As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OtherOS fallout, Sony's changed the EULA now. It's not good. [Page 8]

• Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Two pages?

I figured this such a non-issue that it didn't even warrant a mention, let alone its own thread

Huge issue. I've already contacted the California AG's office and am tempted to file a small claim against Sony if this goes live. Their forums are maxing out with rage posts, even people essentially saying they would never use it still feel like they are being cheated.

1) They are removing features - and this is consistent with the timeline of the PS3 existence. Looks back to physical emulation and chip readers in earlier versions.

2) They advertised this as a feature, and in fact are still advertising it as a feature.

3) The reason I initially went PS3 over 360 was that I figured by the time this generation of consoles were being replaced the option to install an alternative OS and re-purpose the machine would keep it out of the dump and prevent it from being obsoleted.

Stork on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think what has happened is that this firmware update creates three camps of rage.

You have the first camp that uses OtherOS. Even though it has low memory, people use the Linux side to rip DVDs. (The SPEs can hella decrypt a disc in software), use it as a media server, allows use of Firefox, and for the extra nerdy people, access to very unique hardware. There are CS students who are using the Cell for their graduate thesis, and Sony is taking it away. There are also licensed PS3 developers that use using OtherOS at home so they can work on an SPE render pipeline. Sony does not allow you to take the TOOL development kit out of a secure location or else you lose your license to develop it.

The second camp are people who have been waiting for an update to fix various annoyances that seem trivial to repair, but Sony seems to just not listen. Some of these quirks are you can't delete trophies at it gets really cluttered if you rent a lot of games. Support for mpg4 movies over 4 GB and support for .MKV are also in demand. The backup system is a little broken. No cross-game chat. No Home updates. File management can be streamlined. (Try deleting 100 saves from FF13). Also some updates to the web browser would be nice, (see the first group). It's just the sheer oddness that an "upgrade" came out that removes an arbitrary function. The idea to remove something in order to fix it strikes some as just weird.

You also have a 3rd camp that doesn't give a shit. but they aren't as vocal about it.

===========NINJA EDIT===============
    Wow Geohot just thew down the gauntlet
    A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

halkun on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What's CFW? something firmware?

EDIT: Custom Firmware?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    What's CFW? something firmware?

EDIT: Custom Firmware?

Yea, it's what broke the PSP wide open.

halkun on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if what Geohot is brewing up will allow OSselect on the PS3 slim.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    ===========NINJA EDIT===============

It's not a ninja edit if you announce it.

Count me in the "don't care" camp.

Dirty on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't care so much if Sony wasn't going with the "It only does everything" campaign. Sony, that's the campaign you should have started with. You know, when your console actually had features that the others didn't?

The PS3, now doing less of everything.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The PS3 is doomed.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't. Take. Away. Features. Dammit, Sony. Even if it was barely used, it gets noticed.

I believe Sony made apparent a while back that they considered removing previous existing features, regardless of use or popularity, a "move in the right direction".

At least, their behavior would suggest that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Wow Geohot just thew down the gauntlet
    A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

I wonder if he remembers that the last guy who tried to make CFW for the PS3 got sued almost as soon as he got anywhere

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wavecutter wrote: »
    That's a pretty bold claim, why do you believe this is so? Do you think sony would patch out a "feature" just because some guy faked cracking the hypervisor? You do know he made that stuff available, right?
    Did you actually read my post? Where did I say he faked hacking into the hypervisor? He quite obviously did, but everything he's said (and shown) since has been pretty unreliable. Or do you really believe the 'hello geohot' screen is real despite the fact that it doesn't line up with the other text?

Silly goose, you implied that the screenshots were fake. I think it's forgivable if I inferred that to mean the whole thing was fake.

No, you are pretty obviously the silly goose here. I'll even quote my original post:
    There is no way to fix it the 'right' way aside from a recall. Geohot hacked into the actual hardware, and while he can't do jack in there (despite his ridiculous claims/photoshops to try and save face), I don't think Sony's going to take any chances after what happened with the PSP.

In other words, I said he hacked into the hardware but can't really do anything in there. This is the screenshot I said was a photoshop, seeing as the text he added is on a different angle than the normal PS3 text. If he were telling the truth about that stuff, I think he would've shown a bit more evidence than that dodgy screen.
    Before PS3 came out, I remember people going on about what a Big Fucking Deal it was that Linux could go on there.

Turns out not I suppose.

I'll admit I was one of the ones super excited about it. Then it actually came out and I realised how limited it was.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This isn't going to effect anyone's graduate thesis - those PS3's aren't used for gaming and thus there will be no need to update them anyway.

I do wonder if this has the potential to backfire. This provides an incentive for some to develop CFW to allow running OtherOS while still having an updated PS3. And I assume that once any piece of CFW is up and running on PS3 then piracy will follow very, very quickly.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

insert Niemöller's "First they came. . ." poem here.

Really

You just equated losing BC in a video game system to the Holocaust

This is a thing you have done

Jesus Christ

Rent on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has Sony removed something else from PS3s after they were sold?
    Yes we all miss our 2 usb ports, SACD playback, memory card reader and PS2 compatibility, but if you bought a 40gb PS3 or later you knew going into it what you got for your money. Or should have known, same difference.

Comments here and elsewhere makes it seem like Sony removes stuff left and right, but I can't remember anything else Sony removed from PS3s already in the wild.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was going to post a rebuttal but I think I'll let it drop

Geohot is a badass hacker. Thanks to him I can use my Iphone to connect to the internet.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has Sony removed something else from PS3s after they were sold?
    Yes we all miss our 2 usb ports, SACD playback, memory card reader and PS2 compatibility, but if you bought a 40gb PS3 or later you knew going into it what you got for your money. Or should have known, same difference.

Comments here and elsewhere makes it seem like Sony removes stuff left and right, but I can't remember anything else Sony removed from PS3s already in the wild.

I don't think so. Other than the hardware changes, they've only added more firmware upgrades.

People are probably bitching about the ports & BC loss, but that's completely different from this. I tried Ubuntu on mine and it wasn't worth the effort, though I heard Yellow Dog was a better build.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Really

Jesus Christ

I didn't equate shit.

The poem is most often used as an allegory for progressively losing things/features/rights until the point where there's no things/features/rights left to lose. It also conveys the idea that had you stood up for those things/features/rights in the first place you'd have a better platform to defend the thing/feature/right that is important to you.

I actually had to spell it out for you?

Jesus Christ

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Regarding the reports it runs dreadfully... it doesn't. It's by no means a power house but a number of new distros, drivers and fixes mean it actually runs "well". You're not going to play any games on it but as an actual desktop machine it's good. And it can crunch numbers for video encoding like nobody's business.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ya know, despite all of Sony's PS3-related fuck-ups, they have yet to screw up anything that affects me personally, and as a result, I have been completely indifferent.

Though I would love to see actual numbers detailing how many people would be really affected by this. Too bad that would be impossible.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Really

Jesus Christ

I didn't equate shit.

The poem is most often used as an allegory for progressively losing things/features/rights until the point where there's no things/features/rights left to lose. It also conveys the idea that had you stood up for those things/features/rights in the first place you'd have a better platform to defend the thing/feature/right that is important to you.

Jesus Christ

Ah, so you're using the slippery slope fallacy instead. Well, that's fine then

Also no, that poem specifically describes the Holocaust

You can pretend you weren't Godwinning but, uh, you were

Nice try though bud

Rent on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also that poem is really fucking pretentious if applied to anything other than, well, the holocaust.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also that poem is really fucking pretentious if applied to anything other than, well, the holocaust.

Also it's not a goddamn civil fucking right to have BC in your vidja system, and it's an active insult you're even implying that the two inhabit the same realm of existence

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I agree with this statement.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    What does this mean to me, as a "doesn't really fuck with his console" consumer?

It means shit that your playstation was advertised as being able to do is no longer possible on the machine you bought. I never use bluetooth headsets with my ps3, but if they decided to randomly patch it out one day I'd be pissed, because the box my ps3 is in says it supports headsets right there.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Really

Jesus Christ

I didn't equate shit.

Jesus Christ

Ah, so you're using the slippery slope fallacy instead. Well, that's fine then

Also no, that poem specifically describes the Holocaust

You can pretend you weren't Godwinning but, uh, you were

Nice try though bud
    well if it's good enough for Niemöller then I guess it's good enough for me
    well now I know you're a troll.

You can pretend you weren't intentionally misinterpreting me but, uh, you were

Nice try though bud.

Also Dirty is proof of my point.

Finally I agree that the poem is really pretentious when used for anything other than civil rights movements, but it best described the point I was trying to make. I guess The Hangman would have been a better one to use but it is significantly more elaborate and isn't often used as an allegory to make the point.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't worry bro, I was able to get your meaning without getting my twisties in a panty.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also that poem is really fucking pretentious if applied to anything other than, well, the political, racial and religious victims of Nazi Germany.

I agree with this statement.

Fix'd slightly because I'm a History grad student, and terribly anal on this specific matter.

Mostly because there was a tendency in the 70s and 80s to distort the original text of the poem to appear more politically convenient (the most famous example is replacing "communists" with "Catholics" and cut the Catholic line that appears later, because being sympathetic for dead communists was socially unacceptable). Some of these versions have basically gotten legitimacy over time, worst of all. To be fair, Niemöller himself gave slightly different versions of the poem when he stated it out loud, but I think he'd be pissed off too how it was being twisted as it is presently.

More relevantly, I'd be particularly pissed of Sony somehow removed BC from my pre-existing console (through a malicious update or whatever), primarily because I bought a PS3 in large part to replace my 3 dead PS2s (2005, 2006, and 2008 thereabouts). It'd probably factor in my decisions whether to buy another Sony console ("Buy our console, we probably won't remove features when expedient to us.").

Of course, I'd say this is extremely unlikely (versus dropping BC from new consoles, which happened and wasn't particularly surprising at least to me). And even then, it'd just be, well, false advertising and lying, not any sort of crime against human decency. Similarly, I don't remember Sony having so strenuously advertised Linux capability as much as BC, but I do remember them dropping the notes and the like. It effects a different percentage of people this late in the game, and while kind of a dick move, not the biggest dick move they could do.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sony to completely remove hardware PS2 BC in next update confirmed.

The update after that will remove the ability to play PS3 games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I can't say I ever had plans of installing Linux on my system, but this basically says to me that Sony feels it has the right to take away something I bought. Their reason doesn't exactly seem to be particularly pressing, either. That's what pisses me off about this.

Given the whole dance they've done with BC on the PS3, it doesn't feel too farfetched to say that someday they MIGHT fucking patch out PS2 BC for all PS3s. So far their plan has been:

Step 1: Include hardware BC on PS3s as a feature! Many people who have enormous fucking PS2 libraries are happy!

Sadly, manufacturing PS2 innards to put in PS3s is costly, and the system is already expensive to produce, so...

Step 2: Spend time and money developing pretty darn good software BC on 2nd-generation PS3s. It's not hardware, but hey, it works pretty darn well.

???

Step 3: Having spent money developing software BC, which has a per-unit cost of ZERO, stop putting it on new PS3s

I'm pretty sure ??? was "begin planning download your old games for $10 service for PS2 games." The official word from Sony was that they wanted people to buy more PS3 games, and obviously making PS3 games worth buying wasn't a good solution.

I love my PS3, but god damn Sony has done a shitty job of it this generation.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's speculative, but I don't think Sony could resist the temptation to resell PS2 games (at a reduced price, of course), when the other option was "Let people keep playing their PS2 games, at no profit."

Besides, of course, the cost of the console itself, but that doesn't count.

And when did they buy those PS2 games? Five, six, seven years ago? That's, like, forever, so it doesn't count either.

(I'm kidding, of course, it's just too much fun. And MS is trying to cash in with their old titles, though thankfully they still make consoles with their own software BC.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was actually thinking of putting YDL on my PS3 for a couple months now. It's really not that much trouble and I wanted to be able to use a browser that wasn't completely crippled. Oh, well.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    Step 3: Having spent money developing software BC, which has a per-unit cost of ZERO, stop putting it on new PS3s

There has never been full software BC. The first gen ps3 had both the cpu and gpu chips. The second gen used software to emulate the cpu but it still had the gpu, the third revision removed the gpu as well.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »

There has never been full software BC. The first gen ps3 had both the cpu and gpu chips. The second gen used software to emulate the cpu but it still had the gpu, the third revision removed the gpu as well.

The more you know!

I'd be interested to know what the per-unit cost is, because BC is pretty important to a lot of people and fucking A it can't be enough to justify removing it.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm still gonna file this under "not an issue"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm still gonna file this under "not an issue"

It wouldn't be. Except the insistence on those four little words, which lend a certain...irony to the situation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would be all for them changing the slogan to It Only Does Everything That Matters to Normal People

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING*

*Except specific things it used to do in the past which, in retrospect, we really wish we hadn't advertised, but it was just so tempting.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would be all for them changing the slogan to It Only Does Everything That Matters to Normal People

Not only can it not file my taxes for me, starting Thursday I can't even manually file my taxes online using it.

This is but one instance of things that matter to normal people.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Not only can it not file my taxes for me, starting Thursday I can't even manually file my taxes online using it.

This is but one instance of things that matter to normal people.

Screw not being able to play Sony-licensed PS2 games, it can't play DVDs from other regions!

As a normal, DVD-watching person, that matters a lot to me!
    I only mention this since my Xbox 360 can, but, peculiarly, my PS3 cannot.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Voth wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of putting YDL on my PS3 for a couple months now. It's really not that much trouble and I wanted to be able to use a browser that wasn't completely crippled. Oh, well.

The PS3 browser isn't completely terrible. You can use a mouse and keyboard, and it supports flash

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2