As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marketplace forum?

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
I think this has been brought up before but would it to be possible to get a marketplace/deal forums for PAers selling video games/consoles/electronics/computer parts/good deals? I've seen these forums before on other sites and they are always a great place to get good deals. Plus you can keep money within the PA community and help out forumers. Has this been ruled on in the past? With our new forum layout and all, I thought maybe we could have something like this now.

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I think the current rules against using the forums to conduct transactions are there because they don't want to have any legal responsibility if people get scammed or whatever. Creating a forum specifically for that sort of thing seems totally counter to that sentiment.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But the forum itself wouldn't transfer any money, it'd just be a way to advertise. The actual ability to conduct transactions would be in IMs and email.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not the voice of forum policy, I'm just telling you what I know. I didn't see the rule I was remembering in a quick glance through the G&T rules thread, though, so maybe it's no longer in effect.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the administration has always said they just don't want/need the hassle of dealing with this sort of thing.

People are allowed to put things for sale/wanted in their sigs, and I don't really see the need for anything beyond that.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Pretty sure it was shot down as they don't even want a hint of liability in that.

The best option has been always advertising in your sig.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since a marketplace forum will probably be shot down, would anyone be interested in making a spinoff marketplace forum for sales? I think it could work reasonably well if we laid down some strict rules and restricted access to members of Penny Arcade who posted for more than a 9 months.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Since a marketplace forum will probably be shot down, would anyone be interested in making a spinoff marketplace forum for sales? I think it could work reasonably well if we laid down some strict rules and restricted access to members of Penny Arcade who posted for more than a 9 months.

Why?

Why not just put stuff in your signature?

Or, you know, use websites dedicated to selling shit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Why?

It's easier to check a forum and instantly see what's for sale rather than stumbling upon sigs. The forum could also eliminate hassles like eBay seller fees.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

And when someone gets dicked, they complain to the PA Mods, saying "FORUMER X swindled me on some other forums, ban him here too."

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No.

Why? Because if the admins where to allow forum users the ability to advertise in the forums, they would open the forums to advertisements from potential companies wanting to advertise on the index page. So you say "Well, what if we disallow commercial/corporate entities from advertising on the forum? That surely wouldn't hurt Penny Arcade's income! Right?" Wrong. One of the reasons why Penny Arcade can charge X amount to potential advertisers is because Penny Arcade is offering them an exclusive shot at your money. If a Market place forum where to be instituted, this exclusive access to your money is gone. Therefore the amount that Penny Arcade can charge would drop.

Linksville on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Why?

It's easier to check a forum and instantly see what's for sale rather than stumbling upon sigs. The forum could also eliminate hassles like eBay seller fees.

It's not the solution you're looking for, but CAG (http://www.cheapassgamer.com) has a healthy trading/buying/selling forum. You could go over there and trade with them. And even though the names change, I think we've got a fair bit of population overlap.

They've also got a nifty feedback system so you know who you're dealing with and what other traders have said about him.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png