As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weeaboo] Because foreign children's shows are way better than domestic

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    hmm..Vagrant's image makes want to read this R+V, but the OP makes me not want to read it.

What the ratio of badass to harem/twighlightyness?

First off ignore Twilight comparisons because well frankly nothing else could ever be as awful as Twilight except the Twilight Anime. Abut the only similarity between the two is there are Werewolves and Vampires.

The Badass starts fairly early. Once they join the Newspaper club the Harem antics tone down a lot and Tsukune starts getting Ghoul powers and cool fights.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just watched the first Eden of the East movie.

That was great. Damnit, I want to watch the second movie RIGHT NOW.

Only disappointment in the whole thing: they should have kept Oasis.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Eden Movie impressions!
    But first: oh god how long do we have to wait for the second movie? D:
    Ahaha, Oshugi still gets no respect from anyone.
    It's good to see that two memory wipes later, Akira's still the same as ever. Though how he couldn't have known he was the "Air King" is anyone's guess.

Mononobe's a huge bastard, but why exactly is No. 2 in on this again? I don't remember if it was explained in the show. Still, unless 12 pulls something, he's definitely been set up as the main villain. Interesting that each Seleção gets their own Juiz, though it's weird that the Johnny Taker's is the only one with its own voice and personality.
    Hm? Number XI didn't have a different voice. It was the same Juiz as everyone else. They all just had unique inflections to their personality, and a different "may you blah blah blah savior" statement.

Also, number 6 is fucking hilarious

Jragghen on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The movie is out? I have something to look forward to!

Only Strong World can top this anticipation.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hmm..Vagrant's image makes want to read this R+V, but the OP makes me not want to read it.

I fixed up the OP to clarify the differences between the anime and manga.

The manga is essentially 100% badass.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The movie is out? I have something to look forward to!

Only Strong World can top this anticipation.

First one is, yep.

Check your typical Bleach source. :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »

hmm..okay. I'll drink your kool-aid, B:L. Look to your nearest wall if I enjoy it because I'm busting through it.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Bremen wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    *snip*

You know I probably should have admitted this earlier... but I only get maybe 4 out of every 10 random picture references you post.

This isn't one of those four.

Alternately:
    Aroduc wrote: »
    This one time, at band camp...
    It's a manga spoiler for Kannazuki.

Huge spoiler
    Chikane still rapes Himeko to try and force her to hate her, but for whatever reason does it with a flute in the manga.

Wow.

I'm not ever watching that. I have a low tolerance of emotional trauma type stuff.

She gets better.

It's actually a bit disturbing how quickly she gets better, but that seems to be in the nature of her character.
    Falx what the hell. Why did you click that spoiler if you weren't aware of at least the anime plot.

Seriously don't be a silly goose and just watch the show. Low tolerance of emotional trauma? o_O

I mean, it's not like I'm making you watch Saikano here.

I'd already pretty much figured it out from Aroduc's reply anyway so it's not like you spoiled me.

But anyway yeah low tolerance... I was on anti-depressants for years and only just recently came off them... something like Kannadzuki will mess me up for weeks. Saikano would probably kill me. Not even my own friends know how screwed up I was after watching Tokyo Magnitude. I know you loved it, Spec and it probably is even better than you said it is. But I just cannot watch it. Sorry.

Falx on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KnM has the most beautiful ending ever

you know what I'm talking about

that one scene on the street

and it's just like i shed a single tear of happiness and then the show is over

Senshi on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hajime no Ippo

UGGGGGGGGGGGH FIGHT END ALREADY

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    Despite recommendations, I tried to put off Hajime No Ippo because I knew I would get hooked as soon as I started watching. With over 70 episodes and who knows how many OVAs, it would be a serious time sink.

Well it's too late for me now. :(

76 episodes, 3 OVAs and a 24 episode second season to be precise.

All fantastic.

It is a damn shame the manga is in a bit of a rut at the moment.

At what point do I watch the 3 OVAs? Do they take place during a specific arc?
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Hajime no Ippo

This is a common complaint with most SJ shows, but just how long can they possibly drag out a 12 round boxing fight? :?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Despite recommendations, I tried to put off Hajime No Ippo because I knew I would get hooked as soon as I started watching. With over 70 episodes and who knows how many OVAs, it would be a serious time sink.

All fantastic.

Actually one of them is a movie but you can watch them in any order after the series really.

Edit: The current fight in the manga, based on what I've seen, is awful because it is the gimmickiest gimmicky fight the series has seen and there have been some really bad gimmicks

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »

hmm..okay. I'll drink your kool-aid, B:L. Look to your nearest wall if I enjoy it because I'm busting through it.
    rosarioohyeah.jpg

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bremen wrote: »
    It's a manga spoiler for Kannazuki.

Huge spoiler
    Chikane still rapes Himeko to try and force her to hate her, but for whatever reason does it with a flute in the manga.

Wow.

I'm not ever watching that. I have a low tolerance of emotional trauma type stuff.

She gets better.

It's actually a bit disturbing how quickly she gets better, but that seems to be in the nature of her character.
    Falx what the hell. Why did you click that spoiler if you weren't aware of at least the anime plot.

Seriously don't be a silly goose and just watch the show. Low tolerance of emotional trauma? o_O

I mean, it's not like I'm making you watch Saikano here.

I'd already pretty much figured it out from Aroduc's reply anyway so it's not like you spoiled me.

But anyway yeah low tolerance... I was on anti-depressants for years and only just recently came off them... something like Kannadzuki will mess me up for weeks. Saikano would probably kill me. Not even my own friends know how screwed up I was after watching Tokyo Magnitude. I know you loved it, Spec and it probably is even better than you said it is. But I just cannot watch it. Sorry.
    *hugs* Some day, Falx. Some day!

It's okay. Kannazuki originally aired the same season as My Hime.

After episode (pika puff spoiler)
    of both shows, I was a complete and utter WRECK for that week. Could not do anything, missed classes. Just really, really depressing.
    Senshi wrote: »

I did indeed cry a little. It was as if a great weight was lifted.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Slicer wrote: »

All fantastic.

Actually one of them is a movie but you can watch them in any order after the series really.

Edit: The current fight in the manga, based on what I've seen, is awful because it is the gimmickiest gimmicky fight the series has seen and there have been some really bad gimmicks

Don't tell me it's something along the lines of

"Because these two boxers have shown tremendous fighting spirit, and at the request of the audience watching, we're going to bring this fight into infinite overtime!"

Because I really don't want any bullshit that goes beyond the standard rules of boxing. I don't mind the anime super-strength or anything, but keep it within Rocky levels.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This new thread title might be worse than the pedophile one

I can't really decide

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can't wait until I take over the next thread.

It's going to be so OHHHMMMMMMazing.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Slicer wrote: »

All fantastic.

Don't tell me it's something along the lines of

"Because these two boxers have shown tremendous fighting spirit, and at the request of the audience watching, we're going to bring this fight into infinite overtime!"

Because I really don't want any bullshit that goes beyond the standard rules of boxing. I don't mind the anime super-strength or anything, but keep it within Rocky levels.

No, it never does anything ridiculous. Everything is pretty much grounded in realism for the most part.

The current fight just seems long when it's "Holy crap, he's against the ropes now" for about ten chapters.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    This new thread title might be worse than the pedophile one

I can't really decide

Why not have the best of both worlds?
    lolisario01.jpg

lolisario02.jpg

lolisario03.jpg

lolisario04.jpg

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The first Ippo series is fun enough. The fights rarely go past 2 episodes and there are no big gimmicks, just boxers with different styles.

The movie, though. Holy hell was it stupid. Made me stop watching AND stop caring. Gimmick fight stupidity of epic proportions. Apparently the second series gets gimmicky as well, but I don't know for sure.

For actual reference, the gimmick in the movie was that the main character fights a guy who's going to med school or something, and every time he lands a punch he gets an exact read of his opponent's physical health and state. Like, he can tell how much longer he'll be able to fight and where he's weak. In the series proper it was just "this guy is really fast, this guy has long reach, this guy punches really hard." They never really screw with the rules, though.

And every fight IS won through "fighting spirit." It's a major theme in the show. The main character Rocky's his way through at least the first half of the show. Every win is a comeback, every opponent is better trained, that sort of thing.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the gimmicky fights are the worst.

However, the fights that are sheer guts and punching are awesome.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    The first Ippo series is fun enough. The fights rarely go past 2 episodes and there are no big gimmicks, just boxers with different styles.

The movie, though. Holy hell was it stupid. Made me stop watching AND stop caring. Gimmick fight stupidity of epic proportions. Apparently the second series gets gimmicky as well, but I don't know for sure.

For actual reference, the gimmick in the movie was that the main character fights a guy who's going to med school or something, and every time he lands a punch he gets an exact read of his opponent's physical health and state. Like, he can tell how much longer he'll be able to fight and where he's weak. In the series proper it was just "this guy is really fast, this guy has long reach, this guy punches really hard."

And every fight IS won through "fighting spirit." It's a major theme in the show. The main character Rocky's his way through at least the first half of the show.

Well, that's how I would expect most of the fights to end. In boxing it's really a matter of who can outlast who. It's how Rocky won most of his fights, not some bullshit "I can see his weakpoint! Gataiiiiii Bustaaaaa!"

• Options
    edited March 2010

For actual reference, the gimmick in the movie was that the main character fights a guy who's going to med school or something, and every time he lands a punch he gets an exact read of his opponent's physical health and state. Like, he can tell how much longer he'll be able to fight and where he's weak. In the series proper it was just "this guy is really fast, this guy has long reach, this guy punches really hard."

And every fight IS won through "fighting spirit." It's a major theme in the show. The main character Rocky's his way through at least the first half of the show.

Well, that's how I would expect most of the fights to end. In boxing it's really a matter of who can outlast who. It's how Rocky won most of his fights, not some bullshit "I can see his weakpoint! Gataiiiiii Bustaaaaa!"

I would watch a show about space boxing if it had that.

Probably only a couple of episodes.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Boxer's Requiem! Cross-Counter Galactic Stoooooorm!!!"

(20 hits)

"Im....possible....."

K.O.

• Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

For actual reference, the gimmick in the movie was that the main character fights a guy who's going to med school or something, and every time he lands a punch he gets an exact read of his opponent's physical health and state. Like, he can tell how much longer he'll be able to fight and where he's weak. In the series proper it was just "this guy is really fast, this guy has long reach, this guy punches really hard." They never really screw with the rules, though.

And every fight IS won through "fighting spirit." It's a major theme in the show. The main character Rocky's his way through at least the first half of the show. Every win is a comeback, every opponent is better trained, that sort of thing.

The second series isn't too bad at all with the gimmick fights honestly, the movie is the worst offender as far as animated material. Honestly the only gimmick fight I remember from the 2nd series is "hey Ippo knows this guy so he's finding it hard to beat the crap out of him".

The second series has one of the best Takamura fights, so it's worth watching for that alone.

Slicer on
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah, that was cute. I just finished up the manga, and I found the way they ended it unintentionally hilarious.
    For a moment, I thought they were just going to sleep together for all eternity. Nearly died laughing 'til I saw there were a few more pages.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the fights where Ippo just utterly dominates his opponent. There's been like, only two of those.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love watching him Dempsey the fuck out of someone.

Someday, he'll kill a man with it. I know it.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haha yeah, every one of his opponents had the "WTF is this even legal" look on their faces as Ippo wails on him.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh wow, I had no idea there was a third quasi-season of Higurashi

this shit is hilarious

Senshi on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Narom wrote: »

Yeah, that was cute. I just finished up the manga, and I found the way they ended it unintentionally hilarious.
    For a moment, I thought they were just going to sleep together for all eternity. Nearly died laughing 'til I saw there were a few more pages.
    People who've finished KnM, consider listening to the OP and ED again with a critical eye.
    Those songs give away SO MUCH of the series. I originally viewed the OP as from Himeko's perspective and the ED as from Chikane's, but on further reflection I believe they're both from Chikane's.

The OP is Chikane remembering their previous incarnations, thinking how she can't confess her feelings to Himeko, and willing to give everything up for her.

The ED is Chikane thinking about how happy she is just being near Himeko, hardening her resolve for what she'll do during the series, looking forward to their next destined meeting.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hajime no Ippo

Takamura jumps in to be the chapter's saving grace once again. THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP!

The best gimmick was the dude who was black though.

I love the fights where Ippo just utterly dominates his opponent. There's been like, only two of those.

Especially since you go into every fight waiting for it to be the usual formula and then he just flattens them.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Really? I hated Gedo. probably my least favorite fight.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Really? I hated Gedo. probably my least favorite fight.

No, waaay back in the Rookie Kings arc. Ozuma.

Dude is black!

They just have a natural racial advantage, I mean, have you tried looking for a black guy before? They are very sneaky and hard to see.

I am with you on Gedo.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh. I see what you mean.

I get you

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh. I see what you mean.

That's because I'm white!

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hajime no Ippo
    I still really like the OVA where Kimura fights Mashiba.

Such a good story.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Might be worth spoiling that one for Prof because of the characters.

I liked that fight a lot and the OVA was better than it was in the manga to boot.
    The part where the music kicks in and starts to ramp up and you're like holy shit he's going to take down Mashiba and it keeps going and then he gets taken down was built up so well.

Kelor on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh wow, I had no idea there was a third quasi-season of Higurashi

this shit is hilarious

It's short but sweet... and if you know anything about Umineko it has a huge twist that may otherwise be lost.

I'm getting a 4mb uncapped line in a few days... so awesome.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Narom wrote: »

People who've finished KnM, consider listening to the OP and ED again with a critical eye.
    Those songs give away SO MUCH of the series. I originally viewed the OP as from Himeko's perspective and the ED as from Chikane's, but on further reflection I believe they're both from Chikane's.

The OP is Chikane remembering their previous incarnations, thinking how she can't confess her feelings to Himeko, and willing to give everything up for her.

The ED is Chikane thinking about how happy she is just being near Himeko, hardening her resolve for what she'll do during the series, looking forward to their next destined meeting.

I love both those tracks and I'm a whore for lyrics but somehow anything sung in anything but English doesn't leave a lasting impact even if I know what they mean.

Might have another look at it considering Chikane is one of my favorite characters ever.

also falx bro you have the best avatar but you knew this already

Senshi on
This discussion has been closed.