As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Large [chat]dron Collider

• NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    If I notice someone's shitty sig takes forever to load I just hit escape so I can read uninterrupted.

Yeah, escape will jump you there instantly, so I get used to hitting it. Still an annoyance.

Nocturne on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    First observation with being Flash-less: Youtube movies with ads still play in Flash instead of via HTML5.

So far I haven't found a single ad-free movie.

Echo on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Is the paper talking about universal grammar?

Because if it's talking about universal grammar it's not psychology, it's philosophy.

nope

its saying there is a functional difference between human and nonhuman cognition, and putting forth a model it thinks can help explain both why this currently happens and how this might have plausibly evolved

so it pokes holes in the idea that there is a continuum between humans and animal intelligence at the present time. while also saying "but naturally, humans must have evolved from animals along a continuum even though there is a difference now, the question is how?"

so you can see why saying "darwin's mistake" is just basically title trolling. he doesn't really say anything against darwin.

the whole thing is written incredibly vaguely though, it took me a very long time and a lot of study to be able to sum it out to you so easily.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man, after seeing some of the stuff that came out of MIX the Windows 7 phone is like a developers dream platform when it comes to mobile. From an app developers point of view, it is just so damn far ahead of the iPhone.

*sigh* if only that mean it actually had a decent shot in the market.

Look is there an App for it? Because the tv says there are apps for things and that makes them better.

The main reason I have been getting interested in Win7 Mobile is that, as an app development point of view, it is so cool (I am generally so not into fancy phones). It has the technologicial potential to do things that the iPhone cannot. Especially when it comes to games and video.

I think apple really made a mistake with their No Flash policy. Not because Flash is good, but because they did not offer an alternative* (as Microsoft is doing with Silverlight) that allows for a good streaming media story outside of their crap ass iTunes.

* And HTML5 is not looking very promising to be that alternative. For one, it isn't ready yet. And for another there is a big rift over what kind of videos the <video> tag will support and how. If the standards people can't fix this soon then the only logical conclusion from a business point of view will be to keep using Flash (or Silverlight) rather than HTML5 for video.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there a way to make it so that Netflix doesn't advertise what I'm watching to my friends list?

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    They didn't call it Windows 7 Mobile it's Windows Phone 7

Ah, my bad. I just think of it as "that phone what has XNA 4.0" :)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2010
    Is there a way to make it so that Netflix doesn't advertise what I'm watching to my friends list?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wondered this.

Some levels of social networking I could definitely do without.

Nocturne on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I recall being given the option to enable/disable it when I first used Netflix for the 360.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what are you hiding

Elendil on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    going to some schmoozin thing tonight

my boss says I have to join some professional orgs or hang out with people who do what I do

so that's what I'm doin tonight

:(

skippydumptruck on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    sarksus do you prefer a bathtub or a standalone shower

Organichu on
    edited March 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    what are you hiding

The Wiggles: The Complete Series

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2010

my boss says I have to join some professional orgs or hang out with people who do what I do

Yeah but have you ever kissed ass

On weed?

Nocturne on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what are you hiding

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    what are you hiding

Moriarty is watching All Dogs Go To Heaven for the 131st time

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

I don't like standalone showers

so why don't you join me

Elendil on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Friend's List: 57

Prof.M is Watching:
    -Black Snake Moan
    -Mannequin
    -Love Don't Cost a Thing
    -Never Back Down
    -Liar Liar
    -Jingle All the Way

Friend's List: 0

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

Yeah but have you ever kissed ass

On weed?

o.o

HERE IS MY BUSINESS CARD

I AM SO HIGH RIGHT NOW

skippydumptruck on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes please I grow tired of seeing moriartys terrible taste in entertainment.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Elldren: take a break from the box
    Heh

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    in fact it's so badly written in terms of a psychology paper, which is supposed to be something an amateur can pick up and get an idea of, that i ended up writing a big argument against what i thought the guy was proposing that turned out to be in favour of what he is proposing.

and it turns out what i thought was him being a philosophy twit and talking about silly ontological terms that can't be falsified as just him being unnecessarily verbose.

which is why im so frustrated. if this paper was written well, i wouldn't have wasted my time trying to figure out what the hell this guy is trying to say.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Is the paper talking about universal grammar?

Because if it's talking about universal grammar it's not psychology, it's philosophy.

nope

its saying there is a functional difference between human and nonhuman cognition, and putting forth a model it thinks can help explain both why this currently happens and how this might have plausibly evolved

so it pokes holes in the idea that there is a continuum between humans and animal intelligence at the present time. while also saying "but naturally, humans must have evolved from animals along a continuum even though there is a difference now, the question is how?"

so you can see why saying "darwin's mistake" is just basically title trolling. he doesn't really say anything against darwin.

the whole thing is written incredibly vaguely though, it took me a very long time and a lot of study to be able to sum it out to you so easily.

So if you're describing it as "model" I assume they have some solid evidence to that effect, with specific examples of human reasoning that animals appear to be incapable of?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2010
    You guys are all classic and hilarious and I love you.

Seriously, though, is it possible?

Silas Brown on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Friend: "So what's your Comic-Con costume going to be?"
    Me: "Oh, I don't dress up for Comic-Con. It's bad for networking."
    Friend: "But you dressed up for Gallifrey One and you got lots of networking done there."
    Me: "I wouldn't call giving Gary Russell asking me for my business card and a copy of my book 'lots of networking.'"
    Friend: "...So what's your costume?"

Squirminator2k on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Prof.M is Watching:
    -Where the Men Aren't 13
    -Debbie Does Dallas 2000
    -Twilight
    -Chicks with Dicks: The New Ass
    -Jingle All the Way

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys, I had an idea on the way back from Boston. It has to do with the existence of the afterlife.

First, do you ever feel that you seem to experience your life from the future? That the existence of these experiences are dependent on you remembering them later on? Take this for example:

There are two people in a bedroom. One person (A) is awake and the other is asleep (B). Person B wakes up partially and begins a conversation with person A. After the conversation Person B returns to sleep and because they were not fully awake they do not remember this happening and from their perspective they never experienced it. If you don't remember it then you never experience it. This can be illustrated with a diagram which begins with the person's perceptual beginning (in this case waking up) and then moves onto the person perceiving an experience. Then it forks into either the death of the experience or the experience is saved and remembered. In the former the death of the experience causes the destruction of the perception of the experience as well so it never happened.

Now apply this to something besides a sleepy conversation. You are born, which is the beginning of your perception, and then you perceive the multitude of experiences that one has in the course of their life. If you die and there is nothing afterwards then these experiences would be destroyed and you would not experience them as you did not experience the sleepy conversation. But obviously we do experience these things and we remember them, and we would have to remember them after the experiences ended so then there should be an afterlife.

This was just an idea that popped into my head that is based on how I personally sometimes perceive time and experience and I am pretty sure I'm not explaining it well and I am certain it is grossly flawed so I wanted to post it here to see what others thought of it.

Sarksus on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The trouble with hating you is just that it's just not that easy to.:whistle:

Sheep on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Moriarty, we should do one of those Netflix parties sometime.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2010

I don't mind either, so long there is a shower head.

I don't take baths.

Sarksus on
    edited March 2010

so why don't you join me

i am not even planning on bringing a bag to jersey

i will just wear the same outfit and skip a shower

less time spent with my clothes off is less time i am at risk of rape

Organichu on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Never Back Down should not have been on that list, it is a good guilty pleasure movie and the shame I feel for carrying that opinion is silly. Good movie to get amped up to.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Maybe I just want to watch The Usual Suspects without Nerdgasmic telling me who Kaiser Soze is!

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010

I don't mind either, so long there is a shower head.

I don't take baths.

ON THIS POINT WE ALIGN

*marks check on list*

Organichu on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

so why don't you join me

i am not even planning on bringing a bag to jersey

i will just wear the same outfit and skip a shower

less time spent with my clothes off is less time i am at risk of rape

Just remember to take pictures, dear.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Moriarty, we should do one of those Netflix parties sometime.

Oh shit I do have Netflix on my 360

Nocturne on
    edited March 2010
    Guys, I had an idea on the way back from Boston. It has to do with the existence of the afterlife.

First, do you ever feel that you seem to experience your life from the future? That the existence of these experiences are dependent on you remembering them later on? Take this for example:

There are two people in a bedroom. One person (A) is awake and the other is asleep (B). Person B wakes up partially and begins a conversation with person A. After the conversation Person B returns to sleep and because they were not fully awake they do not remember this happening and from their perspective they never experienced it. If you don't remember it then you never experience it. This can be illustrated with a diagram which begins with the person's perceptual beginning (in this case waking up) and then moves onto the person perceiving an experience. Then it forks into either the death of the experience or the experience is saved and remembered. In the former the death of the experience causes the destruction of the perception of the experience as well so it never happened.

Now apply this to something besides a sleepy conversation. You are born, which is the beginning of your perception, and then you perceive the multitude of experiences that one has in the course of their life. If you die and there is nothing afterwards then these experiences would be destroyed and you would not experience them as you did not experience the sleepy conversation. But obviously we do experience these things and we remember them, and we would have to remember them after the experiences ended so then there should be an afterlife.

This was just an idea that popped into my head that is based on how I personally sometimes perceive time and experience and I am pretty sure I'm not explaining it well and I am certain it is grossly flawed so I wanted to post it here to see what others thought of it.
    ...So you're telling me it's possible to retrieve the data off of my fried external hard drive?

Squirminator2k on
    edited March 2010
    Morninglord: How could you possibly defend that paper though? There is very little archeologicial evidense on the subject what what little there is seems (from everything I have read) to show no discontinuities. There are times when the pace of change seems to be very slow (almost none for hundreds of thousands of years) and times when the pace of change seems to be very fast but not a discontinuity. Just a faster pace.

Course it's damn hard to infer anything about psychology from the subset of tools that survive plus the few intact skulls that show some impressions of what the brain was like.

But again, the evidense that I have seen related to his case seems to be either non-existant or against him.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarks the philosophy thread is that way

deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2010
    Sarks the philosophy thread is that way

NO WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS HERE.

Sarksus on