As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Post-PAX Blues

mei0023mei0023 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Three/two/one days of sheer madness, joy, and unbridled nerdery, and then it's back to the real world. You hop on that plane/train/T/car and head back to your job/school/home/basement...

But then what? Life is gray, life is dull; life without PAX is no fun at all! How do you fight off the inevitable down feeling that settles in when you have to go back to the outside world?

XBL: s0ph14 | Currently playing: Bioshock 2 | On tap: Ocarina of Time
mei0023 on

• capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, I've got it bad.

It definitely helped to take the day off on Monday to decompress (we drove back down Sunday afternoon). But now I'm at work and I've spent too much time browsing the forums, trying to keep that feeling of community going with my PAX bretheren.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • SammySammy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    we didn't leave boston until monday, and when we got home we were able to bust out our new board games and play with a friend. so the feeling didn't go away completely.

today though, yeah. i've got it bad too. i've missed my two morning classes cause i just didn't feel up for it. i'm dragging ass, and have been living on the boards since PAX ended sunday.

have to say i'm definitely going to try and make it to Seattle.

Sammy on
    Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • reyesdreyesd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1. Follow the #PAX feed religously until it eventually peters out

2. Lurk on the PAX forums

3. Make plans for PAX Prime!

4. Above all, call up some friends (new friends from the weekend, perhaps?) and play games!

reyesd on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »
    Oh man, I've got it bad.

It definitely helped to take the day off on Monday to decompress (we drove back down Sunday afternoon). But now I'm at work and I've spent too much time browsing the forums, trying to keep that feeling of community going with my PAX bretheren.

Man, me too. Shit, I can't even really talk or think about PAX without almost getting weepy. Like right now.

It's crazy, I didn't expect to have a feeling of homesickness and loss after leaving a fucking convension, ya know? Heck, I wasn't even really excited for it until about 2 weeks beforehand.

I met people I've talked to online and they became real people to me, not only that but really good friends that I'll hopefully be seeing again in June so that kinda keeps me going.

After my friends after getting dinner to drive to their homes 7 hours away, I barely held it together to drive back to my own home before crying like a fucking baby. Basically I, a 31 year old man, hugged his cat (who was very adverse to this entire event) and just wept. I'm kinda glad my GF wasn't there to witness this, but she'll be over tonight and when I talk about it I will probably cry again, so that should be an interesting reaction from her. I already gave fair warning of the possibility. :lol:

Since I graduated college, what, 9 years ago? I've never had a really really close group of friends that I could just...gel with. I really felt that at PAX with these people, and it was incredible. Not to mention the complete feeling of acceptance and community from EVERYONE there. Now I'm back at work, and I have to constantly succeed on stealth checks to hide my true geekery and personality, which gets extremely tiring.

Ok, enough, enough. It's taken me 45 minutes to write this, taking composure breaks so I didn't break down at my desk here at work. Just 12 months away...

Truly, the best swag of all was the memories.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for making this thread - you summed up exactly how I'm feeling. I took yesterday off from work, gave my son the swag I got for him (thanks Puzzle Quest booth lady for the Ben 10 and Astroboy stuff!), and we played the copy of Pokemon Heartgold I bought while I was there. Now I'm back at work with complaining, whiney people and my grey cube walls and I ache to be back with friends. It's so hard to be back to normal life where I have no group of gaming friends, no one except my wife who appreciates how awesome it is that my DS is signed by Gabe, Tycho and Weaton, and frankly I just feel lost again.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Heres a tip to help cure your post PAXpartum depression: Head over to Wizard's Store Locator . Look for the stores that aren't listed as mass market. 9 times out of 10 a store that carries Wizard's products usually have a good gathering of regulars that play all sorts of games together. Its how I found my second home down here after moving (Tho you'll always be my first love Reality's Edge!!). Check out the stores in your area and find one that fits with you. You'll be surprised at what you may find, especially now that PAX proves our hobby transcends demographics!!

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My advice is to remember that what made PAX great was us, and so why not take that into our day-to-day lives?

NotASenator on
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I miss all my new friends too. I would love to go to Prime, but Labor Day weekend is just impossible due to other commitments. It's gonna be a long wait until next year. I guess I gotta fine some fellow geeks to game with in the meanwhile...

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • Krag123Krag123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got the Post PAX blues. Cant say that i have ever felt this way after any of the other Cons i have been to before. I think what makes it worse is that i actually work in the Prudential center so i have see that hall every day and can only remember the fun :(

Krag123 on
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Krag123 wrote: »
    I got the Post PAX blues. Cant say that i have ever felt this way after any of the other Cons i have been to before. I think what makes it worse is that i actually work in the Prudential center so i have see that hall every day and can only remember the fun :(

Aye, walking through the Prudential Center without it being jammed packed with awesome people will never feel the same again.

I hear the line for the GameStop was unbelievable.

Here's to the PAX in Boston!

Cheers!

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    My advice is to get over it.

Don't be a dick.
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Man, me too. Shit, I can't even really talk or think about PAX without almost getting weepy. Like right now.

It's crazy, I didn't expect to have a feeling of homesickness and loss after leaving a fucking convension, ya know? Heck, I wasn't even really excited for it until about 2 weeks beforehand.

I met people I've talked to online and they became real people to me, not only that but really good friends that I'll hopefully be seeing again in June so that kinda keeps me going.

After my friends after getting dinner to drive to their homes 7 hours away, I barely held it together to drive back to my own home before crying like a fucking baby. Basically I, a 31 year old man, hugged his cat (who was very adverse to this entire event) and just wept. I'm kinda glad my GF wasn't there to witness this, but she'll be over tonight and when I talk about it I will probably cry again, so that should be an interesting reaction from her. I already gave fair warning of the possibility.

Since I graduated college, what, 9 years ago? I've never had a really really close group of friends that I could just...gel with. I really felt that at PAX with these people, and it was incredible. Not to mention the complete feeling of acceptance and community from EVERYONE there. Now I'm back at work, and I have to constantly succeed on stealth checks to hide my true geekery and personality, which gets extremely tiring.

Ok, enough, enough. It's taken me 45 minutes to write this, taking composure breaks so I didn't break down at my desk here at work. Just 12 months away...

Incredible. You summed up everything I was feeling. PAX is becoming more special as I get older. I can't wait to go back.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone ever tried to organize small Penny Arcade gaming groups in the past? I know that I would be up for a Penny Arcade monthly gaming gettogether/bbq/etc if I found a group of gamers in my area. I'd love to get more confortable in Magic or try more of the odd board/card games within a smaller group that I could see more than just once a year. Heck just having someone to play Street Fighter with would be fun. My group of friends just aren't gamers.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • pardimatepardimate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just keep on looking at my pictures/videos and stalking the forums to relive the glory.

pardimate on
    IL8kkvS.png
  • astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Me. I miss my peoples. No one is going to randomly shout "POKEWALKER!" in mid conversation, and suddenly pokewalkers come tumbling out of pockets and off lanyards and into a circle. Not until Prime, I guess.

I miss you guys. :( A lot.

EDIT: I guess I should actually answer the question - I've turned to the IRC chat and the forums.

astillac on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vapok wrote: »
    Krag123 wrote: »

Aye, walking through the Prudential Center without it being jammed packed with awesome people will never feel the same again.

I hear the line for the GameStop was unbelievable.

Here's to the PAX in Boston!

Cheers!

well, you can always go this weekend when AnimeBoston is here ... ;)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Polar BehrPolar Behr Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    It's great that a thread like this was made. This was my first PAX and I haven't attended a con in years (over 10 years), so it was so great to see all the camaraderie everywhere. I didn't think that I would feel the blues after PAX, but I have to say that it's been tough the past few days. My wife and I both do all that we can to just keep it going, but meeting with friends who are several states away and only meet for a few days is tough.

Good thing though, I find out that there are some folks that game where I live and we're planning on getting together.

So Until next time, and perhaps sooner at PAX Prime.

Polar Behr on
  • ClockClock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I miss you PAX.

Clock on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't save & quit you!

Pablo the Penguin on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Given that I'm now pumping and wet vacing out (Hey Nature...Please stop trying to make Massachusetts into Atlantis. kthxbye) while awaiting going to an IV treatment tomorrow starting a once a week series for the next month, I know I for SURE miss PAX. The overall feeling of being home, surrounded by people who are all friendly and cool and just "get it." It's unlikely that I'll be able to get to Prime this year barring a miracle, so I'll just have to wait and count the days till the next PAX east. Till then, I'll keep in touch with those I met both there and on here.

*Flashes the Iron Cross*

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    well, you can always go this weekend when AnimeBoston is here ... ;)

So not the same. PAX is probably twice, if not three times as big as Anime Boston.

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I definitely have me a case of the post-PAX Blues.

Sigh.

I almost sold my 3day pass when I learned none of my loser friends :P were going. I was so nervous to go by myself... especially being female. But I'm so glad I did. Everyone there was so nice and I had so much fun. I even had great conversations about things that had nothing to do with games.

And now... its back to work... and deadlines. Bleh.

kitties_on_acid on
  • terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have it year round, I got it every year after hitting PAX Prime in '04 and then again in '08, the years I missed I always have it in the back of my mind that I should be somewhere. What sucks is I always wanted a PAX East (since I live in NC), and they finally get it, and I can't make it. I was able to ease the pain by convincing myself it probably won't have the chemistry and air that PAX Prime had, but from what I hear that's not the case at all. So now it sounds like I have two PAX's to go to every year.

terrix on
    edited March 2010
    First, an apology. I was a fucking prick and I'm sorry.

My post-PAX blues:

I had one of the most phenomenal weekends of my life. The group of people I was with, the panels, the whole experience was amazing. It's difficult to put into words how much every single moment was perfect.

I met so many people just walking around and everyone was willing to share their stories with me. The enforcers were great too.

Today I came back into work exhausted after driving back to Virginia in the pouring rain and found things in disarray. While I was gone, our network was broken into, our backups started failing and our CEO's laptop died. My boss scheduled a 10am meeting for me to assign me as project manager for a major transition we're doing over the next month. Basically, life went from astoundingly good to crushingly bad in a very, very short amount of time.

I would give anything to be back up there for one more day, just hanging out with you guys and hearing about where you came from and what you've done.

My life is pretty full and I feel lucky all the time that I experience all the awesome things that I do on a day-to-day basis, so I wouldn't normally buy into the concept that life is so empty and dull after a convention, but all of you guys gave me a weekend that was truly memorable, and by far the best PAX experience I've ever had. Worn out and a little overwhelmed by a return to reality, right now all I want is to turn to the guy sitting in line next to me and have him explain to me how the hell Magic: The Gathering works.

I can not wait for next year.

Dear NotACrook,

You have received an infraction at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason: Dont be a fucking prick.

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

Original Post:
    [post]14240437[/post]
    My advice is to get over it.

All the best,
    Penny Arcade Forums

I thought you guys would enjoy seeing that.

NotASenator on
  • DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone ever tried to organize small Penny Arcade gaming groups in the past? I know that I would be up for a Penny Arcade monthly gaming gettogether/bbq/etc if I found a group of gamers in my area. I'd love to get more confortable in Magic or try more of the odd board/card games within a smaller group that I could see more than just once a year. Heck just having someone to play Street Fighter with would be fun. My group of friends just aren't gamers.

Are you located in the Boston area? If so, try this this group.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=396063749851

There have been a few pre Pax meetups which were really fun and there will definitely be post Pax meetups to come. Also, I play Street Fighter online on the 360 if you are game. I know it's not the same.

Darkshowers on
    Ds3hsEH.png
  • nutternutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love this thread.

I'd never even been to a con before. Since most of my friends aren't terribly nerdy, I PAXed alone, thinking it would be a nice escape from this hayseed part of central Florida. I was underestimatingly right! I can't wait to go back. I don't even mind the crippling plague raging through my body at the moment. People actually understood the references on my t-shirts, like Ignignokt and Err, and Dr Rockzo, and the Drunken Clam. I usually get nothing but crinkled foreheads and eye rolls when I wear my nerd gear.

Unfortunately, a car wreck last year has left me with some spinal "gifts" so I wasn't able to walk around long before I had to go back to the hotel room. But that was the first time I've ever been around a cityfull of people just like me. Hell, even a roomfull. I squeezed out every minute I could just to soak up the atmosphere and gaming. Last week I wasn't sure I'd do another con, or even another PAX, but now I'm going to try my hardest to make it to Prime.

nutter on
  • MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hah, NotACrook, I read your post and my first thought was "wow, way to break rule #1 - Don't be a Dick!"

I can understand the grumpiness though. Being openly nerdy for 72 hours then being forced back down into the role of Normal Peon at work sucks.

Especially when my coworkers kept asking me about my days off. I tried being vague, but they didn't let me slide with "a convention in Boston" - I had to explain. Then I got the strange looks and hurried attempts to end the conversation when I tried to explain the glory and amazingness that is PAX without gushing. Trying to explain it in laymans terms is so hard.

So I came to the forums and made an account to hang out here on my break!

MidnyghtChilde on
  • shadowshipshadowship Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel so exhausted now (two days after the CON). I feel that I missed a part something in me. *sigh* I have a lot of fun though at the CON.

I hope everyone did.

shadowship on
  • baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    definitely have myself the postpaxblues.
    i've gotten over them a little by watching the keynote yesterday (then bumping into wil right before i had some dinner), reading forums and twitter and stuff. i'm still in boston until tomorrow night so won't be surrounded by my geekiest friends until friday at least.

then i'm sure my blues can melt away a bit. miss you all already nerd brethren.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
    edited March 2010
    Hah, NotACrook, I read your post and my first thought was "wow, way to break rule #1 - Don't be a Dick!"

I can understand the grumpiness though. Being openly nerdy for 72 hours then being forced back down into the role of Normal Peon at work sucks.

Especially when my coworkers kept asking me about my days off. I tried being vague, but they didn't let me slide with "a convention in Boston" - I had to explain. Then I got the strange looks and hurried attempts to end the conversation when I tried to explain the glory and amazingness that is PAX without gushing. Trying to explain it in laymans terms is so hard.

So I came to the forums and made an account to hang out here on my break!

It was funny I was talking to one of our vendors today over the phone and discussed getting back to work after a vacation. He asked where I went so I did the vague "Gaming convention" thing. He mentioned that next month he's going to a convention and seeing Shatner. I surprised the crap out of him when I whipped out the "Oh, I met Wil Wheaton - he signed my DS". It was a nice moment.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm still flying high on the happiness that PAX gave me, but as Wil Wheaton said in his Twitter account, I feel somewhat homesick. In tribute, I went out and bought myself a copy of Dead Space, because it was a game I saw being played at the console freeplay and figured "what the hell". I'm enjoying it and glad I went. PAX is something I will miss.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• james816james816 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since PAX, I've been desperately trying to find a social group that matches my interests. I've discovered that post-college, this is not an easy feat. All of my friends that live within 60 miles are non-gamers, and I live in a relatively small city.

I had way more fun at PAX than I could have ever expected, and in a way, it was a wake up call to what was missing in my life.

james816 on
  • goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of this thread really sums up how I feel.

I had a great time both at PAX and just in the Boston area in general. Where I live (south jersey outside of philly) just sucks for me. Not a lot to do, not many people to do anything with. At PAX I met guildmates I'd known for years and random people all of whom were friendly. And never once, the whole weekend, did I feel like I was being judged or made fun of or anything like that. And I felt like I could strike up a conversation with anyone around me and we'd have something to talk about. No need to talk about the Local Sportsteam, no bullshit smalltalk. It was wonderful.

And then I drive home (6 hours) to find my house flooding from this shitty noreaster, and tomorrow I have to go back to my boring job. If I didn't hate flying I'd go to PAX Prime just to have that feeling again, and I'll definitely go to Boston again next year. I really do miss it already.

goatbert on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Chorazin wrote: »

Man, way to make me almost lose it again.

PAX East was my first con ever. Outside of the few people I went with, nobody knows what it is. Between trying to explain what it's really about, something I don't even know is possible, and only having a handful of folks to really talk about it with makes it really hard. It's near impossible to pay attention in class as my mind wanders to the magical time in Boston.

What's keeping me going now? Looking at photos, rewatching the posted videos, and reading the anniversary book help. I've been glued to all things PA and gaming since getting back.

But what I'm really focusing on is the community. I've read the comic and mostly lurked on the forums for years. I'm going to try and use this as a strong motivator to become more active within the PA community before next PAX. On the forums, on Twitter, etc. My hope is that next time we all come home, I'll have people from here that I really want to meet and perhaps some folks that want to meet me.

BoomShake on
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The worst part is knowing you wont see all the awesome people you meet at pax again until next year,making you feel alone,I have gamer friends but I don't think they'd have the same experience that I did,next year I'll take them to find out hopefully. I also realize that I can't stand the orange skin tan complexion wannabes in my hometown,all they do is watch mtv and get high...

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2010
    Alright NotaCrook - i totally forgive you. :) Hugs all around.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My new family...I miss you already :(

I'm going to be scouring YouTube and the pictures thread, as well as the scant few pics I took, to keep these wonderful memories alive as long as possible.

Thank you Robert, Jerry, Mike and the rest of the PA crew and the Enforcers for putting this together.

Thank you to everyone who attended who made it magical. Sometimes I wonder if we realize how lucky we are to have such a great community here.

Everyone I met over the past weekend was kind, courteous and downright friendly. There is something magic in the air at PAX. It gets into your bloodstream. It's not about the games. Not entirely.

It's about the people, the friendships and knowing that there is a place for you in this world. It is PAX.

Thank you.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

See??! It's the PAX magic.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • TragTrag boston, maRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I sat down with my pal at a sumo bean bag, and this guy comes up to us with stickers for Nerdblerp.com, and tells it's got everything, news about games to comics about batman. My buddy says what if we don't like batman. The guy hesitates, and all of a sudden plops down into the open sumo beanbag next to us and starts talking comics with us. A girl laying the opposite way of us turns around and joins in when she hears us talking about The Sandman.

I will never forget the people I met here, and how kind everyone was. It was truely amazing, and it bums me out to know that for the next months until Pax East '11, nothing can top last weekend. Nothing this year can even come close, and for that I would like to thank everyone who talked to me in line when I started my meek conversations.

Trag on
  • lojurivelojurive Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well I'm certainly glad I'm not the only one! I'm not even a regular on the forums and I've been posting for the last 48 hours. I USED to be addicted to facebook! I definitely felt special and like I was "home" at PAX. It was my first PAX (but not the last!) and I was used to Comic-con in San Diego. The difference between the two? #1 Pax is geared toward gamers, no one else. You HAVE to play games of SOME SORT to enjoy it. #2 Because of #1, the general public isn't there to try to see "Celebrity A". And that equals less mean/rude people. I <3 gamers, and PAX and Child's Play show the world that we are awesome people!

As for how I'm trying to cure the blues . . . I'm wearing a different swag shirt everyday. I can't be the ONLY one who had a WHOLE load of black game/computer company shirts! (The NVIDIA shirt is BY FAR my favorite. They gave me 2 sizes too big but its SOOOO soft!) And I'm watching the RvB dvd my hubby bought, and posting here in the forums, and watching the PAX09 DVD (That was GIVEN to us by Mike and Jerry!), and playing "Win, Lose, Banana" and "We didn't Playtest this at ALL" with the family.

lojurive on
    edited March 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »

See??! It's the PAX magic.

Khoo is just forgiving me because I apparently was his body double this weekend:

notakhoo.jpg

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.