooowwwwwwwww

James on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I had 4 feet of water again.

The emergency pump failed.

I have no heat or hot water.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You should start keeping otters. They are like dogs who live in water.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like your basement is more trouble than it's worth, Justin.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »

is that, well

This too. Although the story that was linked was most definitely not one of these cases.

These guys were going from dorm room to dorm room looking for unlocked doors so they could break in and rape women.

the reality is dudes like this Broseph trawling the residences looking for nubile freshmen to violate is not the majority of rape

by a longshot

the majority of sexual assault is committed by people well-known to the victim, and in a context where consensual sexual activity could've been possible, at least in the eyes of the perpetrator.

which is why rapists default to a "it was consensual!" defense 9/10.

the reality is most rapists do not acknowledge that what they did was rape. it's either confusion or outright active denial, but they will not accept that what they did was rape. they will insist that the victim wanted it, because they actually do believe that (or, are trying hard to believe it because they want to believe it)

most rapists are not heartless sociopaths incapable of human empathy. for the most part, they're self-absorbed, ignorant jerks who care about their needs first and don't really consider the other person an equal or someone who "knows what they want".

rapists are often not monsters and are usually just asshole-ish people who make some very critical and selfish errors of judgment

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think I'd be more than happy to suicide bomb myself to kill mister Daniel Katsnelson there.

That smug face, it just makes me wanna go all irrational on him.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I think I'd be more than happy to suicide bomb myself to kill mister Daniel Katsnelson there.

considering the link Cass posted was to a feminist blog that had a warning about "triggering" ahead of time

i am pretty sure the picture was specifically chosen by the person who wrote the post to invoke this reaction from you

i am willing to wager it was taken from like, his facebook or some shit before he even got busted

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes Pony I'm aware of that.

But I was talking about this particular broseph, who I would classify as a monster.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aldo wrote: »

I don't think they let anything black in.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yes. It marks a bright new day for the continent.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes Pony I'm aware of that.

But I was talking about this particular broseph, who I would classify as a monster.

oh, totally is

dude should be locked up forever

i would happily pay my tax dollars to keep a dude like that in prison the rest of his days

i just don't believe we should rape or kill him

Pony on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the otters suggestion.

yawning.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »

I don't think they let anything black in.

this was fucking ace, man, i wanted to let you know i literally laughed out loud

Pony on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I loved Prof. Cox's comment on this on Wossy the other night. The very scientific term of "bollocks".

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I'm betting a whole bunch of people will get really snippy with each other at the LHC over the next few weeks in that "holy shit don't break it now!" way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my room becomes a mess.

so quickly. it blows my mind.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

considering the link Cass posted was to a feminist blog that had a warning about "triggering" ahead of time

i am pretty sure the picture was specifically chosen by the person who wrote the post to invoke this reaction from you

i am willing to wager it was taken from like, his facebook or some shit before he even got busted

I saw another picture of him posing with some mayor. Not as douchey, still wanted to at least paralyze him from the waist down.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man I'm betting a whole bunch of people will get really snippy with each other at the LHC over the next few weeks in that "holy shit don't break it now!" way.

yeah there's a lot of scientists with very nervous puckered anuses over in switzerland right now

not gonna unclench them anytime soon

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

yeah there's a lot of scientists with very nervous puckered anuses over in switzerland right now

not gonna unclench them anytime soon

Haha, the webcast has pretty much said exactly that. "It's stable, now we will touch nothing!"

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.