As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Jordyn wrote:
    If Mark Hamill isn't playing the Joker, then screw it. They lost their chance to get me watching Batman movies again.

While I don't think he's fit to physically play the part of Joker, I will accept no other voice. All they need to do is get someone else to play the Joker physically and voice over him with Hamill.

Sars_Boy on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Wait a minute...

TheJoker.jpg

Oh no...

The Joker!

I hope someone gets that from Mask of the Phantasm...

Avenrosh on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Azrael wrote:
    I have heard that Jim Carrey had been approached to be The Joker, but that came by way of mouth to me, and could well be bollocks.

That is bollocks, no way they would get someone who was a completly different villian in the second shittiest bat movie to play the joker, never.

Look everyone its a 2 minute paul bettany joker!

joker7hr.jpg

Cariblue on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    You should use photos from Gangster No. 1. He's dressed like a hitman in that movie.

Also, it's a good film.

Avenrosh on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I just read Kingdom Come for the first time.

I love all stories about the DCU's future, and have Batman being the voice of reason that brings everyone back.

I liked DKR, and DKSA for these very reasons. They hate Batman now because he's always toeing the line, but when they cross that line in the future, he's always there to bring them back.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I got ahold of a copy of Batman/Starman/Hellboy.

It is in Spanish and I cant read it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    So I finally picked up DC All-Star Batman and Robin issue 2 today. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I like it. On one hand, I'm not all too thrilled about the psychotic kidnapper that Miller has turned Batman into, but on the other hand I'm rather intrigued by the whole corrupt cop story. I also think that Batman being dramatically insane kind of makes sense, but Miller has portrayed him to have lost all sense of rationality in this story. Seriously, having him fry all of those cops really crossed the line if you ask me. That kind of shit could fly in Dark Knight Returns because Wayne was getting old and frustrated, but having Batman pull that crap in his prime is illogical and stupid. Oh yes, and those scenes with Vicki were absolutely horrendous.

Zodiac Brave on
    edited October 2005
    Cariblue wrote:
    Azrael wrote:
    I have heard that Jim Carrey had been approached to be The Joker, but that came by way of mouth to me, and could well be bollocks.

That is bollocks, no way they would get someone who was a completly different villian in the second shittiest bat movie to play the joker, never.

Look everyone its a 2 minute paul bettany joker!

joker7hr.jpg[img][/img]

God help us if Jim Carrey plays the Joker in the next Batman movie. Paul Bettany looks like he could fit, though I'm still a strong supporter of Adrian Brody. With a Brittany Murphy Harley Quinn. <3

Zodiac Brave on
    edited October 2005
    I really wish someone would make another Batman elseworlds, with a pulp Batman. Did Batman ever appear in Sandman Mystery Theater?

DouglasDanger on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I really wish someone would make another Batman elseworlds, with a pulp Batman. Did Batman ever appear in Sandman Mystery Theater?

If you haven't yet gotten a chance, track down Batman: Black and White, both columes. It is deliciously chockfull of Batman goodness, some pulp, but just good stories overall. Lotta great writers have stories in it

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited October 2005
    That would be cool. I am a big fan of pulp characters. I really want to see pulpy Batman using pistols and stuff, driving around in a 30s car, having a gyrocopter or biplane. Basically, put Batman in some period pulp thing, like ths Shadow, The Rocketerr, sky Captain, etc. I really loved JSA Liberty Files. that was some great stuff. Loved the character designs and everything.

DouglasDanger on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Chen wrote:
    Anyone have some glorious wallpapers to pretty up my desktop?

This, this or this?

Lux on
    edited October 2005
    Chen wrote:
    Anyone have some glorious wallpapers to pretty up my desktop?

My personal favorite.

This one is also rather sexy.

Zodiac Brave on
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    News on the new movie, Nolan was in talks with the studio but he didn't say much about it.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/657/657965p1.html

Cariblue on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2005
    I got Batman: Year One today and read it in a sitting. It was awesome, but now I need more. What should I go to next, The Long Halloween?

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2005
    I think that is the general consesus. Certainly dont read Year Two. It is an awful awful story that doesnt exist. La lalalala

Batman Archives Volume is pretty amazing. Batman was much harder edged back then. At least before Robin showed up.

I am really not comfortable with the idea of youth sidekicks at all. Batman training an apprentice for a really long time is one thing. Do not permit the apprentice to act as a vigilante until the kid is 16 or 18. Put him through a thorough training program/education until then. You shouldnt be taking a kid along with you while you fight crime.

I understand that teen sidekicks were originally created for a variety of reasons. It gives the main character someone to explain things to, instead of all the monologues, so the reader knows what is going on. Sidekicks also give the reader someone to relate. IT makes a lot easier for kids to be pretned to be a boy who is helping a superhero if there really is a sidekick.

The entire idea of official sidekicks is problematic with the increase in realism. Books like Young Avengers handle the teen superhero thing a little more realistically I suppose. I really should try a few issues of that out. The Legion of Superheroes also makes sense. They are kids that dont have the approval of otherwise sane and respectable superheroes.

Batgirl makes much more sense to me as Batman's apprentice due to her situation. Dick could have easily been placed with foster parents. Ditto for Jason. Tim could have done something to help Batman withuot becoming Robin. Something similar to an info gather maybe. I dont know anything about Spoiler.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far against hte current trend of making comics more real.

DouglasDanger on
  • BenMCOBBenMCOB Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    The man who laughs is a great story too that introduces the Joker and takes place not long inbetween Year 1 and the Long Halloween. It wasn't released that long ago so it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of either.

BenMCOB on
    KirbyvsMetaknight.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2005
    I think I'll pick that up, then. Man, I need to find a comic shop close to me. I know of one sort of close, but it's still a bit far and I don't drive.

Also, I'm afraid of going in to comic shops because I fear the people there are all like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, even though I know they aren't.

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Keith wrote:
    I think I'll pick that up, then. Man, I need to find a comic shop close to me. I know of one sort of close, but it's still a bit far and I don't drive.

Also, I'm afraid of going in to comic shops because I fear the people there are all like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, even though I know they aren't.

http://www.dccomics.com/

Upper right hand corner, click on "Find comic shops"

Helped me find a couple in my area that I didn't know existed.

Lux on
    edited October 2005
    Lux wrote:
    Keith wrote:

http://www.dccomics.com/

Upper right hand corner, click on "Find comic shops"

Helped me find a couple in my area that I didn't know existed.

There's actually a store pretty close to me, but they don't have The Man Who Laughs in.

Edit: I called the one I knew about before (my boss goes there all the time, he gave me their business card). They don't have it in (just sold their last one today), but he took down my name and number and will call me if they get more in.

Would I "lose anything" if I read the Long Halloween or anything else before The Man Who Laughs?

Damn you Batman for grabbing ahold of me. I don't want to order any more off the internet, because it sucks to wait a week for something to come in, and then finish it in 2 hours or so. It just makes me want more.

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2005
    My store got in a copy of Batman Begins (DVD), just the normal edition. It doesn't include shit on it. It's literally just the movie.

Oh well, I'll be getting the Deluxe Edition. Circuit City and Best Buy are advertising it for $23, which is fine. I would've paid more than that from Amazon (who has it for $15) with 1-day shipping, because I'm an impatient bastard.

Garlic Bread on
  • BenMCOBBenMCOB Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Keith wrote:
    Would I "lose anything" if I read the Long Halloween or anything else before The Man Who Laughs?

Nothing whatsoever. It's pretty much a stand-alone story that introduces the Joker so the only thing you're "losing" is a great Joker story. It won't really change anything if you read the long halloween before.

BenMCOB on
    KirbyvsMetaknight.jpg
    edited October 2005
    BenMCOB wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Nothing whatsoever. It's pretty much a stand-alone story that introduces the Joker so the only thing you're "losing" is a great Joker story. It won't really change anything if you read the long halloween before.

Alright, I think I'll do that.

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Quick Bat-related question:

How the hell did Batzarro come to be?

Sars_Boy on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Quick Bat-related question:

How the hell did Batzarro come to be?
    Well, you see, Batman exists in bizarro world.

Dex Dynamo on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2005
    This is getting a bit off topic, but what is Bizarro's origin in the post-Crisis DCU? The original Bizarro was an imperfect clone of Superboy, then there was the Bizarro world where there were bizarro versions of everybody (Superman, Batman, Lois, Perry)... What's the deal now? Are they from another dimension?

DMAC on
    edited October 2005
    Post-Crisis Bizarro

Bizarro World was erased from the history of the DC Universe during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Since then, two Bizarros have been created by Lex Luthor. However, in the post-Crisis version, the imperfections in the duplicates are eventually fatal. The first Bizarro created Post-Crisis appeared in Man of Steel #5 (1986). A Bizarro-Superboy was created by Project Cadmus, when they used the same process in their attempts to clone Superman. It was also used to create a Bizarro-Harley Quinn after Bizarro developed a crush on Quinn. The current version of Bizarro has a very different origin, having been created by the Joker by the use of the powers of Mr. Mxyzptlk; his first appearance was in Superman Vol. 2 #160, and he seems to be the longest lived Post-Crisis Bizarro yet.
    [edit]

Appearance

Unlike the original Bizarro, the Post-Crisis Bizarro is not chalky and angular. Instead, he has a greyish skin-tone, yellow eyes, an overly muscular body, and a maniacal smile. Bizarro has a purple and green uniform, and the logo on his chest is inverted, so the "S" is backwards.
    [edit]

Abilities

While in the past Bizarro's abilities have been the same as Superman's, it is now common for Bizarro's heat-vision and freezing-breath to be "reversed": flaming-breath and freezing-vision. He has also been discovered to be physically more powerful than Superman, but the nature of his fractured mind leaves him unable to access that potential.

Post-Crisis Bizarro has only encountered Blue Kryptonite on one occasion, when Batzarro presented him with a ring set with a stone of it. The ring caused Bizarro to speak normally and act rationally, but he was still afraid of the ring. The ring appeared to have no effect on Batzarro.
    [edit]

Linguistics

Post-Crisis Bizarro adopted all of the linguistic idiosyncracies of his pre-crisis self, but also negates every possible word in the sentence. Though the usage is slightly inconsistent, this usually includes:

* Negating verbs.
    * Replacing adjectives with their opposite.
    * Replacing certain nouns with their opposite.

The ultimate end of this causes sentences to frequently have double and triple negatives. Combined with the fact that Bizarro's logic is already flawed, this causes some of his dialogue to be very difficult to follow.
    [edit]

Batzarro

Recently, Jeph Loeb has introduced a Bizarro-Batman, "Batzarro", into the comic book universe in Superman/Batman. His origin is unknown, but his speech patterns are almost identical to those of Bizarro. Just as Bizarro has an inverted "S" on his chest, Batzarro has Batman's logo on his chest, but it is upside-down.

According to Bizarro "Him no come from same place as Bizarro #1. That am why we am so different." This may indicate that Batzarro was also created as part of Joker's World.

from wikipedia.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2005

According to Bizarro "Him no come from same place as Bizarro #1. That am why we am so different." This may indicate that Batzarro was also created as part of Joker's World.

from wikipedia.
    Wouldn't "Him no come from same place as Bizarro #1. That am why we am so different." mean they ARE from the same place and that's why they're so similar?

Dex Dynamo on
    edited October 2005
    Does it mean that Bizarro #1 is not the current Bizarro, so Batzorro came from the same place as this new current Bizarro?

is that what you are saying dex?

Cariblue on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited October 2005
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

from wikipedia.
    Wouldn't "Him no come from same place as Bizarro #1. That am why we am so different." mean they ARE from the same place and that's why they're so similar?

That's why it says 'This may indicate that Batzarro was also created as part of Joker's World'. That's where Bizarro is from.

Knob on
    edited October 2005
    Knob wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

from wikipedia.

That's why it says 'This may indicate that Batzarro was also created as part of Joker's World'. That's where Bizarro is from.
    Upon reading the article, I see what that line meant. I feel like a fool. But moreso, I feel like DC fucked up in ever erasing as perfect a concept as Bizarro World.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Or do you mean that DC did a totally awesome job of getting rid of the retarded idea of Bizarro World?

Me think Bizarro speak sucks!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Man I just got back into comics and quit Batman again. I stopped reading during the beginning of the mediocre War Games and promptly dropped all comics but Gotham Central and Y: The Last Man. Got some back issues from a friend and WTF...

1. Jason Todd is back from the dead for reals this time.
    2. What I loved about Batman was he was an asshole that was grim and witty but still likeable. Now he's just a fucking dick who alienates everyone he knows.
    3. The Clocktower is gone.
    4. Praise the saints Stephanie Brown is dead, but they had to bring a villain back who had the perfect death scene to do the little brat in!
    5. He is now an outlaw again due to being a huge fucking screw up.
    6. Super pacifist/nice lady/surrogate mother Leslie Thompkins is now a murderer and disowned from the Bat-family.
    7. The Joker isn't even a joke. He isn't funny. He is just a big fucking pussy who gets his ass handed to him by every new villain.

What did Batman do to the writers for them to hurt him so bad?

Faceless Coward on
    newsigpa4xj.jpg
    edited October 2005
    I have been reading a lot of Batman lately. The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, Batman Archives v1, Batman World's Finest V1, The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told, etc. I really enjoy the very beginning of Batman, before Robin showed up. I also like Batman in the 70s and 80s. Current Batman, not so much.

DouglasDanger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Man I just got back into comics and quit Batman again. I stopped reading during the beginning of the mediocre War Games and promptly dropped all comics but Gotham Central and Y: The Last Man. Got some back issues from a friend and WTF...

1. Jason Todd is back from the dead for reals this time.
    2. What I loved about Batman was he was an asshole that was grim and witty but still likeable. Now he's just a fucking dick who alienates everyone he knows.
    3. The Clocktower is gone.
    4. Praise the saints Stephanie Brown is dead, but they had to bring a villain back who had the perfect death scene to do the little brat in!
    5. He is now an outlaw again due to being a huge fucking screw up.
    6. Super pacifist/nice lady/surrogate mother Leslie Thompkins is now a murderer and disowned from the Bat-family.
    7. The Joker isn't even a joke. He isn't funny. He is just a big fucking pussy who gets his ass handed to him by every new villain.

What did Batman do to the writers for them to hurt him so bad?

Joker seemed to hand Black Mask his ass pretty easy.

Bloods End on
    edited October 2005
    Batman Begins is still fanfuckingtastic.

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2005
    Golden Yak wrote:
    Or do you mean that DC did a totally awesome job of getting rid of the retarded idea of Bizarro World?

Except that Bizarro is a fun character and you're just plain wrong.

Dex Dynamo on
  • BatzarroBatzarro Registered User new member
    edited October 2005
    Golden Yak wrote:

Celibate me!

Me am not the religion approved Batzarro!

bizarrofinger.jpg

Batzarro on
    edited October 2005
    Keith wrote:
    Batman Begins is still fanfuckingtastic.

Zodiac Brave on
This discussion has been closed.